gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:54:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180512 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 12:25:24 PM »

Never thought I'd see the day.

Awesome.

I never lose hope (however remote it may be) that there can be some healing and peace, or at least something of a truce.

I cannot imagine they won't sing a note. That seems way too farfetched. My friend just told me that Billy Joel did one of these shows, and he did indeed sing (and there were other artists present other than Joel who performed Joel's songs there too).

Stebbins mentioning the possibility of singing piques my interest, that's for sure.

But I could still envision it being interview-only. It could be similar to their 2012 "Google" event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VY3zbCt24

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »

Thanks to Jerry Schilling, exposure for the band has increased dramatically. Eliot Lott seemed like nothing more than a caretaker.

In addition to the guys performing at this event, what I'd really like to see is another new reunited Beach Boys album - and than a reunited BBs tour.

Don't want to belabor the point, but a quick check shows Mike has a bunch of 2019 dates already booked. I don't think Brian has anything firmly in place for 2019 yet. But I think any sort of full-blown tour seems unlikely any time soon, and the clock is certainly ticking.

I think another reunion would have to involve either Brian placating Mike and co-writing some stuff, or simply avoiding that issue altogether by bypassing another album and just doing a tour, and/or just a few shows.

Normally, I'd say there are a bunch of precedents and logistical issues making a one-off reunion show unlikely. But *among* the scenarios that entail the band doing something together, a one-off (or very short series of shows) seems more likely. The person who has most strongly in the distant past expressed distaste for a one-off situation is Al Jardine, who said several years prior to 2012 that he thought it was a waste to go to all the trouble of putting together a show to only do a show or two, and that such a show should be toured. I agree, but Al is rarely listened to when it comes to the full band, so I'd imagine if both Brian and Mike signed on for one or two reunion shows in mid-late 2019, Al would probably go along.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »

Holy sh*t. This will be the perfect way to go out on

I'd hope for something a bit more elaborate as a true "finale", both in terms of a full show presentation, and something not sponsored by a satellite radio station.

But most definitely, if they did sing at this thing and if that was "it" forever, it would remove a bit of the sour C50 taste. A least a bit.

Quick, someone please get Mike to shave off the mustache for this gig.....   LOL

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »

Never thought I'd see the day.

Awesome.

I never lose hope (however remote it may be) that there can be some healing and peace, or at least something of a truce.

I cannot imagine they won't sing a note. That seems way too farfetched. My friend just told me that Billy Joel did one of these shows, and he did indeed sing (and there were other artists present other than Joel who performed Joel's songs there too).

Stebbins mentioning the possibility of singing piques my interest, that's for sure.

But I could still envision it being interview-only. It could be similar to their 2012 "Google" event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VY3zbCt24

As long as we'll have another moment like this one, I am happy  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »

Holy sh*t. This will be the perfect way to go out on

I'd hope for something a bit more elaborate as a true "finale", both in terms of a full show presentation, and something not sponsored by a satellite radio station.

But most definitely, if they did sing at this thing and if that was "it" forever, it would remove a bit of the sour C50 taste. A least a bit.

Quick, someone please get Mike to shave off the mustache for this gig.....   LOL

I actually prefer Mike's current 'stache to his 'stache + goatee.

Full beard would be cooler though.

Odds that Mike accidentally wears his "Mike Love" logo hat instead of his "Beach Boys" logo hat?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:49:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »

Though not complaining, I’m just wondering why this is happening.  The RPO album is a few months old, as is the Sirius deal. M&B are performing the night before in Illinois then a few days later back out East yet are flying in for a interview? Something they could phone in really.

Is a major announcement coming? (worthy of the group getting together, including David Marks who has not been included in any group project since 2012)

Really, what is there to tell that wasn’t covered during the C50?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:16:07 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »

Though not complaining, I’m just wondering why this is happening.  The RPO album is a few months old, as is the Sirius deal. M&B are performing the night before in Illinois then a few days later back out East yet are flying in for a interview? Something they could phone in really.

Is a major announcement coming? (worthy of the group getting together, including David Marks who has not been included in any group project since 2012)

Regardless of if nothing comes of it (or if something comes of it), hopefully it at least helps give the band name a little more dignity.

This really is proof that decent management, and somebody like Jerry Schilling in particular, is what's been missing for SOOO long, and is a big contributor to the messes that the band has gotten itself into over the years countless times.

A decent manager could've done SO much. Just look at the Rieley era as another example.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:22:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »

As a longtime fan, first concert 1969, I really could care less. It's over. With the exception of Al this is a vocal group that can't sing anymore. It does make me laugh however when I she how giddy everyone gets at the prospect of a useless Q&A.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 06:08:57 PM »

Yeah, I didn’t think the 30th anniversary of Kokomo was such a big deal myself.  LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 06:44:42 PM »

As a longtime fan, first concert 1969, I really could care less. It's over. With the exception of Al this is a vocal group that can't sing anymore. It does make me laugh however when I she how giddy everyone gets at the prospect of a useless Q&A.
If anything further were to come out of this, I would imagine it would just be a tour or a few shows. I can't picture these guys agreeing to do one more album. The RPO thing is selling, probably better than a set of all new songs would.
Whatever. It's just nice that they are speaking to each other again.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »

If anything further were to come out of this, I would imagine it would just be a tour or a few shows. I can't picture these guys agreeing to do one more album. The RPO thing is selling, probably better than a set of all new songs would.

Agreed - I don't really see the benefit of another album at this point.  TWGMTR was the perfect last Beach Boys album, in my opinion (with the perfect last song).  Plus, I would be shocked if Mike would agree to another album with Brian in full control again.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 08:38:29 PM »

didnt realize jerry schilling was back...when did that happen?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:38 PM »

Agreed - I don't really see the benefit of another album at this point.  TWGMTR was the perfect last Beach Boys album, in my opinion (with the perfect last song).  Plus, I would be shocked if Mike would agree to another album with Brian in full control again.
And I seriously doubt Brian's people would be agreeable to a Beach Boys album captained by Mike Love.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 03:49:05 AM »

Blondie Chaplin should be there!
But let's not get too excited about this, guys! Nothing else has been announced. The last two pages are pure conjecture.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2018, 03:50:45 AM »

A Beach Boys album Captain by Mike love? That would be horrific. Just look at his solo album which is terrible. I can't see this getting done anyway because I just don't see Brian and Mike working together again in a productive environment. Interview them and let it be.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2018, 04:32:14 AM »

Disagree that TWGMTR was perfect last album. I'd like if BBs finished with sth. better. "Summer's Gone" is just big joke.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 06:35:35 AM »

Though not complaining, I’m just wondering why this is happening.  The RPO album is a few months old, as is the Sirius deal. M&B are performing the night before in Illinois then a few days later back out East yet are flying in for a interview? Something they could phone in really.

While it's fun to either search for some deeper meaning/message to this event, or fantasize about more reunion activities, from everything I've gathered sniffing around the situation, it's mostly over-analysis. It's just a quick little promo bit. That's the "why." The RPO album and the SiriusXM channel are the newest group projects, and I'm guessing this is the soonest in the last few months they could have all landed in the same place at the same time given both band's touring schedules, Brian recouping from surgery, etc. So that's the "why now?"

Major announcement coming? Pertaining to more reunion activities, I'd guess not.

I'm guessing Schilling put together the whole SiriusXM deal (I posted an article from months back that featured Schilling attending a SiriusXM event regarding Elvis), and someone thought it might be worth trying to corral all the guys for the typical sort of events that a group-focused SiriusXM channel has often featured.

I don't think any future projects (or lack thereof) would have much to do with what's "left to tell" after C50. There's no more or less to tell or do today than there was in September 2012. If they do more archival projects, then that project's purpose is self-evident. Similarly, if somehow they do more reunion activies, it would be for the sake/novelty of doing it (and all the other things that go along with it; money for the band members, thrills for the fans hopefully, etc.).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2018, 06:42:51 AM »

If you happen to be a scholar/historian of the band, the second time in the last 20+ years (outside of C50) that all the guys have been in the same place at the same time is a pretty big deal. More specifically, considering what has gone on post-2012, it's a pretty big deal. As part of the story. Not so much (yet anyway) as far as music and creativity go.

If you have no use for the band anymore and think they can't sing and have nothing left to offer, then you can always keep listening to your 60s records and ignore what goes on in 2018.

This event is clearly at this stage primarily about the novelty and rarity of simply seeing the guys in the same room (the Q&A itself will probably be superfluous for the most part), just as the 2006 event was. It's not Earth-shattering, but it's important in a similar way to, say, uncovering a 1974 photo of Lennon and McCartney together (obviously even rarer of course).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:01:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2018, 06:46:05 AM »

While the RPO album has sold and charted very well in the UK, I'm pretty sure the "That's Why God Made the Radio" album in 2012 sold and charted much higher than the RPO album did in the US. Obviously, it had a whole "50th anniversary" promo machine behind it.

Ironically, considering Mike's hectic touring schedule (gigs scheduled well into 2019), it's not entirely crazy to wonder if, scheduling-wise, it might be easier for all of the guys to record new songs/an album during breaks in touring.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »

Mike probably wouldn't mind if Brian was listed as "Producer" of the album. I think he could be relatively easily placated by some co-writes "from scratch" (even if it was actually Brian bringing in partially-written stuff) along with perhaps a few of his own tunes.

I would imagine Joe Thomas would be where Mike wouldn't want deep involvement, but Brian has apparently already moved away from such heavy, day-to-day involvement with Joe Thomas lately.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »

didnt realize jerry schilling was back...when did that happen?

Schilling's name appeared as BRI President last year on the "Sunshine Tomorrow" set. I believe he came in either in 2016 or 2017. It did kind of slip under the radar; I mentioned it when his name appeared on that set last year after having heard some time prior to that that he had come in. For whatever reason, the BBs/BRI never actually "announced" it.

But long-term, Schilling coming back could be the biggest sort of corporate/logistical news in the BB world outside of C50 in the last 20 or so years.

feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 07:16:31 AM »

Though not complaining, I’m just wondering why this is happening.  The RPO album is a few months old, as is the Sirius deal. M&B are performing the night before in Illinois then a few days later back out East yet are flying in for a interview? Something they could phone in really.

Regardless of if nothing comes of it (or if something comes of it), hopefully it at least helps give the band name a little more dignity.

This really is proof that decent management, and somebody like Jerry Schilling in particular, is what's been missing for SOOO long, and is a big contributor to the messes that the band has gotten itself into over the years countless times.

A decent manager could've done SO much. Just look at the Rieley era as another example.

I kind of feel the good management now is too little too late. They Had the opportunity to stay together as a band after Carl’s death which they didn’t. They reunited for the 50th and released the same greatest hits packages. They could have reunited for the pet sounds 50th which they didn’t. They randomly released 2 disc versions of the Party album and Wild Honey (not their best albums in my opinion). And to top it off the just released orchestra crap. So not really sure what the intention is with Sirius and this Q&A. Start releasing what the die hard fans really want! Live shows from the Blondie and Ricky Era.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2018, 07:20:39 AM »

I kind of feel the good management now is too little too late. They Had the opportunity to stay together as a band after Carl’s death which they didn’t. They reunited for the 50th and released the same greatest hits packages. They could have reunited for the pet sounds 50th which they didn’t. They randomly released 2 disc versions of the Party album and Wild Honey (not their best albums in my opinion). And to top it off the just released orchestra crap. So not really sure what the intention is with Sirius and this Q&A. Start releasing what the die hard fans really want! Live shows from the Blondie and Ricky Era.

The "Sunshine Tomorrow" sets were and are revelatory, *just* the type of archival projects they should be doing.

The "Party" set was a bit limp and less interesting; certainly an important historical article for fans and scholars, but I always looked at that set as just another "Copyright Extension" set that they happened to press onto actual physical discs.

Live shows from the early-mid 70s would be great, but I don't think it's specifically 1972/1973 live shows that hardcore fans want above all else (I mean, it's the ONE part of that era that has decent representation via the "In Concert" album). Studio material from the 70s (and 80s) is really at the top of the list, and opening up the studio and live archives wide would be great. This is likely where Schilling can play a key role, because it indeed isn't likely we're going to see another C50-style reunion any time soon.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:21:37 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »

And regarding Jerry Schilling, and this also plays back into previous discussions of what's going on with the archives and what *should* be put out, etc., let me point out what I can only presume many folks don't know:

It should be noted that Jerry Schilling being considered and voted in as BRI President were both due to several years worth of work behind the scenes by Howie Edelson.

It's early days still for Schilling's tenure at BRI, and already things are improving ("Sunshine Tomorrow", the two epic digital "Sunshine" follow-ups, Schilling getting these guys in the same room!).

Unlike C50 where the sort of inherent momentum of the anniversary seemed (at least in part) to move that project into focus, Schilling must have been key to get all five of these guys back together for this event. It's symbolic, but potentially huge. Meanwhile, we got about SIX OR SEVEN discs worth of archival material last year.

I feel pretty strongly, even if the SiriusXM channel and the RPO albums aren't the items hardcore fans are frothing at the mouth for, those items are strong indicators that Schilling was a smart pick and he can move things in a direction that others in the past haven't. I'm glad Howie worked this behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:09:16 AM by HeyJude » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »

I'm not expecting big things from this, in terms of recording an album or going on tour.
Perhaps getting together for a Christmas song?
What would make it worthwhile for me is for the get together to go well with no bad vibes, that they leave on good terms. That could possibly help heal a bit of the post C50 stuff.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:17:55 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx