gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Recording of "It's OK"  (Read 15104 times)
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fypoqXaQHo0&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Best I could do at the time

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »

Thank you Jiggy22!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »

While I don't understand the point of why it was done, I don't think Mike sounds bad. His older, weathered voice seems to work pretty well on this one.

Now granted, I was listening from a TV at a low-ish volume. There is likely a slathering of autotune. I also thought the "sum-sum-summer" thing at the beginning was definitely similar to the backing vocals that feature later in the original version of the song.

I have to get back to the point and say I don't understand why this was done though? New, non-holiday album? New single? Why is this gonna get attention if his "Do It Again" single didn't?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »

Your dedication to getting this recorded somehow is much appreciated.

And yes, this thing, even hearing it "off-line", sounds like it was indeed soaked in autotune. As bad as the other "Unleash" tracks.

Considering the other "collaborations" on Mike's album last year (including that one track that I don't even think Mike or anybody in his band appears on), I wouldn't be surprised if this was recorded around that same time, perhaps either considered for and cut from "Unleash", or recorded for an upcoming Hanson release of some sort. (Keep in mind there are undoubtedly "Unleash" outtakes, and/or other tracks Mike has recorded in recent years. He even included a bit of a re-recorded 4/4 "Big Sur" in a video promo deal for, I believe, his book back in 2016).

I think it's quite possible that Mike has personally serviced at least a few of the tracks for the SiriusXM channel. For instance, unless the SiriusXM folks pulled out some vinyl (or a fan rip), they probably had to secure "Almost Summer" from Mike, as Mike owns all of the "Celebration" tapes. I'm guessing he offered this new "It's OK" to the channel. Why he wouldn't then also plug whatever the track is intended for, I don't know.

It will be interesting if this track is simply never heard from again. Unlikely, but not impossible.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:52:49 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »

Thanks for recording it.

Well that sure sucked.

Why on earth did Mike decide to not release the re-record of Big Sur? Of all the cruddy remakes he has released recently, that's like the only one that probably could've stood a chance at getting some real praise from people in Mike Love "Reevaluation Mode". I hope he doesn't get the bright idea to re-record All I Wanna Do with special guest Gavin Rossdale.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »

Considering Mike participated in at least three remakes of "Do It Again" in the course of six or so years, I think all bets are off as far as re-recording old tracks.

I *still* maintain Mike would have been better off just issuing that 2004 compilation of tracks; better song selection, better performances, better recording/mixing/mastering, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 05:01:38 AM »

Ah, thanks for that. Well...it's hard to hear, but I prefer the original. I can hear that Mike is singing the first verse and Taylor Hanson is singing the second, but I couldn't have guessed it was Hanson unless I knew beforehand, at least not based on this video. It's actually much more poppy than what they normally do these days. For example, here's their cover of the Beatles' "Oh Darlin" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHEMQ5rFW4
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 06:09:18 AM »

Thanks to Too Jiggly for the access to this latest version of the old '68 classic.  One...Michael...Do It Again is a song TITLE...not marching orders.  So why?  And two...given the limitations...it sounds FAR better than the hogwash version he foisted on a poor unsuspecting public last time..  Remember?  Do it!!!  Do It!!!  D0 It!!!  DO IT!!!

D O N ' T  do it again.

This has to be pure unadulterated HADES for 'completists'.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »

One...Michael...Do It Again is a song TITLE...not marching orders. 

Ha!
Well, that's just it, Lee. He loves it. The Beach Boys do it again! Mike Love does it again! He thinks it's clever. Hey, lets get surfing again, like the old days. Let's record that song again, like the old days.

Maybe he should find a melodist and write song new lyrics, creating a new song? If Brian won't do it, find someone else. Maybe it will help erase the notion that he's out of ideas and earn him some respect?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »

When I see the words "Do it!", in my head that is followed by "wish I had a little pad in Hawaii".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 04:09:15 AM »

This is now available for purchase on iTunes.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2018, 05:32:18 AM »

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/track/6nThnEERrcYfiyIwUemZu2?si=mwBqNBngTu6fn9jQ7ukxtw
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 06:01:28 AM »

Good to see he still has a deal with BMG to release more music.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-mike-love-hansons-buoyant-new-rendition-of-beach-boys-its-ok-715177/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2018, 06:41:36 AM »

Honestly, this is a huge improvement over the vocal sound of Unleash The Love disc two. There is still autotune obviously, but it's more subtle, than California Girls from Unleash The Love, for example.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 07:08:50 AM »

Why on earth did Mike decide to not release the re-record of Big Sur? Of all the cruddy remakes he has released recently, that's like the only one that probably could've stood a chance at getting some real praise from people in Mike Love "Reevaluation Mode". I hope he doesn't get the bright idea to re-record All I Wanna Do with special guest Gavin Rossdale.

This not surprising at all. I do not think Mike will release a re-recording of anything that does not meet his "sun in the fun" idea of a Beach Boys song. "Do It Again" and "It's Ok" are both upbeat, catchy and easy to sing. Kind of what you want from the general public who do not have a history of the band beyond the latest greatest hits collection. That seems to be who he markets to, so it makes sense from that perspective.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »

So does anybody remember Mike's old complaint about Reprise releasing "It's OK" too late into the summer to capitalize on it's hit potential?

Well, 42 years later Mike has the chance to make "It's OK" an even bigger hit than it was (#29 in Billboard in 1976) and he ends up releasing his version on August 24th.

Classic Mike Love right there.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 10:57:05 AM »

So does anybody remember Mike's old complaint about Reprise releasing "It's OK" too late into the summer to capitalize on it's hit potential?

Well, 42 years later Mike has the chance to make "It's OK" an even bigger hit than it was (#29 in Billboard in 1976) and he ends up releasing his version on August 24th.

I don't think it makes any difference at this point, but yeah. Was thinking much the same thing.   LOL

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »

I don't think it makes any difference at this point, but yeah. Was thinking much the same thing.   LOL

Of course it makes no difference. Mike is not gonna have a solo hit single at this point in time, if he ever was in the first place.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »

Wow that was bad. Sad. So sad.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »

I noticed in this article

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmusic/article/The-Beach-Boys-Mike-Love-Releases-Its-OK-Featuring-Hanson-20180824

that the track is produced by Michael Lloyd. So I’d guess it’s an Unleash The Love outtake.

One thing about Michael - from the time he started his checkered career as the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band’s scorching lead guitarist and Kim Fowley’s musical majordomo to the present, he’s always had a surprise in his resume. I didn’t know for example that besides Mike, for the last few years he’s been producing Sylvie Vartan’s records. That’s one way to get a decent table at Maxim’s.
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2018, 01:04:25 AM »

One...Michael...Do It Again is a song TITLE...not marching orders. 

Maybe he should find a melodist and write song new lyrics, creating a new song? If Brian won't do it, find someone else.

So that's certainly an interesting idea if you reverse it - Brian could get someone with lyrical skill to write some new lyrics to some of 'fun in the sun' tracks which didn't reach their full potential, rearrange them and release them.  I particularly like the idea of different lyrics to California Girls.  I know it was a big hit as it was but I hate those atlas lyrics Mike does and it's so sexist - woman are only good for one thing right?  I know Brian will never do it but perhaps someone else could.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2018, 06:02:53 AM »

Honestly, this is a huge improvement over the vocal sound of Unleash The Love disc two. There is still autotune obviously, but it's more subtle, than California Girls from Unleash The Love, for example.

I agree.  I think this is better than all tracks on Disc 2 that have Mike's vocals.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »

I agree.  I think this is better than all tracks on Disc 2 that have Mike's vocals.

No joke, I wonder if the producer intentionally diminished the amount of Autotune on this particular song in response to the overwhelmingly huge backlash online about the extreme, ridiculous amount of Autotune heard on the remake songs on the album.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »

I still hear autotune ALL over this track on Mike. Sounds VERY similar to Unleash.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx