gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:51:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180593 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »

Although I stand to be corrected, Mike has over the years stated he hasn’t listened to Brian’s albums, didn’t read his biography, nor watched L&M. If I was Brian I wouldn’t have worn his crappy shirt either.

Absolutely! Roll Eyes Additionally, and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I honestly hope myKe luHv never gets the opportunity to ever work with, write with, nor perform with Brian ever again. This jackass had his chance but because everything had to be on his terms, it fortunately didn't happen and walked away from C50. He does not deserve to be associated with Brian in the least and I hope that d'bag eats his heart out from now until his dying day.
How sad that such obvious hatred and toxicity can pass by on this board without being dealt with. *sigh*

He has his reasons, some of which you already know especially in regards to the reunion.

Now I will defend Mike’s talent pre Kokomo til the end of time but you gotta remember OSD has been a fan of the band pretty much since day one and has had much first hand experience.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2018, 09:00:11 PM »

Although I stand to be corrected, Mike has over the years stated he hasn’t listened to Brian’s albums, didn’t read his biography, nor watched L&M. If I was Brian I wouldn’t have worn his crappy shirt either.

Absolutely! Roll Eyes Additionally, and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I honestly hope myKe luHv never gets the opportunity to ever work with, write with, nor perform with Brian ever again. This jackass had his chance but because everything had to be on his terms, it fortunately didn't happen and walked away from C50. He does not deserve to be associated with Brian in the least and I hope that d'bag eats his heart out from now until his dying day.
How sad that such obvious hatred and toxicity can pass by on this board without being dealt with. *sigh*

He has his reasons, some of which you already know especially in regards to the reunion.

Now I will defend Mike’s talent pre Kokomo til the end of time but you gotta remember OSD has been a fan of the band pretty much since day one and has had much first hand experience.
I could have worded the post a bit differently. It was a bit more hostile then I meant it in my head. I just think there is a difference between criticizing a person, and being downright hateful. I'm going to say right now publicly that I have nothing against him as a person. I just think that an occasional post slips by when it shouldn't.

I do realise that OSD in a long time fan. But should that matter? We are all Beach Boys fans here. Some older than others. But we all love the same band.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »

Oh yeah true. I watch posts like that closely and if it were to cross a line I’d handle it and have done so in the past.. these are valid criticisms in regards to not wanting another reunion to happen because of the way love handled his end at the very end, which you know was f***ed up. He’s basically saying he doesn’t want them to reunite. I actually do want them to IF certain things are hashed out. So this was a valid criticism , even if I don’t entirely agree.

As far as being a long term fan his opinion on Mike is based on experience that lasted a lot longer than either one of ours.  It’s not that his opinion is more important it just is based more on experience than ours

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2018, 04:33:45 AM »

I love this... the most exciting music newsbit for me and many others here is five old guys sitting in chairs somewhere, not even singing a note :D. <3 the Beach Boys!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 06, 2018, 06:30:28 AM »

Do we know what time this will air on the 10th?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: August 06, 2018, 06:56:47 AM »

Uggh, I don’t want to prolong the shirts discussion, but I don’t see David Marks’s post as really contradicting much of what people have been saying.

Yes, if someone was arguing an elaborate conspiracy theory or something, Dave’s post seems to reinforce that, from his point of view, the whole thing was fun and the clothing issue is not even an issue. I’m glad to see his post and see the event from his point of view as he described it. Would *love* to see recounting from all the guys. Yeah, even Bruce I guess.

But Dave’s post doesn’t contradict the main (read: simple) points that were made.

Dave mentioned that, on his end, no delineation of “camps” was intended or expressed based on their shirts. Fair enough, and in my previous posts I always conceded that I highly doubted there was some nefarious motive involved in wearing the shirts.

What Dave doesn’t even address is his post is how the shirts issue *appeared.* And again, while I don’t like to be cynical and assume the worst, I’ve been a student and fan of this band and its history for DECADES and DECADES, and *whatever the actual motives*, you simply cannot argue that the two current “camps”, who have been at odds in very specific, measurable ways, showing up in obviously clashing “uniforms” does not *appear* to underline that divide. And to Dave’s credit, it doesn’t appear he speaks to what the *appearance* was to outsiders or the media or fans. I’m not a big fan of all fan commentary that isn’t glowing to be lumped together as “silly” and whatnot, but whatever.

Dave does say Reiner was “pro” matching shirts. I’m happy to just disagree with Reiner there. Three matching shirts and two that don’t result in two major media outlets pointing out how the mis-match was emblematic (even if inadvertently so) of the ongoing divide between camps. Five matching shirts would have avoided that, and would have made them look like total dorks. Again, just my opinion. Rob Reiner is a fine guy, I have no problem with him. But he’s not a PR or image consult for BRI, and whomever normally *would* be serving that function was, I’m guessing, simply hoping all five guys would show up and be in the same room, even if Mike wore a garbage bag and Al showed up in his pajamas. All totally understandable.

Dave confirms in fact what most suspected; Mike showed up and gave Dave the shirt as a gift. Dave doesn’t mention that they’re Mike Love signature shirts, and for all I know he didn’t and/or doesn’t know. I’m all for Dave wearing whatever he wants; I dig that he just wore a shirt and doesn’t give a s**t about the politics. It’s the same reason he toured with Brian, and then showed up at the Mike Ella gala, and then probably not coincidentally was not invited on the next subsequent tour (and yes, I know Al did the Ella thing and then continued with Brian, but that involved some musical chairs and politics for another time).

He calls them “Robert Graham” shirts, which I think is burying the headline a bit that they’re part of a “Mike Love” line of Graham shirts.

Dave views the shirts as a kind gift, and I love that he tackles that issue with positivity. It does indeed require some cynicism (albeit cynicism fueled by being realistic about the band and its history) to point out that, at best, bringing a gift of your own signature line of shirts is arguably a little tacky (and the shirts were probably comped), and at worst, well, something a bit more cynical or passive aggressive on Mike’s part. And let’s be clear, Dave doesn’t know what Mike’s motives were either. He doesn’t know *all* of them anyway, he’s happy to take it on face value and see the motive as Mike giving a nice gift. Which I think is totally his prerogative.

What if Brian had showed up with five “Love & Mercy” shirts? Would Mike have worn that? And if he hadn’t, would it have been out of line to say group politics could have at least tangentially been involved? I don’t think so.

But in any event, the idea that Dave’s statement is some sort of smoking gun that should bring an end to discussion of the “shirts” is silly. Dave took the shirt as a gift (which we all guessed was the case), doesn’t care what the “optics” of the clashing shirts indicated (which is cool for him, but doesn’t negate what those optics actually are or could be), and apparently doesn’t definitively actually know how or why Brian or Al didn’t end up wearing the shirts. He speculates Brian not easily moving around the building and Al showing up late may have been an issue. But frankly, whatever did go down, I don’t think Brian and Al would have worn those shirts, for a number of reasons. Understandable reasons in fact. If Brian or Al end up giving an interview and saying “oh yeah, I totally would have worn Mike’s signature shirt, I just didn’t get there in time” or something like that, then I’ll buy it. Otherwise, I have no problem and don’t blame  *anyone* in the equation for the concept that maybe they wouldn’t have wanted to wear the shirts.

One always has to remember that Dave not being directly embroiled in 40+ years of BRI politics means he has the benefit of being able to be the free-floater who is friendly with all camps. Heck, he even does side gigs with Al. But what it also means is that he either chooses (for his own sanity) or isn’t deeply entrenched in those politics. There’s a reason Dave gets along with everybody and some of the other guys don’t. And it isn’t *all* because Dave is a cool guy (though that’s certainly one reason). He doesn’t have the shared history that Brian, Mike, and Al (and to a lesser degree Bruce) have of lawsuits, political back-biting, airport tarmac showdowns, conservatorship hearings, more lawsuits, fighting over money, drug blow-ups in Australia, bad real estate deals, 37 managers, and the list goes on and on. That’s not to say Dave doesn’t have some residual political/financial stuff to do with the band. But there’s a reason you don’t see David Marks mentioned a ton in Steven Gaines’ “Heroes and Villains” book; he wasn’t there or involved for those 10,000 clusterf**ks over the years. As indicated in his book, he had his *own* struggles, but some bad thing that happened to him in 1981 doesn’t have anything to do (typically) with the other Beach Boys. Not necessarily so for the other guys.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: August 06, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »

My point being, Mike gave it to the other side on a number of issues; the backing band was mostly Brian's; the album was mostly Brian's songs, Brian's producer, Brian's musicians. Was that not enough for the Mike haters? Maybe he should have agreed to NOT be a part of the reunion, just like Brian, Al, David and Bruce go out as the Beach Boys without Satan, because, as we know, that's who Mike Love really is.

I think this is overstating Mike's concessions a bit.

First of all, Mike got 4/7 of his then-current touring band into the C50 band, and a fifth member (Bonhomme) as tour manager. So 5/7 of his own band made it into the C50 band. More importantly, one his guys (Totten) was co-musical director. And it certainly appeared that Mertens was more on the arrangement/musician side as far as being a co-director, with Totten often if not usually *leading* the entire band on stage for rehearsals/soundchecks.

Mostly Brian's songs on the album? Mike wrote or co-wrote 1/3 of the album: Four Tracks. How many co-writes did Al get? Oh yeah, zero.

It also should be noted that Mike signed on to the entire reunion project knowing there was limited time to get the album done, and he also had to be aware that Brian and Joe Thomas had done the work of securing a record deal with Capitol, and did so by presenting them with Brian/Joe songs. That's what *Capitol* wanted. That's what Capitol wanted at the front end of the project, and then when they recorded more than 12 songs, it was Capitol who chose the 12 (Bruce has mentioned this).

Several of Mike's musicians are on the album as well, and on the tracks where they aren't, Brian's musicians aren't all over those tracks either, because they were backing tracks cut in Nashville with session guys (Chad Cromwell, etc.). Again, it's probably a good think they had some backing tracks already in the can so that they were able to finish the album before the tour started (though the album weirdly came out a MONTH into the tour).

Mike absolutely did sacrifice for the C50 tour, and until he blew it up at the end, he was a major HERO of the tour. Anybody who knew anything about how his touring setup had been working could easily guess that for C50, he was probably making less per gig than he would be on his own with the way it was set up. Now, the other guys also made concessions (Brian ceding a pretty good amount of control to Mike over the setlist, allowing Mike's guy to be co-musical director, and Al pretty much not getting a say in much of anything other than getting "California Saga" into the setlist for a couple months on and off).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:02 AM »

Caveat: the C50 tour wouldn’t have sounded as good without Scott Totten and John Cowsill ( and would’ve sounded better with Christian Love rather than Foskett)

I think it was Howie Edelson who, in the midst of our discussion back in 2014 about Foskett being arguably "poached" from Brian's band (and the same arguably done with "Ike" the following year), rightly pointed out that maybe Brian should have poached Totten and Cowsill for *his* band!

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 06, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »

What if Brian had showed up with five “Love & Mercy” shirts? Would Mike have worn that? And if he hadn’t, would it have been out of line to say group politics could have at least tangentially been involved? I don’t think so.

Sorry to single out this one point, but I've seen this analogy numerous times now and I think it's off-base. This was a Beach Boys reunion. What's the main characteristic of Mike's signature shirt? Yep, the blue and white stripes. Compare that to a "Love & Mercy" shirt or any other Brian solo shirt that has nothing to do with the Beach Boys. I agree that Dave's comments and Mary Ann Jardine's comments don't silence all such commentary (e.g. the mismatched appearance), but Mike's shirts aren't all that out of place at a Beach Boys reunion. Certainly not to the same extent a "Love & Mercy" shirt would be. It's not like Mike brought in "Unleash The Love" shirts for everyone to wear at a Beach Boys reunion. My thoughts on the entire shirt fiasco is, yes, it's the first thing I noticed when I looked at the group photo. It certainly deserved a mention and a discussion. Still, I consider it a footnote. That seems to be the perspective of those involved (that we've heard from).

Every wave is new until it breaks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:29 AM »

Caveat: the C50 tour wouldn’t have sounded as good without Scott Totten and John Cowsill ( and would’ve sounded better with Christian Love rather than Foskett)

I definitely can’t disagree there! John is a beast on drums and was a highlight of the tour, as was Scott singing Ballad of Ol Betsy that was arguably better than the original!
I think it was Howie Edelson who, in the midst of our discussion back in 2014 about Foskett being arguably "poached" from Brian's band (and the same arguably done with "Ike" the following year), rightly pointed out that maybe Brian should have poached Totten and Cowsill for *his* band!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 06, 2018, 10:02:39 AM »

Sorry to single out this one point, but I've seen this analogy numerous times now and I think it's off-base. This was a Beach Boys reunion. What's the main characteristic of Mike's signature shirt? Yep, the blue and white stripes. Compare that to a "Love & Mercy" shirt or any other Brian solo shirt that has nothing to do with the Beach Boys. I agree that Dave's comments and Mary Ann Jardine's comments don't silence all such commentary (e.g. the mismatched appearance), but Mike's shirts aren't all that out of place at a Beach Boys reunion. Certainly not to the same extent a "Love & Mercy" shirt would be. It's not like Mike brought in "Unleash The Love" shirts for everyone to wear at a Beach Boys reunion. My thoughts on the entire shirt fiasco is, yes, it's the first thing I noticed when I looked at the group photo. It certainly deserved a mention and a discussion. Still, I consider it a footnote. That seems to be the perspective of those involved (that we've heard from).

It may not be a shirt with "Love and Mercy" written in giant letters, but it's still very much a "Mike Love" shirt being that his face (and only his face) is stitched into the shirt. In particular: being as it has certainly been a undeniably "touchy" aspect throughout recent years with regards to who is in the "BBs" band... these shirts are basically the statement MIKE LOVE IS THE BEACH BOYS in shirt form (what "band" t-shirts only have 1 member on them??)... and especially after Brian and Al felt pushed out of the band not so very long ago, it just feels tacky for the guy who pushed them out of the band (or if people want to get technical, the guy who made them feel like they were pushed out of the band) to bring those recently pushed-out guys shirts as gifts to wear at a reunion activity.

I'm glad David and Mary Ann are seeing things in a nice light, and I applaud them for just trying to make peace and at least publicly try to smooth things out. Truthfully, and I mean this very sincerely, I'm not trying to sh*t on their thoughts, nor the reunion, just by having my own opinion. I'm glad they don't see any deeper meaning. It doesn't mean that in the light of the history of the band, that the appearance (as HeyJude pointed out) isn't nevertheless just a bit off-putting for many fans (and publications) in light of the highly negative and egregiously inflammatory things that Mike has said about any number of Brian projects that "excluded" Mike.

Does a Beach Boys shirt with only Mike's face on it not somehow exclude Brian too? This may sound like a funny conversation, and it sort of is of course... but still, how is that comparison off-base? There's some truth in it.  If Mike didn't repeatedly say such negative stuff about "Brian content" countless times, this conversation would probably not exist. This is a shirt by the guy who made the biggest friggin' deal in the world in interviews, over and over and over and over again, about how it was SUCH a terrible and insulting thing for him (Mike) to not be completely included in aspects of the band in a manner that he (Mike) saw fit during the last reunion. So yeah, Mike wants everyone to cry a river that he did was not properly included as he should have been, and that TWGMTR was too Brian-centric (leaving out Mike), but then it's fine for Mike to expect Brian to wear a Mike shirt that takes the iconic brand fashion imagery and puts only Mike's face on it.

I think some people are simply bugged at Mike's inconsistency of what he has historically, repeatedly gotten publicly outraged at, when they see his actions. There's really nothing much more to it than that.

There's noooo doubt in my mind that if Brian had done the same thing (let's say Brian had a line of Brian Wilson striped shirts with only Brian's face taken from a 1960s Beach Boys photo, and asked Mike to wear it), that Mike would've have found a way (either right then and there, or years down the line) to make a big public hissy fit about being slighted, and to complain about Brian (or Melinda) having the chutzpah to expect Mike wear a Brian Wilson solo shirt to a Beach Boys reunion.

Honestly, anyone defending Mike in this discussion, please refute this. I'll expect crickets, just as JuiceBronston ducked out of my prior line of questioning.

Side note: if Reiner was “pro” matching shirts, that would surely mean Reiner wanted everyone to have matching shirts (or no one); I'm sure that if the "idea" of the band wearing matching shirts was mentioned to Reiner, that it would seem like a potentially nice idea on the surface, but no way in hell Reiner was somehow pushing for the idea of some members wearing matching shirts and some not.  Nobody in their right mind would think that was an ideal situation.

Also - none of this means that more great reunion activities are "tarnished", and I wish the band collective good vibrations from here on out.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:39:11 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: August 06, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »

The "Love and Mercy" analogy isn't perfect, but I think we're not looking at precisely the same thing. I wouldn't call striped shirts "out of place" at a BB event. I might say it's tacky or goofy or not the ideal projected image if you're trying to move the band away from mostly oldies radio and the AARP crowd, etc. But they're not out of place.

I haven't been speaking so much to the *justification* for striped shirts in general being worn. Indeed, they've randomly worn them over the years (both as a nod to the past as Al did at that 20th anniversary gig in 1980, and I guess just because it's in their closet?).

I'm speaking more to the seemingly incredulous expectation that Brian and Al would want to wear Mike Love-branded shirts. I'm not even saying whether they should or not, or whether they would want to or not. I'm simply saying it's not out of line to say it's quite possible that Brian and/or Al wouldn't want to wear Mike Love's signature line of clothes for a BUNCH of reasons. Mostly to do with the Love-centric nature of the shirts, and perhaps secondarily as a general image/style/taste/preference issue as well.

I don't think it's out of line to say that either or both of the following are true: Mike was oblivious to the issues that might arise out of bringing his signature line of striped shirts to such an event (e.g. some might think they look like dorks, all matching shirts might look dorky, three wearing them and two not would look weird, etc.), and/or bringing the shirts and offering them to Brian and Al (*if* they were offered) was a possibly passive aggressive move in the same way that Brian gets invited to Mike's surprise birthday parties only for Mike to *lament* Brian not showing up on Facebook. Yes, I'm suggesting it's *possible* (and I stress only possible) that Mike brought his shirts to this thing and offered them to Brian and Al knowing Brian wouldn't want to wear Mike's line of clothes. Same with Al. Remember, Al is a guy who has been legally harangued on and off for nearly 20 years for how he calls himself a "Beach Boy." Brian was SUED for a freebie CD that used a pic of the Beach Boys. So maybe, while Mike's shirts are no doubt (I can only assume) totally free of any trademark issues, they might not be so enthusiastic about wearing something where Mike is absolutely cashing in on the BB image.

That being said, maybe also it would have nothing to do with the Mike Love signature nature of the items, and maybe Brian and Al don't want or need someone else picking their clothes. Especially for a largely *radio* event. I mean, my personal take is that those shirts don't look like super-duper comfortable, especially in a casual event on a stage under lights, etc.

Backing up, I think your sentence near the end is accurate: The "first thing jumping to our minds" thing when seeing the pics of the mismatched shirts is really the main area where it deserves a mention. But, as is often the case on these boards, that simple observation is met with a weird level of incredulity, some folks saying "they're just shirts" and claiming there is ZERO in those pics as far as imagery loaded with band politics. So then those that see the OBVIOUS connotation implied with the pics are forced to counter, and so on and so on.

At least, for me, the incredulity (e.g. "I don't see ANYTHING weird about those pics" or "No, Jeff Foskett leaving Brian's band and Mike's band isn't loaded with any politics at all!") is the problem, at least when we're talking amongst relatively knowledgeable fans who know the band's history. I'm willing to not immediately be 100% cynical. But that means the "thumbs aloft" fans that say "three touring bands are better than one!" need to also face some realities with this band as well.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:21:19 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 06, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

My point being, Mike gave it to the other side on a number of issues; the backing band was mostly Brian's; the album was mostly Brian's songs, Brian's producer, Brian's musicians. Was that not enough for the Mike haters? Maybe he should have agreed to NOT be a part of the reunion, just like Brian, Al, David and Bruce go out as the Beach Boys without Satan, because, as we know, that's who Mike Love really is.

I think this is overstating Mike's concessions a bit.

First of all, Mike got 4/7 of his then-current touring band into the C50 band, and a fifth member (Bonhomme) as tour manager. So 5/7 of his own band made it into the C50 band. More importantly, one his guys (Totten) was co-musical director. And it certainly appeared that Mertens was more on the arrangement/musician side as far as being a co-director, with Totten often if not usually *leading* the entire band on stage for rehearsals/soundchecks.

Mostly Brian's songs on the album? Mike wrote or co-wrote 1/3 of the album: Four Tracks. How many co-writes did Al get? Oh yeah, zero.

It also should be noted that Mike signed on to the entire reunion project knowing there was limited time to get the album done, and he also had to be aware that Brian and Joe Thomas had done the work of securing a record deal with Capitol, and did so by presenting them with Brian/Joe songs. That's what *Capitol* wanted. That's what Capitol wanted at the front end of the project, and then when they recorded more than 12 songs, it was Capitol who chose the 12 (Bruce has mentioned this).

Several of Mike's musicians are on the album as well, and on the tracks where they aren't, Brian's musicians aren't all over those tracks either, because they were backing tracks cut in Nashville with session guys (Chad Cromwell, etc.). Again, it's probably a good think they had some backing tracks already in the can so that they were able to finish the album before the tour started (though the album weirdly came out a MONTH into the tour).

Mike absolutely did sacrifice for the C50 tour, and until he blew it up at the end, he was a major HERO of the tour. Anybody who knew anything about how his touring setup had been working could easily guess that for C50, he was probably making less per gig than he would be on his own with the way it was set up. Now, the other guys also made concessions (Brian ceding a pretty good amount of control to Mike over the setlist, allowing Mike's guy to be co-musical director, and Al pretty much not getting a say in much of anything other than getting "California Saga" into the setlist for a couple months on and off).
Thank you - it's nice to have some balance here, something that gets lost here usually because of the hatred for Mike Love.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: August 06, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »

The funny thing about how I've been known to harp on how tragic the crumbling of C50 is, is that that implicit in what I say is that Mike is integral. If I didn't care about Mike or didn't firmly feel that the "whole is greater than the sum..., etc.", then I would have been happy to see Brian go back to his own thing, especially with Al added.

But, even today, assuming everybody wanted to be there, having all of those guys together is the preference, no question.

Now, the realities of the situation in recent years have dictated that, given Mike's negativity, it's undoubtedly better for Brian to be touring and generally creating around and with people who *don't* have a grudge against Brian (or Melinda, or Al, or whatever). And, while the end of C50 was something hastened and fate sealed by Mike, it's undoubtedly better for him to be doing whatever it is he wants to do (e.g. not having to answer to anybody in his day-to-day job).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: August 06, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »

5PM ET/PT, and I'm not sure if that means west coast gets it at 5pm or 2pm. Do they really run two feeds?

Either way, one-off stuff like this is often archived and able to be played back via the app later on.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 06, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »

" ... you gotta remember OSD has been a fan of the band pretty much since day one and has had much first hand experience."

BFD. So have I. Just because someone has been a long time fan of the band does that mean that individual has free reign to pollute the Smiley Smile board with incessant hate filled posts? Not to mention that such posts reduce the level of discourse on the board since they often come across like they were written by an eight year old.

Here's Board Rule #2: "Debate is fine; when it crosses into personal attacks, it becomes a different matter."

I'm all for debate, and over the years Mr. Love has certainly been deserving of reasoned criticism, but I don't understand why these non-stop toxic posts are tolerated.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 06, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »

5PM ET/PT, and I'm not sure if that means west coast gets it at 5pm or 2pm. Do they really run two feeds?

Either way, one-off stuff like this is often archived and able to be played back via the app later on.

Thanks!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »

" ... you gotta remember OSD has been a fan of the band pretty much since day one and has had much first hand experience."

BFD. So have I. Just because someone has been a long time fan of the band does that mean that individual has free reign to pollute the Smiley Smile board with incessant hate filled posts? Not to mention that such posts reduce the level of discourse on the board since they often come across like they were written by an eight year old.

Here's Board Rule #2: "Debate is fine; when it crosses into personal attacks, it becomes a different matter."

I'm all for debate, and over the years Mr. Love has certainly been deserving of reasoned criticism, but I don't understand why these non-stop toxic posts are tolerated.

I interpret rule 2. as “personal attacks against fellow posters” more than personal attacks against the band members. Especially since a former board moderator has made hateful comments about Brian Wilson while he was still a moderator.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: August 06, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »

That is how it is meant to be...however there is a limit and certain things are off limits. There has been action taken in the past if that line is crossed. This didn’t hit that, much like that baseless comment about Brian made by another person in another post.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »

Hmmm, did you just somewhat violate rule #2?? Sounds like a personal attack to me but no big deal. Fortunately, at this board, we're still permitted to post our opinion on topics which is what message boards are all about. The other good thing is that if, as you say, you're somehow offended, I believe you have the option of ignoring my posts from now on. But remember one thing-I did not insult you as you did me. Furthermore, I have always championed the band and there were many years when it was not such a cool thing to do. If I come down heavy handed on the luvster, it's because of his abhorrent behavior not only to Brian and Dennis, Al, and yes Carl as well, but what he's done to totally water down the BB legacy and attempt to launch his accomplishments as being more essential than Brian Wilson's and that's not going to stand while I'm breathing. He may be a multi millionaire and that's fine but anyone with half a brain knows that without his cousin, he would not be where he is today and it's about time he showed a bit of humility toward that fact.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:17:30 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 06, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »

Good gravy already, the whole Mike ended C50 thing is bogus. BRIAN 'S WIFE ended it with the "no more Wilson dates" email: that is a fact.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »

Hmmm, did you just somewhat violate rule #2?? Sounds like a personal attack to me but no big deal. Fortunately, at this board, we're still permitted to post our opinion on topics which is what message boards are all about. The other good thing is that if, as you say, you're somehow offended, I believe you have the option of ignoring my posts from now on. But remember one thing-I did not insult you as you did me. Furthermore, I have always championed the band and there were many years when it was not such a cool thing to do. If I come down heavy handed on the luvster, it's because of his abhorrent behavior not only to Brian and Dennis, Al, and yes Carl as well, but what he's done to totally water down the BB legacy and attempt to launch his accomplishments as being more essential than Brian Wilson's and that's not going to stand while I'm breathing. He may be a multi millionaire and that's fine but anyone with half a brain knows that without his cousin, he would not be where he is today and it's about time he showed a bit of humility toward that fact.  

In the past I have avoided responding directly to any of your posts since your comments typically fall into trolling territory, and it’s not good board etiquette to feed a troll.

At least you’ve cut back on the frequency of those idiotic woots.

Like you, I defended and promoted the band through the lean years, and as you did I purchased Sunflower when it was first released, back when most people wouldn’t even bother to give it a listen because wasn’t cool to like the Beach Boys.

But concerning your posts - I don’t get it. Just about every damn time Mike Love is mentioned in someone’s post, you feel compelled to pollute the board with hateful comments about Mr. Love, and it’s really getting old, man. Did he f*** your girlfriend or wife? If so, my condolences, but it’s time to get over it. Otherwise, how about responding to a post mentioning Mr. Love only when you can offer an intelligent response mentioning a specific transgression of Mr. Love's that relates to the topic under discussion.

And, for a change of pace, since you’ve been a fan since day one, one would think you might have some worthwhile comments to offer on issues not involving Mr. Love. As it is, your fixation with and apparent need to constantly comment on Mr. Love comes across as bizarre, to put it mildly.

In summary — it’s time for you to meditate!

Oops, sorry, lost my head!

But seriously, at least take a chill pill and calm down.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: August 06, 2018, 09:58:57 PM »

Actually I would like to read some of the stories about the shows you went to back in day (in a different thread) I would’ve liked seeing them around the 20/20 era; there are videos posted on YouTube and I’ve been watching a lot of them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:59:40 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

MsBecca
« Reply #398 on: August 06, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »

Good gravy already, the whole Mike ended C50 thing is bogus. BRIAN 'S WIFE ended it with the "no more Wilson dates" email: that is a fact.

I see that coming up a lot. Has anybody actually seen the email or is it bard completely on hearsay?

Anyway I am looking forward to hearing this broadcast. I am on vacation so I will be able to hear it with no problem whatsoever. This year seems to be turning to be quite the year in the Beach Boy universe and I am so exited!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 06, 2018, 11:32:23 PM »

Agreed on all point, but specifically the fact that much of said messages from the individual in question are in fact against board rules. I backpedaled a bit the other day to keep things peaceful, but I do have to agree with you. 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx