gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:00:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denny's drum arranging style vs. Brian's  (Read 2613 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »

In listening to the BBs Sirius station, I was reminded of Denny's interesting and distinctive drum arrangements on songs like "Common", where he'd have these pulsing and rocking tom fills toward the end of the song, which sound quite unlike most anything you'd hear on a Brian-arranged song.

Some other examples of that type of drum sound on Denny's songs can be found on the long outro of "Celebrate the News", and also the Denny-produced (isn't that correct?) "Stevie", which has those unique, distinctive fills heard right before the pre-choruses.

Curious to know how much Denny might have had a hand in arranging those parts, or if those might have been something where the studio drummer(s) on those songs just added their own stylings? I'm guessing that was a Denny-dictated sound since it recurs on a number of his songs. (Who plays drums on those 3 songs, by the way?)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:25:54 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »

(Who plays drums on those 3 songs, by the way?)

"Common" - Tommy Smith (brother of keyboardist Sterling Smith) - read more about that session here:  http://beachboysarchives.com/page12
"Celebrate The News" - John Guerin and Donald "Richie" Frost (yes - TWO drummers - plus percussionist Frank Capp on tympani)...Frost was also the drummer on "Pet Sounds" (the song)
"Stevie" - Denny all the way

Interestingly, on Sirius Ch. 4 early this afternoon, they played a clip of Denny's son Carl B. Wilson describing how much his dad loved pleasing people through his music, and how grateful he and the rest of the family are for the Sirius guys playing his music - followed by "Got To Know The Woman", followed by "Pacific Ocean Blues". Later this afternoon, they played a clip of Mike Love describing his relationship with Denny, how they competed in the early days for the adulation of women, how he later unfortunately got heavily into drinking and drugsl, but how the two of them always tried their hardest to put on a good show - followed by the "acoustical" live version of "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", followed by "River Song". Two great blocks of interview clips and songs showcasing Dennis!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:00:15 PM »

"Common" - Tommy Smith (brother of keyboardist Sterling Smith) - read more about that session here:  http://beachboysarchives.com/page12
"Celebrate The News" - John Guerin and Donald "Richie" Frost (yes - TWO drummers - plus percussionist Frank Capp on tympani)...Frost was also the drummer on "Pet Sounds" (the song)

Interestingly, on Sirius Ch. 4 early this afternoon, they played a clip of Denny's son Carl B. Wilson describing how much his dad loved pleasing people through his music, and how grateful he and the rest of the family are for the Sirius guys playing his music - followed by "Got To Know The Woman", followed by "Pacific Ocean Blues". Later this afternoon, they played a clip of Mike Love describing his relationship with Denny, how they competed in the early days for the adulation of women, how he later unfortunately got heavily into drinking and drugsl, but how the two of them always tried their hardest to put on a good show - followed by the "acoustical" live version of "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", followed by "River Song". Two great blocks of interview clips and songs showcasing Dennis!

Super cool info, and that's touching to hear what Carl B. said. Thanks for sharing that, c-man!

I happened to meet Sterling Smith not too very long ago when he happened to be playing a band performing at a private party for a family friend. I had no idea the BBs connection continued into Sterlilng's own family too. Other than the Smiths, Wilsons, Loves, and Rovells, I wonder how many other people can say that multiple family members played on BB songs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:26:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »

"Common" - Tommy Smith (brother of keyboardist Sterling Smith) - read more about that session here:  http://beachboysarchives.com/page12

Super cool info, and that's touching to hear what Carl B. said. Thanks for sharing that, c-man!

I happened to meet Sterling Smith not too very long ago when he happened to be playing a band performing at a private party for a family friend. I had no idea the BBs connection continued into Sterlilng's own family too. Other than the Smiths, Wilsons, Loves, and Rovells, I wonder how many other people can say that multiple family members played on BB songs.

The Jardines (well, sang, anyway)...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »

The Dragon brothers
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »

The Dragon brothers

Ah yes, I'd forgotten. I have a hunch The BBs might have the most (or nearly the most) sibling musicians ever in their catalog compared to any other band.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »

Both Andy Paley and Jonathan Paley are on both Brian and ostensibly "Beach Boys" material from the "Paley Sessions." Not sure what Jonathan Paley is confirmed on, but I believe he has been named as doing backing vocals on "Some Sweet Day", and was also at the early '95 Brian-Carl-Mike "Beach Boys" session where they may have worked on "Dancing the Night Away" and possibly "Grace of My Heart."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:05:18 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »

Both Andy Paley and Jonathan Paley are on both Brian and ostensibly "Beach Boys" material from the "Paley Sessions." Not sure what Jonathan Paley is confirmed on, but I believe he has been named as doing backing vocals on "Some Sweet Day", and was also at the early '95 Brian-Carl-Mike "Beach Boys" session where they may have worked on "Dancing the Night Away" and possibly "Grace of My Heart."

Interesting. It also just crossed my mind to wonder if Landy and his son ever popped into the studio during a Brian solo track or two to "contribute".
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »

Back to drums, I’d say Denny’s songs have more groove-oriented drum parts. Earthier, funkier, yet driving. For Brian, drums often don’t have their usual time-keeping role, playing odd beats and embellishing here and there.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »

Back to drums, I’d say Denny’s songs have more groove-oriented drum parts. Earthier, funkier, yet driving. For Brian, drums often don’t have their usual time-keeping role, playing odd beats and embellishing here and there.

I concur with this statement. Very different drum arranging styles. I wonder if that was something that developed out of Denny actually being a regular drummer, and (presumably?) spending more time with a kit tinkering around with drum parts when compared to Brian. Not that Brian didn't push many other innovative drum techniques in his own arrangements.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »

I concur with this statement. Very different drum arranging styles. I wonder if that was something that developed out of Denny actually being a regular drummer, and (presumably?) spending more time with a kit tinkering around with drum parts when compared to Brian. Not that Brian didn't push many other innovative drum techniques in his own arrangements.

Engineer Jon Hanlon said, "With Dennis, he was writing melodies and writing really strange time signatures with the drums and really cool things that I'd only heard in jazz...He wrote a lot on the piano but he also wrote on the drums. He'd have melodies in his head that he would work out with rhythm and time and then he'd build a song around that."

http://beachboysarchives.com/page11

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx