gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:49:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180528 times)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »

Is it just me or does the Sirius XM banner give a weird blurry look to all of the photos. Almost like I should be wearing 3D glasses.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »

Is it just me or does the Sirius XM banner give a weird blurry look to all of the photos. Almost like I should be wearing 3D glasses.

It's because of the striped shirts!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »

“Beach Brother” coming this fall! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »

https://gumroad.com/l/mRwVf

Looking at more photos coming out, and seeing Getty Images now has them for distribution too, the visual and optics of those shirts does stick out even more. It's an odd visual to present, and it's just opinion but it does put a dividing line into the event. As if anyone didn't know one was there anyway. Now the press wires and PR from the event puts it on full display.

But seriously - Those shirts are the Mike Love tribute shirts being sold at the link above. They even have pictures of Mike on the cuffs, so when you roll up the sleeves as David did, you see photos of Mike.

Really? That's my reaction. Tacky. A schtick. Distracting from what the event actually was. And if anyone starts getting on Brian and Al for not wearing them, remember that those shirts have nothing to do with the Beach Boys in their present form. Especially with Mike's photos in the lining and the cuffs.

Just my 2 cents.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »

Looking at more photos coming out, and seeing Getty Images now has them for distribution too, the visual and optics of those shirts does stick out even more. It's an odd visual to present, and it's just opinion but it does put a dividing line into the event. As if anyone didn't know one was there anyway. Now the press wires and PR from the event puts it on full display.

But seriously - Those shirts are the Mike Love tribute shirts being sold at the link above. They even have pictures of Mike on the cuffs, so when you roll up the sleeves as David did, you see photos of Mike.

Really? That's my reaction. Tacky. A schtick. Distracting from what the event actually was. And if anyone starts getting on Brian and Al for not wearing them, remember that those shirts have nothing to do with the Beach Boys in their present form. Especially with Mike's photos in the lining and the cuffs.

Just my 2 cents.

Has a famous band, where the entire band regularly wore "band uniforms" as a thing, ever done a press conference or a planned-out event, where some members simply just didn't wear that uniform, while multiple others did?

This is pretty nuts from a visual and "what does this really mean when we read through the lines" perspective! Bizarre. Is it a powerplay maneuver that was planned out, sort of the next stage of Mike and Bruce's "Beach Boys" omnipresent hat logo, that asserts THESE PARTICULAR GUYS ARE IN THE BAND CALLED THE BEACH BOYS? Maybe yes, maybe no. But it's hard to think that it meant absolutely nothing to the guys.

I know not long ago, there was a thread on this board where it came up that Carl came super late to a BBs gig during the striped shirt era, and was the lone non-striped-shirt wearer on stage that night... but that was by accident simply because of how late he was running, so I'm not counting that. Plus it wasn't multiple members not wearing striped shirts.

I'm thinking this might be a first in the history of famous uniform-wearing bands.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:11:27 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2018, 10:07:25 AM »

Just my 2 cents.

Right. Does Mike want a reunion because he wants to spend time with his family or because he wants to make money? I get it-- both. Understandable, but the shirt thing comes off as a --as you said--tacky ploy. He's using the reunion for self-promotion because he knows more people will pay attention with both him and Brian in the same room.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »

Just my 2 cents.

Has a famous band, where the entire band regularly wore "band uniforms" as a thing, ever done a press conference or a planned-out event, where some members simply just didn't wear that uniform, while multiple others did?

This is pretty nuts from a visual and "what does this really mean when we read through the lines" perspective! Bizarre. Is it a powerplay maneuver that was planned out, sort of the next stage of Mike and Bruce's "Beach Boys" logo that asserts THESE PARTICULAR GUYS ARE IN THE BAND CALLED THE BEACH BOYS?

I know not long ago, there was a thread on this board where it came up that Carl came super late to a BBs gig during the striped shirt era, and was the lone non-striped-shirt wearer on stage that night... but that was by accident simply because of how late he was running, so I'm not counting that. Plus it wasn't multiple members not wearing striped shirts.

I'm thinking this might be a first in the history of famous uniform-wearing bands.

It is distracting. And these photos are now circulating so the general public can see what's going on. It is nuts, and it didn't need to be that way.

I guess some would suggest Brian and Al should have worn Mike's shirts to help promote Mike's line of Mike Love tribute shirts? Because that striped shirt worn by Mike, Bruce, and David sure as f*** has nothing to do with the Beach Boys.

It's a distraction.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2018, 10:13:45 AM »

Just my 2 cents.

This is pretty nuts from a visual and "what does this really mean when we read through the lines" perspective! Bizarre. Is it a powerplay maneuver that was planned out, sort of the next stage of Mike and Bruce's "Beach Boys" logo that asserts THESE PARTICULAR GUYS ARE IN THE BAND CALLED THE BEACH BOYS?

It is distracting. And these photos are now circulating so the general public can see what's going on. It is nuts, and it didn't need to be that way.

I guess some would suggest Brian and Al should have worn Mike's shirts to help promote Mike's line of Mike Love tribute shirts? Because that striped shirt worn by Mike, Bruce, and David sure as f*** has nothing to do with the Beach Boys.

It's a distraction.

It wouldn't be The BBs without something weird like that happening.  

I should add there were a few C50 shows where 2 of the guys happened to have simultaneously wore the same paisley shirt, but that was surely just a coincidence, and those shirts were anything but iconic uniforms for the band. That was more like the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ethel buy the same dress. This is something else entirely. Again, even if nothing was "meant" by this visual divide, it just makes for an awkward distraction.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:14:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »

The 2012 wear was iconic in its own right!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »

The 2012 wear was iconic in its own right!

I sorta agree. But someone should have shown the band members the Lucy and Ethel buy the same dress episode on a DVD on the tour bus to help clue them in to that fashion no-no!
Maybe if onetime Desi Arnaz Jr. bandmate Billy Hinsche had been on C50, he'd have educated the BBs on that, so that fashion faux pas could have been avoided  LOL

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:29:05 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »

Regardless of how much any of the guys were or weren't thinking about what they were wearing, the "optics" of the situation as far as drawing a line between "factions" was almost comically prevalent. So much so that the Rolling Stone article this morning specifically points out that very division. (Though they only point out the visual difference; nobody seems to be reporting on the stripes shirts being Mike-branded shirts).

As objective as I can be, Brian and Al had about 27 good, solid reasons to not wear those shirts. And we obviously don't even know if they were offered shirts, or if they were even told the three other guys would be wearing the same thing.

It doesn't *seem* based on available pics and reports that the shirts were even a thing to the guys, at least during the event. You never know what goes on behind the scenes. If Mike's "branded" shirts got some eye rolls behind the scenes, I wouldn't find that particularly inappropriate.

I dunno; I can't imagine, say, the circa 1995 "Threetles" all showing up to an "Anthology" press conference in Apple-branded 1964 Beatles suits (or '65 "Day Tripper" jackets, etc.). An occasional nod to the past can be tasteful and cool. McCartney wears Beatle boot-type things or skinny ties sometimes. He'll wear a Nehru-jacket sort of thing sometimes, etc.  

But the only time the post-Beatles Beatles ever strapped on an old Beatles suit or their Sgt. Pepper uniforms were for goofy music video bits and things like that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »

the shirt issue really spoils the event, visually, so at least we have radio to thank for (reminds me of a song title)

something more important this brings to mind is late George Harrison and how he'd describe his former Beatle years as "a shirt I used to wear but don't anymore"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »

Three guys wearing the same Mike Love tribute shirt, AND baseball caps. Two guys wearing regular street clothes, no hats. At the first public "reunion" of this band in 6 years.

Someone, anyone: Try to tell us that wasn't intentional.

And yes, now RS points out what anyone can see in the photo.

Tacky and unnecessary.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:32:14 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »

Pete Townshend probably told them to do it.

https://youtu.be/gj7ZbfKZ090
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »

Who wore it better?
The striped shirt thing reminds me of going to conferences and getting company t-shirts. Some of us avoided wearing those ugly things.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »

Jeez Al you could have worn a salmon colored shirt tooo!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »

As that photo from 2012 shows, Mike, Bruce and Dave wear the ball caps all the time. It's their thing.

Now, on to my grand shirt theory.

An earlier post noted that Brian threw the seating arrangement out of order. It probably the case that Brian was supposed to sit in Dave's chair, so the look would have been No stripes (Rob) -- stripes (Dave) -- no stripes  (Al) -- stripes (Mike) -- no stripes (Brian) -- stripes (Dave). That also would have seated Brian and Mike next to one another, in the center. Brian's back and reluctance to move simply threw it off.

Another clue? The photo gallery Dave Marks posted suggests he wasn't wearing that striped shirt when he went into Capitol for the day. The stripes were brought in just for the event.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:25:08 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »

They could have all worn matching "Beach Boys Family Reunion" t-shirts instead!  LOL
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »

Without getting into the potential motives of the wardrobe choices, I'll just say that Mike, David and Bruce look ridiculous. If only one of them (doesn't matter who, take your pick) decided to bring out the old-style striped shirt and wear it last night as a nod to the old days that probably would have been kind of cool. Three old men in matching striped shirts and caps?  Not so much.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »

As that photo from 2012 shows, Mike, Bruce and Dave wear the ball caps all the time. It's their thing.

An earlier post noted that Brian threw the seating arrangement out of order. It probably the case that Brian was supposed to sit in Dave's chair, so the look would have been No stripes (Rob) -- stripes (Dave) -- no stripes  (Al) -- stripes (Mike) -- no stripes (Brian) -- stripes (Dave). That also would have seated Brian and Mike next to one another, in the center. Brian's back and reluctance to move simply threw it off.

Another clue? The photo gallery Dave Marks posted suggests he wasn't wearing that striped shirt when he went into Capitol for the day. The stripes were brought in just for the event.

Geez, I hope the shirts were brought in just for the event. You  don't think they go to the grocery store and DMV with those shirts and caps, do you?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »

Shirtgate.
Mike probably brought 'em for everybody, and Brian and Al took a pass.
Anybody wishing this event didn't happen, because of the fact that 3 members wore the same shirt?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »

An earlier post noted that Brian threw the seating arrangement out of order. It probably the case that Brian was supposed to sit in Dave's chair, so the look would have been No stripes (Rob) -- stripes (Dave) -- no stripes  (Al) -- stripes (Mike) -- no stripes (Brian) -- stripes (Dave). That also would have seated Brian and Mike next to one another, in the center. Brian's back and reluctance to move simply threw it off.

Do you think shirts were brought for Brian and Al to wear? If so, how silly is that to expect them to wear shirts with Mike's image on them when they are shirts the Beach Boys are associated with? Hawking Mike's line of shirts is tacky as hell.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »

For the next gathering, Brian plans to bring this shirt and ask everybody to wear one:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »

I said it before and I’ll say it again, they should have worn striped shirts over the 50th. Or at least for the promotional pictures. Instead of wearing the horrible plaid shirts. Looked like a bunch of old ass hillbilly lumberjacks.

Oh and 6 must be the lucky number, they reunite every 6 years. 2006, 2012 & 2018
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:28:59 PM by feelintheflows » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »

Wait, so this event *wasn't* for a tribute band?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:29:39 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx