gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who’s Under Arrest?  (Read 5290 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »

Listening to Heroes and Villains yesterday - cantina version - and, although I’ve heard it a hundred times, I realized I have no clue whom the “You’re under arrest!” Refers to.  Is it Margarita, the woman dancing?  If so, why - was she doing an illegal strip tease?  Is it the first person narrator - if so, why?  Certainly not because he’s watching the dance?  Does it refer back to the verses where a woman is caught in a rain of bullets - and the narrator was the shooter?  Is the exclamation just a jarring unexpected and ultimately nonsensical interjection that Brian thought was hilarious for some reason?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »

anybody?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »

I never understood it either but for me I don’t really care so much as long as the music is good

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »

I’ll go with Margarita and the narrator.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »

Brian was pretty damn high when he was making these songs. Things might not always make sense.

Don't believe me? Check out "Brian Falls Into a Microphone."  LOL
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:23:04 PM by Sound of Free » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:49:09 AM »

It could be that "You're under arrest" comes from the sherrif of the town who just comes into the saloon and arrests the villains who are watching Marguerita.... ?

I wondered why Brian didn't have Murry yell this part. I guess that would've been fitting  Undecided

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:49:30 PM »

I like that idea - since the song is entitled Heroes and Villains, where exactly are the villains?  In the verses they are the ones firing bullets, presumably.  Then maybe those same villains are in the cantina watching Marguerita, and the sheriff comes in to arrest them.

Then who are the "heroes"?  The narrator, presumably?  Marguerita?  The sheriff?

I can see why Mike didn't understand this song.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »

Who's is the "You're under arrest" voice?

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »

Gene Gaddy, Barbara Rovell’s boyfriend (now husband) at the time.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:40 PM »

Oh thank you! Always wondered.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 11:44:24 PM »

2Willy Wilson: Here's thread you can read the info about who did voice & in which jiggy22 seemingly found the answer: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11029.0.html

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 12:47:51 AM »

2Willy Wilson: Here's thread you can read the info about who did voice & in which jiggy22 seemingly found the answer: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11029.0.html

Thank you  Smokin

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 04:45:01 AM »

Could the you're under arrest also be a nod and a wink to a drug bust?  Anachronistic, but Brian and Van Dyke in 67 were certainly indulging . . .
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 05:47:20 AM »

I like that idea - since the song is entitled Heroes and Villains, where exactly are the villains?  In the verses they are the ones firing bullets, presumably.  Then maybe those same villains are in the cantina watching Marguerita, and the sheriff comes in to arrest them.

I remember having a theory once about how the major and minor variations represented the heroes and villains themes respectively and that the key to working out the song structure somehow lay in unlocking the narrative order of the various themes. Nonsense theory, but I do still think the titular 'villains' may be represented by the ominously dark pantomime-like minor key sections.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:16:24 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 06:41:20 AM »

Could the you're under arrest also be a nod and a wink to a drug bust?  Anachronistic, but Brian and Van Dyke in 67 were certainly indulging . . .

Higher than a hawk's ass in a nosedive, as VDP succinctly put it...  Grin

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »

Oh thank you! Always wondered.

Oh really? I always thought that was Denmis!

My theory is that Margarita was Sharon Tate and the bullets were shot by the Manson family.  Kind of like the Paul death clues given before 1966.  Evil

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 07:22:25 AM »

2Magic Transistor Radio - You'd written in this thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11187.msg216082.html#msg216082

Looks like you forgot the info about Gene Gaddy.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »

Margarita wasn't even a character in the song until 2004, it was originally "margaritas", as in the drink, keeping the spirit high.

EDIT: Never mind, I must be off my rocker. Margarita the woman is in the original. "Dance, Margarita, dance...".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:55:04 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 03:07:16 AM »

EDIT: Never mind, I must be off my rocker.

Everybody is better with their Rocker  3D

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »

Rockers vs. mods!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx