gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:09:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This week in BB History Aug 14 to 25  (Read 2277 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

August 19, 1962-The BBs played the “First Annual Surfer’s Ball,” at the Hollywood Palladium with Dick Dale.  The next day they appeared at the Tustin Playhouse-with Timi Yuro and Dorsey Burnette for a daytime fashion show. They also made appearances at two KFWB Broadway Store events with Roger Christian.  They played two more such events the next day, as well as on Aug 22, 23 and 24. I assume that BBs did a few songs at each event and signed records. On August 25 they played at The Reseda Jubilee.  This was written up in the LA Times and Jan and Dean were also there. This is the earliest documented meeting of the two groups and the BBs served as the duo’s backing band.

August 1963 the BBs were in the midst of their first summer tour (hardly any of these shows were reviewed by local papers) and played the Palace Park Ballroom in Old Orchard ME on August 14, followed by shows in Brewer ME, Hill NH, Holyoke, MA and Homedale Barnesville and Transfer PA.  On August 21 they played the West View Park Danceland in Pittsburgh, a venue the Stones would play in 1964. The following night they were at the Wheeling Downs Roller Rink in West Virginia and then played Le Sourdsville Lake Amusement Park in Ohio on August 23 and the Midway Ballroom in Cedar Lake, Indiana on August 24.  The BBs were at the Melody Mill near Dubuque, IA on August 25.
In my book with Jon, we have a photo from backstage on the latter day-with Al clearly filling in for Brian, who was back in LA by this time. Indeed, on August 27 Brian was at Goldstar to work on Pamela Jean and After the Game.

Aug 17 1964-Brian was at Western Recorders to record the Jimmy Reed blues song “Baby What Do You Want Me to Do”, listed as “Peep and Hide” for a Bob Norberg single.  He flew to Cleveland with the other BBs to appear at Euclid Beach Amusement Park on August 21.  The next day they played the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh and then performed for the first time in Evansville, IN on August 23 and in Allentown, PA on August 24. They returned to the Lakewood Ballroom in Barnesville, PA for the second and last time the next night.

Aug 20-21 1965-The BBs played two nights at the Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA with Bruce now permanently in place of Brian. Hitliner Magazine called it the “Greatest Ever Held.” Two days later they were at Western to work on the Party album, including the songs Should Have Known Better, Ruby Baby, Satisfaction, Hully Gully and Blowing In the Wind. The BBs were at the Arena in Sioux Falls, on August 24 (The sarcastic reviewer noted “they sang such all-time American greats as ‘Fun, Fun, Fun’, ‘Little Deuce Coupe’ and ‘She’s real fine, My 409’ and ‘there was unadulterated ecstasy over a song titled ‘Little Old Lady From Pasadena.’) Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha on August 25.

Aug 14 1966-The BBs played the Fort William Gardens in Ontario, a show fondly recalled by Paul Shaffer of future Letterman fame.  A reviewer noted that ‘When ‘Help Me Rhonda’ was played, nobody would stay still. The young audience were stomping their feet and hands to the rhythm of the music. They looked spaced out.  The Beach Boys were gleaming and they enjoyed performing their songs.  They were able to create such ecstasy.” The BBs then performed in Minot, ND, Calgary, Victoria and Vancouver.  In Victoria and Vancouver they were joined by Chad and Jeremy and Murry’s group The Sunrays. This lineup also appeared with the BBs in Spokane on August 19.  The tour ended in Portland, OR on August 20 1966. On Aug 24 1966 the BBs (or at least Brian) was at Sunset Sound to make the track edit of Good Vibrations.  The next day the first session for Wonderful took place.

August 1967-Bruce, who’d hardly participated in the recent Smiley Smile sessions, was in England to do Promotion on radio and TV for the BBs.  Asked about rumors that he was unhappy and eager to leave the group, Bruce sarcastically commented, “Sure…That’s why I’m sitting here spending all this time telling you about the Beach Boys and all the work they’re doing!” Meanwhile between Aug 10-17 Al served as an emcee at the preliminaries of the “rock music championship” at the Hullaballoo Nightclub-with John Beck of the Leaves and Sky Saxon of The Seeds.  On August 25 and 26 1967 the BBs played in Honolulu with Brian. Obviously the shows were recorded as Lei’d in Hawaii.  Some time during this period Mike produced a single for the comedy group the Pickle Brothers (who appeared with them at one of the two Hawaii Shows). The track is on a Sea of Tunes boot.

August 1968 the BBs toured with the Box Tops and Pickle Brothers. They were at the Bay Theater in Green Bay, WI on August 15. The reviewer noted, “The rock quintet’s hallmark is smooth, soft voice tunes. Unfortunately, their background band crucified their appealing sound much of the time…But all wasn’t lost. Whenever the band shut up, the Boys came out at their best. That was the case when Carl Wilson sang ‘Surfer Girl’ and when the whole bunch sang ‘Barbara Ann.’ They played at Butler University in Indianapolis the following day, but complained that they were not allowed to use Desper’s sound system because of some union rules that required them to use the lousy house speakers. 

They played in Asbury Park, NJ on August 17 with Brooklyn Bridge as an extra support act and then performed in Madison, before heading to Canada to perform in Winnipeg on August 19, Regina on August 20 and the Edmonton Gardens on August 21, 1968.  Backstage Mike was asked about drugs and replied “I’m already crazy-what would I want to do that for?” Asked about the draft he commented, “I shut the windows and close the doors and don’t forget the weather stripping.” Stampede Corral in Calgary on August 22, Spokane Coliseum on the 23 and the HS Auditorium in Boise, Idaho on August 24.

Aug 15 1969-The BBs were at Sunset Sound without Brian to work on the Al produced single version of Cotton Fields. On Aug 19 they appeared on the Happening TV Show (hosted by Paul Revere and the Raiders), performing live versions of “Cotton Fields” (album version) and “Breakaway”, plus “Johnny B. Goode” with Paul Revere.  They also showed film from their European Tour with silly narration by Mike. An audiotape of this exists and the performance footage may survive but is not available anywhere that I know of.  Aug 22 1969-Brian was at Wally Heider’s Studio on this day to work on America, I Know You with Steve Kalinich.  Other sessions may have taken place at this time for this project, but dates aren’t known.

August 1970 Dennis set off to film Two Lane Blacktop for Monte Hellman. Meanwhile on Aug 14 1970 the other BBs worked on Looking At Tomorrow.  The next day a session was held for Brian’s classic Till I Die and the first (and superior in my opinion) version of Big Sur.  On Aug 17 1970 work was done on HELP is On the Way.

Aug 14-15 1972-An AFM for California Saga- Beaks of Eagles and California exists, which lists them as recorded in Holland.  Apparently, the group did indeed work on this on Aug 14-15. Brian came to the studio to add a vocal. They then left Europe for Chicago on August 15. The Holland sojourn was over. The BBs headed to the Mississippi River Festival in Edwardsville, IL on August 16.  The St Louis Post noted that the oldies got a great reception but “quiet songs like Wonderful and Caroline No were given only polite applause.” They then played in Chicago (17), Hartford, CT (18-with The Kinks, The Doors and Flo and Eddie), and Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City (19-with the Kinks).  The reviewer commented, “The magic was still there for Good Vibrations, Wouldn’t It Be Nice and other classics but when Chaplin sang lead on ‘Wild Honey’, the differences between the new and old sounds were evident and even the ‘old’ voices couldn’t save ‘There’s a Riot Going On’ a schlock rewrite of an old song, Riot in Cellblock 9.’ But the crowd loved it all the same.’”

They then played Allentown, PA (20-with the Kinks and the Orleans) and the Nassau Coliseum, (21-with the Kinks).  Cashbox commented, “Oldies included Wouldn’t It Be Nice, Surfin USA, Heroes and Villains and Blondie Chaplin singing lead on ‘Wild Honey.’ Ricky Fataar handled the vocals on ‘Here She Comes’ and the only non-Beach Boys song ‘Jumping Jack Flash’ closed the show.” The BBs then played the Boston Common (23, 24) and the Hampton Rhodes Coliseum in Virginia (25-with Brownsville Station).  While the BBs were in Boston on August 23 and 24 Mike, Carl, Al and Billy H went to Inter Media Sound Studio to contribute to TM Song for Charles Lloyd’s album.

August 1973 the BBs were on tour and recorded most shows for their Concert album. They played Chicago (14-16), Richmond, VA (18-with Jonathan Edwards-Caroline No and Heroes and Villains used on the LP was taped this night) Nassau Coliseum (19-with Jonathan Edwards-the version of Sloop John B, We Got Love, Help Me Rhonda, Leaving This Town and California Girls used on the LP was taped this night) Schaeffer Center, Foxboro, MA-with Loggins and Messina and Jonathan Edwards (20), Danbury Prison, Danbury, CT (23), Hartford, CT (24-with Jonathan Edwards and Poco) and Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City (25-with Poco and Stanky Brown).  Same old story-the reviewer commented, “The audience was ready for old songs but the Beach Boys consistently played brand new music that began to put the audience to sleep.”

Aug 20 1974-Dennis held a session for My Love Lives On. Two days later the BBs flew to Newark, NJ and performed at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City on August 23-with The Eagles. They played the Capitol Center on August 24 and in Norfolk, VA on August 25-with The Marshall Tucker Band. There was some controversy between the two bands.  The Bbs were touring with a large carpet and Marshal Tucker protested.  The BBs threatened not to play without it and Tucker threatened not to go on with it there.  They compromised and it was there in DC but absent in Norfolk.

Aug 1975 the BBs were on tour and played the Iowa State Fair with Ambrosia on August 18, Pine Knob (19, 20-with Ambrosia), and Dayton Hara Arena, (21-with Ambrosia).  By this time a lot of the new songs had been excised. The reviewer noted, “Their show started with Sloop John B and the mob went wild. What followed was an evening that could have been called the Beach Boys greatest hits. Each tune was greeted with thunderous applause and yelling.” They then played Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI (22-with Ambrosia), Pittsburgh, PA (23-with Ambrosia) and Allentown PA (24) and New Haven, CT (25) with The Captain and Tennille.

August 14 1976-The BBs played Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh with Peter Frampton and Gary Wright) and the next day at Ohio State University in Columbus, OH.  The reviewer noted, “The song’s seemed like the group’s top 25 greatest hits: Little Deuce Coupe, I Get Around and Sloop John B were just a few of the oldies but goodies the group pulled out of their hat.  Intermixed with the oldies were cuts from their new album 15 Big Ones.  One of the songs ‘Blueberry Hill’ was dedicated to all the senior citizens in the audience ‘the people over 25.’ Around this time Brian taped a long TV interview for Old Grey Whistle Test (Brian mentions he’d be playing the upcoming shows in DC on Aug 30, 31-narrowing the date). Large chunks of this interview were used in the American Band documentary.  Work was still ongoing in the studio. On Aug 18 1976-the BBs worked on a cover of Ruby Baby
And the next day Dennis held a session for “You and I”, followed by a session on Aug 20 for Schoolgirl.   

On Aug 21 1976-Brian worked on a demo of “Marilyn Rovell” and recorded his vocal for the 1965 track of “Sherry She Needs Me”.  While the BBs were on a break from touring, Mike headed to London. He was at the Carlton Tower Hotel in London on August 25 to meet the press and show film of the July 3 Anaheim show.  He was trying to get the TV special shown in England.

August 1977 the BBs, in a very tense and argumentative state, performed with Brian. Ricci Martin opened these shows. They were in Indianapolis (19) Louisville, KY (20) Mississippi River Festival, Edwardsville, IL (21) Des Moines, IA (22) and Pine Knob, MI from August 24-26, 1977. Dennis opened the latter shows-after Ricci Martin’s sets-the only solo dates he did for his album. The reviewer noted that the BBs “were in perfect form, except for one horrendous solo by Carl Wilson (I think he meant Brian) on ‘Love Is a Woman” but it was a Beach Boys crowd and no one seemed to mind…”

August 14 1978 the BBs played the Illinois State Fair in Springfield.  Eleven days later they opened a short tour with Jan and Dean at Buccaneer Stadium in Grand Haven, MI (McGuinn, Clark and Hillman were also on the bill) and the Alpine Valley Music Theater in Troy, WI. The reviewer of the Grand Haven show noted, “Grand Haven worked in harmony but the Beach Boys did not. It was a melancholy sight to witness Brian Wilson, the musical genius and backbone of the Boys for so long, struggle through a lead vocal or turn away from the microphone in disgust, frustrated over his seeming inability to contribute fully.”

Aug 18, 1979-The BBs played at Comiskey Park in Chicago with Blondie and Sha Na Na, the next day they returned to the Mississippi River Festival in Edwardsville.  The reviewer noted, “Perhaps the finest new piece they played was ‘Good Timin’. The harmonies were impeccable and the beat slow enough to savor all the complexities.” They then played the Iowa State Fair on Aug 20 and the Scope in Norfolk, VA on Aug 21. Brian was on this tour but Dennis was out of the band to get straight.  The day after the tour ended, Brian recorded his demo of Night Blooming Jasmine (heard as a bonus on his 88 album reissue).

August 1981-a confusing period with Carl absent and the BBs, at their most dysfunctional with Brian at most gigs and Dennis at some, touring nonstop.  The BBs were in Omaha on Aug 14, the Illinois State Fair (15) Wisconsin State Fair (16) and the Holiday Star Theater, Merrivile, Indiana (17). The reviewer noted, “a malaise prevailed. Mike Love…seemed like a man who would rather be somewhere else…Brian Wilson, drinking and smoking cigarettes constantly during the show, is now a shadow of the man John Lennon and Paul McCartney once called ‘a big influence’ in the musical direction of the Beatles. His voice, once vibrant and wide ranging, now falters. He delivered well on ‘God Only Knows’ but it was a flash performance and for most of the show Brian Wilson’s real greatness as a performer never surfaced.”

The tour continued at Six Flags in MO (18), Red Rocks (19, 20-with Jim Photoglo) Colorado State Fair, (21) Oklahoma City, OK (22-with a very rude crowd- someone threw a jug of beer that hit Brian’s piano and spilled it all over him and someone else hit Al with a soda bottle), Freedom Hall Civic Center, Johnson City, TN (24-with Jim Photoglo) and the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD (25). That same day Carl began a second leg opening for the Doobie Brothers in Bismarck.

August 1982-Carl was back touring with the BBs-some shows featured all three Wilsons, though two were in poor shape. They played the various state fairs and did two nights in San Destin Resort in Florida on August 21-22. The show on August 21 was filmed by the Today Show NBC TV and aired 23rd). They also had begun playing after baseball games such as the August 24, 1982 app at the Astrodome, Houston.

August 1983-the BBs toured post Jim Watt controversy.  I don’t think Brian or Dennis were at any of these shows. They played in Nashville (14) Giants Stadium (14) and the Ohio State Fair (15, 16). A reviewer noted, “The group didn’t really have to work too hard. They basked in the warmth of their fans, casually pumping out the good old days. They played nonstop groups of six tunes or so-a string of car songs or surfing songs or just miscellaneous hits like California Girls, I Can Hear Music and Sloop John B…Midway through the show, the band briefly strayed from the already accepted course.  Love sang, or plodded through, a very deliberate, stilted version of John Lennon’s Imagine-or as Love would say it ‘E-maah-gen.” Then they played the Indiana State Fair (17).  The reviewer noted that “two of the biggest surprises of the night were Jardine’s version of the Del Shannon hit ‘Runaway’ and his lead vocals on a cover of the Del Vikings Top 10 hit from 1957, ‘Come Go With Me.’” They then played Sioux City, IA (18-With Bittersweet) Davenport, IA (19) Illinois State Fair (20) CNE Grandstand, Toronto (21) Ottawa, Canada (23) and Windsor Stadium in Ontario (25).

Aug 18 1984-The BBs played a private party at the Republican Convention at the Apparel Mart in Dallas with Brian. Brian was arrested post gig for walking around with improper credentials and kept in jail for over three hours. The next day the band played in Cincinnati without him. They also played Toronto, (20-with Poco), Sherkston Beach, Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada (21-with Poco), Erie Civic Center, Erie, PA (22) and Jones Beach, NY (24, 25- with Poco).  The reviewer noted, “Some of the famous Beach Boys harmonies were rather gritty early on; they sounded like a 33 rpm record playing at 30 rpm. But Wilson, Jardine and Love were terrific together on ‘Wendy’-Love especially-and Wilson’s guitar bridge on ‘I Get Around’ was-like most of his practiced work-strong and consistent.”

Aug 1985-The BBs played the Illinois State Fair, (14) and Iowa State Fair (15). The reviewer commented that, “the newer songs were the only weak spot in the show. There were four of them, all well performed and easily forgotten.  The loudspeaker system too was not crisp enough for a band that specializes in harmonies that interweave like threads in a beach towel.” They then played the State Park Speedway, Rib Mountain, WI (16) Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV (18), MGM Grand (19-private party for Jeep) Vancouver (21) Portland, OR (22-after game), Red Rocks (23-with Diane Brown) and Wichita, KS (25-with John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band)

August 1986 was more of the same-this time with Roger McGuinn opening some and Katrina and the Waves or the Beaver Brown Band opening others. Meanwhile Brian was working with Gary Usher. On Aug 19 1986-Brian and Gary held a session for “Spirit of Rock and Roll”. I could go on but I think this is enough.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »

Aug 17 1964-Brian was at Western Recorders to record the Jimmy Reed blues song “Baby What Do You Want Me to Do”, listed as “Peep and Hide” for a Bob Norberg single. 

IMO this is such an overlooked recording. I think it was co-produced with Bob, wasn't it? I remember reading that somewhere:

Bob & Bobby - "Baby, what you want me to do"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgC1ACfhrn4

The original by Jimmy Reed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JveYg57Brxc

It became quite famous when Elvis played it during his '68 comeback special (which will be shown in some cinemas later this week):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19opj_kGJF8

Thanks once more for your work, Ian! Hadn't listened to the Bob & Bobby recording in years.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »

I think you are right.  Yeah-it's unusual too-in that Brian rarely recorded a straight blues song
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »

I enjoyed reading this; I attended at least five of these shows between 1977 and 1985... some very, very good (Edwardsville, IL, 8/21/77) and some very, very bad (Merriville, IN 8/17/81)
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »

Aug 18 1984-The BBs played a private party at the Republican Convention at the Apparel Mart in Dallas with Brian. Brian was arrested post gig for walking around with improper credentials and kept in jail for over three hours. The next day the band played in Cincinnati without him.

I wonder how that all went down... Guess I'll never know...
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 05:37:40 AM »

Basically some with credentials escorted Brian and his "minders" in to the convention but neglected to escort them out and they were arrested for "trespassing".  It turned out the minders had a pocketful of pills and they were charged with misdemeanor drug possession but Brian was not charged with anything and was only held three hours.  Pretty silly really-but it made all the newspapers
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »

Steve I am envious of you seeing the BBs in their prime-with Dennis.  I never saw them in his lifetime.  Indeed my first show was not until 1988 and it was a fairly forgettable postgame concert with poor sound in 1988. At least I saw Carl (Brian of course was not there that night).
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 04:31:12 AM »

However my dad saw them at Carnegie Hall in November 1972 and someone I know saw them at West orange New Jersey in September 1964
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 04:48:22 AM »

I grew up in West Orange, wonder where they played there in 64? Would have loved to have seen the Carnegie Hall shows live.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »

National guard armory September 26 1964
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »

Keep up the great work, Ian.  These "week in BB History" always evoke such great memories for me!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 04:22:53 PM »

Thanks Ed-just a question of time
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx