gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:30:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard Hot 100 Turns 60  (Read 2488 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »

Here are the top 20 tunes on Billboard‘s “All-Time Top 600 Hits” list:

1. “The Twist” — Chubby Checker
2. “Smooth” — Santana featuring Rob Thomas
3. “Mack the Knife” — Bobby Darin
4. “Uptown Funk!” — Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
5. “How Do I Live” — LeAnn Rimes
6. “Party Rock Anthem” — LMFAO featuring Lauren Bennett & GoonRock
7. “I Gotta Feeling” — The Black Eyed Peas
8. “Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)” — Los Del Rio
9. “Shape of You” — Ed Sheeran
10. “Physical” — Olivia Newton-John
11. “You Light Up My Life” — Debby Boone
12. “Hey Jude” — The Beatles
13. “Closer” — The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey
14. “We Belong Together” — Mariah Carey
15. “Un-Break My Heart” — Toni Braxton
16. “Yeah!” — Usher featuring Lil Jon & Ludacris
17. “Bette Davis Eyes” — Kim Carnes
18. “Endless Love” — Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
19. “Tonight’s the Night (Gonna Be Alright)” — Rod Stewart
20. “You Were Meant for Me”/”Foolish Games” — Jewel

And here’s the top 20 of the magazine’s “Top Artists of All Time” tally:

1. The Beatles
2. Madonna
3. Elton John
4. Elvis Presley
5. Mariah Carey
6. Stevie Wonder
7. Janet Jackson
8. Michael Jackson
9. Whitney Houston
10. Rihanna
11. The Rolling Stones
12. Paul McCartney
13. Bee Gees
14. Usher
15. Chicago
16. The Supremes
17. Prince
18. Daryl Hall & John Oates
19. Rod Stewart
20. Olivia Newton-John
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:53:19 AM by feelintheflows » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:43:06 PM »

Artists nos. 30-39:

30. The Temptations
31. Donna Summer
32. The Beach Boys
33. Lionel Richie
34. Bruno Mars
35. Neil Diamond
36. Carpenters
37. Maroon 5
38. Boyz II Men
39. The Jacksons
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 04:08:46 AM »

Hilarious list - Janet "nothing special" Jackson ranked higher than Michael Jackson, Madonna "whiny voice" ahead of super-cool Elton John. Cheesy Did clowns make that list? Ha. I'd like to sit down & listen to each Top 20 song to see if they're *really* cat's meow to get there.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »

I'm assuming this list is how many records, tapes, cds etc the artists sold, not the quality of the product.

I confess to not even knowing some of the songs on the Top 20 list.
If those I know, can't believe that "Betty Davis Eyes" is on it. I heard it a fair amount of times when it was out but not that much. I heard "Endless Love" a lot more times.
Elvis' "Don't Be Cruel" should be in the top 5. It was a huge seller. But it came out before Billboard started compiling its top 100 and top 40 lists.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »

Replace Usher with the BBs and all will be right in the universe. I'm surprised Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, The Who, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, or The Temptations aren't in the top 20.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 10:37:58 AM »

I'm assuming this list is how many records, tapes, cds etc the artists sold, not the quality of the product.

I confess to not even knowing some of the songs on the Top 20 list.
If those I know, can't believe that "Betty Davis Eyes" is on it. I heard it a fair amount of times when it was out but not that much. I heard "Endless Love" a lot more times.
Elvis' "Don't Be Cruel" should be in the top 5. It was a huge seller. But it came out before Billboard started compiling its top 100 and top 40 lists.
Yes, it is pre Hot 100.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »

A more favorable list for the BBs (oddly in reverse order):

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/hot-100-turns-60/8468129/hot-100-turns-60-the-top-duos-groups-of-all-time

HOT 100 TURNS 60! THE TOP 60 DUOS/GROUPS OF ALL TIME, FROM THE BEATLES TO MAROON 5 & MORE
by Xander Zellner
August 2, 2018
The Fab Four, The Rolling Stones & Bee Gees rank at Nos. 1, 2 & 3, respectively.

As we celebrate the Billboard Hot 100's 60th anniversary, Billboard looks at the top-performing duos and groups in the chart's history, dating to its Aug. 4, 1958, inception.   

With a record 20 Hot 100 No. 1s, logged between 1964 and 1970, it should come as no surprise that The Beatles are the No. 1 duo or group, as well as the top act overall. 

The quartet's biggest Hot 100 hit, "Hey Jude," spent nine weeks at No. 1 beginning on Sept. 28, 1968, and ranks at No. 12 on the recap of the chart's all-time top 600 songs. The group is the only act to ever occupy the entire top five of the Hot 100 in a week, having achieved the feat on April 4, 1964, with, in order from Nos. 1 to 5, "Can't Buy Me Love," "Twist and Shout," "She Loves You," "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Please Please Me."     

Rounding out the top five duos/groups ranking from Nos. 2 through 5, respectively, are The Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, Chicago and The Supremes. At No. 6 is the top-performing duo, Daryl Hall and John Oates. 

Just outside the top 10 is the highest-ranking act whose chart career began in the 2000s: Maroon 5, at No. 11. The Adam Levine-led group's latest hit, "Girls Like You," featuring Cardi B, currently stands at its No. 3 high on the Hot 100. The band has tallied 14 top 10s, including three No. 1s.   

Here's a look at the top-performing duos and groups over the Hot 100's first 60 years.

[...]

10. Carpenters
9. The Beach Boys
8. The Temptations
7. The Four Seasons
6. Hall & Oates
5. The Supremes
4. Chicago
3. Bee Gees
2. The Rolling Stones
1. The Beatles

The Top 60 Duos/Groups of All-Time on the Billboard Hot 100 ranking is based on weekly performance on the Hot 100 from its Aug. 4, 1958, inception through July 21, 2018. All songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with cumulative weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower spots earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are then ranked based on a formula blending performance, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 chart entries.

feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 04:51:18 PM »

According to Billboard chart statistics, Chicago is second only to the Beach Boys as the most successful American rock band of all time, in terms of both albums and singles. Judged by album sales alone, as certified by the R.I.A.A., the band does not rank quite so high, but it is still among the Top Ten best-selling U.S. groups ever.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »

According to Billboard chart statistics, Chicago is second only to the Beach Boys as the most successful American rock band of all time, in terms of both albums and singles. Judged by album sales alone, as certified by the R.I.A.A., the band does not rank quite so high, but it is still among the Top Ten best-selling U.S. groups ever.

So did Chicago finally overtake the Beach Boys?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »

So did Chicago finally overtake the Beach Boys?

Appears so. I would love to know how that is calculated.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx