gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:08:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love/touring group Christmas album  (Read 27721 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 02:03:07 AM »

I kind of like mike embracing his age. The mustache looks good on him for a change, too.
Mike embraced his age before just fine without the ugly mustache. It doesn't fit his type face. He'd better delete it. As to Christmas album - like Christmas music, curious what Mike & co. cover.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 06:51:43 AM »

Also...how could anyone be excited by this garbage?...

A quick look at this recording service indicates it appears to be a pretty new business, run by a pretty young guy, in a relatively remote location. I don't sense he's had a bunch of A-listers coming through his doors. Mike may well be the biggest name to use his facilities.

It also appears the company/guy does mainly mixing and mastering, and "partners" with an outside local recording studio for any actual recording needs.

For whatever reason, Mike seems to like to do his solo recording on the fly while on the road, and on the (relative) cheap. Not trying to denigrate anybody looking to get into the business. But I'm guessing "231" is significantly cheaper than hiring Mark Linett to be your engineer at Capitol Studios or Ocean Way, and cheaper than having Bob Ludwig do the mastering, etc.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:53:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »

https://mikelove.com/?attachment_id=2456
Is it just me, or is this Shortenin Bread.....
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »

Sure sounds like short'nin bread to me. It also sounds terrible.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »

I'm not feeling "reason for the season" at all, but I kind of knew I wouldn't going in with a title like that. With that being said, I wasn't expecting shortenin' bread version 6 or so in the band's discography. Production is miles better than Mike's last album, so I still have a little hope that I'll enjoy a couple of tracks off of it.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »

Sure sounds like short'nin bread to me. It also sounds terrible.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Sad, desperate and just downright awful. Yes, of course, it's a Mike Love engineered pathetic version of Shortnin' Bread and yes, it stands right next to Unleash The Love, and it's twin SIP. I guess he really gets off on being ignored and recording trash that no one cares about. Just goes to show that without a good composer, he's dead in the water. He should stick to his tribute band playing 900 dates a year singing songs that the real Beach Boys did 50 years ago.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 10:49:51 PM »

So for those that know. What’s the legalities of Music plagiarism and this song?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 11:37:31 PM »

So for those that know. What’s the legalities of Music plagiarism and this song?

Shortenin' Bread is a traditional song in the public domain.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »

Much better production and vocal. Hanson xmas song sounded really cluttered production wise and unsuited to his voice.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »

Yeah, definitely not what I was expecting! It's so bizarre, I grudgingly kind of like it.  Huh

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »

Yeah, definitely not what I was expecting! It's so bizarre, I grudgingly kind of like it.  Huh

I kinda like it too. If it was Brian, I definitely would like it as a quirky Brian thing. So count me in on this one. That doesn't mean it's much more than a trifle, but I don't mind it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:20:44 PM by Jim V. » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

Shortenin' Bread is a traditional song in the public domain.

Thanks CM. So in that case I assume the lyric is able to be changed as well.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »

Took whopping 18 minutes to download mere 4Mb mp3 track. Anyhoo, listened to it twice. Nice. In short, it will not be new song added to Christmas playlist. But, as Christmas music fan & glass half full type, I suspect there'll be few gems in RFTS.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »

Get the 12-track album Reason for the Season – featuring an array of new holiday songs and Christmas classics that range from bright guitar and horn-filled pop and rock and tracks, and softer traditional carols and ballads. Sam Hollander (One Direction, Panic! at the Disco, Train) and Steve Greenberg (Hanson, AJR) produced five tracks on the album including the jubilant title track and the buoyant anthems “It Must Be Christmas” and “Finally it’s Christmas” featuring Hanson.

Grammy-winning producer Michael Lloyd (Dirty Dancing) and The Beach Boys’ musical director Scott Totten also served as producers on the album.  Lloyd produced two tracks including a new version of “Alone on Christmas Day” and “Little St. Nick.” Totten collaborated with Love on five additional tracks featuring all of Love’s children (All Love) Ambha, Brian, Christian and Hayleigh Love on “Do You Hear What I Hear,” “O Come All Ye Faithful,” “O Holy Night,” “Away in a Manger” and “Bring a Torch.”

Reason for the Season is out October 26th on digital, CD, and LP formats.

So, the good news for those who found Lloyd's production on the remakes disc of Unleash The Love a bit...distasteful, is that he seems to be down to two tracks here.

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:39 PM »

Let’s not get too excited for the album’s release tomorrow.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »

Huh. I'm not a fan, but I just skimmed through and it's not exactly what I was expecting. "Celestial Celebration" feels very much like 15 big ones era beach boys.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »

Huh. I'm not a fan, but I just skimmed through and it's not exactly what I was expecting. "Celestial Celebration" feels very much like 15 big ones era beach boys.

I'm avoiding listening to the whole thing until about Thanksgiving, but it's a pretty interesting track sequencing that mirrors the Beach Boys Christmas Album. As expected, the vocals are overly processed, but actually listenable this time. The processing on "celestial celebration" actually works.

The last 5 tracks of the album do nothing for me, but I can't be angry at Mike for wanting to do some tracks with his family at this point in his career.

Edit: I listened another time and aside from brickwalled compression, I'm kind of wishing that more of TWGMTR's vocals were produced like that one track.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:13:55 PM by thatjacob » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 11:50:40 PM »

I'm probably going to be in the minority on this, but if Reason For The Season had been part of the unreleased mid 70's Beach Boys Christmas album, it probably would have been one of the highlights. I like it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2018, 01:33:54 AM »

On Spotify now. Just started listening...anyone have a list of the writing/production credits?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2018, 01:54:05 AM »

I'm probably going to be in the minority on this, but if Reason For The Season had been part of the unreleased mid 70's Beach Boys Christmas album, it probably would have been one of the highlights. I like it.

I enjoy it.  I could do without all the religious references. Don't have a problem with religion but think it just detracts from the fun element of the song here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:55:26 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:34 AM »

On Spotify now. Just started listening...anyone have a list of the writing/production credits?

Just right click on the track in spotify and you can access the credits!
Songs 8-12 are produced by Scott Totten

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 02:58:23 AM »

Just right click on the track in spotify and you can access the credits!
Songs 8-12 are produced by Scott Totten

Thanks!

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »

Gave it a wee listen. My thoughts are that it is very honest.
It's the kind of music a family would be able to record at home in that it has a sort of joyful amateurish edge to it. The vocals have that flavour of being auto-tuned through some in-built macbook air recording function.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »

This appears to be the 1st Mike Love solo album (released or unreleased) that does not have a "Love" pun in the title.
Way to mess up a streak of consistency, Mike. LOL

I'll say this: Mike seems to be well on his way to tipping the scales to finally having more released solo albums as opposed to unreleased ones. Not sure he's crossed that threshold yet?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:42:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2018, 12:02:29 PM »

You know what? I commend Mike for tackling a song that seems to be right at the edge of his vocal range(Reason For The Season). That the man is damn near 80 makes it even more remarkable.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx