gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:06:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180508 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »

Wait, so this event *wasn't* for a tribute band?

Ha at least these guys know enough to wear the short sleeve shirts!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »

A few interesting new details here:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8468014/beach-boys-siriusxm-town-hall-recap

Reunited Beach Boys Catch a Nostalgic Wave During SiriusXM Town Hall Taping: Here Are 7 Highlights

7/31/2018  by Melinda Newman   

The event marked the first time the band had been together since its 2012 50th anniversary tour.

More than 55 years since they last recorded there, the Beach Boys gathered in Capitol Records’ vaunted Studio A on Monday night in Hollywood for a SiriusXM Town Hall.

The event marked the first time the five members -- Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston -- have been together since their 50th anniversary shows in 2012. They gathered in celebration of their SiriusXM channel and The Beach Boys With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which came out June 8. A number of selections from the album, which features the Beach Boys' original vocals set to new orchestrations, were played during the evening, with Wilson acting as the ultimate producer -- raising his hand to cut off the tracks after he’d heard enough.

Though all were collegial, complimentary and polite, if not warm, toward each other onstage in an interview moderated by director Rob Reiner, the decades-long division between the two camps -- Wilson and Jardine tour together under Wilson’s name, while the other three tour as the Beach Boys -- played out more subtly in that Love, Marks and Johnston all wore matching blue-and-white vertically striped shirts, similar to what the band wore in its early days.

Among the night's highlights...

Wilson revealed that his songwriting process begins with chords. “At the piano, I’ll play chords, play, play, play, and then, all of a sudden, the melody comes.” Added Love, his cousin: “No one was more masterful at chord progressions than Brian.”

Wilson was the band’s first drummer, before younger brother Dennis got the gig. He plays snare drum on the Beach Boys’ debut single, 1961’s “Surfin’.” “When I rented the gear, I forgot to rent the sticks,” Jardine recalled. “So in rehearsal, [Brian] used his finger, then I went back and got some brushes.”

The band’s vocal masterwork, “Good Vibrations,” took six months to record. “It was challenging for me to teach the guys,” Wilson said. “It was a little more of a masterpiece.” Joked Jardine: “It felt like six years.” Love dictated the lyrics to his now-ex-wife on the way to the studio. “She transcribed them as I was driving to the studio.” Glen Campbell is among the musicians in the famed Wrecking Crew collective who played on the song. “When I heard the final mix, I said, ‘This is either going to be No. 1 or our career is over,’” Johnston said of the kaleidoscopic track. Jardine reminded Wilson that he didn’t want “Good Vibrations” on Pet Sounds, instead wanting to save it for Smile.

Speaking of, Johnston had some thoughts on the band’s great unfinished concept album from the ‘60s, Smile, which Wilson eventually abandoned after it was mired in band discord and studio complications: “I would have made it your solo album on [now defunct classical label] Angel and we would be invited to be the vocalists on it with you because it was way up there in your head. Everything was great.”

The Beach Boys and the Beatles had great respect for each other, deeply influencing each other’s works, but they never collaborated, much to the Beach Boys’ dismay. “I thought we were going to,” Jardine said. “John [Lennon] and George [Harrison] came to my hotel room back in the '60s, and on our way to do a show in Paris, I thought they were going to discuss some music with me, and [instead] they taught me transcendental meditation. That would have been a great collaboration.” Johnston recalled playing Pet Sounds for The Who’s Keith Moon and two of the Beatles, whom he said took the vibe of “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” for “Here, There and Everywhere” as they began work on Revolver. Reiner told a story about McCartney walking into a Wilson show just as Wilson started playing “God Only Knows,” which McCartney has said is his favorite song. “I heard he started crying,” Wilson said of a live performance of the song.

After 50 years, the band members are still discovering things about each other. Wilson said that the lovely, melancholy “In My Room,” on 1963’s Surfer Girl, was more reflective of his co-writer Gary Usher’s feelings than his own at the time. “I didn’t know that,” piped up Jardine. “I assumed it was Brian Wilson’s personal story about being secluded and lonely and feeling those feelings we all have.” Johnston revealed that to him, “The most incredible song in the whole catalog from a writing point of view is ‘Warmth of the Sun.’ Perfect song, perfect recording.” Love added: “I went over to Brian’s house. He’d moved out of his family home,” he said of composing the song, which was started the day John F. Kennedy was murdered. “He came up with the haunting melody and I came up with the words. We recorded it maybe a month and a half later. It was mystical. President Kennedy had been assassinated. It was powerful.”

Among the family and friends in attendance to support the band were Brian Wilson’s ex-wife, Marilyn, who told Billboard how much she was enjoying the Beach Boys channel, in part because it was playing songs from The Honeys, her '60s girl group signed to Capitol and produced by Wilson. “Thanks to [SiriusXM senior director of music programming] Lou Simon, I’m hearing our music on the radio in America for the first time. We got played in Europe, but not America.” Also there were Carl Wilson’s sons, Justyn and Jonah, and Blue Note Records head Don Was, who produced I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times, the 1995 documentary on Brian Wilson.

The Town Hall begins airing on the Beach Boys’ SiriusXM channel on Aug. 10.

--Additional reporting by Fred Bronson

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »

Here's one from the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-beach-boys-town-hall-siriusxm-20180725-story.html#

Beach Boys founding members reconvene for harmonious gathering in Hollywood

by Randy Lewis

Time heals all wounds. And in Hollywood, having a new project to promote can undoubtedly facilitate the mending process.

Thus, nary a hurtful nor discouraging word between Beach Boys founding members and periodic adversaries Brian Wilson and Mike Love was heard Monday night during a taping for a satellite radio show.

Sirius XM brought the two together in a public setting for the first time since the disharmonious end of the group’s wildly successful 50th anniversary tour in 2012, when Love, who holds the legal rights to use of the Beach Boys name, quashed efforts to extend the reunion tour and instead returned to his scaled-down Beach Boys touring group minus Wilson and fellow original members Al Jardine and David Marks.

The promotional aspect was twofold: to draw more attention to the satellite radio service’s new Beach Boys-dedicated channel and to spotlight the recently released album “The Beach Boys With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,” in which songs from the group’s repertoire have been overlaid with orchestral accompaniment by the English orchestra.

The album concept is similar to two collections of vintage Elvis Presley studio tracks that have had commercial success, especially overseas. The connective thread among the projects is longtime Presley associate Jerry Schilling

Actor-director Rob Reiner moderated the hourlong session at Capitol Studio A in Hollywood, where the Beach Boys once recorded, engaging all five longtime members who were on hand: Wilson (whom Reiner introduced as “The Genius”), Love, singer-guitarist Jardine, guitarist Marks and keyboardist-singer Bruce Johnston, who joined the enterprise in 1965.

The exchanges between Wilson and Love found both at their most cordial, Love saluting his cousin for melodic and harmonic creativity and Wilson coming across as moderately more conversational than he often is during interviews, a process he regularly treats with the same enthusiasm as a tax audit.

Jardine provided some of the most illuminating anecdotes from the band’s storied history. Regarding the recording of their first hit, “Surfin,’” Jardine noted that as vocally accomplished as the group — also then including Brian’s brothers Carl and Dennis — was in its early days, it had no instruments other than the Wilson family’s piano.

Of the “Surfin’” session, Wilson noted that “I had a little drum with a brush.” Jardine explained that after renting other instruments, “I forgot to rent the sticks for the drum. So I had to go back to the store and wound up getting some brushes.”

In addition to questions of his own, Reiner facilitated queries from audience members, most of which were Beach Boys 101 subjects such as “Did you live the lifestyle of surfing, cars and girls?” (Wilson said, as he often has, that Dennis Wilson was the only real surfer in the group, and that it was Dennis’ suggestion that Love write a song about the then-emerging sport that put the band on the road to pop music history.)

Marks said he also tried his hand at surfing, confessing, “I wasn’t very good. But there were girls at the beach, so I kept showing up.”

During a discussion of the Beach Boys’ delve into music traditions, Marks pointed out that surf guitar hero Dick Dale recorded a version of the Bahamian folk tune “Sloop John B” several years before the Beach Boys took it on in 1966 for their “Pet Sounds” album.

Jardine also jumped to answer in at one audience member’s question that temporarily stumped Wilson and the others: Was there anyone you would have wanted to collaborate with that you never did?

Jardine piped in: “The Beatles. I thought we were going to collaborate with them. John and George invited us to come to their hotel room when we were doing a show in Paris. But when we got there, they taught me Transcendental Meditation. But I think we would have had a great collaboration.”

The town hall session is slated to premiere Aug. 10 on the Beach Boys’ SiriusXM Channel 4 and will feature three of the songs from the Royal Philharmonic album: “Fun, Fun, Fun,” “California Girls” and “Good Vibrations.”

Near the end, Reiner asked, “Why do you think this music has lasted as long as it has?” Love responded: “I’d say it’s love,” Reiner elicited chuckles from the audience of about 100 as he quipped, “You mean Mike Love or just love in general?”

“The love of getting together and singing those harmonies,” Love continued. “Without thinking about any money, and about any fame or any record position on the charts, it’s the sheer joy of getting together and doing those harmonies together. That’s the essential ingredient.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »

If even mainstream media outlets are picking up on the "Beach Boys 101" nature of the questions, it's probably good to temper our expectations regarding the actual Q&A itself. I already have, but even I'm surprised how basic some of the questions were.

But such is the nature of these events. I didn't expect someone to ask about the C50 tour.  LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2018, 02:11:16 PM »

The Billboard description is interesting; multiple media outlets are (for better or worse) picking up on the flashing red light that was the mis-matched shirts. Leave it to the Beach Boys to create some weird minor controversy nobody could have envisioned. Shirtgate indeed.

Billboard is of course incorrect that David Marks is a regular touring member of Mike's band.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »

As that photo from 2012 shows, Mike, Bruce and Dave wear the ball caps all the time. It's their thing.

Now, on to my grand shirt theory.

An earlier post noted that Brian threw the seating arrangement out of order. It probably the case that Brian was supposed to sit in Dave's chair, so the look would have been No stripes (Rob) -- stripes (Dave) -- no stripes  (Al) -- stripes (Mike) -- no stripes (Brian) -- stripes (Dave). That also would have seated Brian and Mike next to one another, in the center. Brian's back and reluctance to move simply threw it off.

Another clue? The photo gallery Dave Marks posted suggests he wasn't wearing that striped shirt when he went into Capitol for the day. The stripes were brought in just for the event.

While it's important, to be clear, that we shouldn't indeed overanalyze the shirts, I'm a bit surprised, even if Brian couldn't move to another chair, that they didn't swap some other guys around to avoid making the already-painfully-obvious conflicting wardrobe camps a bit less visually obvious.

If these had been generic striped shirts, then it would be easy to just assume some organizer thought it would be fun (or funny) to have them all wear striped shirts. But one can't be faulted for connecting Brian and Al *not* wearing the shirts with the fact that they're part of Mike's signature line of shirts, complete with Mike's image being sewn into the inner lining apparently.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »

Love dictated the lyrics to his now-ex-wife on the way to the studio. “She transcribed them as I was driving to the studio.”

This story has been told by Mike a couple of times. What confuses me is, if they had a vocal session that day and Mike only came up with the lyrics while driving there, which lyrics were they supposed to sing originally?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »

Yep, sounds like nothings  coming from this

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »

Why didn't they include Blondie Chaplin in this?
After all, he was an official Beach Boy (even if it wasn't for a long time) and has been an important part of Brian's shows for years.
Ricki Fataar seems to be more or less retired, so I understand why he's not there. But Blondie should have been there!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »

After all, he was an official Beach Boy (even if it wasn't for a long time) and has been an important part of Brian's shows for years.
Ricki Fataar seems to be more or less retired, so I understand why he's not there. But Blondie should have been there!

If the purpose of this was after all the hoopla, to simply promote the symphonic record, which Blondie doesn't appear on, why would he be there?
jonathan anderle
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »

Speaking of, Johnston had some thoughts on the band’s great unfinished concept album from the ‘60s, Smile, which Wilson eventually abandoned after it was mired in band discord and studio complications: “I would have made it your solo album on [now defunct classical label] Angel and we would be invited to be the vocalists on it with you because it was way up there in your head. Everything was great.”

You don't say.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »

Yeah that seemed a little revisionist to me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jonathan anderle
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »

It's nice of him to say and I have no reason to believe that he didn't have that thought at the time, it's just a little funny to see now.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »

It's hard to say Ricky has retired... he tours constantly with Bonnie Raitt.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »

As that photo from 2012 shows, Mike, Bruce and Dave wear the ball caps all the time. It's their thing.

An earlier post noted that Brian threw the seating arrangement out of order. It probably the case that Brian was supposed to sit in Dave's chair, so the look would have been No stripes (Rob) -- stripes (Dave) -- no stripes  (Al) -- stripes (Mike) -- no stripes (Brian) -- stripes (Dave). That also would have seated Brian and Mike next to one another, in the center. Brian's back and reluctance to move simply threw it off.

Another clue? The photo gallery Dave Marks posted suggests he wasn't wearing that striped shirt when he went into Capitol for the day. The stripes were brought in just for the event.

While it's important, to be clear, that we shouldn't indeed overanalyze the shirts, I'm a bit surprised, even if Brian couldn't move to another chair, that they didn't swap some other guys around to avoid making the already-painfully-obvious conflicting wardrobe camps a bit less visually obvious.

If these had been generic striped shirts, then it would be easy to just assume some organizer thought it would be fun (or funny) to have them all wear striped shirts. But one can't be faulted for connecting Brian and Al *not* wearing the shirts with the fact that they're part of Mike's signature line of shirts, complete with Mike's image being sewn into the inner lining apparently.

Maybe Brian preferred to sit next to Al. Also that picture where Bruce is hugging Brian has Brian and Al already sitting so perhaps the other 3 came in after and Bw and AJ wanted to sit next to each other
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »

Not apparently at all - Reality. Pictures of Mike are in fact on the inner lining of the sleeve cuff for one, so if you roll up the sleeves as David Marks had done for the event, you look down at your hand and see photos of Mike Love on the material.

Again I'll ask simply - Is the thought that those shirts were brought in for Brian and Al to wear, and if so, what kind of half-assed thought process would someone go through to assume Brian and Al would wear Mike's shirts that not only take the image away from the Beach Boys' association with those striped shirts, but also have pictures of Mike in them and are being hawked during the only time they've been together in 6 years?

Unreal, all of this.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2018, 06:31:43 PM »

I'll just come out and say it, or repeat it as that's the case. I've been seeing more wire photos and various shots of the event coming out and being republished.

The image of three band members in matching Mike Love tribute striped shirts and caps and two guys in normal clothes looked ridiculous. If this was the Love team's attempt to market Mike's shirts, or send some subliminal message out on the press wires, it looked silly and cheap. And what no one is mentioning either is how host Rob Reiner had separate off-stage photos taken, one with the three guys in stripes and one with the two in normal clothes. Couldn't figure that one out as it was a group event. But it looked silly.

My 2 cents.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »

I'll just come out and say it, or repeat it as that's the case. I've been seeing more wire photos and various shots of the event coming out and being republished.

The image of three band members in matching Mike Love tribute striped shirts and caps and two guys in normal clothes looked ridiculous. If this was the Love team's attempt to market Mike's shirts, or send some subliminal message out on the press wires, it looked silly and cheap. And what no one is mentioning either is how host Rob Reiner had separate off-stage photos taken, one with the three guys in stripes and one with the two in normal clothes. Couldn't figure that one out as it was a group event. But it looked silly.

My 2 cents.

I agree, it's very hard to see it otherwise. IMO it feels like some sort of subliminal attempt to assert control over the brand and mark his territory, so to speak. I find it hard to conceive that the choice was made from anything but an insecure place.  As if to remind everybody of who's boss. Maybe Mike isn't completely doing this consciously. I dunno. He's seemingly unstoppably hardwired at this point to remind everyone of his role in the band, as if that's his Sara Connor 1984 mission, that maybe he just does this stuff on autopilot.

That said, I'm genuinely happy to see Mike and Brian putting their differences aside and enjoying each others' company for a little bit. I think that's a genuinely good thing for them as human beings, and as family. And that's the most important takeaway of the whole thing. No doubt.  

While I may be bitching and moaning about the clothes, I don't want to overlook the significance of there being some sort of olive branch. That must be good for every band member's soul on some level. But it is possible to feel really genuinely good about them having reunited, however briefly, like this... and to also feel like there's an awkward aspect that was unnecessarily introduced with the shirts. 

GF - as far as public perception and brand weirdness goes, all your points about the splintered factions being exacerbated by the shirts are valid.  I don't want to be a downer at a time like this, but I also find it difficult to simply overlook that... and it's very hard to avoid feeling that it's an unfortunate that choice was made with clothing with regards to what it symbolizes.

Nobody should be feeling like the band is split apart from each other and splintered into different groups at a rare time when they come together. This should be a "holy" moment in BB-ville. Doesn't mean they have to all wear matching shirts that are embroidered with the text "we all love each other and want to record new music together" if they're not ready for that... but simply *not* having three of them dressed in the iconic outfits while the others aren't would suffice for more normalcy and less distraction.  

It's such a no-brainer to not muck things up with an awkward partial iconic shirt presentation.  Which is why I will circle back to the thought that it feels hard to think the clothes on some, but not all the band members, to not have been a planned stunt on some level, so to speak. And hey, maybe Mike offered Brian and Al a chance to wear these shirts too, but if they didn't all want to wear them, he shouldn't have worn them either. It'd have been better taste to not make Brian and Al look like the odd men out.

Maybe Mike and Bruce just need to finally give in and get face and neck tats with the logo, because I think the hats and shirts might be insufficient reminders. They can start with henna tats, and if they like 'em, they can take the full plunge  LOL
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:14:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2018, 09:58:14 PM »

The matching shirts indeed look kinda odd. I like the way it looked when they wore them in the 60s. But here they look ill-placed. The Pendleton shirts in 2012 looked better, if they wanted to wear matching outfits:

Thanks for the pictures! No one got hurt. That's a start!  Cheesy

I see there's another seat to Brian's right. Who's place is that?

‘...so I’ve booked this room.’

LOL

"Brian, you'll never meet girls with that shirt..."
They look like they're ready to go hunting.

Brian: "I'm gonna shoot some Deer!!!"

Al: "oh dear God...."

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2018, 10:14:44 PM »

The matching shirts indeed look kinda odd. I like the way it looked when they wore them in the 60s. But here they look ill-placed. The Pendleton shirts in 2012 looked better, if they wanted to wear matching outfits:

Thanks for the pictures! No one got hurt. That's a start!  Cheesy

I see there's another seat to Brian's right. Who's place is that?

‘...so I’ve booked this room.’

LOL

"Brian, you'll never meet girls with that shirt..."
They look like they're ready to go hunting.

Brian: "I'm gonna shoot some Deer!!!"

Al: "oh dear God...."

Oh deer

(Pun intended 😁)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »

Ahh, the Pendeltons! Now *those* were cool shirts, and Pendelton did it right be reissuing the original board shirt that the band wore in their earliest promo photos as a "Beach Boys" edition of that shirt. I always wanted one - quite expensive for a flannel but it's the only one with that specific design. I was in a shop on vacation that had Pendelton shirts on sale, but they were not the Beach Boys edition board shirts, and they were made in China...I think Pendelton has some that are made outside the US but I thought the more upscale shirts like the BB edition were made in the US. Still neat flannels, but not the one I wanted. Anyway...

Pendelton did it right because it was a "Beach Boys" edition and marketed as such. Not specific to a single member, and no individual band member tried to take ownership of what is - to fans - an iconic shirt in the band's history that some fans might want to wear and own.

As someone says, "just sayin'".

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2018, 10:21:41 PM »

My 2 cents.

I agree, it's very hard to see it otherwise. IMO it feels like some sort of subliminal attempt to assert control over the brand and mark his territory, so to speak. I find it hard to conceive that the choice was made from anything but an insecure place.  As if to remind everybody of who's boss. Maybe Mike isn't completely doing this consciously. I dunno. He's seemingly unstoppably hardwired at this point to remind everyone of his role in the band, as if that's his Sara Connor 1984 mission, that maybe he just does this stuff on autopilot.

That said, I'm genuinely happy to see Mike and Brian putting their differences aside and enjoying each others' company for a little bit. I think that's a genuinely good thing for them as human beings, and as family. And that's the most important takeaway of the whole thing. No doubt.  

While I may be bitching and moaning about the clothes, I don't want to overlook the significance of there being some sort of olive branch. That must be good for every band member's soul on some level. But it is possible to feel really genuinely good about them having reunited, however briefly, like this... and to also feel like there's an awkward aspect that was unnecessarily introduced with the shirts.  

GF - as far as public perception and brand weirdness goes, all your points about the splintered factions being exacerbated by the shirts are valid.  I don't want to be a downer at a time like this, but I also find it difficult to simply overlook that... and it's very hard to avoid feeling that it's an unfortunate that choice was made with clothing with regards to what it symbolizes.

Nobody should be feeling like the band is split apart from each other and splintered into different groups at a rare time when they come together. This should be a "holy" moment in BB-ville. Doesn't mean they have to all wear matching shirts that are embroidered with the text "we all love each other and want to record new music together" if they're not ready for that... but simply *not* having three of them dressed in the iconic outfits while the others aren't would suffice for more normalcy and less distraction.  

It's such a no-brainer to not muck things up with an awkward partial iconic shirt presentation.  Which is why I will circle back to the thought that it feels hard to think the clothes on some, but not all the band members, to not have been a planned stunt on some level, so to speak. And hey, maybe Mike offered Brian and Al a chance to wear these shirts too, but if they didn't all want to wear them, he shouldn't have worn them either. It'd have been better taste to not make Brian and Al look like the odd men out.

Maybe Mike and Bruce just need to finally give in and get face and neck tats with the logo, because I think the hats and shirts might be insufficient reminders. They can start with henna tats, and if they like 'em, they can take the full plunge  LOL

I'm being honest in saying that the first thing I thought when those first photos started appearing, before hearing a word of the interview or event itself, was what is the deal with the shirts. I'm not the only one judging from comments on various outlets, including RS coverage of the event. It was an odd visual for sure, and it kind of dampened the vibe for me.

That said, it is a very, very cool thing to get all the guys together this way. So I'm even a little more surprised at this whole matching shirt deal, where it looked like 3 against 2 at an event supposed to be about coming together as a band again.

Sad. But par for the course.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:22:23 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »

Also, Mike and Bruce need to ditch the overly-dressy leather shoes (especially with the TruckNutz™-esque tassels, yeesh!), and just get a bit casual with some sneakers. The "I'm a rich dude" shoe look is a bad match with the rest of these outfits, either paired with Pendletons or striped shirts.  Mr. Blackwell would have a field day.

I don't follow M&B's fashion choices during their shows, so I have to ask - I know Bruce often wears shorts when he performs live... he doesn't ever dare wear those tassel dress shoes with shorts, does he?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:40:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »

Does it really matter who wore what? The fucking Beach Boys were together again for a few minutes. Did anybody here think we would ever see a picture of Brian and Mike together, and laughing and enjoying each others company?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2018, 11:33:46 PM »

I agree actually but you gotta admit, it does look off at first glance especially since those are Mike Love branded shirts. That said at the end of the day it was heartening to see them laughing together

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx