gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:20:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love - "Reason for the Season" Album Coming  (Read 11908 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »

Buried in a post from a week or two back on Facebook from Mike (a birthday greeting to his son), he mentioned his son did the photo for the cover art for the "Reason for the Season" album.

Mike's tour dates late this year are dubbed the "Reason for the Season" tour, and mention has already been made that he was recording in the last few months.

So I guess we can presume that in the next few months he's putting out an album of holiday songs titled "Reason for the Season."

I'll forego pitching a better album title, as that ship has presumably already sailed.

I can only hope that Michael Lloyd either isn't in the producer chair, and/or either way they lay off the autotune. Everybody will be better off for it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:10:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »

As-yet-unconfirmed song titles:

Away on a Surfboard
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Surfer
The 12 Surfer Girls of Christmas
The Little Surfer Boy
Frosty the Hodad
All I Want For Christmas is More of Brian's Songwriting Royalties
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »

As-yet-unconfirmed song titles:

Away on a Surfboard
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Surfer
The 12 Surfer Girls of Christmas
The Little Surfer Boy
Frosty the Hodad
All I Want For Christmas is More of Brian's Songwriting Royalties

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »

I wouldn't mind a new Mike Love solo album. I really hope the vocals are less processed this time around, but either way, I will give it a listen.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:03:54 AM »

Bruce referred to it as a family affair, so thinking there may be some Christian and Ambha input.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »

It looks like Mike will be bundling his holiday CD with "Beach Boys" ticket sales coming up. The blurb below has accompanied recent ticket announcements. I think this one is for a show in December:

This band has birthed a torrent of hit singles and sold albums by the tens of millions, but its greater significance lies in the fact that The Beach Boys’ songs have forever changed the musical landscape, profoundly influencing countless performing artists to follow. The Beach Boys have continued to create and perform with the same bold imagination and style that marked their explosive debut over 50 years ago. The Beach Boys found through their music the key to unfading youth— and they made copies for everyone. To these guys, the beach isn’t just a place where the surf comes to play: it’s where life is renewed and made whole again. Each ticket includes a CD copy of frontman Mike Love’s new holiday album, Reason for the Season.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »

It looks like Mike will be bundling his holiday CD with "Beach Boys" ticket sales coming up. The blurb below has accompanied recent ticket announcements. I think this one is for a show in December:

This band has birthed a torrent of hit singles and sold albums by the tens of millions, but its greater significance lies in the fact that The Beach Boys’ songs have forever changed the musical landscape, profoundly influencing countless performing artists to follow. The Beach Boys have continued to create and perform with the same bold imagination and style that marked their explosive debut over 50 years ago. The Beach Boys found through their music the key to unfading youth— and they made copies for everyone. To these guys, the beach isn’t just a place where the surf comes to play: it’s where life is renewed and made whole again. Each ticket includes a CD copy of frontman Mike Love’s new holiday album, Reason for the Season.

I have asked this before, but can Mike put a valuation on each CD (say 25bucks) and claim it as separate that value from the ticket revenue? In my thinking, if he can do this he can create revenue exempt from the licensing payments to BRI

So if it was 60 bucks a ticket, and he sells 2000 tickets, each with a CD bundled with a value of 25 dollars, he diverts 50k from ticket sales by classifying as cd sales. It would be a great scam, and also over the course of say, 30 shows claim he had sold 60,000 CDs!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »

I have asked this before, but can Mike put a valuation on each CD (say 25bucks) and claim it as separate that value from the ticket revenue? In my thinking, if he can do this he can create revenue exempt from the licensing payments to BRI

So if it was 60 bucks a ticket, and he sells 2000 tickets, each with a CD bundled with a value of 25 dollars, he diverts 50k from ticket sales by classifying as cd sales. It would be a great scam, and also over the course of say, 30 shows claim he had sold 60,000 CDs!

Highly doubt it.

On the reverse side of things, on the chart/sales side of things on the CD, when CDs are bundled with a ticket (as appears to be the case here), where the customer doesn't have a choice to buy the ticket *without* the CD (meaning being able to buy a ticket *less* a stated value of the CD), those sales *aren't* counted in chart tabulation.

Assuming the above is true, then for the purposes of selling the ticket, a value of *zero* is being placed on the CD. It's essentially being thrown in for free as an enticement to buy a ticket. Therefore, I'm guessing he wouldn't then separately be able to say to BRI that there's a value ascribed to the CD within the ticket price.

If that sort of thing was allowed, then I think artists paying for a license to tour would start churning out a cheap memorabilia item to throw in when a ticket is purchased, and they would just arbitrarily ascribe a super high value to the item.

For all we know, even if Mike started trying to *sell* CDs alongside a concert ticket, that may or may be allowed under the license terms.

There was some discussion of this sort of thing last year when "Unleash the Love" came out. Other things came up. For instance, only under pretty strict terms can sales be submitted to Neilsen/SoundScan when CDs are sold *at* shows at the merchandise stand. They can't be discounted more than a certain amount (50% of MSRP), and I believe such sales have to manually be submitted via a form.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:14:37 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:18:56 PM »

Glad Mike is finally putting out solo cd's, enjoyed Unleash the Love, but i am a bit tired of heritage or oldies acts doing Christmas cd's. I guess they're considered an easy sell, but how often do any of us play them? Yeah, once a year at Christmas - and then i'm more likely to reach for one of the classics - Spector, Elvis, Nat King Cole, or, yes, the Beach Boys.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »

So The Beach Boys are touring one of their members solo albums this Christmas and the solo BB are touring The Beach Boys Christmas album. Only in the BB world.  Undecided LOL

On the other hand,This is the first time he has done an album without working love into the title . I’m shocked
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:37:48 PM by tpesky » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »

That is actually a very funny observation. BRIAN WILSON is touring THE BEACH BOYS album and THE BEACH BOYS will be touring the MIKE LOVE album.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »

It’s a strange world Listening
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:14:36 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »

That is actually a very funny observation. BRIAN WILSON is touring THE BEACH BOYS album and THE BEACH BOYS will be touring the MIKE LOVE album.
But if BRIAN WILSON is THE BEACH BOYS, doesn't that mean that THE BEACH BOYS are touring THE BEACH BOYS CHRISTMAS ALBUM? And where does that leave MIKE LOVE?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 06:47:13 AM »

As I mentioned in another thread, Scott Totten was said to produce the sessions that took place in Traverse City, MI (via https://www.instagram.com/p/BlYwXzsHXu4/). Not sure if that means Scott is helming the entire project or not. Could very well be another Lloyd affair, especially considering Lloyd produced Mike’s new single, which apparently grew out of these Christmas sessions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:49:48 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 07:12:43 AM »

Frosty the Hodad

LOL
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 07:31:00 AM »

Glad Mike is finally putting out solo cd's, enjoyed Unleash the Love, but i am a bit tired of heritage or oldies acts doing Christmas cd's. I guess they're considered an easy sell, but how often do any of us play them? Yeah, once a year at Christmas - and then i'm more likely to reach for one of the classics - Spector, Elvis, Nat King Cole, or, yes, the Beach Boys.

The exception I would Make is Brian's Christmas album, which, I think is absolutely phenomenal! I could do without the remakes, especially "Little Saint Nick," but "The Man With All The Toys" has some nice enough additions to it.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »

As I mentioned in another thread, Scott Totten was said to produce the sessions that took place in Traverse City, MI (via https://www.instagram.com/p/BlYwXzsHXu4/). Not sure if that means Scott is helming the entire project or not. Could very well be another Lloyd affair, especially considering Lloyd produced Mike’s new single, which apparently grew out of these Christmas sessions.

Album recorded in july, out in november and scott produced five of the tracks

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »

Hey Steve, Rocker was enquiring after you. Message him and put his mind at rest (maybe you have already). Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »

Hey Steve, Rocker was enquiring after you. Message him and put his mind at rest (maybe you have already). Wink

Just saw this message  Wink
Great to see you back, Steve!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »

Hello Steve! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Carls Beard
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »

Reason For The Season https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GW1DKNP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bvfNBbGCSX4FT
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 12:45:33 AM »

Track Listings
  1. Celestial Celebration
  2. Finally It's Christmas (feat. Hanson)
  3. Little St. Nick
  4. Must Be Christmas (with Ambha Love and Christian Love)
  5. Jingle Bell Rock
  6. Alone On Christmas Day
  7. Reason For The Season
  8. Do You Hear What I Hear (with All Love)
  9. Away in a Manger (with All Love)
  10. Bring a Torch (feat. Hayleigh Love and Brian Love)
  11. O Come All Ye Faithful (with All Love)
  12. O Holy Night (feat. Ambha Love with All Love)

Growing up in my household in Southern California on the corner of Mt. Vernon & Fairway, Music was an integral part of life, But there was no other time of the year where music was more part of life than during the holidays. The grand piano, organ and harp in the living room provided the instrumental backing to all the vocals. The Holidays were a time of family get-togethers, gift giving , wonder feasts and most memorably, Christmas carols sung in harmony with one another. Songs Like “Jingle Bell Rock” and “Little St. Nick” combined with songs that remind us of the Reason for the Season; celebrating an event that took place in the little town of Bethlehem over 2000 years ago, the birth of Jesus, which for many became a birth of hope , peace, unity & love. As the words of “O Holy Night” say “His Law is love and His gospel is peace, “Jesus taught us to love one another. That message needs to be heard today more than ever before. So, as we celebrate and enjoy all the wonderful traditions of the holiday season, Lets hold in our hearts the Reason for the Season. Peace & Love Mike Love

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 02:32:40 AM »

" All Love "......is what ? The family?
MsBecca
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 08:01:30 AM »

Perhaps the Al Jardine secretly partnered up with Mike and decided to add an extra L to his name to celebrate?

Yeah it was not that funny to me either but I sincerely tried 😆
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »

“The” Al Jardine?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx