gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
637803 Posts in 25493 Topics by 3625 Members - Latest Member: spgass September 21, 2018, 09:24:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 24481 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2018, 04:48:12 PM »

I'm on board for probably most if not all of Reiner's politics. Sean Hannity shouldn't be anywhere near a BB event, and never would thankfully.

Could you imagine that? Hannity calling none of the Boys ever playing on any of their records and Mike writing all the songs a proven fact? I can see a version of "Our cartoon president"'s Hannity having the BBs as guests, though  LOL

There's nothing else to say - LOL
nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 17, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »

I'm on board for probably most if not all of Reiner's politics. Sean Hannity shouldn't be anywhere near a BB event, and never would thankfully.

But Reiner hosting this event is actually quite a bit like Ron Howard's work on the Beatles "Eight Days a Week" film: Bland, inoffensive, and someone who can get the job done without any hiccups.

Leaving his politics 100% to one side I don't think this is entirely fair. Howard's knowledge of, and relationship with, The Beatles is nothing like Reiner's with the BBs. While Reiner dominated the intro he then settled very, very well into the interview and used his knowledge to augment the band's answers. It was pretty impressively done and I'd love to hear him interview them again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: August 20, 2018, 07:48:36 AM »

But Reiner hosting this event is actually quite a bit like Ron Howard's work on the Beatles "Eight Days a Week" film: Bland, inoffensive, and someone who can get the job done without any hiccups.

Leaving his politics 100% to one side I don't think this is entirely fair. Howard's knowledge of, and relationship with, The Beatles is nothing like Reiner's with the BBs. While Reiner dominated the intro he then settled very, very well into the interview and used his knowledge to augment the band's answers. It was pretty impressively done and I'd love to hear him interview them again.

Reiner's work on the Q&A was pretty darn similar to how I'd characterize Howard's work on the Beatles film. Professional, competent, and with an eye towards general, non-fan and casual-fan audiences. In both cases, a deep, intricate familiarity on the part of Reiner or Howard, or the audiences for those projects, was not needed.

In both cases, there was some pretty clichéd, sort of filler commentary. Objectively, it was a bit odd to refer to "the genius, Brian Wilson." As I've said, I'm firmly of the belief that if such a thing as a genius exists, Brian is one. But the way Reiner introduced Brian sounded kind of like introducing George Harrison at an event as "the quiet Beatle." Brian's super broad-stroke, one-word encapsulation as "the genius" may be on its face more flattering than others that one might get (e.g. calling Mike "the TM guy" or something), but it's just as overly-simplistic and I'd argue kind of weirdly patronizing.

But I'm just nitpicking. Reiner was fine, and as I've probably already said, you kind of need a mainstream sort of "Larry King" format for such a show.

But I do think there are a small number of people who fit all the bills Reiner did, if not more so, such as knowing all the members, being trusted by all the members, knowing how to moderate an event, knowing how to interview, and knowing how to make the event for a "wide" audience, but yet are also well-versed experts. Howie Edelson and Alan Boyd would be two obvious examples. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx