gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:58:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help by search for a song  (Read 7779 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »

Since I first saw that "Summer dreams" movie about the Beach Boys, I can't get that song out off my head that plays when "Dennis" pick up "Karen" in the bar. I even heard it once on radio years ago but they didn't say who sang it and what it's called. So maybe one of our members here can help.

Here are some of the lyrics that I can understand, and how they are heard in the scene (the song has already started before we can hear it in the movie) .

Probably part of the chorus:

Wasting my life and my time in (...)town and it brings me down
and I do anything just to bring one more smile to your face.

Part of a verse:

The prettiest girl that I ever did see
Makes me st(..) over there though/'cause I think that she's smiling at me.
(Fl...) make you mine but I don't think the words are right
I guess the tequila is talkin' tonight

This seem to be the first part of the chorus:

Having (spend ...) my life in tequila town
(...) got ever get out of this place
and I do anything just to bring one more smile to your face

It sounds a little like Jimmy Buffet or the Bellamy Brothers. Mid-tempo and a I-II-V chord progression in the verses.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:41:26 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:19:18 PM »

Since I first saw that "Summer dreams" movie about the Beach Boys, I can't get that song out off my head that plays when "Dennis" pick up "Karen" in the bar. I even heard it once on radio years ago but they didn't say who sang it and what it's called. So maybe one of our members here can help.

Maybe you or someone else can link a clip that includes it. I'd love to have a go at finding it.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:07:43 AM »

Well, I found a site yesterday that streams the movie. But I don't know if it is against the board's rules to post the link here.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:44:50 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:10:56 AM »

Well, I found a site yesterday that streams the movie. But I don't know if it is against the board's rules to post the link here.

Is it, Billy, Craig?  Banana

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:42:12 AM »

I was wondering--might it be by one of Foskett's bands? I believe he was responsible for the music...   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »

Did Jeff start in 1970s? I doubt Jeff's song somehow played in the bar when Dennis met Karen, looks suspicious. Maybe Jeff added it into film soundtrack to advertise his band. If, indeed, JK's guess is correct.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 12:50:26 AM »

I don't think it has anything to do with Jeff. It doesn't sound like him at all. I would guess it's more along "classic rock" lines, although it's got more of a country feel. I also heard it on radio once (a classic rock station).

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 03:18:52 AM »

I don't think it has anything to do with Jeff. It doesn't sound like him at all. I would guess it's more along "classic rock" lines, although it's got more of a country feel. I also heard it on radio once (a classic rock station).
Yep. I doubted too in the previous post.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »

I just recorded the sound bit from the movie. I guess that should be no problem for the board. You can download the short piece here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/pqdnny

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »

Best guess from me

Wasting my life and my time in the (real)? town and it brings me down
and I'd do anything just to bring one more smile to your face.

Makes me stare over there cause I think that she's smiling at me.
Bright light, make her mine but I don't think the words are right

I've been spending my life in ? town
dont think I'll ever get out of this place
and I 'd do anything just to bring one more smile to your face

Might be the name of a town? debrille town?

Friday night/bright light/fright lined/firelight
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:52:13 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »

Best guess from me

Wasting my life and my time in the (real)? town and it brings me down
and I'd do anything just to bring one more smile to your face.

Makes me stare over there cause I think that she's smiling at me.
Bright light, make her mine but I don't think the words are right

I've been spending my life in ? town
dont think I'll ever get out of this place
and I 'd do anything just to bring one more smile to your face

Might be the name of a town? debrille town?

Friday night/bright light/fright lined/firelight

Thanks, Big Dinner. You're a hero. We'll get there in the end...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »

I think the town is "tequila town". It woud fit with the other mention of that drink. But I could be wrong. There are other songs called "Tequila town" but I didn't find this one.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »

I think the town is "tequila town". It woud fit with the other mention of that drink. But I could be wrong. There are other songs called "Tequila town" but I didn't find this one.

I followed up that lead too. I also went to Rhymezone to check out words that sound similar to Peadar's "debrille town". I also checked through lists of US cities beginning with B, D and T--all to no avail.

Let's keep hoping.

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »

I thought the town was "Rio Town"...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 02:47:12 AM »

I thought the town was "Rio Town"...

Thanks, FHCS. Jimmy Buffet sings about Rio Town in "First Look" but that's the only relevant musical connection I could make...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 05:54:36 AM »

JK, new ID riddle to you. I dunno who sings it, what the title says. Shortly, I used to record songs straight from tape recorder's radio to tapes. Sound is jolly clear when you record it that way, zero muddiness. But, that tape recorder stayed in town. Here, in the city, I got very ancient TR, right channel in the earphones does woodpecker noise, it gets in the way to hear songs distinctly. Without earphones it doesn't play music thru speakers. Only via earphones.

Found tapes, listened to each & this really cool song plays.
Its style is 50s-early 60s uptempo rock & roll.
Lead vocal channels usual rock & roll singer suspects.
By voice I can tell he's def. white.
The title he repeats in the chorus is either "were she boogie?", "bird ship boogie", "a version boogie" or similar. The verse is "I was standing there ... she was coming up across the street..." "[song title] fell right on my head" "she said hey baby..." "she was gone ... feeling mad about being cruel...".

Middle 8 is guitar solo, guitar plays with trembly sound. Playing in keyboard the notes H-C-Es-H(next octave)-same "H-C-Es"-B-again trio "H-C-Es"-As-F-As. H-H-As-F-As-F-As-H-H-As-F-As-Ges-Es-H-H-Es-F-As.
Chorus (Es) H-H-H-As (backing vocs h-h-h-as) [repeated twice] B-B-B-B. H-H-H-As.

Thanks in advance.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »

JK, new ID riddle to you. I dunno who sings it, what the title says. Shortly, I used to record songs straight from tape recorder's radio to tapes. Sound is jolly clear when you record it that way, zero muddiness. But, that tape recorder stayed in town. Here, in the city, I got very ancient TR, right channel in the earphones does woodpecker noise, it gets in the way to hear songs distinctly. Without earphones it doesn't play music thru speakers. Only via earphones.

Found tapes, listened to each & this really cool song plays.
Its style is 50s-early 60s uptempo rock & roll.
Lead vocal channels usual rock & roll singer suspects.
By voice I can tell he's def. white.
The title he repeats in the chorus is either "were she boogie?", "bird ship boogie", "a version boogie" or similar. The verse is "I was standing there ... she was coming up across the street..." "[song title] fell right on my head" "she said hey baby..." "she was gone ... feeling mad about being cruel...".

Middle 8 is guitar solo, guitar plays with trembly sound. Playing in keyboard the notes H-C-Es-H(next octave)-same "H-C-Es"-B-again trio "H-C-Es"-As-F-As. H-H-As-F-As-F-As-H-H-As-F-As-Ges-Es-H-H-Es-F-As.
Chorus (Es) H-H-H-As (backing vocs h-h-h-as) [repeated twice] B-B-B-B. H-H-H-As.

Thanks in advance.

Here you go, RR. It's by The Megatones. Regrettably it's called "Bird Sh*t Boogie".  LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-pXuKWpz_Y
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:50:52 AM by JK » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 05:34:16 PM »

Coolicious. 3D Did you catch it quickly due to hearing this vintage song in the 50s-60s, it's popular dance song back then? Or did you go by the clues listed in my reply? Either way, TY. Thumbs Up

Btw, goofy lyrics. Chap stands like tool waiting girl, bird flew above his head & blessed him with manure. The girl sees & dumps poor chap. She hates the bird fragrance at guy's head. Strangely, he doesn't go to wash his hair, just stands like tool.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:42:07 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 01:28:01 AM »

Coolicious. 3D Did you catch it quickly due to hearing this vintage song in the 50s-60s, it's popular dance song back then? Or did you go by the clues listed in my reply? Either way, TY. Thumbs Up

Btw, goofy lyrics. Chap stands like tool waiting girl, bird flew above his head & blessed him with manure. The girl sees & dumps poor chap. She hates the bird fragrance at guy's head. Strangely, he doesn't go to wash his hair, just stands like tool.

Sounds like a Chinese proverb: "When man stand like tool, bird bless him with manure." Brilliant description there, RR. LOL

It was the combination of "fell right on my head" line and "bird ship" that did it.

I'd never heard of the song--it's very obscure, if you ask me. Anyway, glad to be of help. Smiley

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 06:08:27 AM »

Rocker, other folks, it's here at 42:55 (with a brief glitch in the verse):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4HqyKpTO4

I'll give it several close listens. It sounds like the first time round they're singing "this here town" but I may be wrong...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 01:08:39 AM »

Rocker, other folks, it's here at 42:55 (with a brief glitch in the verse):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4HqyKpTO4

I'll give it several close listens. It sounds like the first time round they're singing "this here town" but I may be wrong...

Thanks, JK!
Man, there must be some way to find out what song this is  Huh 3D

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 02:25:22 AM »

Man, there must be some way to find out what song this is  Huh 3D

I've been through several more options without success. This Erie town, this evil town, Missouri town...

I'm wondering if it's a less successful follow-up to a hit.

I also came across the term "Caribbean Country", which has been used to describe Buffett's and the Bellamies' music. This probably rings more bells with you than it does with me. Grin

I'll keep on looking from time to time...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 07:04:30 AM »

Thank you, JK!

I never thought it would be so hard to find out which song this is  Cheesy

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »

Speaking of "Summer Dreams", I've always been curious about the song that "Dennis" sings to "Karen" on the piano. Does anybody know what it's called? Is there a complete version of the song? Or is that fragment all that was written for the scene(s)?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »

That was written for the movie. I think it was called "You're so beautiful" (not to be confused with Preston's song) and was sung by Greenwood himself. Beautiful song. I really love it

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx