gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:15:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys and Beatles: songs that resemble the other's  (Read 5970 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2006, 07:38:49 AM »

While re-watching the Anthology DVDs again the other night, I started thinking about how most pop writers and fans seem to use the Beatles and Beach Boys almost as a single entity. For example, they'll write that some current band that uses vocal harmonies is inspired "by the Beatles and Beach Boys."

But really, in my opinion, there are very few Beatles songs that sound as if they could've been Beach Boys songs, and vice versa. Which of each band's songs do you think could have been written and performed by the other band without it sounding like a stretch?

DON'T USE the oft-cited examples of "Girl Don't Tell Me" or "Back in the U.S.S.R." Too easy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:37:17 AM »

"Because" sounds like it could've been a BB song.
water74
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:13:31 AM »

Penny Lane & Here Today backing tracks. follow the bass line.
verse of PL sounds like chorus of HT. as well as the bridge/prechorus of PL sounding like the same of HT.
She's Leaving Home & God Only Knows.
change the rhythm and SHL resembles GON during the verses. vocals of SHL during chorus resemble tag vocals of GON.

AMDG
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »

Well since Mike Love is an unaccredited co-writer and the inspiration for "Back in the USSR" it is obviously going to sound like a Beach Boys song.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 11:25:21 AM »

Well since Mike Love is an unaccredited co-writer and the inspiration for "Back in the USSR" it is obviously going to sound like a Beach Boys song.

Uncredited.

And I said other than...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »

Theres A Place / In My Room
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 12:25:02 PM »

Arent You Glad/ Wild Honey i always thought sounds like a Beatles song. Musically and the lead vocal. Be With Me off 20/20 has a slight Beatles vibe but only during the psychodelia period.

Celebrate The News has a Rolling Stones Vibe to it as well, and its arguably better than anything the Stones had released up to '68.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 12:27:00 PM by jabba2 » Logged
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »

While re-watching the Anthology DVDs again the other night, I started thinking about how most pop writers and fans seem to use the Beatles and Beach Boys almost as a single entity. For example, they'll write that some current band that uses vocal harmonies is inspired "by the Beatles and Beach Boys."

But really, in my opinion, there are very few Beatles songs that sound as if they could've been Beach Boys songs, and vice versa. Which of each band's songs do you think could have been written and performed by the other band without it sounding like a stretch?

DON'T USE the oft-cited examples of "Girl Don't Tell Me" or "Back in the U.S.S.R." Too easy.
dontcha mean "ticket 2 Ride"?
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »

Arent You Glad/ Wild Honey i always thought sounds like a Beatles song. Musically and the lead vocal. Be With Me off 20/20 has a slight Beatles vibe but only during the psychodelia period.

Celebrate The News has a Rolling Stones Vibe to it as well, and its arguably better than anything the Stones had released up to '68.
Are you Shittin' me? shes a rainbow, dandelion,etc?? those Stones classic, Boyeee
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »

dontcha mean "ticket 2 Ride"?

No. And I'd never use a "2" for a "to" or "too" unless I were Prince. And even then, I'd feel bad about it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 02:39:53 PM »

Eye agree.

Razz

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »

Are you merdatin' me? shes a rainbow, dandelion,etc?? those Stones classic, Boyeee

I agree Shes A Rainbow is really good but i thought John Lennon was helping with RS songs around then. I know the Beatles contributed vocals, plus the RS never had that sound before or after the Beatles helped out, so i figured it was more of a supergroup.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 04:40:06 PM by jabba2 » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 04:56:42 PM »

alrite, im gonna use Girl Dont tell me, but not for ticket to ride...i think GDTM and If I needed Someone sounded alike

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 06:00:58 PM »

FYI, the intent of the question wasn't to pick a song that sounds like another specific song, but that sounds like it could've been written and recorded by the other.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »

FYI, the intent of the question wasn't to pick a song that sounds like another specific song, but that sounds like it could've been written and recorded by the other.

Oh, I get it now. Well, I think "I Should've Known Better" and "Tell Me Why" from The Beach Boys' Party album fit that qualification. police
MBE
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »

For me the two closest Beatle cuts are the Anthology versions of Got To Get You In To My Life and Eight Days A Week. Total Brian Wilson arrangements that they made more Beatley for release.

We Love You is the only track the Beatles were on. They may have been on Dandelion but She’s a rainbow is Mick and Keith sped up. Brian Jones also played on a few Beatles cuts.

Sorry but while I enjoy the Stones work post Brian, at least through the 70s, he IS the stones to me. Mick was basically the Mike Love of the band, good for public purposes, a good lyricist, but not the genius that Brian was. Brian just never got the chance to publicly show all he was capable of. He wrote Ruby Tuesday with Keith and all their Nanker Phelge stuff too. His singing wasn't bad either. Keith was good for who he was but despite having a great sound, he didn't have Brian's versatility. Keith always sounds the same. The sound is good but other then a track here he hasn't changed except vocally and facially. It was Brian who was the innovator. Mick Taylor was quite amazing too, but he never got enough room to breathe in the Stones either. Still he's never matched his work with them either. The Beach Boys may have not given enough time to Dennis, but compare how he was treated to how Brian Jones was.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 10:41:27 PM »

I could hear the early Beatles singing "Surfer Moon".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 12:15:09 AM »

Flying by The Beatles would've fitted perfectly on Friends.
MBE
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 01:55:50 AM »

I know it's not circulated but I would LOVE to hear Lennon doing Lonely Sea.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 02:01:39 AM »

The octave-long downwards climb opening Heroes & Villains (once at night) compared to Lucy in the Sky With
Diamonds (when the title is sung).
Rasmus

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 04:20:26 AM »

I know it's not circulated but I would LOVE to hear Lennon doing Lonely Sea.

Well, he's not doing "Lonely sea" really. He just plays the chord-pattern, which is a pretty basically one. There's no singing, so it's probably not "Lonely sea" but a jam,

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »

Well, he's not doing "Lonely sea" really. He just plays the chord-pattern, which is a pretty basically one.

It is. "Everybody Hurts" by REM also sounds a lot like "Lonely Sea" (the guitar parts at least).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx