gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks Arrested  (Read 12531 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 06:48:59 AM »

To clarify, his post is essentially a "buy the updated book to find out all the crazy stuff that's happened in the last decade" rather than much of any content actually speaking to the recent "incident." Which is fine, and Stebbins is awesome and the first edition of his book with Dave is a must-have and thus I'll be first in line to get the update. Unlike some other bios, I think Dave (and Jon) will actually really tell the real-deal story on everything as they did previously.

But his newest post isn't so much a typical "statement" on the recent incident, as in offering any context or details (which I'm not even suggesting he should have to).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2018, 07:00:23 AM »

Thanks for the heads up! I can't say I'm surprised to hear that Mike was supportive of David during this reunion.

"I’d like to say big thank you’s to: everyone at Capitol who welcomed us home, Rob Reiner for a thoughtful and entertaining discussion, Lou Simon and everyone at SiriusXM for all of their efforts to support the music, Jerry Schilling at Brother Records for bringing us all together, Eric Breslow, for not only making sure we arrived in style (in his Bentley) but for always having our backs, and last but not least, Mike, Jacquelyn, Brian & Ambha Love, who went out of their way to be kind and supportive during what could have been an awkward afternoon, to say the least. Thank you all for the friendship and love! You find your true friends in the darkness!"

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2018, 07:49:31 AM »

But why would the afternoon have been awkward without Mike and his familj??

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »

I wasn't there, but I assume David is referring to the fact that he and his wife were dragged by TMZ. David specifically points to Mike and his family being kind and supportive--I know that might be hard to believe by some people on this board.

If I were in David's shoes, I could see being afraid that I would receive the cold shoulder, or worse. I'm glad to hear that David seems to have had a positive experience.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »

I wasn't there, but I assume David is referring to the fact that he and his wife were dragged by TMZ. David specifically points to Mike and his family being kind and supportive--I know that might be hard to believe by some people on this board.

If I were in David's shoes, I could see being afraid that I would receive the cold shoulder, or worse. I'm glad to hear that David seems to have had a positive experience.

I don't know why it should be hard for anyone to believe. As far as we know, Dave and Mike have seemingly supportive and on basically good terms for 5 decades. Or at least I don't think there's been animosity/bad blood/sore feelings. Almost like a Bruce and Mike situation. I think part of that is there was zero time in the band during which either was vying for a piece of any shared artistic pie... maybe because Dave wasn't in the band long enough for that stuff to develop.

In any case, it's nice to see that Mike (and apparently all the living BBs members) are being supportive of Dave during this time. Yes, Mike unfortunately endlessly brings up bad stuff related to the Wilson brothers (to a point even when Mike's biggest supporters have eventually rolled their eyes as if to say "enough!"), so maybe some people might stretch to think this would be the case with Dave too. But that's not going to happen fortuantely, because Mike has no longstanding jealousy and/or resentment issues with Dave, in the way Mike does with the Wilsons, where he feels the heaps of fan love directed at the Wilsons are simultaneously at his expense.

This type of thing is a complete non-issue with Mike and Dave, where (I think?) not a single fan thinks Mike and Dave negatively impacted each others' artistic growth, adulation, etc., so they fortunately just don't seem to have any of that Wilson/Love baggage that might otherwise perhaps cause Mike to act finger-waggingly (if one is to attempt to predict Mike's reaction by factoring in Mike's unfortunate finger-wagging track record with the Wilsons).

Glad that Dave is immune to this. And I hope (perhaps unrealistically) that this is a sign that Mike will put that finger-wagging thing he repeatedly does behind him for all time now with regards to all his bandmates, past or present.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:56:02 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »

David specifically points to Mike and his family being kind and supportive--I know that might be hard to believe by some people on this board.

Shouldn't be surprising at all to anyone who has read the Stebbins/Marks book. He describes Mike seeking him out, trying to help him through turmoil before and during his late 90s tenure, etc. In some of those cases, I think Mike had additional motives beyond simply abruptly deciding in 1997 that David Marks should be back in the band. But whatever the motivations (and there are surely many), it's well-documented that Mike certainly doesn't have the same "issues" with Dave as he does Brian or Al.

And the same goes for pretty much everybody vis-à-vis David Marks. He generally gets along with everyone, and certainly doesn't the same 50+ years of politics and ill will built up that the other guys do.

And as far as whatever happened earlier this month with David, I'm pretty sure some of he guys in the band have had *far* darker skeletons in their own closet.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx