gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:59:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Slide  (Read 2144 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »

I had heard this song many times. But usually considered it an average rock song. I guess I hadn't listened all the way through! It has an amazing guitar lick on the 2nd half of the track. I have been really into it lately. Anyway, I included it on my California Feelin album.

https://youtu.be/dNmx3TaHfCY
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:05:44 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »

I always loved that song. My favorite part is in the middle when it goes into that softer country feel, "Ooooh... I will (?) tell you". All in all, one of my favorite Dennis songs.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »

I always loved that song. My favorite part is in the middle when it goes into that softer country feel, "Ooooh... I will (?) tell you". All in all, one of my favorite Dennis songs.

Yes! That is cool too! I think it could have been a single.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »

I feel like this song has a rocky feel to it. I could see it on 20/20 or maybe Carl/Passions or Holland.

But All My Love and I’ve Got A Friend... Wow.

Denny’s family, Guercio, Jakobson need to release stuff
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »

I see it as being used in a soundtrack to a roadmovie like "Easy rider" or something like that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »

I see it as being used in a soundtrack to a roadmovie like "Easy rider" or something like that.

Or Two Lane Blacktop.   Cool Guy

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 02:01:14 AM »

Or Two Lane Blacktop.   Cool Guy

TLB has some great music. Unfortunately there never was a soundtrack released with it. I always thought it would be a cool idea to compile one of your own. And since it's just a couple of songs that are used in the movie and both Dennis and James Taylor were actual musicians, I thought to fill it up with some of their stuff, including "California slide".  Cool Maybe someday we should start a thread on this board to get ideas what to use besides the songs in the movie.
To be honest though, I think "California slide" would fit better in something like "Easy rider" with it's wild and freewheeling feel. You could just exchance "Born to be wild" with "California slide" in "Easy rider" and it would fit very nicely. Those kind of scenes are not in TLB, which is not a very action-laden movie. My favorite scene in TLB is when they are at the gaststation and Kris Kristofferson's "Me & Bobby McGhee" starts playing.

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »

"Easy Rider" is overrated. Not Dennis Hopper fan AT ALL. & Jack Nicholson's role is nothing special. Strangely people elsewhere praise his acting there. He'll do much better with time. As to songs, favorite in film is Byrds song "Wasn't Born To Follow", otherwise not Byrds fan either. TLB is boring, good point about Dennis & Taylor songs not being utilized in the film despite them being actual singer-songwriters & musicians. Agree it's bizarre.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 03:27:09 AM »

I am not as familiar with James Taylor songs, but some other Dennis Wilson songs that could have been used.
Sound of Free, Mona Kana, Celebrate the News, Lady (perhaps in the scene where he has sex with Laurie Bird). In terms of being boring perhaps music would have helped.  When George Lucas watched the premiere of Star Wars, I believe there was no sound track yet. He said it looked awful! But the sound track really put it over.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx