gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Kokomo Brands" - Mike Love's Newest Business Venture Seeking Investors?  (Read 7526 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »

There is a website:

http://www.kokomobrands.com/

"Kokomo Brands"

Looks like a business venture seeking capital and investors, centered around Mike Love and Kokomo, and branding it into various interests and markets centered around Mike and the Kokomo lifestyle theme. The whole website looks like a business pitch to get people on board.

Just curious what this is all about.

Any venture capitalists reading the board?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »

Hope it garners as much interest as the failed Vibe Room and his tanked Uhnleash The luHv. What a money grubber.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:47:46 PM »

So THIS is why there's a press conference?  Cheesy Roll Eyes

In all seriousness, though, it looks like he had a discussion with Jimmy Buffett. I can't say I'm a fan of this, or even the target demographic, but at least Mike's version of Margaritaville will have more vegetarian/vegan options for me to eat if I ever end up at one.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:48:43 PM »

There's doubt Mike could think up sth. like this. He must be educated in this sphere, then again there's video courses, express classes etc. He could be advised to check them. *If* it's his idea.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »

I wonder how the Le Meridien chain will feel about their hotel in Bora Bora being used to plug Mikes resort (trademarked) ‘Club Kokomo Cove’?

http://www.northsouthtravel.com/le-meridien-bora-bora

Sounds like lawyers could be getting busy soon.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:00:01 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »

W T F ? ?

https://www.trademarkia.com/company-michael-e-love-4516721-page-1-2

Coffee, tea, rum, cocktail mixes, eyewear, fragrances, and: "Bleaching preparations and other substances for laundry use; cleaning, polishing, scouring and abrasive preparations; soaps; perfumery, essential oils, cosmetics, hair lotions; dentifrices."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:08:46 PM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »

Hope it garners as much interest as the failed Vibe Room and his tanked Uhnleash The luHv. What a money grubber.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
OSD as pitchman? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »

This was tried (albeit not in a tropical setting, etc.), *with* the actual Beach Boys branding, 26 years ago and presumably before too long failed, right?

Here's some video from the 1992 opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ejxXXFJE3Q

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 06:52:44 AM »

And you can still visit that location in Hermosa Beach now, by grabbing a slice of some Round Table Pizza!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 06:57:41 AM »

My thoughts? Probably 30 years too late. Now back in the late 80's, I think the play would have been Kokomo time shares. The timeshare market was growing. Ironically, just yesterday on another board someone was mentioning that, at the time people were filing into travel agencies looking to fly to Kokomo! Creating Caribbean Kokomo destinations may have been temporarily lucrative, with an exit strategy of going public or getting swallowed up by a bigger resort chain. Brother Stephen was long gone by then, but he could have made this work.

Mike and Jimmy would have talked at the Capitol 4th event. But Buffetts success can't be duplicated. The Beach Boys brand doesn't have Parrotheads or Kiss Army followers that will shell out for any conceivable type of merchandise. It's actually probably the opposite. A divided fan base, half of whom loathe anything associated with Michael.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 06:58:21 AM »

Let us all mourn that we'll never again be able to try to the totally-appropriately-named "Brian Wilson's Kokomo Platter."

Now I'm imagining a Brian-helmed restaurant serving "Mike Love's Smile Cornfield Platter."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »

My thoughts? Probably 30 years too late. Now back in the late 80's, I think the play would have been Kokomo time shares. The timeshare market was growing. Ironically, just yesterday on another board someone was mentioning that, at the time people were filing into travel agencies looking to fly to Kokomo! Creating Caribbean Kokomo destinations may have been temporarily lucrative, with an exit strategy of going public or getting swallowed up by a bigger resort chain. Brother Stephen was long gone by then, but he could have made this work.

Mike and Jimmy would have talked at the Capitol 4th event. But Buffetts success can't be duplicated. The Beach Boys brand doesn't have Parrotheads or Kiss Army followers that will shell out for any conceivable type of merchandise. It's actually probably the opposite. A divided fan base, half of whom loathe anything associated with Michael.

This Kokomo Brands venture was on the books and the ball was rolling months before the July 4th concert.

And that restaurant shown via the menu photo was not the only attempt at similar branding by Mike - "Club Kokomo" was also tried and failed in 1997 as an attempt to launch a chain of theme restaurants.

The difference here is they seem to be fishing for investors for a wide-ranging "lifestyle" brand under the Kokomo theme. As mentioned...including personal care products, and a host of other products and services.

It's an ambitious attempt, looks like they're casting a very wide net to get people to invest on the strength of the name Kokomo.

Which leads me to ask, will John Phillips' estate get any percentages of royalties or licensing fees if any part of this venture does take off? Because as Melcher mentioned in an interview when Kokomo hit #1, it was John Phillips who named the song and put the initial song ideas and chords on tape.

Just to get the facts straight on that part of it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »

I'm perplexed as to how Mike, who tours all year and brings in a ton of money, could be either too bored or so interested in making more money that they'd want to go for this "Kokomo" theme.

Hopefully investors will do their due diligence and look back at past "Kokomo"-related branding failures. And, as I mentioned, back in the 90s Mike could use the "Beach Boys" name for such projects, whereas now he can't.

The Beach Boys have generally just not had the branding success that the Beatles or even Jimmy Buffett have had, for whatever reason. But hey, they did make a BRI-approved singing toothbrush!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 12:44:59 PM »

And yes, "Music in Your Mouth" absolutely *was* the working title for "Unleash the Love".......

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »

I'm still SMH. Mike thinks there's be demand for Kokomo® brand laundry detergent and toothpaste??

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »

Mike and Jimmy would have talked at the Capitol 4th event. But Buffetts success can't be duplicated. The Beach Boys brand doesn't have Parrotheads or Kiss Army followers that will shell out for any conceivable type of merchandise. It's actually probably the opposite. A divided fan base, half of whom loathe anything associated with Michael
And Steve would have skimmed the profits off the top for sure.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:57:05 PM by tpesky » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »

Just looking at the first link. A very poor quality copy of the Dan Rather interview where incidentally, Mike looked the worse I have ever known him to look. Lifted pictures of a faceless restaurant, clothing store etc. Amateur hour.

Again, using a picture of an established resort to promote your own brand. Mike took Brian to court over his image being used for a newspaper giveaway. Pot/ kettle/ black.

The list of themed bars and restaurants failing is extremely long. I doubt this will even get out of the gate.
Til...I...@died
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »

Kokomo brand amyl nitrate....It’s Landy tested and approved!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »

Just looking at the first link. A very poor quality copy of the Dan Rather interview where incidentally, Mike looked the worse I have ever known him to look. Lifted pictures of a faceless restaurant, clothing store etc. Amateur hour.

Again, using a picture of an established resort to promote your own brand. Mike took Brian to court over his image being used for a newspaper giveaway. Pot/ kettle/ black.

The list of themed bars and restaurants failing is extremely long. I doubt this will even get out of the gate.

Wow, I didn't even notice how amateurish the website is. The *short* clip of the Rather interview isn't even a direct copy; it appears to be a cell phone video aimed at a monitor playing it back. *And*, the video clip is hosted on Dropbox instead of on the website itself. It includes one random Dropbox comment (maybe from the person who posted it?) from nine months ago mentioning the interview was an hour long and they just recorded that one little segment.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »

http://www.bailiwickventures.com/#portfolio

Gene Simmons will be jealous.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »

Let us all mourn that we'll never again be able to try to the totally-appropriately-named "Brian Wilson's Kokomo Platter."

Now I'm imagining a Brian-helmed restaurant serving "Mike Love's Smile Cornfield Platter."

If Brian Wilson's name was gonna be attached to some sort of "Kokomo" food product, it should have been a food dish of Spanish origin, as a nod to the only version of the song Brian sings on  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 03:53:15 PM »

Next up, Kokomo Sunscreen.

https://youtu.be/rlJaGMLZjrg
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »

That “Mike Love tribute shirt” is literally just a shirt. What in sh*t is this?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »

Wow, I didn't even notice how amateurish the website is. The *short* clip of the Rather interview isn't even a direct copy; it appears to be a cell phone video aimed at a monitor playing it back. *And*, the video clip is hosted on Dropbox instead of on the website itself. It includes one random Dropbox comment (maybe from the person who posted it?) from nine months ago mentioning the interview was an hour long and they just recorded that one little segment.

I noticed that too. It's a cel phone video of a television screen playing the interview. Just put aside any talk of bashing or bias and the like, and looking at the presentation itself, it's amateurish although the web design itself is pretty sleek and modern looking on first click (and that's the only click that matters if this is the sales package for investors). If they can't score the rights to use the actual Dan Rather video clip for whatever reason to market this venture, then find another video to embed. Generally investors are wooed by the quality and flash of a presentation like this.

I don't know how this passed muster.

Nor as mentioned does it look good to copy and paste another corporate hotel chain's marketing photo of their cabana/grotto/getaway design to imply that's what Club Kokomo will look like. Not wanting to go too deep into those areas, unless permission as granted by that other corporation or unless that specific hotel's layout was the product of the Club Kokomo team, you just can't copy and paste advertising images that way to use as your own.

Anyway...

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »

http://www.bailiwickventures.com/#portfolio

Gene Simmons will be jealous.

I don't understand that advertising copy for the brand. It, along with some of the text of the website, either implies or states outright that ownership of the song Kokomo belongs to Mike Love.

The reasons why that is not accurate are many, but boil it down to the fact that the song was a John Phillips idea and composition (cowritten with Scott McKenzie) that Mike and Terry Melcher reworked. It is not Mike's song.

And beyond that, it is and was a Beach Boys song and #1 hit that most people know, a reworked version of a John Phillips release. Not a Mike Love release. Carl sang on the song as much as Mike did. John Phillips had the initial concept and wrote more of the song along with the other two co-writers than Mike.

Any artist can brand and market anything they choose to put on the market, but this entire venture hinges on the notion that Kokomo somehow belongs to Mike, along with all related imagery and "lifestyle" elements contained in the song. It's just not accurate.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx