gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:30:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180589 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 08, 2018, 02:21:53 AM »

Your short one-liners don't add anything to discussion. I brought valid points in reply & instead of doing the same, you post sth. like you did just now.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 08, 2018, 03:36:17 AM »

Don t drink the Kool-Aid is an American expression. Guitarfool was basically saying "that's bs" to the idea that Brian's wife had anything to do with the end of C50.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 08, 2018, 05:26:18 AM »

GF2002 on point!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 08, 2018, 06:00:54 AM »

Jay’s valued input is more than “one liners”.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:54 AM »

Jay is adult, can answer about "one-liners" without your help. I'm sick beyond by the "spokesperson" roles people take here & elsewhere. & by the time you said that thing, Jay read & replied already to my reply. It's over, you know?

Otherwise, the point stands - Lonely Summer's troll post got picture post back. Makes sense, not sure what's difficult to get it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 08, 2018, 06:31:57 AM »

Don t drink the Kool-Aid is an American expression. Guitarfool was basically saying "that's bs" to the idea that Brian's wife had anything to do with the end of C50.
Yes, I'm going to quote myself to make a quick "addendum" to my post above. I meant to say that I took GF's quotation of Lonely Summer's as "trolling", as a few people here seem to have an issue with him.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 08, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »

But to be fair, heyjude tried to explain yet again the “email” story to lonely summer and Matt Etherton. Yet the koolaid of AGD misinformation stuck with them..,,

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: August 08, 2018, 06:36:49 AM »

Good gravy already, the whole Mike ended C50 thing is bogus. BRIAN 'S WIFE ended it with the "no more Wilson dates" email: that is a fact.
Well at least one person has their facts straight.

*EVEN* if one believed that the alleged e-mail had some sort of impact on the end of the tour (despite REAMS of evidence to the contrary from folks including Mike himself), to assert it is a FACT that "BRIAN'S WIFE" sending one e-mail was the one and only reason for the end of C50 is, frankly, either troll behavior or such a gross lack of understanding of the history of C50 and of this band that one should refrain from discussing the topic until they become educated on the topic.

As in, simply reading MIKE'S OWN BOOK will give you MANY other reasons why the tour ended. The main take away after reading the book was that Mike made it EXPLICITY clear that he didn't like many if not most aspects of the tour and the reunion in general and got the hell out of there as quickly as he could. Really, his book, while having in my opinion some conflicting reasoning, actually offers some pretty strong clarity on why Mike didn't want to continue. To suggest the alleged "Wilson e-mail" ended C50 ignores MIKE'S OWN WORDS.

There ONE reason and one reason only in my opinion to make the ridiculous assertion that "the e-mail" caused the end of C50, and that is either to blindly (in my opinion) defend Mike Love (thus owning up to things even less than Mike himself does), and/or to attack Melinda and/or Brian. Or again, a GROSS and FUNDAMENTAL lack of understanding and knowledge of the C50 project and the band in general.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 08, 2018, 06:44:05 AM »

Lonely summer's been saying about how Brian is this, Brian that, various negative comments on & on & on ad infinitum. Now he just simply confirms it's "fact" when Matt Etherton blames Melinda that C50 ended due to her email. & that's AFTER posters, including HeyJude, explaining with great detail that it's rubbish. So, troll post gets similar troll-like reply. Makes sense? No? Better question is - why do you care? It's not like Lonely Summer is your best friend or sth., yet it's like you defend him or what. Everybody can defend themselves. If Lonely Summer will be deeply upset by that red-faced round chap pic, he'll reply himself to it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:45:35 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: August 08, 2018, 06:45:39 AM »

I have to say, having been on this board for 13 years and having been "interwebbing" on BB boards for over 20 years, I'm surprised how often someone posting a snarky picture is somehow seen by some more as "trolling" than sentences and paragraphs of clear trolling language.

As in, literally if the post had been, in text, "don't drink the Kool Aid" instead of the actual picture, seemingly less hackles would be raised.

Posting a pic like that is snark, but the message is basically on point. A few people are borderline-trolling with assertions about an e-mail ending the 2012 reunion, after SIX YEARS of most likely probably over a MILLION words written on the subject on this board, not to mention dozens of interviews, numerous books including two "autobiographies", and so on. NONE of these sources assert that one e-mail ended the reunion. The one person who most strongly raises the e-mail as in issue is Mike, and in his book he NEVER asserts that the e-mail was the reason the reunion ended. He does imply the e-mail was the impetus for the TIMING of when he started booking his own shows. That's all. I frankly am somewhat skeptical of even this assertion, but even if we take it at face value, he's not asserting everything was just fine and dandy until that e-mail came in. Indeed, in his book, he describes events BEFORE THE TOUR EVEN STARTED that nearly caused him to QUIT the tour before it even started.

So yeah, there's a point at which a few people trying to assert one e-mail was the sole cause of the end of the reunion is either knowingly trolling or, if simply due to a lack of being educated on the topic at hand, I guess sort of "unknowingly" trolling?

Either way, it's a spreading of misinformation that goes *well* past a case of "we'll just have to agree to disagree."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:57:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 08, 2018, 06:48:18 AM »

Why is it assumed that Bruce prefers the M&B band over reunion band? I recall him saying to a member of this board when asked what he missed, he listed his bandmates. Does Bruce make more with the M&B band than he did with C50?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 08, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »

2HeyJude: I didn't get that cutesy dork-faced pic a la monolithic's ava' as snark. Too cute picture. Is there sth. I missed? But everything else, since you called these posters trolls, why did you reply with detail to Lonely Summer if you know very well he will not change his opinion? Let's not feed trolls.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: August 08, 2018, 06:54:40 AM »

Why is it assumed that Bruce prefers the M&B band over reunion band? I recall him saying to a member of this board when asked what he missed, he listed his bandmates. Does Bruce make more with the M&B band than he did with C50?

I'm not sure that saying he prefers one over the other is the best way to put it.

I would say that his posts in early 2012 prior to the C50 tour starting did seem to be very oddly jubilant (in my opinion) about the idea that there would be *no more* shows with all members after a specific date. I never saw him post "I hope we keep the reunion together permanently" or anything along those lines.

He made some comments, during the C50 tour if I'm recalling correctly, that weirdly kind of implied Brian's guys couldn't "keep up" with a hectic touring schedule, sort of bragging that his typical "Mike & Bruce" schedule was as and in fact more hectic. I remember thinking what a dumb comment this was considering how LITTLE he adds to the shows in either format. It's like, those other guys are doing all of the musical heavy lifting outside of Dave's guitar.

I don't think anyone knows if Bruce's salary was more or less on C50 compared to the M&B tour. My guess is that C50, being a more prestige event playing to generally larger audiences with a higher ticket price, easily could have paid Bruce out more *per show*, but remember that C50 was 73 shows while Bruce probably typically does 150-ish shows per year with Mike.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:59:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: August 08, 2018, 07:04:05 AM »

2HeyJude: I didn't get that cutesy dork-faced pic a la monolithic's ava' as snark. Too cute picture. Is there sth. I missed? But everything else, since you called these posters trolls, why did you reply with detail to Lonely Summer if you know very well he will not change his opinion? Let's not feed trolls.

Yeah, I can't really particularly try to speak for the original poster about what the precise point of the Kool-Aid Man pic was. I'm not even sure it was meant to convey "don't drink the Kool Aid." I think it was just a snarky reference using some irony or sarcasm. That is, in the old Kool Aid TV commercials (and more modern callback references to those old commercials), the Kool Aid man bursts into a room, often destroying a wall, and simply says "Oh yeah!"

I think it's a pretty specific sort of irony/sarcasm that one either gets or doesn't get.

This is getting way too meta for this board, but here's a joke using the Kool Aid man motif from a super old episode of "Family Guy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il-FKVnEnDg
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:05:27 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 08, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »

Good gravy already, the whole Mike ended C50 thing is bogus. BRIAN 'S WIFE ended it with the "no more Wilson dates" email: that is a fact.
Well at least one person has their facts straight.

*EVEN* if one believed that the alleged e-mail had some sort of impact on the end of the tour (despite REAMS of evidence to the contrary from folks including Mike himself), to assert it is a FACT that "BRIAN'S WIFE" sending one e-mail was the one and only reason for the end of C50 is, frankly, either troll behavior or such a gross lack of understanding of the history of C50 and of this band that one should refrain from discussing the topic until they become educated on the topic.

As in, simply reading MIKE'S OWN BOOK will give you MANY other reasons why the tour ended. The main take away after reading the book was that Mike made it EXPLICITY clear that he didn't like many if not most aspects of the tour and the reunion in general and got the hell out of there as quickly as he could. Really, his book, while having in my opinion some conflicting reasoning, actually offers some pretty strong clarity on why Mike didn't want to continue. To suggest the alleged "Wilson e-mail" ended C50 ignores MIKE'S OWN WORDS.

There ONE reason and one reason only in my opinion to make the ridiculous assertion that "the e-mail" caused the end of C50, and that is either to blindly (in my opinion) defend Mike Love (thus owning up to things even less than Mike himself does), and/or to attack Melinda and/or Brian. Or again, a GROSS and FUNDAMENTAL lack of understanding and knowledge of the C50 project and the band in general.

But the email certainly deserves discussion if one wants to form an opinion of the end of C50. Mike (as per his book) is having all kinds of problems with Melinda. He has his back up from the beginning, feels he isn't given his proper place in the studio. But he is apparently supposed to be 'in charge' on the tour side. He claims Melinda starts interfering in the process, and he almost walks before the tour even starts. As it rolls along, Mike is finding several issues with, what mostly seems to be, exorbitant tour expenses from Brian's 'camp'

So when the first email comes, (and I think it's important to note that two emails are discussed), which seems to be in response to an offer in Israel, Mike mentions it as, I suppose, some justification in booking new dates. Now he also mentions a second email. The first was sent June 1, the second email, some 20 days later. Days! Not minutes or hours. If there was no further discussion within that 20 day period, I could see Mike believing that there would indeed be no more shows.  If Mike is claiming that when Melinda wrote back to ask him to disregard the original email, that it was somehow too late to reverse the wheels in motion, well that seems questionable. But, as has been discussed to death here, the reason(s) are pretty clear why the tour didn't continue. Mike liked his own setup better. Emails, studio snubs, tour expenses, in the end he was going back to M&B. I'm glad he stuck it out for as long as he did, we were treated to some great shows.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: August 08, 2018, 08:15:08 AM »

What's funny is that I posted *three* posts about C50 after the discussion veered off to C50 and some misconceptions about it, three posts with both legit facts about C50 and a few questions to consider based on what actually ended up happening, and posting an image of Kool-Aid Man becomes the takeaway!  Grin

However someone wants to interpret the image, interpret it as such. But when actual facts and words are ignored or do not register on the radar, a cartoon can sometimes be an option.

Another point that everyone is ignoring is what did the emails immediately before and after the "magic bullet" email actually say? It's funny how one out of a string of emails gets pulled out referenced, yet none of the others before or after are referenced or quoted.

So what was said/emailed/written before and after "No More Wilsons"?

Answer that and we'll be able to have a discussion with all that was potentially on the table when it all unfolded.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 08, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »

All the “email” talk was from a discredited historian who was VERY lucky to only be banned from SS....

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: August 08, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »

It felt like from that initial statement Mike gave to the press about not wanting to risk overexposure, the list of reasons given out via messages, interviews, and even fan forums which are called "unimportant" or whatever seemed to get longer over the years. It felt like - and this is just my opinion - when one reason was waved in our collective faces along the lines of "set end date" and that reason didn't stick, another one would come out. And that's what I outlined in a previous post, where it seemed a few years after the fact all of a sudden the profitability and expenses of the tour became an issue that no one had mentioned for at least a year prior, when all the talk was of email and "set end dates".

And again, it's not a case of randomly putting this stuff into discussions - When someone brings it up, it will (and should) be addressed, especially when said "facts" are not quite factual or do not tell the whole story.

Again, the basic question surrounding that email comes down to what was in the emails before and after that one everyone cites? It's odd that only the supposed transcript of a single email in what was an important email chain if it did in fact alter the course of the future touring plans has been presented. Where are the rest, what did they say? We've been asking that for years at this point.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: August 08, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »

But the email certainly deserves discussion if one wants to form an opinion of the end of C50. Mike (as per his book) is having all kinds of problems with Melinda. He has his back up from the beginning, feels he isn't given his proper place in the studio. But he is apparently supposed to be 'in charge' on the tour side. He claims Melinda starts interfering in the process, and he almost walks before the tour even starts. As it rolls along, Mike is finding several issues with, what mostly seems to be, exorbitant tour expenses from Brian's 'camp'

So when the first email comes, (and I think it's important to note that two emails are discussed), which seems to be in response to an offer in Israel, Mike mentions it as, I suppose, some justification in booking new dates. Now he also mentions a second email. The first was sent June 1, the second email, some 20 days later. Days! Not minutes or hours. If there was no further discussion within that 20 day period, I could see Mike believing that there would indeed be no more shows.  If Mike is claiming that when Melinda wrote back to ask him to disregard the original email, that it was somehow too late to reverse the wheels in motion, well that seems questionable. But, as has been discussed to death here, the reason(s) are pretty clear why the tour didn't continue. Mike liked his own setup better. Emails, studio snubs, tour expenses, in the end he was going back to M&B. I'm glad he stuck it out for as long as he did, we were treated to some great shows.

I just re-read this entire section of Mike's book again.

The "no more shows for Wilson" e-mail certainly deserves a mention when discussing C50 and its demise. And that's about it. Even if you use Mike's book as the *sole* source of info on C50, it's *patently* obvious that the e-mail has nothing to do with his attitude about the reunion, and had zero impact on his choice to not continue it. The e-mail is essentially one bit of info of something that happened; Mike doesn't even give it much context in his book and doesn't describe whether he should have maybe followed up for some clarification (but in a much later interview, he delved into that topic, more on that in a moment...).

Looking again at Mike's book, one point I haven't even been mentioning (and which, prior to the book's publication, Mike also never mentioned as far as I'm aware) is that Melinda only three weeks later said to disregard the previous e-mail. As had been the case up to that point, Mike himself doesn't express that he made ANY overtures to anybody about wanting to continue. Before, during, and after the tour, by his own words, he describes the project in resoundingly negative terms other than the music being made on stage. He literally calls it the most stressful thing he's ever dealt with. Really?

Back to how Mike could have or should have responded to such a non-sequitur e-mail, or how he thought they may have wanted him to respond, let's turn to the January 2018 MOJO interview with Mike:

So we received an offer
to perform in Israel as part of the 50th Anniversary
tour. It was quite lucrative. Before I had the chance
to even review the offer, Melinda Wilson responded
in an email and very clearly and succinctly said, “No
more shows for Wilson.” At that point there were
a ton of offers on the table
for my version of The Beach Boys, but we hadn’t
confirmed any of them at that point. So when
we received Melinda’s email saying, “No more
shows for Wilson,” we didn’t go back to them
and ask, “Oh my God, what are you thinking? We
should continue to do this” – which is what I
think they hoped we would do – we honoured
that email, we got on the phone with Terry
Rhodes of [concert agency] ICM and said, “It
looks like Brian’s done, we have to start booking
dates, as Mike’s Beach Boys are obligated
contractually to tour.” It’s very clear.

Does this sound like someone that's doing ANYTHING to try to make the reunion work? It smells very much like he's chomping at the bit to get back to his own thing, and a took a five-word e-mail without much context and didn't bother to follow-up AT ALL. (I'm setting aside the highly dubious reasoning that he was obligated to book tour dates; the existence of the C50 tour PROVES that any such obligations can be waved and/or substituted with reunion shows, especially considering three of the four BRI voting members were part of the reunion tour). 

He even spells out *precisely* the reaction I think most fans would have wanted anybody in his position to have, which was to ask *some* sort of follow-up question and express that it's crazy to not continue.

In fact, as I mentioned back when that interview was posted, *Mike's interpretation* of the e-mail seems to imply, in my opinion, that he thought the e-mail wasn't even necessarily true and that it was some sort of power play or reverse-psychology attempt to make Mike actually fight for continuing the reunion. Again, just my interpretation. The bottom line is that most any normal person with common sense who had *any* reason or desire to continue the project at hand would have asked SOME SORT of follow-up question. By his own words, Mike did not. As I also mentioned back then, for all Mike knew, Melinda was saying no more shows because Brian was ill or injured or had some issue. Mike apparently didn't write back with anything like "Oh, geez, the reunion is going so well. Is Brian okay? Why doesn't he want to do any more shows?"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:46:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2018, 09:00:27 AM »

Even after reading the book's quote, there are points to put the microscope on and clarify, for those who wish to do so or take what's in that book at face value. Too much of a task to pull out each one, but the ones most glaring should stand out to anyone who has followed this.

Briefly, so Mike suggests a "ton of offers" were coming in for his M&B lineup. The vagueness of that should jump off the page. As seen with Nutty Jerry's, which was the only booking of note that we saw evidence of because it played out in the local press, they thought they were booking "The Beach Boys" as in C50 lineup when they had a chance to book The Beach Boys to play a show. It turned into a debacle.

As far as a show in Israel, I wonder if this was the show which mysteriously got canceled a few years later, with still no explanation why it officially got canceled to this day. Some Israeli press reports and comments published at the time suggested fans were buying tickets thinking they'd see...wait for it...the C50 lineup with Brian and Al, and when it was clarified that it was Mike's lineup, fans were upset. That's just what was in the reports at the time (which were posted here BTW as it unfolded), and again no official reason why the show was scrapped has ever been offered. But I wonder if reasons extend back to June 2012...

Anyway, that's one diversion out of many.

HeyJude: You don't even need to try guessing what the context was. It's the most basic logic to note that no specific emails are cited except the one that Mike and others around him have been waving for years as ultimate proof of what happened and why it happened. Has even a single sentence of emails that came before and after that one ever been posted? No. And that's why guessing what was in them is kind of a fool's errand...if context did anything to bolster what Mike's points were in the book, there should have been more offered than a single phrase in a lone email, which people then try to hinge the fate of an entire multi-million dollar tour employing dozens of staff and crew onto.

Context is everything. So where is the context of these emails? We're just supposed to believe that a tour of this magnitude got from Point A to Point Z on the back of the phrase "no more Wilsons".

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: August 08, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »

One interesting point that I believe highlights Mike was much more interested in *exiting* the reunion than under some immediate pressing obligation to book a ton of his own dates quickly is this:

Regarding Mike being required to book his own shows back after C50, it's worth actually looking at his tour schedule for the remainder of 2012 and into 2013.

From September 30, 2012 through the beginning of February 2013, Mike booked...wait for it.... NINE shows across EIGHT venues.

He dumped the reunion tour in order to play these shows:

September 30 - The Legacy Concert for the Children, The Santaluz Club, San Diego, CA
October 5 - Extraco Events Center, Waco, TX  
October 6 - The Backyard, Austin, TX  
October 12 - Beau Rivage, Biloxi, MS
October 13 - Beau Rivage, Biloxi, MS
December 21 - New Orleans Bowl Friday Night Concert, Champion's Square, New Orleans, LA (Free Show)
December 28 - Pike's Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO  
December 31 - Mystic Lake Casino, Prior Lake, MN (2 Shows)

Nothing in November 2012, nothing in January 2013. Only FOUR shows in February 2013. Even assuming maybe he booked a few private/corporate gigs we don't know about, and even taking into account at least three canceled gigs (two in South America, plus the infamous "Nutty Jerry's" gig), I somehow doubt BRI had a requirement that both *forced* Mike to book shows, but then also allowed for such a *light* tour schedule.

This is just my total guess/gut feeling, but it kind of smells like Mike just started booking a hand full of shows to essentially create a plausible reason to say he couldn't do more reunion shows (See? I already have my own shows booked!), and also to start getting his foot back in the door and re-establish his band as the going "Beach Boys" touring concern.

Look at that schedule. THREE shows between mid-October 2012 and February 2013. They could have *easily* booked some year-end reunion gigs to try to cap the whole thing off on better terms (and that's just assuming they still wouldn't continue the reunion on any sort of even semi-permanent basis). As was bandied about some time back, even just one or two year-ending shows at the Staples Center or something could have easily been done.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:13:16 AM by HeyJude » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 08, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »

I didn't remember Mike's tour schedule was that light right after C50; that's quite interesting.

This is just my total guess/gut feeling, but it kind of smells like Mike just started booking a hand full of shows to essentially create a plausible reason to say he couldn't do more reunion shows (See? I already have my own shows booked!), and also to start getting his foot back in the door and re-establish his band as the going "Beach Boys" touring concern.

Yes, this makes so much sense. It explains those oddball bookings in Summer/Fall 2012, and it just seems like what he would logically do.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »

You know, I would love it if the original five surviving members of the group were to sit down together and do an interview specifically about the 2012 tour. Just put it all out in the open. The good, bad, and downright ugly aspects of it, from each individual perspective. If course, we all know it would never happen. But man, that would be one interesting conversation.  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: August 08, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »

I didn't remember Mike's tour schedule was that light right after C50; that's quite interesting.

Yes, this makes so much sense. It explains those oddball bookings in Summer/Fall 2012, and it just seems like what he would logically do.

Spot on

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: August 08, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »

Here's some archival material to consider along with what's already been posted. If some of the links don't work, please point that out so they can be read/seen.

If we're talking about the dates, as in June 1st and then "20 days later" in this comment from "Juice" 'The first was sent June 1, the second email, some 20 days later. Days! Not minutes or hours. If there was no further discussion within that 20 day period, I could see Mike believing that there would indeed be no more shows.'

Consider that Mike first announced the shows in South America during a phone interview while riding on a C50 bus with the newspaper La Tercera which is in Chile.

A rough translation of the original "La Tercera" article which was already shared and circulating in the South American press on June 22, 2012:

"The Beach Boys returns to Santiago in October without Brian Wilson in the group

The band has already closed a deal to be presented at the end of October at Movistar Arena. Despite the reunion tour, they will only be led by another of their history, Mike Love.

The Beach Boys once again puts Chile on its road map. But, just like the previous two, he does it with certain nuances around his past and his present. If the announcements of 2005 -recital that was canceled- and 2011 -for a private event- presented a band that in those days led only two historical members, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, this time the trip will also be with restricted contingent.

The Americans have just closed an upcoming South American tour for the last quarter and have already agreed on a concert for October at Movistar Arena, tentative date for the 26th. It is their first show for all audiences in the country. Of course, and although in December made the meeting and tour of its most important cast official - with Love and Johnston with Al Jardine, David Marks and Brian Wilson - the current reunion tour will not go through Santiago. In concrete terms, the group will only come with Love as a leader and without Wilson, the symbol and brain of Californians.

This is confirmed by Love himself, on the phone with La Tercera from the bus that takes them across North America in his current journey: "Yes, we are planning to go to South America. But those recitals will not be part of the reunion tour. " Consulted if it will be the same show that was offered in November of last year in Espacio Riesco, for a financial services firm, the artist responds with a concise "exact".

One point: the live return of the men of Pet Sounds (1966) marks dates until September in Oceania and England, all with Wilson in the set. Although his cousin, Love, prefers not to delve into the reasons why the soul of The Beach Boys will not be part of some sections of the course, there is room for lucubration. For example, since 1965, Wilson decided to leave the tours with his classmates to concentrate on the masterpieces that would be dispatched during the second part of the 60s. In other times, the singer also resigned on stage due to his problems with drugs and their psychiatric problems. In fact, he has never had much empathy with the respectable: although the reviews of his current tour, which started in April, have been praiseworthy, they have all emphasized that the musician responds to his historical profile and feels distant and distant. The coordinates for your local appointment will become official in the coming days.

And this published June 22 in Peru's "El Comercio" newspaper which was cited in a Guardian article June 27th:

Friday, June 22, 2012 | 13:14
The Beach Boys confirmed a tour of South America
Mike Love, vocalist of the Californian band, announced a visit for the month of October, but without the presence of Brian WilsonThe Beach Boys, the legendary Californian rock band, will visit South America. This was announced by Mike Love, vocalist and composer of the group, in an interview with the Chilean newspaper "La Tercera".

In a telephone conversation with the aforementioned medium, Love clarified that the concerts will not be part of the reunion tour of the band, so it will not be attended by Brian Wilson, perhaps the most emblematic member of the group.

As you remember, The Beach Boys have 50 dates around the world to celebrate their 50th anniversary in music.
"

A link to the original La Tercera article and phone interview: http://diario.latercera.com/edicionimpresa/the-beach-boys-vuelve-a-santiago-en-octubre-sin-brian-wilson-en-el-grupo/

And a cache archive of the June 22, 2012 El Comercio article: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2FdypxK_h1oJ:https://elcomercio.pe/luces/musica/beach-boys-confirmaron-gira-america-sur-noticia-1431754+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

News of the Nutty Jerry's booking was published in a local paper on June 20, 2012:

The Beach Boys Coming to Nutty Jerry's In Winnie October 6
Craig Hlavaty | June 20, 2012 | 2:00pm

If you missed the reunited and augmented Beach Boys a few weeks back in the Woodlands, you will have a second chance to see the band on October 6 out at Nutty Jerry's in Winnie. Yes, it's a long drive, but this tour is worth seeing.

As Rocks Off confirmed from Nutty Jerry's PR, this will in fact be the lineup that was at the Woodlands on June 8. There was some question to whether or not this would be Mike Love's version of the group that tours sans Brian Wilson.

Tickets are available here on the Jerry's site. While you are there, why not snag your America tickets?

Speaking of Wilson, the pop architect turns 70 years old today, so be sure and play Pet Sounds or SMiLE super-loud, or softly, whichever you prefer.

The Beach Boys are touring behind their first new album in decades, That's Why God Made The Radio, and their current setlists have been having upwards of 45 songs on them. In a recent interview with guitarist Al Jardine, he commented that he hopes that the band's dynamic can lend itself to more touring, at least every two years. It looks like they are in fact making a go of it.

In the current issue of Rolling Stone the band talks about their shaky but working relationship on the road and in the studio. Fun fact: Michael McDonald scares the sh*t out of Brian Wilson.

Followed by news of the cancellation and confusion published June 25, 2012:

Beach Boys Not Coming To Nutty Jerry's After All
Craig Hlavaty | June 25, 2012 | 4:30pm

Last week I told you about an upcoming Beach Boys date out in Winnie at Nutty Jerry's. The show sparked my interest since I was still on a B-Boys high from their show in the Woodlands earlier this month, and I was happy that the Houston-area was getting another go-round with the group.

But today the venue issued this press release, effectively cancelling the date:

Due to a misunderstanding with the Beach Boy's management and a local booking agent, the October 6th Beach Boys concert at Nutty Jerry's has been cancelled.

The group that was scheduled to perform at Nutty Jerry's is not the same lineup as the current "Beach Boys 50th Anniversary" tour.

As a result Nutty Jerry's did not feel that we could advertise the show as the "original" Beach Boys. Nutty Jerry's regrets the misunderstanding and any inconvenience to our loyal customers.

The release went on to give information about refunds and also teased another concert announcement for that same October 6 date.

You know what they say about things being too good to be true. For my part, I did confirm with Jerry's front office last week that the band coming to town was the one that played 46 songs at the Woodlands, but as you can see things quickly changed.

The best I can tell is that the version of the Beach Boys that was booked for Nutty's was the Mike Love version which was touring before this year's reunion run, with all surviving members in tow, including Brian Wilson. Once myself and others inquired about the distinction, someone must have figured out the difference and balked.

And now according to Rolling Stone, this is a thing that Love has been doing the whole time during the reunion shows.

This current Beach Boys tour is only listed as far as September 28 at Wembley Stadium.

Link to June 20 2012 article announcing Nutty Jerrys gig: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/the-beach-boys-coming-to-nutty-jerrys-in-winnie-october-6-6500272

Link to June 25 2012 article canceling Nutty Jerrys gig: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/beach-boys-not-coming-to-nutty-jerrys-after-all-6777328

By June 27, other media had picked up these stories and had begun reporting about Mike booking gigs while touring as C50.

That's just to put more information from June 2012 on the table as these stories broke and people found out about them via the press reports linked above.

The key is still the context of the "smoking gun" email, as in what was sent before and what was sent after.

But it is also worth noting that in one of the South American newspapers, as of June 21-22 2012, the tour was still reported as 50 shows. Which was the original plan, until it was extended due to demand.

So when exactly was it extended, or when was the decision made to extend it? Because if by June 22nd a news report in South America still had it as 50 shows, either they were late to get the updates (if there were any), or the so-called "set end date" wasn't quite set in stone when Mike announced the booking of shows in South America for October on a phone interview to South America while riding on the C50 bus.

If it fits, it fits. If not, well...let the discussions begin. But context is key if the whole shebang is pinned on an email from June, and this is just some context after the fact.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:51:59 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx