gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:58:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "Breaking The Band" on Reelz TV  (Read 6717 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »

This Sunday at 10:00PM, for those who get this network through their cable providers. It's a new series that looks at famous bands that "broke up" and what caused it. Fleetwood Mac was on last week, Sonny and Cher the week before that. Not that the Boys have ever broken up, but I guess maybe when they could have. Looks like from previews, it may center for the Boys on the early 80's when both Brian and Dennis had problems in the band. Saw a preview that mentioned the Boys firing Brian, so that may be the concentration. We shall see I suppose.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:13 AM »

Watched the episode on the Eagles Sunday night.  Full of "reenactments" and fake beards, it was pretty bad.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »

I saw the Eagles one too; though it was pretty bad, and reminded me of the "fake Beards" Beach Boys movie from years back.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »

Here is a little sneak peak, it does not look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpP9PjeqI-c
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:16:17 AM »

The actor playing Dennis does eerily resemble him, and can't you just see this scene playing itself out exactly as shown...particularly the Dennis smile at the end of it. Eerie!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 06:46:06 AM »

Any show that portrays Dennis slapping myKe luHv around is worth watching.  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:48:15 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:46:57 AM »

Is there any footage of the fight that happened on stage?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 07:21:14 AM »

Any show that portrays Dennis slapping myKe luHv around is worth watching.  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!
Viewing party at OSD’s House? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »

Just watched that footage with the sound down; I realize the "re-enactments" surely had a micro-budget, but it's pretty funny how Mike and, I guess, Al?, end up looking more like 2018 hipsters than their 70s iterations.

That it appears they were able to interview Stebbins and Figueroa (and even Gaines) makes me with they had just made it a straight documentary without the cheesy re-enactments.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »

cheesy, yes; but I'll watch at least for the Stebbins and Bobby Figueroa interviews.  I don't ever recall hearing/seeing a former backing band member being interviewed about their time in the band

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »

Agree that anything with Stebbins and Bobby figuroa commenting has to be pretty good. The facts and the truth.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »

Watching it now, though I missed the very beginning. They get a lot of the chronology wrong, and the story is very simplified. Several times, they say, "Eager to get Brian back on track so he can get on the road and MAKE THEM SOME MONEY..." A lot of it is about the band pushing Brian onto the stage, into the studio, into treatment with Landy, etc, "so they can make money."

But they do interview a lot of the heavy hitters, including Jon Stebbins.

The re-enacting actors are terrible. They don't even sound American.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »

Wow...I never knew Mike is British!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 07:21:17 AM »

British? He sounded to me like he was from the Bronx! They should have just eliminated the acting parts; they were terrible, and they didn't even get a lot of it right.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 07:26:01 AM »

Plus side: Interviews with David Marks, Jon Stebbins, Bobby Figueroa, and Peter Ames Carlin.

Down side: Pretty much everything else, most especially the tabloid approach, and over-playing the Brian as cash cow approach. They played fast and loose with the timeline, scrambling events at times. They seemed to be implying that the group broke up when Dennis died, instead of when Carl died. (Yes, I know some of you feel they functionally ended with Dennis...) Agree about the re-enactments, they stunk. I also feel that Al was unfairly treated in this show.

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »

I watched most of this last night.  At first I was laughing at the awfulness of it, but then later the whole thing just made me mad.  It was full of inaccuracies and was poorly done.  We already had Summer Dreams - we don't need another fake-beard festival.  It's also just downright wrong - the Beach Boys did not break up in 1982, like this thing constantly states.  Yeah, things weren't good, but they weren't by any means dead in the 80s, with or without Brian.  You can tell the Beach Boys story without perpetuating the same tired old stories that were proven untrue (or mostly untrue) ages ago. 

Emdeeh, Al is ALWAYS unfairly treated.  I mean, in Love & Mercy, Banana had more lines than Al!

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »

The production heads on this seemed intent on steering it towards 1982 which was really confusing to me. I kept trying to suggest they use the 1977 NJ Airport Tarmac incident as the natural "break up" moment because at least a case can be made that they never were really the same, and never really spiritually or creatively "together" after that. But that idea was brushed off. That said, the entire series of these "breaking the band" shows, and Reelz in general is not intended for the historically informed fan by any stretch, it's a purely sensationalized quick take on some volatile aspect made for those with a thumb nail idea of the subject matter. And they're gonna get made no matter because the demand is there in some calculated commercial demographic ...so at least by having Bobby F, and Dave etc... throwing in their two cents you have some actual genuine perspective within the format, a format which is an assembly line template, plug in any classic rock act and repeat. I haven't seen it, yet...but I've seen some of the other bands treatment so I can imagine. The best part about it for me is that I got to visit and catch up with Bobby on the day of the shoot, and then had a great lunch with Dave and Carrie afterwards. Nice to have an excuse to hang out with my friends in L.A. as I don't get there much anymore.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »

John your part in it was tremendous same, with Bobby F and David. Really enjoyed the facts you guys provided. Wish it wasn't so sensationalized and so negative with bad acting.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »

Big deal they don't sound American. Roll Eyes & I didn't know that fakeness or realness of beards is super-duper important. Some experts here, ha. Dislike the word "reenactment". Just few cents.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 12:02:49 AM »

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/NF7MNWy-Yrc
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »

Trifecta today on REELZ:

1. Brian Wilson: Addicted
2. Autopsy: The Last Hours of Dennis Wilson
3. The Beach Boys: Breaking the Band

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 05:37:36 AM »

I hope there wasn't any mention of Dennis and Manson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 06:19:02 AM »

Trifecta today on REELZ:

1. Brian Wilson: Addicted
2. Autopsy: The Last Hours of Dennis Wilson
3. The Beach Boys: Breaking the Band

Coming Soon:

Al Jardine - Waiting for a Bus - To the Extreme!
Bruce Johnston - Jekyll or Hyde?
Mike Love - Bloodbath at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »

I hope there wasn't any mention of Dennis and Manson

So, you didn't catch the advertisements?  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx