gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180544 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »

I don't see why this would be happening without the pairing of a major announcement...but I don't see a major announcement as an album or tour. I also think anyone that considers for a second that even a fully reunited Beach Boys would be a header during any part of the Glastonbury Festival, is fooling themselves. Besides, as it has been pointed out, Mike's touring is already fairly well outlined through June 2019. But, it is worth noting that he is in the UK in June 2019 as that's where the schedule currently stops. Anyway, I see a major announcement as perhaps something more archival. Perhaps a massive live release or an online resource of unreleased live materials. Perhaps the scrapped box set of the C50 tour that's long overdue. I don't know how many listeners it has attained regularly, but perhaps they're amending the initial Sirius/XM announcement of a limited summer run, and announcing a permanent station for The Beach Boys' channel.

HeyJude also mentioned something that is currently my number one interest (assuming they will perform at least one song together): Where will Jeffrey Foskett be? That's a whole big ball of awkward right there. Say this is their last time singing together as these five Beach Boys...I'd like it to actually be just that. Put Brian or Bruce at the piano to outline vocal parts and have the five sing a simple arrangement of something sweet...just them...warts and all. No sidemen. No Fosketts or Tottens. Mike on Bottom to Bruce's falsetto on top with David, Brian, and Alan in between on something like "Surfer Girl" or "God Only Knows" or "Till I Die". That would be a beautiful thing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 10:08:42 PM »

Maybe they're going to announce that the last six years have been an elaborate mind game on us and they've secretly been working on a new album and tour? Stranger things have happened.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2018, 10:17:50 PM »

Lol that’s not the case but that’d be crazy

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2018, 10:20:22 PM »

I don't see why this would be happening without the pairing of a major announcement...but I don't see a major announcement as an album or tour. I also think anyone that considers for a second that even a fully reunited Beach Boys would be a header during any part of the Glastonbury Festival, is fooling themselves. Besides, as it has been pointed out, Mike's touring is already fairly well outlined through June 2019. But, it is worth noting that he is in the UK in June 2019 as that's where the schedule currently stops. Anyway, I see a major announcement as perhaps something more archival. Perhaps a massive live release or an online resource of unreleased live materials. Perhaps the scrapped box set of the C50 tour that's long overdue. I don't know how many listeners it has attained regularly, but perhaps they're amending the initial Sirius/XM announcement of a limited summer run, and announcing a permanent station for The Beach Boys' channel.

HeyJude also mentioned something that is currently my number one interest (assuming they will perform at least one song together): Where will Jeffrey Foskett be? That's a whole big ball of awkward right there. Say this is their last time singing together as these five Beach Boys...I'd like it to actually be just that. Put Brian or Bruce at the piano to outline vocal parts and have the five sing a simple arrangement of something sweet...just them...warts and all. No sidemen. No Fosketts or Tottens. Mike on Bottom to Bruce's falsetto on top with David, Brian, and Alan in between on something like "Surfer Girl" or "God Only Knows" or "Till I Die". That would be a beautiful thing.

That’d be awesome. I’d imagine it’d be Surfer Girl

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2018, 10:37:29 PM »

This.  Right here.  Heck, I'd be even more tickled to hear Brian on the high parts, warts and all.  Maybe he can still do it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »

This.  Right here.  Heck, I'd be even more tickled to hear Brian on the high parts, warts and all.  Maybe he can still do it.
He could still do it during the C50 tour. He occasionally would go for(and hit) the high notes on Good Vibrations, but Jeff almost always sang over him.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »

As I mentioned, M&B are performing the night before in Illinois.

Please, don’t even think that what could be the last time these 5 do together is an unrehearsed version of anything. I don’t want to hear it. It would be a train wreck and remain forever as there final performance. Just NO!

I’m all for some career live boxset, film, bonus RAH final C50 show etc. Capitol surely have an interest here providing the iconic venue. Let’s see Monday.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2018, 02:34:13 AM »

I don't see why this would be happening without the pairing of a major announcement...

Maybe they do this to celebrate the "Breaking the band" episode about the Beach Boys... You know, "the good times never have to end"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:34:49 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2018, 05:18:03 AM »

It could very well be to announce an archival Friends set.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2018, 05:21:30 AM »

Hey, July has gotten better. We've gotten to the point of getting all five guys in the room, whereas it was this at the beginning of the month:

When did Hulk Hogan join the group?

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2018, 05:55:16 AM »

If they end up singing In My Room would be a good choice as the high part is doable for Bruce .  I prefer no others singing especially Foskett who always sings over them and altering the blend
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2018, 06:03:14 AM »

I'd like to see them do "Add Some Music."
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2018, 06:03:59 AM »

If they end up singing In My Room would be a good choice as the high part is doable for Bruce .  I prefer no others singing especially Foskett who always sings over them and altering the blend

That's also a great choice. I also can't tell if the previous poster was being sarcastic or not about "Friends"...do you really think Mike and Bruce would make public appearances plugging that? They barely touched "Wild Honey" and Mike is all over that record. Plus, David Marks had absolutely 0% involvement.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2018, 06:14:16 AM »

When's Bruce going to do a Q&A panel as part of a "Hot Doggers" reunion? THAT'S the big question.

Let's hope at least we don't have to hear Bruce go *on and on* about the individual credit scores of each "Wrecking Crew" member......

Well considering the other Hot Dogger is Terry Melcher, and he is dead, that might be tough.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »

When's Bruce going to do a Q&A panel as part of a "Hot Doggers" reunion? THAT'S the big question.

Let's hope at least we don't have to hear Bruce go *on and on* about the individual credit scores of each "Wrecking Crew" member......

Well considering the other Hot Dogger is Terry Melcher, and he is dead, that might be tough.

Well, it hasn't stopped "The Beach Boys" post-Dennis/Carl (and Al, and Brian), so you never know.  LOL

Didn't Dean Torrence continue using the "Jan & Dean" name in some form after Jan's death?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2018, 06:25:28 AM »

A Beach Boys album Captain by Mike love? That would be horrific. Just look at his solo album which is terrible. I can't see this getting done anyway because I just don't see Brian and Mike working together again in a productive environment. Interview them and let it be.
Mike's album is pretty good; certainly not any worse than the stuff coming out under Brian's name in recent years.

Some amount of the *material* on Mike's album is okay, meaning scattered tracks on the first disc of "original" material.

But the second disc is awful, some of the tracks on the first disc aren't that great, but more importantly, it has the WORST production of any BB-related product EVER. I've been living with this album for awhile now, and have heard it butted up against a myriad of other BB and solo material on the SiriusXM channel. I now feel quite confident in saying it's the worst production, and the worst *sounding* album in the BB and BB-related catalog.

The Adrian Baker-helmed stuff sounds better (SiriusXM is pretty regularly spinning "Ballad of Ole Betsy" off the NASCAR album, and even *that* sounds like a warm, fuzzy, analogue dream compared to "Unleash the Love").

Say what you want about Brian's solo material; I'm not always enamored with it and his fans *can* be overly-forgiving. But when we're talking about "Unleash the Love", it's not even close. The worst of "No Pier Pressure" has better production. "Run James Run" sounds *wonderful* compared to "Unleash..."

Even *prior* to "Unleash" being released, I was saying it wouldn't have been bad to hear a few solo Mike tracks from that 2004 collection (which ended up re-recorded on "Unleash") as part of the 2012 BB set. I think Al singing "Too Cruel" would have been interesting. A few other Mike tracks from that cache of material would be worth hearing. Indeed, that 2004 set, *as-is*, presumably in rough mix/unreleased form, sounds WAAAAY better than "Unleash." Better performances, better production.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2018, 06:27:25 AM »

A Beach Boys album Captain by Mike love? That would be horrific. Just look at his solo album which is terrible. I can't see this getting done anyway because I just don't see Brian and Mike working together again in a productive environment. Interview them and let it be.
Mike's album is pretty good; certainly not any worse than the stuff coming out under Brian's name in recent years.

The good stuff on Mike’s album is pretty good . Problem is, the production is by far the worst on any Beach Boys related album ever released except possibly the C50 live album . The remake of Warmth of the Sun especially is horrific; Ambha Love has a nice voice, so why did in the hell did producer Michael Lloyd add so much pitch correction that Joe Thomas even shed a tear?

Having constantly heard "Unleash" tracks on SiriusXM, I'd say the autotune is far more egregious than even the C50 live album, where it only sounds prominent on some tracks. As I've mentioned, on "Unleash", there are times where Foskett is so autotuned it starts to sound like a moog synthesizer.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2018, 06:35:20 AM »

Regarding the motive/reason/strategy behind this "reunion" event, I think it's a case of overthinking it if one is assuming the event must portend some big announcement.

From everything I've heard sniffing it out, it seems to have come together relatively quickly, and I'm being told it's just a case of doing a little promo event for the SiriusXM channel. I think the only weird thing is that Schilling has the skill/pull to actually get all the guys there for the event, whereas *maybe* in the past a radio station or the ramshackle "management" of past years may have just assumed it would be easier to just make this another Mike/Bruce promo event (such as the TV promo appearances Mike and Bruce made in the UK in recent months).

They may take this event opportunity to announce anything they might have in the works. I guess they could announce some 1968-themed archival sets, but even if they do, I'd tend to doubt this event was concocted *in order* to promote such sets, as they've been doing archival sets for years now without joint group reunion appearances.

But I wouldn't assume this event must mean some huge, secret thing is in the works.

It's simply a SiriusXM promo event, and it's a potentially good sign for some sort of potential for things going forward. But that's about it. Again, they all got together in 2006 and those that were there like Stebbins said the guys truly seemed to get along and exuded a "group" vibe that was (and is) pretty rare to witness. But even then, nothing much happened after that for a number of years. Al did a dozen or so gigs with Brian in late 2006/early 2007, and then it was all quiet until 2011/2012.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:36:48 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2018, 06:38:31 AM »

If they end up singing In My Room would be a good choice as the high part is doable for Bruce .  I prefer no others singing especially Foskett who always sings over them and altering the blend

Just to throw this in: I'm pretty sure Matt will be around for this event in one form or another.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »

Well, it hasn't stopped "The Beach Boys" post-Dennis/Carl (and Al, and Brian), so you never know.  LOL

Didn't Dean Torrence continue using the "Jan & Dean" name in some form after Jan's death?

I think he has used the name "The Jan & Dean Show featuring Dean Torrence" or something like that, which I must say is lame. I get WHY he'd need to do that, but unlike a "Jeff Lynne's ELO" type thing where it's describing a different version of a band, Jan's name is right in the name, and it makes his absence all that much more obvious.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2018, 06:43:37 AM »

I think he has used the name "The Jan & Dean Show featuring Dean Torrence" or something like that, which I must say is lame. I get WHY he'd need to do that, but unlike a "Jeff Lynne's ELO" type thing where it's describing a different version of a band, Jan's name is right in the name, and it makes his absence all that much more obvious.

The ironic thing about Lynne's new moniker "Jeff Lynne's ELO" is that it makes it sound like one of those off-shoot band names where a former member only has partial naming rights or something (e.g. "Joey Molland's Badfinger"), when in fact Lynne fully owns the ELO name and is presumably adding his name mainly to re-assert his own name, and perhaps also so that people know it's the legit version and not the "ELO Part II" band from the 90s or the subsequent off-shoot "The Orchestra."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2018, 06:45:20 AM »

If they end up singing In My Room would be a good choice as the high part is doable for Bruce .  I prefer no others singing especially Foskett who always sings over them and altering the blend

Just to throw this in: I'm pretty sure Matt will be around for this event in one form or another.

Matt being there with the five main guys would not only be the best musical decision, it would *feel* right, as Matt was essentially a de facto full-fledged member in all but name in the 90s, even more so than Foskett was in the 80s.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »

Jude, agree 100% about Matt, and his rightful place alongside the originals nowadays. He sounds much better in the blend than Fosket, doesn't sing over the others like Fosket, and has Beach Boy blood in him. And he does a stupendous Job! Let's hope Matt is there.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »

Jude, agree 100% about Matt, and his rightful place alongside the originals nowadays. He sounds much better in the blend than Fosket, doesn't sing over the others like Fosket, and has Beach Boy blood in him. And he does a stupendous Job! Let's hope Matt is there.

+1

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »

I think Matt being there (on stage anyway) would also only happen if they do in fact perform a song (or songs), and I would guess that's still up in the air.

From everything I've been able to tell, I would expect either a *very brief* set of one or a few songs, or none at all. Looking back, they did five songs at the Grammy museum in 2012 near the end of the reunion tour. I'd be surprised (pleasantly, assuming they pull it off well) to see even that long of a performance.

Mike and Bruce will presumably be flying in from a gig in Illinois the night before, leaving (again, all guessing) the morning of the 30th for any rehearsals/soundcheck.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx