gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:15:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180514 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »

Just a thought, but if they were to perform with just the 5 Originals then it might be a good idea if Al sang the lead. He clearly has the best voice of all of the remaining boys and the others could sort of do low Harmony behind him. If they were really interested in sounding the best that they could that might be a good way to do it. Kudos to Al cuz it would give him some center stage time as well. Though Doctor Love would probably never go for it
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »

Matt is the best choice for any singing .
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »

but Matt's not a Beach Boy. Heck, if we're going to include the kids, let's get Wendy and Carnie in there, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2018, 01:21:30 AM »

but Matt's not a Beach Boy. Heck, if we're going to include the kids, let's get Wendy and Carnie in there, too.

Not the same thing, obviously. Matt toured for around a decade with the Carl/Al era Beach Boys, and also recorded with them. He has also of course toured regularly with Al and Brian. He was even with Mike in 1998 for a bit after Al was gone.

Having Matt there wouldn't be about having a BB offspring there. It would be about having their best touring band falsetto singer.

There are only three or so people I'd say achieved that rare status of near-Beach Boy or sort of defacto Beach Boy: Billy Hinsche, Foskett, and Matt Jardine. Foskett and Matt tend to fill the same ancillary vocal role, so I'd go with Matt.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2018, 04:19:57 AM »

I'll take Matt everyday over Fosket. Matt sings better and blends better, Foskett just over powers the others, like he did on TWGMTR. The most prominent sound on that collection was Fosket's voice. No thank you.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2018, 06:15:11 AM »

Just a thought, but if they were to perform with just the 5 Originals then it might be a good idea if Al sang the lead. He clearly has the best voice of all of the remaining boys and the others could sort of do low Harmony behind him. If they were really interested in sounding the best that they could that might be a good way to do it. Kudos to Al cuz it would give him some center stage time as well. Though Doctor Love would probably never go for it

Unfortunately (for us), Al is a humble dude and doesn't strong-arm his way in these situations. His voice has been criminally underutilized in just about every setting in the last couple decades. He should have sang more on C50 (and for God's sake let the guy pick a few songs for the setlist); he surely would only get a few leads had he ever re-joined Mike's band, and even in Brian's band, while they understandably can't lean *too heavily* on other lead vocalists for a "Brian Wilson" show, I wouldn't mind more leads (and especially some deep cut leads) from Al in that band. Even in Brian's band, Al's competing for leads with Darian, Matt, and Blondie (all great vocalists, so it's all good).

Any one-song of two-to-five-song set the guys might do at this upcoming event would surely lean on the expected hits (Surfer Girl, Surfin' USA, California Girls, etc.), where Al would likely not get any lead unless they do Rhonda.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »

<<I think he has used the name "The Jan & Dean Show featuring Dean Torrence" or something like that, which I must say is lame. I get WHY he'd need to do that, but unlike a "Jeff Lynne's ELO" type thing where it's describing a different version of a band, Jan's name is right in the name, and it makes his absence all that much more obvious.>>

"The Jan & Dean Show" name legally goes back to 1978.  Dean gave Jan permission to use "Jan & Dean" for his solo tours early that year provided he was billed as "The Jan & Dean Show featuring Jan Berry."  At some venues, including the shows I attended at the Decatur, Illinois "Macon County Light Company" in March of 1978,  the billing was simply "Jan & Dean," on the marquee and in newspaper ads, which caused audiences members to periodically shout "Where's Dean?"  Band members usually replied that Dean was out in their RV.  Later that Spring and early summer, Jan actually toured with a fake Dean.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »

<<I think he has used the name "The Jan & Dean Show featuring Dean Torrence" or something like that, which I must say is lame. I get WHY he'd need to do that, but unlike a "Jeff Lynne's ELO" type thing where it's describing a different version of a band, Jan's name is right in the name, and it makes his absence all that much more obvious.>>

"The Jan & Dean Show" name legally goes back to 1978.  Dean gave Jan permission to use "Jan & Dean" for his solo tours early that year provided he was billed as "The Jan & Dean Show featuring Jan Berry."  At some venues, including the shows I attended at the Decatur, Illinois "Macon County Light Company" in March of 1978,  the billing was simply "Jan & Dean," on the marquee and in newspaper ads, which caused audiences members to periodically shout "Where's Dean?"  Band members usually replied that Dean was out in their RV.  Later that Spring and early summer, Jan actually toured with a fake Dean.

Toured with a fake Dean? That's class, right there.  Grin

I could add some more snark, but it's too easy...some would say certain Beach Boys have been touring with fake...oh, never mind.  Evil

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »

Here's more of Jan & "Dean":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b2H3YjjFaY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2018, 12:27:23 PM »

Toured with a fake Dean? That's class, right there.  Grin

I could add some more snark, but it's too easy...some would say certain Beach Boys have been touring with fake...oh, never mind.  Evil

To be honest, a fake Dean isn't exactly a bad thing. The real one is a bit of a jerk-off.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2018, 11:08:00 PM »

If they end up singing In My Room would be a good choice as the high part is doable for Bruce .  I prefer no others singing especially Foskett who always sings over them and altering the blend

That's also a great choice. I also can't tell if the previous poster was being sarcastic or not about "Friends"...do you really think Mike and Bruce would make public appearances plugging that? They barely touched "Wild Honey" and Mike is all over that record. Plus, David Marks had absolutely 0% involvement.
It's not sarcastic at all. I don't see what is hard to believe about it. All of the surviving members are going to do an interview. Not just Mike and Bruce. There has to be a reason. It must be something big.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2018, 11:44:46 PM »

Yeah it seems crazy that this came out of the blue like this.  Perhaps something has been in the works for a while...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2018, 11:49:23 PM »

This might seem like a dumb question, but has it been confirmed that they'll be doing the interview/Q & A in the same room together?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2018, 02:08:47 AM »

Foskett is not a beach boy but he sure as heck sang lead like he was.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2018, 04:44:08 AM »

This might seem like a dumb question, but has it been confirmed that they'll be doing the interview/Q & A in the same room together?

This link was shared earlier in the thread:

https://blog.siriusxm.com/the-beach-boys-to-give-rare-qa-moderated-by-rob-reiner-for-siriusxm/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2018, 08:31:27 AM »

Maybe they're going to announce that the last six years have been an elaborate mind game on us and they've secretly been working on a new album and tour? Stranger things have happened.

It starts out with Mike hearing the shower going and walks over and opens the door and Brian's there. It's all been just a dream since 2012. LOL.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »

Glastonbury looking very likely now

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »

in your dreams
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »

I'm amazed Melinda is allowing Brian to do this.....my guess is, this was just done for publicity for the SiriusXM Channel, and the current album. No tour is coming, no new album, no performance at the event.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »

Just tossing this out there. Any chance Brian could be announcing his retirement end of the year? That back surgery must have been a b!tch and possibly a wake up call.

He’s earned it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »

Just tossing this out there. Any chance Brian could be announcing his retirement end of the year? That back surgery must have been a b!tch and possibly a wake up call.

He’s earned it.

He has also stated over and over and over again that he has no intention of retiring. For better or worse, I think Brian will be on stage until the last possible moment.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:33:48 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »

I'm amazed Melinda is allowing Brian to do this.....my guess is, this was just done for publicity for the SiriusXM Channel, and the current album. No tour is coming, no new album, no performance at the event.

I suspect Melinda‘s role in this is pretty minimal. Any acrimony between Mike and Brian since 2012 is largely from Mike’s direction. Otherwise, though, I think your comments are spot on.

Nothing will be announced. Nothing is coming of this. This is simply an appearance on satellite radio.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2018, 08:04:38 PM »

and i'm biased, cause I was more of a heavy duty fan during the Foskett years, but I love his singing. Never got why any BB fans wouldn't. Of course it didn't help his popularity when he left Jesus Christ (Brian Wilson) to go work for Satan (Mike Love).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »

And then there were fans like me who didn’t like his voice or his penchant for singing over Brian before he even left to join up with Mike .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »

and i'm biased, cause I was more of a heavy duty fan during the Foskett years, but I love his singing. Never got why any BB fans wouldn't. Of course it didn't help his popularity when he left Jesus Christ (Brian Wilson) to go work for Satan (Mike Love).

Well, at least you got the myKe luHv part of it right.  w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx