gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:54:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys as game show celebrity panelists  (Read 4135 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »

Kind of surprised that nobody in this band (unless I'm mistaken?) ever appeared as a celebrity guest/panelist on a TV game show.

Some BBs-related folk, like Little Richard, appeared on game shows such as Family Feud (Grammy All-Stars edition):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPJxezA1gHw

This got me thinking about which BBs member(s) would do well as a game show panelist, and on what show(s)?

I really, realllly wish The Boys had appeared on Family Feud. A Wilsons vs. Loves edition.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:51:32 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »

Bruce was on The Dating Game in the late '60s.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:50:26 AM »

Bruce was on The Dating Game in the late '60s.

Really?!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »

In the early 80s, probably circa 1981 or 82 (possibly during Carl's absence), Mike, Bruce, and Al were all in one square on "Hollywood Squares." There used to be a clip on YouTube I think, but I can't find any video or pics online at the moment. I recall it being awkward having all three of them crammed into one square (to say nothing of how *awful* that show always was).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:54:25 AM »

In the early 80s, probably circa 1981 or 82 (possibly during Carl's absence), Mike, Bruce, and Al were all in one square on "Hollywood Squares." There used to be a clip on YouTube I think, but I can't find any video or pics online at the moment. I recall it being awkward having all three of them crammed into one square (to say nothing of how *awful* that show always was).

I had absolutely no idea. Wow.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »

Still can't find any pics or video, but it would appear the sort-of "original" version of the show ran from 1966 to 1981, so I'd guess either 1980 or 1981 for the "Beach Boys" appearance on "Hollywood Squares."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »

Really like Family Feud! Big fan of survey-type questions. Here they copied the game but gave different name - "100 to 1". Seen it since 8! Esp. entertaining when the winning team's 2 people answer questions within 20 seconds. Such fun!
Would be cool to see BBs play in it against, say, "Full House" cast.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »

Family Feud. Bw touring band vs M&B touring band.

Make it happen!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »

Make it happen!

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »

Make it happen!

YES! 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 04:44:41 PM »

It was '79.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »

It was '79.

Ah, makes sense. I figured it had to be late '78 at the earliest given that Bruce was there. And again, as I mentioned in a subsequent post, the show ended in 1981 (for that particular run), so there was a pretty narrow window for when it could have occurred given their look (Mike and Al bearded, etc.).

Now I'm trying to remember whether this was ever up on YouTube, or if I'm just remembering having this buried away somewhere on a VHS. My recollection is that whatever I've seen, it was just one or a few BB segments and not even the entire episode.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 11:05:53 AM »

I try to imagine them on Wheel of Fortune. The hosts probably would go crazy. Mike instead of answering would constantly be explaining how he came up with certain words with Bruce applauding wildly, Brian would always yell answers during someone else's term,  Dennis would hit on the girl that turns the letters around and Al would just be waiting on a bu.... I mean waiting 'til he is allowed to turn the wheel, while Carl would stand besides just rolling his eyes. Complete chaos. Special appearance by Murry running around the audience showing each member his glass eye.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:10:05 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 02:45:11 PM »

I try to imagine them on Wheel of Fortune. The hosts probably would go crazy. Mike instead of answering would constantly explaining how he came up with certain words with Bruce applauding wildly, Brian would always yell answers during someone else's term,  Dennis would hit on the girl that turns the letters around and Al would just be waiting on a bu.... I mean waiting 'til he is allowed to turn the wheel, while Carl would stand besides just rolling his eyes. Complete chaos. Special appearance by Murry running around the audience showing each member his glass eye.

LOL
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »

It was '79.

Ah, makes sense. I figured it had to be late '78 at the earliest given that Bruce was there. And again, as I mentioned in a subsequent post, the show ended in 1981 (for that particular run), so there was a pretty narrow window for when it could have occurred given their look (Mike and Al bearded, etc.).

Now I'm trying to remember whether this was ever up on YouTube, or if I'm just remembering having this buried away somewhere on a VHS. My recollection is that whatever I've seen, it was just one or a few BB segments and not even the entire episode.

I have it on VHS somewhere. I got it as part of a collection of miscellaneous BBs videos in the early '80s, but I'd known about it since shortly after it aired, thanks to the ASM fanzine. They answered two questions...incorrectly, IIRC. I know one of them was age-related (something like "If a person is considered 'old' at 65, at what point are they considered 'really old', to which Mike replied "'72?'"...it wasn't exactly that, but close).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »

It was '79.

I have it on VHS somewhere. I got it as part of a collection of miscellaneous BBs videos in the early '80s, but I'd known about it since shortly after it aired, thanks to the ASM fanzine. They answered two questions...incorrectly, IIRC. I know one of them was age-related (something like "If a person is considered 'old' at 65, at what point are they considered 'really old', to which Mike replied "'72?'"...it wasn't exactly that, but close).

So cool. Hope it can be transferred sometime!

I wonder if the Bruce Johnston Dating Game clip still exists anywhere. I know game shows were routinely taped over back then by the networks to save tape costs.  But sometimes stuff like that turns up at The Museum of TV & Radio (a.k.a. Paley Center for Media), so who knows...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:39:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 08:08:55 AM »

It was '79.

This clip perfectly illustrates why the show was so dumb, the premise dumb, and why the show's format was extra non-conducive to having people on who weren't used to doing comedy bits and/or gameshow bits and thinking on their feet:

https://youtu.be/u4VFmAiEokQ?t=28s

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »

It was '79.

This clip perfectly illustrates why the show was so dumb, the premise dumb, and why the show's format was extra non-conducive to having people on who weren't used to doing comedy bits and/or gameshow bits and thinking on their feet:

https://youtu.be/u4VFmAiEokQ?t=28s

I wonder if any of the Boys would've done well in a time-pressured type of clock countdown environment, like say as a celeb guest on the $25,000 Pyramid. They should've done that show, especially seeing as they namechecked Dick Clark in a song lyric. Mike was the self-professed "wordsmith", would this skillset have aided him on any game show?
stillwell
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 09:12:34 PM »

Bruce was on The Weakest Link 2000-ish.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »

They should actually be on SNL celeb jeopardy...

Alex: "For 100, what year was california founded?"

Mike: "well, the music was so far-out that i made sure the lyrics had the boy-girl connection..."

Alex: "Incorrect...Bruce?"

Bruce: "We did 170 shows last year and we're just having so much fun bringing sand and surf to towns across america...TRUMP 2020!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 10:36:38 PM »

We got "Weakest Link" as well. Cool game.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 03:57:16 AM »

They should actually be on SNL celeb jeopardy...

Alex: "For 100, what year was california founded?"

Mike: "well, the music was so far-out that i made sure the lyrics had the boy-girl connection..."

Alex: "Incorrect...Bruce?"

Bruce: "We did 170 shows last year and we're just having so much fun bringing sand and surf to towns across america...TRUMP 2020!"

Connery: "Same year I founded your mother, Trebeck!"  LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx