gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:30:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vocal on 'Til I Die Tag  (Read 3590 times)
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2018, 05:23:41 PM »

I've got this question burning in my head these latest days:

In "These things I'll be UNtil I die", who are really singing the "Un"-part in Until? There is this voice that seems (to my ears) to becoming more and more scruffier toward the end. You can hear this more louder and clearer "UN" at 2:22. In the 2009-Remastered version of "'Til I Die", that is on Spotify, you'll be able to hear that last scruffy "UN" through your left headphone/speaker.

I can hear this voice in almost every other "UN",for example in the right headphone/speaker at 1:49 in the version earlier mentioned. But these ones are not as clear as the last one.

Could it be Jack Riley? Could it be some wierd instrumental going on at the same time, making this "scruffier" sound?

Or is it just my ears?  Roll Eyes

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »

I was more interested in who sings in the tag the complete "Until I Dieeeee". Listening to it yesterday on Serius, I too was wondering if it was Jack Reiley, as it sounds a bit like him and a bit unlike Brian or Dennis, the only 2 Boys it could possibly be.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:48:06 AM »

I was more interested in who sings in the tag the complete "Until I Dieeeee". Listening to it yesterday on Serius, I too was wondering if it was Jack Reiley, as it sounds a bit like him and a bit unlike Brian or Dennis, the only 2 Boys it could possibly be.

If it's the line I'm thinking of, I discussed this once with Alan Boyd, and we believe it's Carl. It sounds a bit different than he would normally sound, but we think it's him. I don't believe Dennis is on this one - it was recorded while he was away filming "Two Lane Blacktop". Not that he couldn't have added a part when he returned, but I don't think he did.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:06:57 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »

If it's the line I'm thinking of, I discussed this once with Alan Boyd, and we believe it's Carl. It sounds a bit different than he would normally sound, but we think it's him. I don't believe Dennis is on this one - it was recorded while he was away filming "Two Lane Blacktop". Not that he couldn't have added a part when he returned, but I don't think he did.

c-man, this is very interesting.

Do you have a rough list of some other songs that are vocally missing one or more BB members? (Not referring to "solo" vocal songs like Caroline, No, but songs where there's a vocal blend, and where avid BB listeners might have assumed for years that all the group was singing, and it would be a surprise, like with 'Til I Die, that someone is missing from the blend.)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:43:59 AM »

Do you have a rough list of some other songs that are vocally missing one or more BB members? (Not referring to "solo" vocal songs like Caroline, No, but songs where there's a vocal blend, and where avid BB listeners might have assumed for years that all the group was singing, and it would be a surprise, like with 'Til I Die, that someone is missing from the blend.)

Well...Mike's absent from a few Friends songs like "Little Bird", "Friends", "When A Man Needs A Woman", and "Be Here In The Mornin'" (his spot on the latter was filled by Murry). And on the Sunflower album, all of the vocals on "Forever" were reportedly sung by the Wilson brothers initially (then Mike was added in a few spots for the final mix), while on "Our Sweet Love", I just hear Brian, Carl, and Al. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »

Well...Mike's absent from a few Friends songs like "Little Bird", "Friends", "When A Man Needs A Woman", and "Be Here In The Mornin'" (his spot on the latter was filled by Murry). And on the Sunflower album, all of the vocals on "Forever" were reportedly sung by the Wilson brothers initially (then Mike was added in a few spots for the final mix), while on "Our Sweet Love", I just hear Brian, Carl, and Al. 

Interesting. And all of those Friends songs without Mike's vocals are due to his India trip with The Beatles, right?
I wonder if Murry would have come into the studio to sing had Mike not gone to India.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »

Interesting. And all of those Friends songs without Mike's vocals are due to his India trip with The Beatles, right?
I wonder if Murry would have come into the studio to sing had Mike not gone to India.

A recent auction lot revealed a letter which Brian Wilson wrote to the Maharishi explaining how Mike was needed to come back to the states to work on the album. If I can find the actual letter or text of that letter, I'll post it.

But yeah, Mike was MIA studying meditation when the album was being worked on in the states and a letter exists asking the Maharishi to allow him to come back.

Not sure if that lines up with tracks where Mike is not involved, but it wouldn't be surprising if that was the reason he's not on those tracks.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »

A recent auction lot revealed a letter which Brian Wilson wrote to the Maharishi explaining how Mike was needed to come back to the states to work on the album. If I can find the actual letter or text of that letter, I'll post it.

But yeah, Mike was MIA studying meditation when the album was being worked on in the states and a letter exists asking the Maharishi to allow him to come back.

Not sure if that lines up with tracks where Mike is not involved, but it wouldn't be surprising if that was the reason he's not on those tracks.

I'm wondering if any of the following approximates what happened:

-Brian really wanted (and felt the real need for) Mike to be present so that the vocal blend would sound normal the way Brian always was used to it sounding

-Brian felt he needed Mike's input in a songwriting or "bouncing ideas off Mike" capacity

-Brian feared Mike's potential wrath if a bunch of songs were finished up without Mike present, and then having Mike complain about stuff Mike didn't like after songs were already near completion upon Mike's return

-all of the above

(while I wish I didn't have to add this note, I'll add it anyway: none of this is intended as "bashing", but are all legit questions I'm pondering)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:44:43 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »

The timeline of when those songs were recorded does indeed line up with the time Mike was in India.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 08:46:51 AM »

GF, I found the auction page for that letter, but it doesn't have the text.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/52960769_brian-wilson-handwritten-letter-to-maharishi

Interesting that it was found in Milton Love's dresser drawer. No one thought to look inside before selling the dresser?!

There's also this article about the items. The handwriting in the photo is attributed to Brian but refers to Brian in the third person and sounds more like Mike.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2017/05/26/lost-memoirs-photos-of-the-beach-boys-up-for-auction/

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »

I might also add that the group recorded their vocals on "Wake The World" without Mike, but it seems his voice was added to that one upon his return.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »

I might also add that the group recorded their vocals on "Wake The World" without Mike, but it seems his voice was added to that one upon his return.

I guess that was maybe a more simple/natural  thing to do, since Mike usually sang separately into a different microphone,  even if he was present at the same time the group did vocal harmonies, right?

Were there any other times were a member other than Mike added their vocals at a later point to harmonies, as opposed to singing them all together?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx