gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:41:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180538 times)
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2018, 01:21:10 AM »

Stars and Stripes vol. 2
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2018, 06:10:42 AM »

Stars and Stripes vol. 2

This is perfect and will not be surpassed. Close the thread now.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2018, 06:21:11 AM »

BTW re: the striped shirts

I didn't realize that Mike and Bruce's group is currently wearing them. At least they were here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9_s9bDVD-0

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2018, 06:35:01 AM »

$248 for the shirt? Is that correct? Wow...I'll pass. One other note from the recent video, Mike sounds terrible on Rhonda, really makes one appreciate Al all the more.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2018, 06:50:38 AM »

I don’t know what his obsession with singing Rhonda now . He went 50 years without it . It’s not a good song for him
To do. It doesn’t fit his voice well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 06:55:39 AM by tpesky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2018, 06:58:48 AM »

The whole shirts thing is tough. They're doing essentially a *radio* program, and it sounds like the actual Q&A aspect isn't particularly substantive. The radio bit hasn't even aired. So all we have is some pics of them to chew on. It's the first time they've all been together in almost six years, and some nasty stuff has been said (mostly by just the one guy) about some of the others during that time, and "political factions" within the band's organization have arguably (or maybe not even arguably) become more solidified.

So their shirts are "just shirts", but I think the outward "optics" are a real thing to talk about, and certainly one of the only things to chew on at the moment.

The fact that two of the three big media outlet reports of the event specifically honed in on the painfully obvious "divide" that their dress was emblematic of, tells me the "shirt issue" isn't entirely superfluous. It's a real thing, even if in terms of actual substance, not *as* big of a deal as it might seem.

To me, this event and the "shirt issue" are pretty darn emblematic of how I would expect these guys to undertake such an event. It's absolutely unavoidably heartening to see them all in one place, and to see them cordial if not super warm and fuzzy (to loosely paraphrase one of the articles). And, at the same time, they're regularly known for throwing some wrench into things, sometimes huge sometimes tiny. The shirts thing isn't a huge deal, but these guys aren't *that* dense; they had to know all the things we're batting around (that it's tacky to wear Love-branded shirts; arguably tacky to wear any striped shirts; that Brian and Al wouldn't want to wear Love-branded shirts, that having the two "factions" so loudly contrasting in dress would be, AT BEST, visually awkward and an easy "in" for media outlets to snark about the divide, etc.).

This reminds me a bit of some of the C50 interviews. It was nice to see them all together, and interesting to see them interact on topics you would never have imagined (did anyone think we'd ever hear Mike reference Brian's Gershwin album in an interview?), but it was also obvious that, while they do have a Beatlesque "spark" when they're all together, they also have some awkward, stilted stuff still going on, such as probably laughing too much, a bit self-consciously so, in interviews during C50, sometimes for instance when Brian offered a maybe slightly funny non-sequitur or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2018, 07:00:21 AM »

I don’t know what his obsession with singing Rhonda now . He went 50 years without it . It’s not a good song for him
To do. It doesn’t fit his voice well.

I haven't watched this latest video, but I noticed when Mike took the lead over a few years ago, he kept it in the same key (same key Al sings it now) instead of lowering it. If he's so insistent on singing the song (which I would gather might be a belated case of wanting to sing one of their few #1 records), dropping the key a bit would help immensely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2018, 07:05:21 AM »

BTW re: the striped shirts

I didn't realize that Mike and Bruce's group is currently wearing them. At least they were here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9_s9bDVD-0

Mike's band did an event some months back (maybe in the UK?) where they wore the striped shirts. In the few discussions I saw, it was just referenced that they were doing a sort of throwback thing. What wasn't known at the time is that Mike is indeed launching a line of signature shirts. Not sure how he managed it, but he managed to make an already-tacky decision to have a band wear matching uniforms in 2018 even *more* tacky by making it about a branding thing.

Not the same thing as Dennis wearing "Beach Boys" shirts on tour in the 70s and 80s when it totally seemed more a case of living a the wild rock star lifestyle and just turning up at the gig and needing a shirt.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »

I also don't think wearing the old striped shirts as a one-off kitschy throwback thing is a horrible idea. Let's remember that Al (and only Al) did this back for the band's "20th Anniversary" gig on December 31, 1980. It should be noted, of course, that I believe Al had actually dug out a legit, original striped shirt from the 60s. He was not introducing an Al Jardine Signature Striped Shirt.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:08:49 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2018, 07:27:40 AM »

I think I saw somewhere, that Mike's shirts are priced at $249.00? That's a pricey shirt!
Maybe package it up with a ticket and a meet and greet. Bring a tailor on tour and you get a custom alteration backstage while meeting Mike.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 01, 2018, 07:30:20 AM »

I would love to know if Mike brought shirts for all
Of them and Brian and Al said no to wearing them or Mike just brought them
For him Bruce and Dave
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 01, 2018, 07:33:49 AM »

Brian and Al looked great with the 21st century BBs look...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »

I wish Blondie were there also. I hear Sail On Sailor daily on the Sirius Channel.  I also hear  Holland and BB Live cuts. Blondie in my mind is every much as big a part of the mid BB period as David was the early times. And my guess is that David would agree. Im certain that having Blondie on the C50 tour was a monetary decision, but not having him at the interview in my opinion was just another example of The Beach Boys making an A Plus opportunity a B plus.  I  also would pay anything to see Blondie in Mikes Striped shirt!
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 01, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »

I wish Blondie were there also. I hear Sail On Sailor daily on the Sirius Channel.  I also hear  Holland and BB Live cuts. Blondie in my mind is every much as big a part of the mid BB period as David was the early times. And my guess is that David would agree. Im certain that having Blondie on the C50 tour was a monetary decision, but not having him at the interview in my opinion was just another example of The Beach Boys making an A Plus opportunity a B plus.  I  also would pay anything to see Blondie in Mikes Striped shirt!

I do agree Blondie and Ricky should have been apart of the 50th Reunion Tour billed as "Special Guests".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2018, 09:23:20 AM »

You just won the internet.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »

Hypothetical: Flip the script and both Al and Brian show up wearing these shirts yesterday, while Mike, Bruce, and David are sporting normal street clothes.

In that case, I suppose no one would notice, including the media outlets writing about the shirts, and anyone noticing and commenting would be called a hater. Right?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »

Boss shirt though! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »

Hypothetical: Flip the script and both Al and Brian show up wearing these shirts yesterday, while Mike, Bruce, and David are sporting normal street clothes.

In that case, I suppose no one would notice, including the media outlets writing about the shirts, and anyone noticing and commenting would be called a hater. Right?

As we know, it's not really about shirts. It's about one member of the band using the reunion as an opportunity for self-promotion. Also, to be disappointed about that decision is not to miss the importance of the reunion and the joy in seeing Brian and Mike smiling at each other. We can have two thoughts at once. We can have complicated opinions about Mike.

By the way, I love that Brian shirt. Hadn't seen his merch in a while.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »

I agree actually but you gotta admit, it does look off at first glance especially since those are Mike Love branded shirts. That said at the end of the day it was heartening to see them laughing together
There shouldn't be a "but..." in any of this. The surviving members of one of the greatest groups on earth have come together once again, against all logic and odds, and all anybody on this board can talk about is the evil Mike Love somehow cashing in on this and making a quick buck. This board embarrasses me at times.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »

I agree actually but you gotta admit, it does look off at first glance especially since those are Mike Love branded shirts. That said at the end of the day it was heartening to see them laughing together
There shouldn't be a "but..." in any of this. The surviving members of one of the greatest groups on earth have come together once again, against all logic and odds, and all anybody on this board can talk about is the evil Mike Love somehow cashing in on this and making a quick buck. This board embarrasses me at times.

Because that’s what he tried to do/ did. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »

That's not "all anybody can talk about"... I for one have repeatedly said that it's a wonderful, truly wonderful thing for the band to have come back together for this, and that it's hopefully a healing moment on some level for them.

That doesn't mean that somebody can't *also* think that the shirt thing is a little weird, too. And I don't know (nor can I say) if the "quick buck" thing was the motivation, only that it should have been obvious to Mike that only some members wearing shirts which are THAT iconic presents the opposite effect of a unified gathering of a "band". If something kinda rubs somebody the wrong way, they're allowed to talk about it.

But I agree that people shouldn't lose sight of the fact that it's super rad that they got back together (despite the shirt weirdness).

What if KISS reunited and did a press conference, but only 2 or 3 of them were dressed up in the iconic makeup, but the other(s) weren't? Wouldn't that be weird (and talked about), despite people also being glad they reunited? Or would that be a case of "let's not talk about the fact that some of them are dressed in the iconic makeup, while others aren't... let's sweep that under the rug and not talk about it ever"? Please answer this; I don't know how anyone can say that a KISS situation like that would just be ignored without a "but". It would be weird! C'mon.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:05:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 01, 2018, 12:04:45 PM »

Consider this scenario for a moment, if you will: What if The Beach Boys as a collective unit have come together to announce and support their friend and partner, Mike Love, in having his own line of Beach Boys related clothing? What if Brian himself gave his full approval and blessing? Would that change anybody's tune?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »

Consider this scenario for a moment, if you will: What if The Beach Boys as a collective unit have come together to announce and support their friend and partner, Mike Love, in having his own line of Beach Boys related clothing? What if Brian himself gave his full approval and blessing? Would that change anybody's tune?

Well if they actually all talked about the shirt thing, joked about it, and said they were supporting Mike's line, it would make a little more sense, and it would less weird if Brian/Al said they were knowingly supporting Mike and added that they just simply decided to wear their street clothes just because they're more comfortable in them. It'd still be bizarre, but maybe it'd make more sense if they were upfront like that in your hypothetical scenario.

But you didn't answer my question about KISS.  What if KISS reunited and did a press conference, but only 2 or 3 of them were dressed up in the iconic makeup, but the other(s) weren't? With no band member mentioning a peep about the difference. Would that not strike you as weird?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:16:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2018, 12:21:30 PM »

For me, the shirts aren't a huge deal and I still love seeing them all pictured together. We're all mature enough to know, especially after C50, that they may give off more cordiality than is rolling around in their head. That is, a pic of Brian and Mike smiling and exchanging stories is cool, and I don't think they're "faking it", but it also doesn't mean they're totally cool and it's only people "around" them fueling the acrimony. There is of course that too, sometimes.

I don't think Mike handing out signature shirts is really some huge cash grab. Few even *know* they're Love signature shirts. I dunno, maybe the audio of the event will reveal Mike actually plugged his clothing line, which would be pretty ridiculous. But I'm guessing he didn't do that. So I don't care about that stuff particularly.

There are two separate but somewhat related issues that the shirts thing actually does raise. One is simple optics as I've said many times. MAJOR kudos to Schilling for getting these guys to be in the same room. I don't think even the hardcore fans always understand how HUGE of a minefield anything to do with BRI can be. But there are always limits to how much these things can be managed, and *if*, say, Jerry Schilling noticed that the "optics" of the appearance were a bit off, it probably would better to leave alone for fear of blowing it up into an even bigger deal.

Separately from the optics is how one can't honestly *not* notice how this visual epitomizes the divide that continues between these camps (and I guess Dave is the free-floating guy who probably noticed that Mike and his family were being kind to him, and accepted the offer to wear one of his shirts). It isn't directly about striped shirts. It might as well be Brian and Al wearing "Smile" shirts and Mike wearing a "Kokomo" shirt, or whatever.

Did the shirts thing really impact the event? It doesn't appear so. Did the guys in the band notice and maybe/probably grumble/eye roll behind the scenes? Quite possibly. These guys are both absolute pros at a lot of things and also stunningly bad at handling other things for people who have been in the industry for almost 60 years. But one thing I think they're well-equipped to deal with is ignoring things that could cause snags and just getting on with the show. *In the moment* that is. Carrying that sort of ethos into something like, say, continuing a reunion tour, is obviously beyond the grasp of at least one of these guys.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: August 01, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »

In terms of perception/optics as a whole, of course not. A *direct* sales pitch at this particular event would have been far worse as far as being tacky. As it is, most have no idea those are Mike's shirts.

Now, more broadly, they ALL should be cross-promoting EVERYTHING the way the solo Beatles camps do with Apple. Not so much at an event like this, but Brian should be plugging Mike's shirts and whatever other memorabilia, Mike should be promoting Brian's "Playback" CD, Mike should be promoting Al's "Postcards", Brian and Al should be promoting, however painful, "Unleash the Love." But that doesn't happen.

Since the reunion, we learned these guys have trouble actually working together/being together professionally. So folks like myself have long been calling for essentially running BRI and the individual camps the same way the solo Beatles/estates have come around to promoting Beatles and individual products. Yes, this kind of means acting like Brian and Mike and Al are dead and their estates are happy to cross-promote. It's essentially a case of "if you guys can't be together, at least let your OWN company help you improve the brand and make more money together." It looks like Schilling may finally be getting them to do this a least a *little* bit with an event like this.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:27:07 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx