gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:26:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180530 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »

Glad to see David set the record straight about the shirts over on Facebook.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2018, 09:07:20 PM »

Me too. Yeah it did look off but Dave is a straight shooter from everything I’ve heard so as far I’m concerned, case closed.

Edit

For those who don’t have David on Facebook... basically the shirts were a gift, dressing room was upstairs and not easily accessible to Brian, and  Al got there late. Reiner had wanted everyone to match .

So that’s that. I admit I got wrapped up in the furor too but I have no issue admitting I was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:14:32 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2018, 09:16:06 PM »

Yup everyone got shirts . Brian and Al didn’t wear them for reasons Dave wasn’t sure of . I also learned that Dave will definitely be with Mikes band for any future appearances he chooses to make .
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »

Actually he said he would be happy to join Mike anytime, and he “can’t speak for the others”

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 03, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »

I read that Al said he hopes this leads to bigger and better things. Brian seems to have not ruled out working with Mike. Interesting.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »

Stranger things have happened...

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »

The Pet Sounds final tour started in March 2016 and is still going. I still think it would be great to sign that off with a few Beach Boys performances.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2018, 12:12:35 AM »

As this is what David says, I'll stand corrected.  I would really love to have my first instinct be to feel that there's no weird motives, but many historical incidents and decades of ugly quotes have made it hard for me to gravitate towards that being my initial line of thinking.  Maybe they really will put bad stuff behind them this time. I'd be shocked, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised; truly I just want them to be happy and decent to each other firstly... and then, hopefully make great music.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 04, 2018, 02:29:22 AM »

Here's David's full post :

I am now settling into our hotel in Spain and catching up on all the comments from my last post. I‘m blown away by all the love, thank you! You really know how to make a guy feel good.

I heard about some of the less than positive things (not on my page, thankfully) about last Monday’s reunion that I thought were pretty silly and wanted to address them while on the subject of gossip and blowing things out of proportion.

For the record: Mike and Jacquelyne Love were kind enough to bring us each our own Robert Graham signature shirt as gifts. It was nothing more than that, a gift. I chose to wear mine because it was a thoughtful gesture from the Love’s - and Rob Reiner was pro matching shirts. I can’t speak for the others, but the dressing room was upstairs and not easily accessible for Brian, and Al was running late. It’s not a conspiracy nor was it a statement about “teams.”

On Monday we were one team, THE BEACH BOYS.

That said, I am happy to suit up in a stripped shirt and join Mike onstage anytime. (But not until September, I’m going to enjoy a much-needed month in Europe with my Lion mask first. 😊)
jawilsh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 04, 2018, 02:41:28 AM »

Personally, the thought has never occurred to me. Al was going to stick with Brian. Bringing Blondie in was a cool move, especially when it makes sense to divvy up the vocals in that band. Dave seems to move around pretty freely.

You really saw nothing political about Brian, who pre-C50 had been touring *on his own*, had only done about a dozen dates in 2006/07 with Al that, supposedly, didn't end too well, and had never toured with Dave or Blondie, all of a sudden in 2013 taking *three to four* Beach Boys out on tour?

If some fans want to keep the blinders on about any of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, that's totally one's prerogative. But then you're probably going to meet a lot of confusion and corrections from other fans/experts if you remain incredulous but insist on actually delving into the topic of political maneuvering and band names and band lineups and all of that.

Do you also think there was nothing political about Dennis's 1977 "Pacific Ocean Blue" tour being kiboshed?

Do you think there was nothing political about a big hunk of the touring band being let go in 1977/78?

Do you think there was nothing political about BRI supposedly sending people to Al's gigs in 1999 "searching" for fans who were "confused"?

Do you think it's a total coincidence during the band's 1980 Good Morning America interview that some of the other members look like they want to either strangle Dennis or run away as far as possible?

Do you think there was anything political about Jeff Foskett leaving the touring band in 1990, or do you just think it was a normal case of moving on to something else? Oh yeah, that's right, Foskett himself in the mid-90s gave an interview explaining in stunning detail why he was let go from the band.

I'm all for taking a step back and not immediately thinking the worst of these guys or jumping to elaborate theories. But it's also silly to assume there's no context to anything to do with this band's history outside of what they choose to say or not say publically.

Honestly, no. Maybe I think more of Brian and Al then you do, but I think the real motivation was that they were stoked about C50 and wanted to keep going, so they primarily were motivated by wanting to play together. I don't think the deciding factor was, let's stick it to Mike. "I'd rather be at the Deli, AL, but I'll suck it up and do 80 shows, just to piss Mike off"

No blinders here, I love a salacious gossipy tale of backstabbing and revenge. And several of the events you go on to itemize surely had those qualities.

What I wanted to know was what proof you had to say Absolutely, that Jeff going over to Mike's band was a FU to Brian. Ya didn't have any. That's ok. I was just curious to hear it if it existed.

BTW it's been a while since I read the interview about Jeff leaving back in the day..but I seem to remember it was brutally honest and not real sugar coated, which might leave me to believe him when he discussed his departure from Brian's group.

Can someone provide a link to Jeff’s interview?

It's the second return when you Google search "Jeffrey Foskett":

https://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/music/2014/09/22/beach-boys-brian-wilson-jeffrey-foskett/16070181/

Not sure, but I think the previous poster may have been looking for a link to the 90s Foskett interview, which requires more digging but can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990221115314/http://www.new-surf.com/interv.html

The interview seems to have been done around 1998 after "Imagination" was released, but before Foskett rejoined Brian. This would have been when Foskett was still full-time with Papa Doo Run Run (my recollection is that he stayed part time with them for a little while after beginning working with Brian in 1999, but I'm not sure when or if he fully left Papa Doo Run Run). And as I mentioned previously, I appreciate Foskett's honesty in this circa 1998 interview. Some pertinent parts concerning his 1990 departure:

AMP: One last Beach Boys question…why did you leave in 1990?

FOSKETT: I was asked to leave by Michael and Carl. I know that during the past several months there has been some discussion over the internet on my departure, and I will set the record straight now. I was having an affair outside my marriage that was causing a great deal of turmoil in the closely-knit BB organization. All the wives traveled on the road at one time or another, and seeing me with someone other than my wife made them suspicious of their husbands. Not a good scene. My ego was way out of control. I think Michael thought that I was holding back money from the side gigs that he and I did with the Endless Summer Beach Band, and so he was unhappy about that, and Carl was unhappy with my ego and my affair. They did the right thing by letting me go; right for them and definitely right for me. I needed to straighten up and get back into "the real world." I did, and my wife and I will soon be celebrating our 11th anniversary.

AMP: Jeff, I appreciate your honesty…

FOSKETT: John, there have been so many contrived stories regarding me using Platinum American Express cards and other false statements that I am happy to tell the truth. There are so many "authorities" on the internet that really know absolutely nothing!

That was the one!  Thanks!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: August 04, 2018, 03:56:56 AM »

I think these pictures weren't posted before, if they were, please excuse me. They were shared on facebook by the Beach Boys' account and seem to come from Mike's site.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 04, 2018, 05:15:26 AM »

Me too. Yeah it did look off but Dave is a straight shooter from everything I’ve heard so as far I’m concerned, case closed.

Edit

For those who don’t have David on Facebook... basically the shirts were a gift, dressing room was upstairs and not easily accessible to Brian, and  Al got there late. Reiner had wanted everyone to match .

So that’s that. I admit I got wrapped up in the furor too but I have no issue admitting I was wrong.

I saw that too. Here is the relevant part of David’s post.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 04, 2018, 07:07:29 AM »

Although I stand to be corrected, Mike has over the years stated he hasn’t listened to Brian’s albums, didn’t read his biography, nor watched L&M. If I was Brian I wouldn’t have worn his crappy shirt either.

Absolutely! Roll Eyes Additionally, and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I honestly hope myKe luHv never gets the opportunity to ever work with, write with, nor perform with Brian ever again. This jackass had his chance but because everything had to be on his terms, it fortunately didn't happen and walked away from C50. He does not deserve to be associated with Brian in the least and I hope that d'bag eats his heart out from now until his dying day.
BW was over the Striped shirts by 1965...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 04, 2018, 08:20:45 AM »

Although I stand to be corrected, Mike has over the years stated he hasn’t listened to Brian’s albums, didn’t read his biography, nor watched L&M. If I was Brian I wouldn’t have worn his crappy shirt either.

Absolutely! Roll Eyes Additionally, and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I honestly hope myKe luHv never gets the opportunity to ever work with, write with, nor perform with Brian ever again. This jackass had his chance but because everything had to be on his terms, it fortunately didn't happen and walked away from C50. He does not deserve to be associated with Brian in the least and I hope that d'bag eats his heart out from now until his dying day.

Exactly. And myKe luHv has never gotten over himself.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 04, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »

Except for when he wore the striped shirt in Hawaii in 1967.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 04, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »

Except it was wrinkled and untucked, point is that BW is over that period...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 04, 2018, 10:33:08 PM »

That's assuming a lot. Or maybe you were there as things were being negotiated, and saw Melinda cave to every demand of Mike's.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 05, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »

That's assuming a lot. Or maybe you were there as things were being negotiated, and saw Melinda cave to every demand of Mike's.

Well, there he goes again. Lonely Summer being Lonely Summer again only this time with a cap with Mike Love emblazoned on it.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 05, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »

Well, I guess all you guys can get some rest now.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 05, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »

Well, there he goes again. Lonely Summer being Lonely Summer again only this time with a cap with Mike Love emblazoned on it.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
My point being, Mike gave it to the other side on a number of issues; the backing band was mostly Brian's; the album was mostly Brian's songs, Brian's producer, Brian's musicians. Was that not enough for the Mike haters? Maybe he should have agreed to NOT be a part of the reunion, just like Brian, Al, David and Bruce go out as the Beach Boys without Satan, because, as we know, that's who Mike Love really is.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 05, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »

My point being, Mike gave it to the other side on a number of issues; the backing band was mostly Brian's; the album was mostly Brian's songs, Brian's producer, Brian's musicians. Was that not enough for the Mike haters? Maybe he should have agreed to NOT be a part of the reunion, just like Brian, Al, David and Bruce go out as the Beach Boys without Satan, because, as we know, that's who Mike Love really is.

Uh, Brian's backing band was far better than Mike's. You bet they were Brian's songs. Love, as the record buying public well knows, is not, nor ever will be a competent tunesmith. Mike did not have a producer handy(and please don't mention Bruce)so because they were mostly BW's songs, it would make perfect sense to have his own producer. As far as myKe luHv being Satan, if he's not, he's the closest thing to it.  Evil

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: August 05, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »

Caveat: the C50 tour wouldn’t have sounded as good without Scott Totten and John Cowsill ( and would’ve sounded better with Christian Love rather than Foskett)

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »

I couldn't agree more about Cowsill and Totten. They bring so much energy and dynamics to each and every show. They are both up there in terms of the greatest players in The Beach Boys band. I think Christian Love is a great singer, but would have been weak on Brian's falsetto parts. Maybe replace Foskett with Matt Jardine, but I don't see too much of a difference with those guys. Both stellar falsettos, Jeff just has sounded a little more rough these last few years, But I can't complain- he's still a great singer.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:08:47 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »

How sad that such obvious hatred and toxicity can pass by on this board without being dealt with. *sigh*

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »

I couldn't agree more about Cowsill and Totten. They bring so much energy and dynamics to each and every show. They are both up there in terms of the greatest players in The Beach Boys band. I think Christian Love is a great singer, but would have been weak on Brian's falsetto parts. Maybe replace Foskett with Matt Jardine, but I don't see too much of a difference with those guys. Both stellar falsettos, Jeff just has sounded a little more rough these last few years, But I can't complain- he's still a great singer.
If the remaining members decide to reunite again, I would say that the band must include at least Scott Totten sharing lead guitar with Dave, John Cowsill on drums and occasional vocals(lead on Wild Honey if Blondie isn't there), and maybe Matt Jardine. Of course, it would be ideal if Blondie were to participate as well.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx