gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:47:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208858 times)
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2019, 08:09:44 PM »

Just got my ticket to the Beacon Theatre show! I’m really excited! Friends and Surf’s Up are my two favorite non-Pet Sounds/SMiLE Beach Boys albums. A tour/show like this was something I always hoped would happen, but that I never thought would actually happen.

How did you get your ticket already?

Some pre-sales for certain dates began today at 1 PM EST US. Non-presale tickets go on sale Friday I believe.

Did you need a pre-sale password?  The site for the venue in Milwaukee has an artist's presale at 10 a.m. tomorrow, but there's no such info on bw.com other than just the tour dates.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2019, 04:37:35 AM »

Just got my ticket to the Beacon Theatre show! I’m really excited! Friends and Surf’s Up are my two favorite non-Pet Sounds/SMiLE Beach Boys albums. A tour/show like this was something I always hoped would happen, but that I never thought would actually happen.

Some pre-sales for certain dates began today at 1 PM EST US. Non-presale tickets go on sale Friday I believe.

Did you need a pre-sale password?  The site for the venue in Milwaukee has an artist's presale at 10 a.m. tomorrow, but there's no such info on bw.com other than just the tour dates.

In this case I did not, although in the past I have had to use codes for these kinds of presales, yes.  The presale for the Beacon Theatre yesterday was for Chase Preferred cardmembers. There was also one for Citi cardmembers. But simply paying for the tickets with my Case Preferred card was all that was needed this time. Ticketmaster should have more information regarding presale requirements.

For those of you on social media, the Facebook event pages for the concert dates (which can be found on Brian and Al’s Facebook fan pages in their events tabs) should contain direct links to the Ticketmaster pages for said dates.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2019, 05:32:40 AM »

According to a Zombies fan FB  site - try ROCKHALL for presale code. Hope that works!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »

password for Milwaukee is Friends.  Presale started 12 minutes ago
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »

I hope the reviewers don't get too rough on this tour. I don't closely follow The Zombies, but I caught their TV performance recently doing "Time of the Season" and Blunstone sounded pretty warbly, with a seemingly uncontrollable excessive vibrato when having to sing old falsetto-ish lines in full-voice.

no, thats how the song is my guy- Colin sounds the same as he always did, he has not destroyed his voice from year after year of touring....because he didnt do that
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »

I hope the reviewers don't get too rough on this tour. I don't closely follow The Zombies, but I caught their TV performance recently doing "Time of the Season" and Blunstone sounded pretty warbly, with a seemingly uncontrollable excessive vibrato when having to sing old falsetto-ish lines in full-voice.

no, thats how the song is my guy- Colin sounds the same as he always did, he has not destroyed his voice from year after year of touring....because he didnt do that

I think he did sound a little off on the Fallon performance which I think HeyJude is referring to but in general, Colin still sounds fantastic.  And the band's Hall of Fame set was pretty killer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqQ6MdmF4LA

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »

Nope, I caught the Fallon performance and it sounded *nothing* like the original record on Blunstone's lead vocal. I'm not trying to cast extra stones; I've listened to tons of wonky Beach Boys and solo Beach Boys live performances, going back years.

The Fallon performance appears to now be strangely difficult to find online, and I readily admit I've not yet checked other very recent performances. Perhaps the Fallon show was an anomaly.

But on Fallon, while the backing band sounded fine, Blunstone was very much struggling. It sounds like he still has plenty of tone in the lower ranges, and perhaps just can't do the falsetto-ish voicings from the old record, and therefore was singing everything full-force, full-voiced, and it sounded extremely wobbly with waaaay too much vibrato like he coudln't control it.

It was like the polar opposite of a bad Brian live show night. Where Brian will go low energy and kind of mumble out some lyrics if he's having a bad night, Blunstone was putting like a thousand times *too much* power and was completely losing control of his voice.

Anyway, I'm not passing judgment on Blunstone's overall present vocal ability. But to be clear, that Fallon performance did NOT sound like the original recording. It didn't even sound like when I heard Rod Argent sing the song himself with Ringo's band back in 2006. Argent actually sang Zombies and Argent songs all by himself on that tour and sounded great.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:23:01 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2019, 11:27:52 AM »

I picked up 2 for the Vegas show, and I'm from Vancouver, BC.  Seattle is closer but on a Monday night. Now to find a reasonable package at the end of August.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2019, 11:45:37 AM »

After seeing Brian's Christmas show last December, I told myself I was done.

Then he's strolling into town with the Zombies, who I've never seen, and they are playing one of my favorite albums of all-time.

Here I go again.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »

I just want a chance to hear the band play Surf's Up.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »

If I'm being honest, at this point, I'm going more for the band than Brian. Brian is basically a non-factor in his own concerts now. He's not very active, and when we saw him in November, he was
obviously suffering from excruciating back pain (why wasn't he in a wheelchair??)....have to say, the few leads he did during the Christmas portion were actually good, but it was more like, "Oh...Brian's here!" than "a Brian Wilson concert." I know this sounds terrible, but I'm convinced the main reason he's still touring is the access to steakhouses while on the road. He's said time and time again that he wants to continue touring, but he...doesn't really do much in the concerts any more. (And I will never be convinced that Brian doesn't want to be touring. History proves that if he truly doesn't want to do something, he doesn't. The exception: getting away from Landy...who was his legal guardian and likely threatened him with institutionalization if he tried to escape.)

I'm really upset that Wondermints technically no longer exist, so this is the only way I'll get to see those guys together. Still kicking myself for not flying out to LA for the Knitting Factory show back in 2002.

Al and Blondie are both great. Amazing how much intact Al's voice is after all these decades! Blondie steals the show. I know some people hate that, but man, he brings such energy!

Having said all that....okay, I guess Brian *is* at least a bit of a factor. When I became a fan, it was during a time that except for very rare one-offs, it was unheard of for Brian to be on stage. I resigned myself to the knowledge that...I'd never get to see him. Even when 1999 happened, I was convinced that it was the only time I'd ever get to see him -- after the Beacon Theater show, I said out loud, "There's NO WAY he'll ever agree to do this again!" Fact is, i got deep into my fandom thinking I'd never see Brian...but man, I'm taking every opportunity I can to see him while I can. Yeah, on his best nights lately he's mediocre performance-wise, but he needs to know his fans love him.

And I'll give him a standing ovation for "God Only Knows." I was lucky enough to hear it the only *truly* acceptable way -- with Carl singing it -- live only one time, but damned if that ain't an ideal song.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »

Quick Query,
My wife has so graciously let me know about Brian coming to Dayton ohio with one catch. I am disabled and cant drive and I wounderd if anyone coming from Cincy<I live in Springdale> if I could catch a ride< nbe more than happy to pay for gas>
Thanks
Lad
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »

but he needs to know his fans love him.

And I'll give him a standing ovation for "God Only Knows." I was lucky enough to hear it the only *truly* acceptable way -- with Carl singing it -- live only one time, but damned if that ain't an ideal song.

God, this. I've only seen him once, but there was something electric and magical about watching all the audience lose their mind over just seeing him onstage and yelling, "We love you!" and giving standing ovations after everything. I FEEL IT. It's such an honor to get to be a part of that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:43:37 PM by thelonelysea » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »

I'm going to hold out hope that shaking up the setlist to this extent (Friends, Surf's Up deep cuts) will give Brian some extra juice on this tour. But either way... I'll be there!

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2019, 05:05:12 AM »

I originally posted this in the livestream topic but I'll switch it because discussion has moved over here:

Just going to add my random two cents.  Please don't anyone take this as I'm attacking Brian; I love the man and his music and talents just like the rest of you, and I know much less of what he's been through (compared to the rest of you) because I haven't bought/read as many books yet.

I went to see Brian, Al, and Blondie perform Pet Sounds in 2017.  I knew Brian's vocals wouldn't be anything like the 60's of course, but I think I was expecting something on par with 2012.  As I'm still diving head first, I heard a lot of new songs (for me) that I loved...my first dive into Wild Honey started here.  I was initially lukewarm on Pet Sounds (other than the hits), but it's growing on me.  Obviously I was somewhat disappointed and saddened, because although I know we've heard to the contrary, but other than a couple of songs, he sounds like he doesn't want to be there.  "God Only Knows" (either from that show or what I've heard on YouTube around that time) made me extremely sad...does anyone think Brian's decline could connect to the fact that the full band isn't touring?  It sounds stupid, I know, but he was pretty engaged from what I've been able to hear on the C50 live album and from various clips on YouTube.  On the other hand, Al impressed me as expected.  I wasn't as initially happy with Blondie, but warmed up.  Same with Matt.  When I listened to the Wild Honey album and Let Him Run Wild, I was shocked.  I had liked Foskett more before, but now I had switched to Matt.  If I'm right, I had just learned about California Saga shortly before my show, thinking it was Cool Cool Water, and let's just say the real Cool Cool Water was a shock to hear, but I loved it (California Saga).  That song just does something to me.  Beach Boys + a country vibe?  Yes please.   The only thing that disappointed me with Al was that he refused in a kind of harsh way to sign my original 1966 cover of Pet Sounds.  Maybe that was a venue thing though?  I hope so because he's supposedly been fairly courteous.  Maybe he wasn't happy that he wasn't allowed to sign things:?

EDIT: Oh and watching a bit of this show (livestream) last night didn't help.

Because of Brian's vocals, and the price, my family has been trying to persuade me from going if Brian's still going to be "detached."   I know he's gone through a lot, but I really enjoyed seeing Al (and can't see him because I'll be on vacation when he comes), and my interest has really been piqued by this new Brian/Al/Blondie/Zombies tour.  Not that I really listen to the Zombies (other than She's Not There), but the idea of Surf's Up cuts, Friends cuts, and other deep cuts makes me want to make the drive to NYC in September.  Ok, tirade over.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2019, 05:15:24 AM »

It’s 2019 right..? Soooo shouldn’t 20/20 be the album that’s celebrated? But hey whatever.

It's not billed as a 50th anniversary tour.  And he's not playing "Friends" in full.  It's just letting people know what to expect.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »

Like a lot of people here I am a Brian fan first and a Beach Boy fan second. Over the years , for me, Brian could do no wrong. I've made excuses for him, tried to explain it away or just laughed it off. However between the unusual vocals for Pet Sounds, The Christmas tour, Beach Life, and various other shows I think what I am seeing is sad. What the answer is I don't know, I just don't like what I am hearing. At this point Brian's voice is truly toast and at almost 77 years I don't think it's coming back.  I think Hey Jude said that these shows should be billed as something like "Brian Wilson presents the music of the Beach Boys " just to show that Brian is more of a host than a participant. To me, because I love Brian, what's going on now is embarrassing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49:05 AM »

While the band has pleasantly surprised us with the setlist in the past, I think it's good to keep in mind that there probably aren't going to be a TON of Friends/Surf's Up tracks we haven't seen on recent tours.

It's a double-billed show, so the Brian set will already be likely a bit shorter than his longer setlists of the past. I'd guess we're looking at 25-30 songs rather than 32 to 35, etc. The Zombies are doing the full O&O album plus presumably some other stuff.

Brian will undoubtedly be doing his standard setlist of recent years, with some things switched out for Friends/Surf's Up. But they've already had "Wake the World" and "Busy Doin' Nothin'" in the setlist recently (though "BDN" probably not since 2015). They've been doing "Feel Flows" for a few years now.

I'm guessing we'll probably see from Friends, "Wake the World", "Busy Doin' Nothin'", possibly "Meant for You" and "Friends", and *maybe* one other track ("Be Here in the Morning"?).

And then for "Surf's Up", I'd imagine we'd get "Feel Flows", "Surf's Up", maybe "'Til I Die", possibly "Lookin' at Tomorrow" from Al (rehearsed by Brian's band in 2014), maybe "Long Promised Road" in light of it having been re-recorded for the upcoming documentary, and/or maybe one other surprise ("Take a Load" or "Don't Go Near" or maybe "...Tree.")

But I don't see them adding more than 3-5 total songs from both albums that haven't already been in the setlist recently. They're probably facing a 90-minute-ish setlist that will undoubtedly include at least 15 to 20 songs that are always locked in.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »

After seeing Brian's Christmas show last December, I told myself I was done.

Then he's strolling into town with the Zombies, who I've never seen, and they are playing one of my favorite albums of all-time.

Here I go again.

Same.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »

I'm guessing we'll probably see from Friends, "Wake the World", "Busy Doin' Nothin'", possibly "Meant for You" and "Friends", and *maybe* one other track ("Be Here in the Morning"?).

And then for "Surf's Up", I'd imagine we'd get "Feel Flows", "Surf's Up", maybe "'Til I Die", possibly "Lookin' at Tomorrow" from Al (rehearsed by Brian's band in 2014), maybe "Long Promised Road" in light of it having been re-recorded for the upcoming documentary, and/or maybe one other surprise ("Take a Load" or "Don't Go Near" or maybe "...Tree.")

I know what you're saying, but hey, no issue here. That would be a pretty amazingly cool run of deep cuts. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »

Looking at recent setlists, including the most recent “non-Pet Sounds/Christmas Album” shows, as a basis for an ongoing setlist, and keeping in mind it’s a double-billed tour with the Zombies, as well as remembering the “core” songs they always do, I’d guess this Friends/Surf’s Up-infused setlist will look something vaguely like this:

1.   California Girls
1.   Dance Dance Dance
2.   I Get Around
3.   Shut Down
4.   Little Deuce Coupe
5.   Surfer Girl
6.   Don’t Worry Baby
7.   Meant for You
8.   Friends
9.   Wake the World
10.   Busy Doin’ Nothin’
11.   California Saga: California
12.   Darlin’
13.   ‘Til I Die
14.   Surf’s Up
15.   Lookin’ at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
16.   Long Promised Road
17.   Feel Flows
18.   Wild Honey
19.   Sail on Sailor
20.   Do It Again
21.   Wouldn’t It Be Nice
22.   Sloop John B.
23.   God Only Knows
24.   Good Vibrations
25.   All Summer Long
26.   Help Me Rhonda
27.   Barbara Ann’
28.   Surfin’ USA
29.   Fun Fun Fun
30.   Love and Mercy

Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »

we got the tickets and a little excited. I try to keep my expectations pretty low<I saw him xmas of 2016 in cincy and he was so much better than expected> I almost didnt want to go but you never know if you get the chaNCE AGAIB.  I wish The beach boys were playing close because I like what the group jas begun<saying a lot because I use to be argntly against Mike and his group> We got a family friend to take me and it will be fun introduing him to Pet Sounds> The Zombies I could do without but it could be worse.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »

Looking at recent setlists, including the most recent “non-Pet Sounds/Christmas Album” shows, as a basis for an ongoing setlist, and keeping in mind it’s a double-billed tour with the Zombies, as well as remembering the “core” songs they always do, I’d guess this Friends/Surf’s Up-infused setlist will look something vaguely like this:

1.   California Girls
1.   Dance Dance Dance
2.   I Get Around
3.   Shut Down
4.   Little Deuce Coupe
5.   Surfer Girl
6.   Don’t Worry Baby
7.   Meant for You
8.   Friends
9.   Wake the World
10.   Busy Doin’ Nothin’
12.   Darlin’
13.   ‘Til I Die
14.   Surf’s Up
16.   Long Promised Road
17.   Feel Flows
18.   Wild Honey
19.   Sail on Sailor
20.   Do It Again
22.   Sloop John B.
23.   God Only Knows
24.   Good Vibrations
25.   All Summer Long
26.   Help Me Rhonda
27.   Barbara Ann’
28.   Surfin’ USA
29.   Fun Fun Fun
30.   Love and Mercy

I wonder if some of these Friends/Surf's Up songs will appear in the Pet Sounds shows too. I hope so, considering I'm seeing what appears to be the last Pet Sounds show ... of 2019.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:47:19 AM by Gettin Hungry » Logged
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »

1.   California Girls
1.   Dance Dance Dance
2.   I Get Around
3.   Shut Down
4.   Little Deuce Coupe
5.   Surfer Girl
6.   Don’t Worry Baby
7.   Meant for You
8.   Friends
9.   Wake the World
10.   Busy Doin’ Nothin’
12.   Darlin’
13.   ‘Til I Die
14.   Surf’s Up
16.   Long Promised Road
17.   Feel Flows
18.   Wild Honey
19.   Sail on Sailor
20.   Do It Again
22.   Sloop John B.
23.   God Only Knows
24.   Good Vibrations
25.   All Summer Long
26.   Help Me Rhonda
27.   Barbara Ann’
28.   Surfin’ USA
29.   Fun Fun Fun
30.   Love and Mercy

Gosh i'm so sick of Brian doing these 4 songs in a row:
1.   Dance Dance Dance
2.   I Get Around
3.   Shut Down
4.   Little Deuce Coupe

Al sounds great on the car songs I know but those are two Al leads that could be used on something better, I Get Around you have to play I get that but Brian went years without playing Deuce Coupe and Shut Down. Dance Dance Dance seems  more unnecessary to me, I know it was Top 10 and i'm essentially removing 3 well known songs but come on leave those songs to Mike's greatest hit jukebox lol
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »

baseball95,
I definitely understand where you're coming from. In fact, before I read your comment I was preparing to post that I wish Dance, Dance, Dance would be swapped out for something else.

I completely understand Brian playing I Get Around. His first number one, and more than that, Brian flexing his songwriting/production muscles at a time when The Beatles had just "invaded". At a time when most American acts were cowering to or copying The Beatles, Brian was doing his own thing, and totally progressing. I'd almost be shocked to see a BW show without I Get Around.

As for Deuce Coupe and Shut Down, they can feel really inconsequential and like filler in the greater context of BW's career. I'm not the first person to say this, so I can't take credit for the idea, but the way I see it, is Brian must like playing Rock N Roll, feel like a teenager again, which was something he didn't get to do a lot of during his career with The BBs. He quit touring so early on, and of course had struggles with touring in the 70's and 80's. His solo career has been his first chance, when you think about it, for him to play his songs, comfortably, under his own conditions. Playing those car songs sure looked like fun in the 60's and Bri probably includes them in there cause he gets a kick out of playing them. Either that, or he and his team have deemed them necessary crowd pleasers, which is a nice pivot to Dance, Dance, Dance.

I dig Dance, Dance, Dance. It has a great bassline and it's a totally fun song. But given the potential tight setlist we'll be getting with the double booking, I would like to see Dance, Dance, Dance swapped out with something else. That doesn't mean it needs to be replaced with a deep cut or anything heavy, but maybe just rotate it with some other rockers. Just to keep things fresh. Even Mike has switched songs like It's OK, Farmer's Daughter, Still Cruisin, Good To My Baby, etc around during his equivalent "getting the crowd warmed up with the fun songs" part of the show. Some songs I'd be happy to hear instead, that could still work in that context are Hawaii, Be True, Surf City, Catch A Wave... you get the point, other classic crowd pleasers to warm the audience up, I'm growing a little tired of DDD. Although, if BW personally really likes playing it I'm fine with it staying.

It's funny how Mike still gets criticized for being the traveling jukebox when his and Brian's setlists are getting increasingly similar, with Mike's actually having a little more variety. I understand the accusation in 1999, when Mike was playing "Duke of Earl" while Brian was playing "The Night Was So Young". Things have clearly changed since then. We now have BW shows with only one solo BW song and BBs shows with 3 or 4 ML solo songs, who woulda thunk LOL? Personally, I'm fine with Mike sprinkling in multiple solo songs, and I'd be fine with BW doing the same.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx