gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:29:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Nesmith Reveals Quadruple-bypass Surgery - Still Plans to Tour In September  (Read 3217 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »

This story is currently trending as #1 on Rolling Stone's website, and has been reported by other major outlets.
Link:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-michael-nesmith-recovering-from-quadruple-bypass-heart-surgery-703665/

It was just before a show in Philadelphia with Micky Dolenz where Mike was taken to the hospital just before showtime, the show was abruptly canceled, and Mike as the article says flew back west for what would be quadruple-bypass surgery. I had hoped to attend that show, but could not due to work scheduling, however I know of board members and friends who did have tickets. It was a shock to put it mildly, but far less of a shock than what this news today revealed. I'm glad as are most of Nez's fans, and Monkees fans especially, that he is recovering and wish him the best.

But it was the last few paragraphs of the article that struck me as a parallel to what has been happening through the years specific to Brian Wilson's touring. Despite what you'll read (and what many know) is a grueling and difficult surgical procedure with just as grueling of a recovery...Mike says he is still planning to tour with his First National Band lineup starting the first week of September.

Quote:
Things are going so well that he’s going ahead with a previously planned First National Band tour that kicks off September 7th in Houston and wraps up September 23rd in Ridgefield, Connecticut. He played a short California club tour with a new incarnation of his pioneering country rock band earlier this year, but this is his first nationwide tour with them since their 1972 split. “Most of it is sold out, so that was really encouraging,” he says. “I thought the First National Band was just marginal and had been tossed away by the Monkees powers and nobody liked them.”

The tour schedule is pretty grueling for a 75-year-old recovering from major heart surgery, but Nesmith says he’s prepared. “It is going to be a lot of traveling,” he says. “But it’s pretty easy travel once you’re in the jet class. That gets me to the city from the airport and into a bed very quickly. Then I can sleep until soundcheck. Between that and decent meals, I should be fine.”

He’s currently considering offers to take the band to Europe, Australia and Asia, but is unsure about overseas dates. (Nesmith says he’ll definitely make up the four postponed Mike and Micky shows early next year, including a Red Bank, New Jersey show at Count Basie Theater on March 5th. The other three rescheduled dates should be announced in the near future.)

No plans are in place for additional Mike and Micky shows beyond the make-up dates, but Nesmith says he’s willing to book them should the market demand it. “I’m wide open in terms of what’s going to be,” he says. “I don’t have any reason to say no to anything.”

As we know and can read in the article, this is a 75 year old man who is a multimillionaire who does not have to tour for the income if he chose not to. And for many years, he did not - Choosing instead to work on various multimedia ventures, along with hosting series of intellectual conferences and gatherings, like a communal think-tank, which gathered some of the brightest thinkers together to discuss various topics. He also runs his own companies which release his works...

So anyway it made me think of all that fans have had to read in terms of comments regarding health, the ability or inability to tour due to health, the reasons why a man of very comfortable means would choose to hit the road and tour to play mid-level venues...

And I just thought it was an interesting parallel, comparison, and in some ways a rebuke toward some of the voices wondering why Brian Wilson or any similar musician of that age would be touring when the opinions were that they were either too ill to do so, or the reason for touring was other than the reasons why Mike Nesmith is planning to tour as early as September after having such a major surgery.

Just food for thought. Anyway, best to Papa Nez and best wishes for a speedy recovery and a great tour. I hope to see him and Micky when or if they reschedule the canceled Philly show.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:03:20 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »

I was supposed to go to one of the canceled Mike & Micky shows.  They’re pretty adamant about rescheduling though I haven’t heard anything concrete yet.  Either way, I hope he’s in the best of health if or when it happens.  He doesn’t owe us anything.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »

I saw one of the last - if not the last - Mike & Micky show before the tour was cancelled. I had no idea why until now. Glad to hear he seems to be recovering nicely. He did seem off during the show and, in fact, the stage interaction was awkward. The band sounded great though and I was happy to have seen the show.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »

I was supposed to go to one of the canceled Mike & Micky shows.  They’re pretty adamant about rescheduling though I haven’t heard anything concrete yet.  Either way, I hope he’s in the best of health if or when it happens.  He doesn’t owe us anything.

Absolutely. If there are tickets available for a Philly reschedule, I hope to go this time. I saw Nez a few years ago on a solo tour and it was phenomenal, I think I wrote about it in the General Music section here too. I crossed that off my bucket list as having seen in person one of my favorite musicians and biggest influences!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »

I saw one of the last - if not the last - Mike & Micky show before the tour was cancelled. I had no idea why until now. Glad to hear he seems to be recovering nicely. He did seem off during the show and, in fact, the stage interaction was awkward. The band sounded great though and I was happy to have seen the show.

Isn't it amazing to read Mike had an oxygen tank setup backstage at those shows like the one you saw? I don't think anyone had a clue outside the inner circle and tour staff, and I know fans around Philly including those who drove pretty far from out of state to attend were shocked when that show was canceled hours before curtain. All I got to see were the various Facebook live streams of a few songs from various tour dates that they were putting up.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »

Isn't it amazing to read Mike had an oxygen tank setup backstage at those shows like the one you saw? I don't think anyone had a clue outside the inner circle and tour staff, and I know fans around Philly including those who drove pretty far from out of state to attend were shocked when that show was canceled hours before curtain. All I got to see were the various Facebook live streams of a few songs from various tour dates that they were putting up.

Yes, it's quite sad. All things considered, he put on an amazing show.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »

I got to go backstage at the Denver show and saw the oxygen tank and chair that was set up for him as we were heading to the green room. It was just a couple feet from the stage. I didn't think twice because i thought it was just normal thing for performers if they needed some extra help at that altitude.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »

How long did it take for Bruce Johnston to go back on tour after his bypass surgery?
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »

I think he's crazy to go back so soon. It's just not worth it.
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »

I'm a little upset that Micky and the tour producer, knowing about the oxygen mask, didn't stop the tour earlier.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »

Mike is still going to make his August 10-12 appearance here in Pittsburgh.  Autographs and photos. Low stress. He can take a break if needed.

https://www.steelcitycon.com/celebrities/

I'm sure Mike got clearance from his Doctors. The arteries are open. Oxygen is getting to and through the heart. He should be OK. I just hope he's avoided the pain pills after the surgery. Don't want him to go the way of Petty, Prince and so many others.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:32:27 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »

Don't these guys ever, like, retire, and just decide to spend the rest of their time tending their garden, or something?

The only 60's-70's rocker I know of who decided to do that is Grace Slick.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:25:39 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »

Don't these guys ever, like, retire, and just decide to spend the rest of their time tending their garden, or something?

Maybe they see that their remaining time on earth is growing short, so they want to cram as much into their final years as possible?
I mean, it's strange, Nez didn't tour at all for decades after the First National Band broke up. Well, okay, he did do one UK tour with the Monkees in 97, and maybe a few scattered dates over the years to support his solo albums, but nothing like the schedule he's kept in the 2010's. He seemed to have very little interest in performing live until recently.
Gee, who else do we know like that?
I think part of what is happening is, as they've aged, they are not coming up with as many new songs, albums, etc; the well of inspiration is drying up. But they are still able to perform at a reasonable level, so that's where the action is.
Again, who else do we know like that?
 Huh
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »

Bill Withers has been retired from performing for many years.

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »

Maybe Mike doesn't like gardening.
Seriously - if you wanted to tour and didn't need to do it for the money, could travel in much more comfort than in your early years, and play to audiences who still want to hear what you have to say, you would do it too.  And think about it - for someone who has lived a life like Mike's, in which he has been wealthy and has pretty much never had to work a regular job, "retirement" just isn't a thing.  He's been doing whatever the hell he wants for much of his adult life, and never had the "daily grind".  So if he's ready, willing, and able, more power to him.  The idea of sending people in their 70s out to pasture is outdated and, frankly, insulting.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:34 PM »

Come to think of it, Elton John recently announced he'd be retiring from touring after his last tour this year. But your "typical" person his age would have done that, like, at least 5 years ago, maybe 10. I think Paul Simon has said something similar.

I can see somebody in their 60's doing some concerts, but unless you're in really good shape I'd think 70's is really stretching it. I can see doing some creative work at that age, but touring is pretty strenuous.

Anyway, not to say these guys are crazy (though ... maybe they are :D ) and I wish them luck, but one can't help but wonder if touring while in your 70's might not be optimal for one's health?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx