gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:30:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everyone back together for a Beach Boys Q&A for Sirius XM?  (Read 180498 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2018, 04:48:12 PM »

I'm on board for probably most if not all of Reiner's politics. Sean Hannity shouldn't be anywhere near a BB event, and never would thankfully.

Could you imagine that? Hannity calling none of the Boys ever playing on any of their records and Mike writing all the songs a proven fact? I can see a version of "Our cartoon president"'s Hannity having the BBs as guests, though  LOL

There's nothing else to say - LOL
nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 17, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »

I'm on board for probably most if not all of Reiner's politics. Sean Hannity shouldn't be anywhere near a BB event, and never would thankfully.

But Reiner hosting this event is actually quite a bit like Ron Howard's work on the Beatles "Eight Days a Week" film: Bland, inoffensive, and someone who can get the job done without any hiccups.

Leaving his politics 100% to one side I don't think this is entirely fair. Howard's knowledge of, and relationship with, The Beatles is nothing like Reiner's with the BBs. While Reiner dominated the intro he then settled very, very well into the interview and used his knowledge to augment the band's answers. It was pretty impressively done and I'd love to hear him interview them again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: August 20, 2018, 07:48:36 AM »

But Reiner hosting this event is actually quite a bit like Ron Howard's work on the Beatles "Eight Days a Week" film: Bland, inoffensive, and someone who can get the job done without any hiccups.

Leaving his politics 100% to one side I don't think this is entirely fair. Howard's knowledge of, and relationship with, The Beatles is nothing like Reiner's with the BBs. While Reiner dominated the intro he then settled very, very well into the interview and used his knowledge to augment the band's answers. It was pretty impressively done and I'd love to hear him interview them again.

Reiner's work on the Q&A was pretty darn similar to how I'd characterize Howard's work on the Beatles film. Professional, competent, and with an eye towards general, non-fan and casual-fan audiences. In both cases, a deep, intricate familiarity on the part of Reiner or Howard, or the audiences for those projects, was not needed.

In both cases, there was some pretty clichéd, sort of filler commentary. Objectively, it was a bit odd to refer to "the genius, Brian Wilson." As I've said, I'm firmly of the belief that if such a thing as a genius exists, Brian is one. But the way Reiner introduced Brian sounded kind of like introducing George Harrison at an event as "the quiet Beatle." Brian's super broad-stroke, one-word encapsulation as "the genius" may be on its face more flattering than others that one might get (e.g. calling Mike "the TM guy" or something), but it's just as overly-simplistic and I'd argue kind of weirdly patronizing.

But I'm just nitpicking. Reiner was fine, and as I've probably already said, you kind of need a mainstream sort of "Larry King" format for such a show.

But I do think there are a small number of people who fit all the bills Reiner did, if not more so, such as knowing all the members, being trusted by all the members, knowing how to moderate an event, knowing how to interview, and knowing how to make the event for a "wide" audience, but yet are also well-versed experts. Howie Edelson and Alan Boyd would be two obvious examples. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ClassicShowsFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 11, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »

Was there another town hall on SiriusXM yesterday?
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:07 AM »

Can the whole thing be viewed anywhere?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 01, 2020, 10:13:36 AM »

Can the whole thing be viewed anywhere?

Finally!

https://youtu.be/M53fYrwnQF8
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 28, 2020, 03:13:56 AM »

Oh thank goodness! I have SiriusXM now, but didn’t at the time and I have been waiting years to hear this. I read a transcript at one point, but I’ve always wanted to hear the boy’s voices. I just spent an hour in heaven hearing a “new to me” interview with The Beach Boys, at this point it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. I wish a four hour uninterrupted interview could be done to capture all these guys stories before they’re gone. Hell, I could listen to Al, Mike, Brian and Dave just talk about 1962 for four hours let alone the rest of the epic tale.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 08, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »

THANK YOU!

And thank you Les
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 29, 2021, 05:19:56 AM »

I just heard this on the 60’s On 6. Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys Channel will be returning to Sirius/XM starting July 2!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Hangon10
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 02, 2021, 01:22:21 AM »

Hopefully there will be some type of video uploaded to youtube, either professionally filmed, or fan filmed.

I won't be listening to this as  I live in the UK ,  the band are what we call in the UK 'past their sell by date' they were great back in the 60s but now things have changed, we have COVID 19 to deal with, which makes me wonder why on earth are they doing concerts when this pandemic is still around? as one health expert here in the UK said 'COVID likes crowds'   even if they are sitting in  cars, there will be times when people will interact, and that's when the problems start. Here in the UK not many outdoors music gigs are taking place ( Glastonbury  is one of them).  Its a shame, we've had nearly 2 years of restrictions and it will be some time before any kind of  normality will return.
Hangon10
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 02, 2021, 01:32:18 AM »

I won't be  listening to this as I live in the UK. In my view the band are what we call in the UK 'past their sell by date' they were great in  the 60s, but now with COVID 19  to contend with things are not the same. Glastonbury won't be taking place  this year, the same goes for a local  music event where I live and yet the BB are doing concerts in the open air, although people are sitting in  their cars  and social distancing is being implemented , what about the band? have they been vaccinated? I doubt if Mike has. As one health expert here in the UK said 'COVID likes crowds. In my view its time to call it a day BB, but it'll  take some convincing for them to do that!!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 02, 2021, 07:42:33 PM »

Hopefully there will be some type of video uploaded to youtube, either professionally filmed, or fan filmed.

I won't be listening to this as  I live in the UK ,  the band are what we call in the UK 'past their sell by date' they were great back in the 60s but now things have changed, we have COVID 19 to deal with, which makes me wonder why on earth are they doing concerts when this pandemic is still around? as one health expert here in the UK said 'COVID likes crowds'   even if they are sitting in  cars, there will be times when people will interact, and that's when the problems start. Here in the UK not many outdoors music gigs are taking place ( Glastonbury  is one of them).  Its a shame, we've had nearly 2 years of restrictions and it will be some time before any kind of  normality will return.

I hate to break it to you, but you’re responding to two different things at once. This SiriusXM reunion was 3 years ago - for the first stint of the limited edition SiriusXM channel. The channel is back, but there are no new reunions scheduled for it. While it’s you that Mike and Bruce (and now Brian, Al, and Blondie starting later this month) are still performing while possible, and I do agree with you that it’s not safe enough for concerts yet, these are two separate discussion topics. Mike and Bruce don’t care about case numbers and will play even if they dropped dead on stage. Brian, Al, and Blondie I’m surprised about because if their ages and the pandemic; not that M&B aren’t up there too, but we know how that will turn out.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2022, 09:10:06 AM »

I’m bumping this because I just saw on the ESQ Facebook page that The Beach Boys Channel (channel 105) will be returning on July 1 for another 2 month run.

I kinda figured that it would return this year with the Sounds Of Summer reissue.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: June 30, 2022, 09:47:30 AM »

I’m bumping this because I just saw on the ESQ Facebook page that The Beach Boys Channel (channel 105) will be returning on July 1 for another 2 month run.

I kinda figured that it would return this year with the Sounds Of Summer reissue.

Yeah it only makes sense to acknowledge their 60th anniversary.  Here's hoping their playlist is a little less scattershot than it has been in the past.  It was a little jarring to hear something like a Dennis Wilson track followed by "Chug-a-Lug".  I could only entertain that channel for no more than a few minutes on most occasions.  But glad it's back regardless. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 27, 2023, 08:32:57 PM »

So I heard a rumor that the Beach Boys channel is coming back to Sirius XM.  I did some poking around and found this (scroll all the way down).

https://www.siriusxm.com/channels/siriusxm-104

Last year, offiical word went out on 6/29, which the channel starting on 7/2.  So there might be an announcement tomorrow if the channel is staring in the wee hours of Thursday. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 29, 2023, 01:07:04 AM »

Yes, according to Al’s FB, it’s on starting today.

Listening now - Dennis singing Wild Situation  Cheesy

Followed by Surf’s Up …

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx