gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:28:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180531 times)
leafy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »

https://apnews.com/ce13032fc0ad4097bf6956e952611baa/The-Beach-Boys-to-appear-in-town-hall-with-SiriusXM-fans?utm_medium=APEntertainment&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Interesting...

SiriusXM on Tuesday announced founding members Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine and David Marks along with fellow Beach Boy, Bruce Johnston, will participate in the satellite radio service’s “Town Hall” series.

Award-winning actor and director Rob Reiner will moderate the discussion as the Beach Boys answer questions from a group of SiriusXM listeners at the Capitol Records Tower in Los Angeles on July 30. It’s where they recorded some of their early songs.

Beach Boys’ manager Jerry Schilling says it’s historic because they have not been in the same place since their 50th anniversary shows in 2012.

The event will air on Aug. 10 on SiriusXM’s Beach Boys channel.

{sorry if this has already been posted. I looked and did not see it)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »

holy cow

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »

Someone ask if they will do an impromptu "Their hearts were full of spring" or "Surfer girl". It may be the last chance that the actual Beach Boys could sing together.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:06:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:06:18 AM »

Won-won-wonderful!

Cook pork throughly
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:09:26 AM »

Great!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »

Assuming they do actually all end up doing it in the same room at the same time, this will indeed be the first time Brian and Mike (and Brian and Bruce) have been in the same room (that we know about) since September 2012. It's quite possibly also the first time Al has been in the same room with Mike (and Bruce) since the early 2014 Ella function.

I'd like to think this might get them towards working together again, but I doubt it. Schilling has a better shot at it than most. But remember that when they did their first full group function in eons together in 2006 (that time on *top* of the Capitol building), it was another 5-6 years until they actually got back together.

I highly doubt they'll perform together at this event; for a variety of reasons.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:15:35 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »

I'm also not holding out much hope of great questions considering SiriusXM's vetting process for "Fan Request Line" bits that they've aired so far.

I'm guessing this event will be mostly (much like the 2006 event) about the novelty of seeing them all together again.

My guess is this wouldn't be happening had they not re-hired Jerry Schilling.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:18:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »

I highly doubt they'll perform together at this event; for a variety of reasons.
I'm hearing they might be doing some type of acoustic mini-set like the Grammy museum thing in 2012. But with almost a week to go anything can happen... or not happen.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »

BBs reunion! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 10:17:34 AM »

I'm hearing they might be doing some type of acoustic mini-set like the Grammy museum thing in 2012. But with almost a week to go anything can happen... or not happen.

The short snippets we've seen of that performance definitely makes me want a release of the whole show. And the Rolling Stone accoustic set as well. They sounded so great!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:19:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »

I put a sticky on this one so it's at the top of the page. Big news indeed! I didn't know Rob Reiner was a fan on the level where he'd moderate a Q&A like this.

If Sirius puts out a press release that this is happening, and the AP for one picks up the feed and runs with it, I'd say there are no doubts it's on.

Here is the Sirius release: https://blog.siriusxm.com/the-beach-boys-to-give-rare-qa-moderated-by-rob-reiner-for-siriusxm/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »

If they sing together again, I think I will lose my mind. Even if things go back to Mike/Bruce and Brian/Al shows after this, seeing the guys sing together at least one last time will make me so happy. There's just something so special about having the original members sing together that's so perfect. After C50, I thought the chance of the group doing ANYTHING together was astronomically slim. This is a huge shocker to me.

This makes me wonder if the rumors about the Glastonbury reunion could come true...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »

There's just something so special about having the original members sing together that's so perfect.

The blend is definitely still there (as of 2012). And that blend makes the Beach Boys' special sound

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »

Never thought I'd see the day.

Awesome.

I never lose hope (however remote it may be) that there can be some healing and peace, or at least something of a truce.

I cannot imagine they won't sing a note. That seems way too farfetched. My friend just told me that Billy Joel did one of these shows, and he did indeed sing (and there were other artists present other than Joel who performed Joel's songs there too).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »

Holy sh*t. This will be the perfect way to go out on

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »

How does one obtain tickets for this?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »

Hopefully this will not be a one and done thing as far as hearing this, because my account is not current

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 11:23:20 AM »

Hopefully there will be some type of video uploaded to youtube, either professionally filmed, or fan filmed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »

This makes me wonder if the rumors about the Glastonbury reunion could come true...

Rolling Stone has picked it up and mentions this.

The Q&A will feature fan questions and focus on the Beach Boys’ “SiriusXM channel, their new album, The Beach Boys with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and their celebrated career as one of the world’s most beloved and respected bands.”

...so it could tie in with a Glastonbury/ RPO deal.

My prediction is Mike and Brian will be exactly the same as they were in interviews together back in 2012.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »

Wonder if I can get another Sirius free trial...

The Glastonbury rumors were started by a British tabloid writer speculating about who might play there next year and then asked Mike if he was interested.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:10:30 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »

Wonder if I can get another Sirius free trial...

The Glastonbury rumors were started by a British tabloid writer speculating about who might play there next year and then asked Mike if he was interested.

I've heard that if one signs out of their account and signs up with a new e-mail address, they can get another 30-day trial, at least on the smartphone app.

The annoying thing about the SiriusXM app is that, in my experience, when the free trial ends, they simply log you out of the account and when you try to log in, it simply doesn't work. It doesn't provide any pop-up notice saying "your free trial is over." So you kind of just have to count out the 30 days, and then randomly soon after the app will stop working.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »

Thanks to Jerry Schilling, exposure for the band has increased dramatically. Eliot Lott seemed like nothing more than a caretaker.

In addition to the guys performing at this event, what I'd really like to see is another new reunited Beach Boys album - followed by one or more reunited BBs special appearances, or better yet, a full blown tour.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:43:21 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »

Interesting; that seems to be the most likely scenario if they chose to sing together.

My thinking was that they'd want to save their new "first" reunion musical appearance for something else, something bigger. But if nothing bigger is coming, then maybe they don't view a quickie mini-set as a huge deal.

It looks like both camps are shoehorning this into ongoing tour schedules (especially Mike), so there wouldn't be much rehearsal time.

I'd be curious to know if any ancillary members will be there. I'd be happy with Totten and Matt Jardine (or just Matt if Al and Dave can handle sufficient guitar duties).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »

Rolling Stone has picked it up and mentions this.

The Q&A will feature fan questions and focus on the Beach Boys’ “SiriusXM channel, their new album, The Beach Boys with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and their celebrated career as one of the world’s most beloved and respected bands.”

...so it could tie in with a Glastonbury/ RPO deal.

My prediction is Mike and Brian will be exactly the same as they were in interviews together back in 2012.

As Emdeeh mentioned, the Glastonbury thing was just a case of one paper garbling an interview with Mike and conflating Mike's band with *THE* band in full.

While truly "anything is possible", Mike already has gigs booked into the middle of 2019. I can't imagine any full reunion tour happening before 2020 unless they want to buy off and/or convert a BUNCH of 2019 Mike dates to reunion dates. All of which is getting WAY too far ahead of what's going on, I realize.

But I'm not sure of the logistical/marketing issues involved in actually doing a full-blown reunion show only as a one-off. Mike's band *constantly* touring under the same name creates a constant potential for confusion in the marketplace. But I dunno, maybe a few one-off "reunion" things is how they'd have to test the waters these days.

Or maybe they'll just do this Sirius thing and nothing else. Or maybe it'll just be an interview. Interesting times for sure...

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »

Hopefully this will not be a one and done thing as far as hearing this, because my account is not current

I know SiriusXM archives "events" that can be replayed. I sure hope someone is able to grab this and throw it up on YouTube.

I also hope they have some video cameras there to catch this, especially if they play/sing together.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx