gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:57:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love/touring group Christmas album  (Read 27725 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »

Itunes apparently really wants people to know when ALL LOVE is guesting on the songs. Look at how many times they repeatedly and redundantly inform the listener.

ALLLLL LOOOOVE!!!  ALLLLL LOOOOVE!!!  ALLLLL LOOOOVE!!!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:12:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 01:55:14 PM »

A (tacky) lyric video has dropped for the title track: https://youtu.be/O0OI5voRq1w

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »

Here are my thoughts...

Autotune is prevalent on a couple tracks (specifically Little St Nick), probably the ones Michael Lloyd produced.

Tracks 8-12, produced by Scott Totten, sound very nice.

The vocals on this entire album are honestly pretty good. Not perfect BBs in 1965 quality, but definitely solid vocals and harmonies that still do remind me of that classic BBs sound. Mike's vocals can be a little shaky here and there, but you gotta give the guy credit, considering his age.

Is this album a masterpiece? No. Did anything blow me away? No. But would I listen to it again? Definetly. It's a cheerful, positive, and well put together album.

... However, I will ALWAYS take The BBs Christmas Album over this!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »

A (tacky) lyric video has dropped for the title track: https://youtu.be/O0OI5voRq1w

On the plus (?) side, the animated meditating cartoon of Mike Love could be the start of a sequel to the unproduced Beach Boys cartoon from the early '70s.

Looks like they took the Rolling Stone "Ballad of Mike Love" photo of Mike (wearing a Beach Boys hat), flipped its direction, and Photoshopped out the BBs hat in favor of a Love hat. No comment.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:57:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »

I like how Apple Music thinks Beach Boy Mike Love and reggae Mike Love are the same person.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2018, 08:11:21 PM »

Itunes apparently really wants people to know when ALL LOVE is guesting on the songs. Look at how many times they repeatedly and redundantly inform the listener.

ALLLLL LOOOOVE!!!  ALLLLL LOOOOVE!!!  ALLLLL LOOOOVE!!!

Must be a trait of the MELECO managers.  Grin

https://www.nevada-register.com/448166-meleco-records-inc

The company MELECO RECORDS, INC. is managed by 10 persons in total. The persons responsible for business activities are MICHAEL E LOVE with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as President , MICHAEL E LOVE with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Director , MICHAEL E LOVE with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as President , MICHAEL E LOVE with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Director , JACQUELYNE PIESEN with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Secretary , JACQUELYNE PIESEN with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Treasurer , JACQUELYNE PIESEN with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Director , JACQUELYNE PIESEN with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Secretary , JACQUELYNE PIESEN with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Treasurer , JACQUELYNE PIESEN with the seat at PO BOX 7684, INCLINE VILLAGE, 89452, NV as Director .
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »

Bought and gave this a good listen yesterday... I do not hate this! It's nothing brilliant but is a nice mix of traditional and semi-originals done fairly well.  Only little Saint Nick stands out as really weak and it is one of the M Lloyd productions (autotune). I will happily put that CD in a mix with Brian's Christmas CD and I think they will both stand up together as one charming Christmas listening collection this Christmas. Cheesy

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »

doc smiley, I couldn't agree more. The album actually holds up very well. Overall, the production is an improvement UTL (disc two, specifically). The originals aren't really mind blowing, but they work and they're fun to listen to. The traditional songs sound really nice; to my knowledge, those were the ones produced by Scott Totten.

To see two Mike Love solo albums in two years, especially for a guy his age, is pretty remarkable. Mike gets a lot of flack on here, and a lot of it well deserved, but you've gotta hand it to him- two albums in two years at 77 years old is quite the feat.

If Mike decides to release another album, or at least more music, I would be very happy to see Scott Totten take the production role again. The vocals are pretty pitch corrected, but it's more along the lines of what we've become accustomed to with many recent BBs/Brian solo releases like TWGMTR and NPP. (BW88 even used primative forms of pitch correction I believe) Other than Little Saint Nick, which as mentioned above, has that Michael Lloyd UTL Disc Two sound, the production on this album is very nice.

The fact that much of this album features Mike's family all singing together, definitely gives the record a Beach Boys vibe  (Away In a Manger, particularly). Autotuned harmonies of Mike's kids will obviously never match The BBs in their mid-60's prime, but there's just something magical about family singing together ......I guess I'm just a sentimental sap? LOL

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »

I thought Brian was the one that has an obsession with "Shortening Bread"...  LOL
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »

I just noticed (and won’t be able to unhear) an editing mistake with the BG vocals on “Jingle Bell Rock” at about 1:05. (Otherwise, flawless album Wink)

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2018, 11:44:37 PM »

I thought Brian was the one that has an obsession with "Shortening Bread"...  LOL

Disc 2?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2018, 07:53:17 PM »

Disc 2?

Reason For The Season single
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2018, 02:08:43 PM »

Mike Love on “The Beach Boys” Tours & his New Holiday Album "Reason for the Season"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twwxiNDjn9Q

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2018, 07:00:07 AM »

Reason For The Season

https://www.billboard.com/
Week of November 10th:

Top Album Sales: #39
Holiday Albums: #5
Holiday Album Sales: #4
Independent Albums: #6 (UTL peaked at #37)
Heatseekers Albums: #3 (UTL peaked at #2).

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »

Just to be clear, "Top Album Sales" is different from the main "Billboard 200" album chart, which is the sort of de facto/main album chart.

The main difference is that one is pure album sales, while the main "Billboard 200" factors in streaming (as well as "regular" sales as well).

Long story short, not surprisingly, the people buying Mike's album skew older and far fewer stream his stuff. So much so that the album doesn't even appear in the Top 200.

There aren't a ton of comparisons to make in the BB world, as this chart tabulation process began in 2014. But, for instance, Brian's "No Pier Pressure" made it to #14 on the "Top Album Sales" chart, and #28 on the "Billboard 200." So, as with most "legacy" artists, his physical sales outpaced streaming, but a good amount of people must have still streamed stuff from the album, as he still saw a solid placement on the "200" chart.

It's a bit difficult to navigate the data on Billboard's site, but it appears "Unleash the Love" didn't make it to either the "Top Album Sales" chart or the "Billboard 200", only appearing on the Indie and Heatseeker chart.

It's quite possible if not likely that his Xmas album is selling more than "Unleash the Love."

This is the often lucrative "legacy artists recording holiday music" format they tried cashing in on with that "Songs from Here and Back" CD exclusive to Hallmark in 2006.

I'm curious if the sales figures for the new Xmas album include copies bundled with tickets, which can *sometimes* be counted under certain circumstance (for instance, I believe one has to be able to buy a ticket *without* the bundled album for a lower price than the bundle).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »

The traditional songs sound great. Just about the rest of the tracks sound ok, minus Mike's vocals, which sound like they were recorded with the iPhone's Voice Recorder app during a bus drive and texted to the producer.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2018, 04:26:28 AM »

Been generously sent free zip file with the album past week by nice fellow BBs fan. As I said I don't buy any music, they bought & made zip file with mp3s. Listened few times, will not do track-by-track.
1stly, many posters commented Christian sounds like Carl. To my ears, he doesn't.
The other thing I paid attention to is Ambha's voice doesn't suit to singing Christmas music. It's not the deal about it not being Christmasey, it just, at least in carols she sang, ruins them. Then again, I ain't no fan of her vocal stylings.
As to Mike's singing, it's fine, it's passable, would be nice if he sang each song alone, without extra voices & muddy-like harmonies.
Title track doesn't capture Christmas mood - I suspect why, the main piano riffing - the bass - brings back stupid popular Vince Guaraldi song which iir is Christmas song but to me - to me - it doesn't seem that way. Nice rhythm still.
"Jingle Bell Rock" is best by Randy Travis, no contest.
AOCD is best here. Hate version by Phoenix. "Must Be Christmas" is so not my thing it's not even funny. "Celestial" is slight, didn't leave impression. Except cool marching drums intro, "Do You Hear" didn't like due to reason I state before, i.e. Mike's kids' vocs. But, I didn't like the 80s with Mary MacGregor either. I wish "Have Yourself Very Merry Christmas" would be remade with new vocs but the same lively joyful tempo & included instead, say, of "Away In A Manger" which again, due to vocals, didn't like. Besides my idea of perfect Christmas song is joyful, fast, festive, catchy, cool, to name few tags.
Bottom line:  could be muchly better without featuring "All Love", just Mike will do. Song choices to cover whilst they're interesting, some, obscure (as I said before, I didn't hear about Hanson. Yep, I didn't) but traditional yearly songs everybody & their brother covers like "O Holy Night" should be replaced by such popular funfests as "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" & "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". Mike could just lower the key & it'll be great fun finish tracks. As is, RFTS will be 2/5.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:28:03 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2018, 03:06:01 AM »

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »

What the hell??

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »

OSD 1971 flashback? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:05 PM »

OSD 1971 flashback? Grin

LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »

Frankly, I really don't care much for his Christmas CD; I think his voice sounds pretty lame now, as do most fo the originals. But I thought the best songs were the All Love ones. At least vocally. That being said, still not saying much.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2018, 06:17:29 AM »

Listened again, initial review stays - Mike could sing it *without anybody*, the album would improve , I tells ya. police Forget fam, ha. Tongue It's best to hear just Mike than his kids, esp. Ambha. Christian doesn't sing good either to these ears.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2018, 07:00:42 AM »

Must admit, I bought the downloads of the half dozen ' regular' songs . Whilst the family sing okay, I prefer to hear the artiste themselves, not guests.  I find the trad songs are  well produced  but not distinctive arrangements.  My one and only quibble with the ones I bought , is that someone is screeching off-key on " Must be Christmas" and spoilt what could have been a great track.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »

1stly, many posters commented Christian sounds like Carl. To my ears, he doesn't.

I agree with you, Christian sounds like he's related to Carl, but he doesn't sound just like him. In fact, I'd go even further and say that Christian's sister Hayleigh sounds more like Carl, in terms of intonation and emotion. She is an excellent singer, in my book.

"Jingle Bell Rock" is best by Randy Travis, no contest.

Yes, ma'am -- I agree 100% with that assessment!

Only two more days before I can finally give the album a listen. I am patient.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:36:53 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx