gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:26:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Be Here In The Mornin' Question  (Read 14603 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 06:32:43 AM »

Regarding Murry's participation, I was sure that it was written he sang on the song in the booklet of said twofer. But I just took a look and there's no mention of Murry. So now I don't remember where I heard about that and therefore I can not say how reliable that source is/was.

COMMENT to Rocker:
Murry Wilson würde unangemeldet bei Aufnahmen auftreten. Sobald er ins Studio kam, würde Brian sich verkrampfen und seine kreativen Fähigkeiten würden schrumpfen. Aus Respekt würde Brian Murrys Dringlichkeit ertragen, dass er mit ihnen singt oder viele Vorschläge über die aufgenommene Musik macht. Murry war zu niemandem höflich. Jeder war glücklich, ihn gehen zu sehen. Wenn Sie Brian und seinen Vater zusammen sehen könnten, würden Sie ihre Liebe / Hass-Beziehung in Aktion sehen. Brian hatte den ganzen Erfolg, aber Murry wollte Kredit für alles. Ich schätze Brians Mutter, Audray, für seine freundliche Art. Sein Vater wollte alles kontrollieren, aber der Erfolg des Strandjungen kam in die Quere. Dies erzeugte die Spannung, die Brian überwinden wollte, aber aufgrund Murrys unruhiger Persönlichkeit nicht konnte. Gutes Hören
~ SWD
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 07:20:15 AM »

Regarding Murry's participation, I was sure that it was written he sang on the song in the booklet of said twofer. But I just took a look and there's no mention of Murry. So now I don't remember where I heard about that and therefore I can not say how reliable that source is/was.

COMMENT to Rocker:
Murry Wilson würde unangemeldet bei Aufnahmen auftreten. Sobald er ins Studio kam, würde Brian sich verkrampfen und seine kreativen Fähigkeiten würden schrumpfen. Aus Respekt würde Brian Murrys Dringlichkeit ertragen, dass er mit ihnen singt oder viele Vorschläge über die aufgenommene Musik macht. Murry war zu niemandem höflich. Jeder war glücklich, ihn gehen zu sehen. Wenn Sie Brian und seinen Vater zusammen sehen könnten, würden Sie ihre Liebe / Hass-Beziehung in Aktion sehen. Brian hatte den ganzen Erfolg, aber Murry wollte Kredit für alles. Ich schätze Brians Mutter, Audray, für seine freundliche Art. Sein Vater wollte alles kontrollieren, aber der Erfolg des Strandjungen kam in die Quere. Dies erzeugte die Spannung, die Brian überwinden wollte, aber aufgrund Murrys unruhiger Persönlichkeit nicht konnte. Gutes Hören
~ SWD

Not too bad, sir  Grin Wink
Thanks for that post. It must've been a strange situation to have Murry in the studio, especially after Brian and the Boys fired him.

And for some reason I really have to wonder what a session of Manson with Murry producing would have looked like. If it wasn't for the cruel murders, this kinda would make a great skit for SNL - can you imagine.... "Well, Charlie, you have a wonderful song here, but you need to sing from your heart"  LOL

- I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful to the victims of the murders

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »

COMMENT to Rocker:
~ SWD

Not too bad, sir  Grin Wink
Thanks for that post. It must've been a strange situation to have Murry in the studio, especially after Brian and the Boys fired him.

And for some reason I really have to wonder what a session of Manson with Murry producing would have looked like. If it wasn't for the cruel murders, this kinda would make a great skit for SNL - can you imagine.... "Well, Charlie, you have a wonderful song here, but you need to sing from your heart"  LOL

- I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful to the victims of the murders
COMMENT to Rocker:  I was stationed in Deutschland for 3 years.

"Well, Charlie, you have a wonderful song here, but you need to sing from your heart." Manson replies, "Yea, well I have something for your heart if you don't shut the f-ck up !!"

Cheesy  ~swd
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »

I think we're all going to hell for laughing at that one.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »

While we're on the subject of BHITM, I have a question for Mr Desper(or whoever may know the answer). My question is regarding the line "Be Here and make my life full(or is it whole?)". The words "Be here and make my" are treated with a Leslie speaker sound effect, but the rest of the words are not. Was this a mistake in editing? Or was it intentional? I've been wondering about it for years.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:46 AM »

I think we're all going to hell for laughing at that one.  LOL

Sad part is, hell is only about three degrees warmer than Houston

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 05:16:15 AM »

They all of a distinctive ability to sound like each other if they really try to. All except for Dennis, I guess; he has the most different voice from the rest of them.

Not too fast, IIRC according to Stephen Desper this is all Dennis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHA65ZadrjM

COMMENT:   The A Cappella in the above clip from Hawthorne album was mixed by myself for my own pleasure. Some years later, BBI made copies from my tape and eventually it was released on this album.

The song is almost all Dennis Wilson singing. Some vocal sweeting was added later, but only a couple of voices toward the end.  I've recorded Dennis for years. I remember leaning over the harp of the nine-foot Baldwin Concert Grand Piano as Dennis played this song -- leaning over the harp so I could hear Dennis singing the song, to me, while looking me straight in the eyes. Just he and I in the studio for morning sessions. From thereon the song evolved with the addition of track after track. So don't tell me I can't recognise a vocal! You can collate all the comparative vocal sounds you wish and argue among yourselves. I was there, it is Dennis front to back.

~swd

That's why I brought it up. It wasn't meant in a sarcastic way.
Apart from the lead (obviously) I seem to hear Dennis on the Mike-part ("baby") and on the Carl-part ("my my my my my"). The Brian-part is difficult for me to say. It sounds vrey much like Brian but after the song is over and the same voice says "Let's hear that back" (or something along those lines) it could very well also be Dennis. I probably need to listen to it a couple more times.

On another note:
Is it correct that Murry is on "Be here in the morning"? I think that was mentioned in the liner notes of the Friends/20/20 twofer.
COMMENT to Rocker:

Sorry Rocker, nothing personal. I appreciate your comment quoting me. That comment you made in BOLD was just me reacting to other posters who said I wasn't always right in my study-videos. It rubbed me the wrong way. I know it wasn't you, but made the comment as a broader response.

Yeah, I thought so. I just wanted to make sure that nothing I said offended anyone. All is good.

Thanks for the infos!

That source was Carl Wilson, in his conversation with Geoffrey Himes (the full version, as printed in Kingsley Abbott's "Back to the Beach: A Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys Reader", page 250):  "My dad sang the big deep note on 'Be Here In The Morning'". Elsewhere (I believe it was either the 1974 BBC radio special, or the 1976 "Best Summers of Our Lives" radio special), Carl mentioned that Brian made the Friends album with Murry - on some of the session tapes I've been privileged to hear while researching the MIC sessionography, Murry is heard in the control room directing proceedings like in the "good old days".
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:18:03 AM by c-man » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 05:41:44 AM »

That source was Carl Wilson, in his conversation with Geoffrey Himes (the full version, as printed in Kingsley Abbott's "Back to the Beach: A Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys Reader", page 250):  "My dad sang the big deep note on 'Be Here In The Morning'". Elsewhere (I believe it was either the 1974 BBC radio special, or the 1976 "Best Summers of Our Lives" radio special), Carl mentioned that Brian made the Friends album with Murry - on some of the session tapes I've been privileged to hear while researching the MIC sessionography, Murry is heard in the control room directing proceedings like in the "good old days".

Ah yes, then I'd read it in "Back to the beach" (btw, a very cool book, there should be another one imo). Thanks for the reminder!

COMMENT to Rocker:  I was stationed in Deutschland for 3 years.

May I ask, where you were stationed?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:43:08 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:11 AM »

While we're on the subject of BHITM, I have a question for Mr Desper(or whoever may know the answer). My question is regarding the line "Be Here and make my life full(or is it whole?)". The words "Be here and make my" are treated with a Leslie speaker sound effect, but the rest of the words are not. Was this a mistake in editing? Or was it intentional? I've been wondering about it for years.
COMMENT to Jay:   I posted the words in an earlier posting (reply #17).  The Lesley effect was applied intentionally as indicated in the post. It was applied to the entire line, even though it may not sound like that. Could be that last word just happened to propagate from the Lesley speaker when it was in alignment with the microphone and thus sounds as if direct.  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »

They all of a distinctive ability to sound like each other if they really try to. All except for Dennis, I guess; he has the most different voice from the rest of them.

Not too fast, IIRC according to Stephen Desper this is all Dennis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHA65ZadrjM

COMMENT:   The A Cappella in the above clip from Hawthorne album was mixed by myself for my own pleasure. Some years later, BBI made copies from my tape and eventually it was released on this album.

The song is almost all Dennis Wilson singing. Some vocal sweeting was added later, but only a couple of voices toward the end.  I've recorded Dennis for years. I remember leaning over the harp of the nine-foot Baldwin Concert Grand Piano as Dennis played this song -- leaning over the harp so I could hear Dennis singing the song, to me, while looking me straight in the eyes. Just he and I in the studio for morning sessions. From thereon the song evolved with the addition of track after track. So don't tell me I can't recognise a vocal! You can collate all the comparative vocal sounds you wish and argue among yourselves. I was there, it is Dennis front to back.

~swd

That's why I brought it up. It wasn't meant in a sarcastic way.
Apart from the lead (obviously) I seem to hear Dennis on the Mike-part ("baby") and on the Carl-part ("my my my my my"). The Brian-part is difficult for me to say. It sounds vrey much like Brian but after the song is over and the same voice says "Let's hear that back" (or something along those lines) it could very well also be Dennis. I probably need to listen to it a couple more times.

On another note:
Is it correct that Murry is on "Be here in the morning"? I think that was mentioned in the liner notes of the Friends/20/20 twofer.
COMMENT to Rocker:

Sorry Rocker, nothing personal. I appreciate your comment quoting me. That comment you made in BOLD was just me reacting to other posters who said I wasn't always right in my study-videos. It rubbed me the wrong way. I know it wasn't you, but made the comment as a broader response.

Yeah, I thought so. I just wanted to make sure that nothing I said offended anyone. All is good.

Thanks for the infos!

COMMENT:  Carl is an impeccable source for session events. His recall has always amazed me.

I attended and sometimes ran about 25% of the Friends, Wild Honey, and Smiley Smile sessions. Never saw Murry during those sessions. In other sessions where Murry did show up and presume to direct as in the "good old days," but after he left most, if not all, that was recorded while he was visiting was erased. This is not to discount what Carl said in the interview, but just letting you know how it was usually handled. Not everything you may have heard may have made it to mixdown.
  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »

May I ask, where you were stationed?

COMMENT:  The US Army has two Mothon Picture Studio facilities. A US operation New York City and the European operation in Kaiserslautern, southwestern Germany.

My MOS was as a Motion Picture Sound Man. I made training films, travel films, "The Big Picture" (a popular TV show of that time), and Congressional Reports. This took me all over Europe, but was always fond of Germany.

However the Germany of today is not the Germany of the '60s. But change is part of life.
  ~swd
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »

Ach, der Desper spricht Deutsch.  Schön. 

Ich habe den Beitrag von Rocker mit der Phrase ,Thanks for the infos' gesehen, und ich habe vermutet, dass er Deutscher ist.    Smiley
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »

Ach, der Desper spricht Deutsch.  Schön. 

Ich habe den Beitrag von Rocker mit der Phrase ,Thanks for the infos' gesehen, und ich habe vermutet, dass er Deutscher ist.    Smiley

COMMENT to Kid Presentable:  Seine persönliche Seite zeigt, dass er in Deutschland lebt. Aber spricht gut Englisch. Dachte eine Antwort in seiner eigenen Sprache wäre klarer. ~swd
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »

Herr Desper -

why do you place a tilde before your initials instead of over?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »

Herr Desper -

Tilde I Die

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »

Herr Desper -

Tilde I Die

Awesome lol You win one free internet...

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »

Herr Desper -

Tilde I Die

Awesome lol You win one free internet...

LOL 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:29:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »

I love Billy, CD, and others!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »

Anytime 👍

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 05:05:15 PM »

Herr Desper -

COMMENT to hideyotsuburaya:

A long time ago in 1873, two fellows named Sholes and Glidden came up with a keyboard layout, called the QWERTY in America, and sold it to Remington. Named after the first letters on the upper row of keys. They based their design, through years of trial and error, on which letters were used the most and what words were used the most. Mechanical typewriters require strong hands and fingers because all the energy use to impress the ink-coated ribbon to the paper comes from you, not a motor. So to facilitate speed typing with little hand fatigue an energy efficient layout was a good selling point.  

With the advent of electronic computers, finger strength was no longer a factor, but since folks had learned the QWERTY layout, that layout continued to be used.

It use to be that the tilde, placed on a little used key position – upper left – , was used to facilitate typing foreign words. What you did was type the letter, then backspace and retype the tilde over the letter. The same for the accent mark below it on the same key and the caret symbol above #6 key.

Now you can go to the symbol menu and select from hundreds of foreign words, and symbols. In modern computers the so-called tilde has been dropped down so that now it is actually used as a swing dash or wave dash. To find a tilde you must now go to the symbol menu.

This symbol “~” has many uses. In math, if placed above the equal sign, it means approximately equal. In the dictionary it is used as a pronunciation guide. In logic notation it means a negation.  

But you ask me why I use it.  I don’t use it as a tilde because it’s not above a letter.  I use it as an artistic expression when I “type" my name or initials in the electronic medium. I see it as sine wave or sinusoidal waveform, i.e., a smooth periodic oscillation … or one cycle or 1Hz. I see it as representing one cycle of a sound wave.

I thought . . . that little symbol is on my keyboard, I think I’ll use it before my name to represent that I’m connected with sound. I started using it a long time ago and, as I said, I took a little artistic freedom with the symbol and attached it to my name. And that's the story.
 ~swd
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:07:49 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2018, 05:00:39 AM »

However the Germany of today is not the Germany of the '60s. But change is part of life.[/size]  ~swd

Yes, that's how it goes. I'm afraid though that, just as in seemingly every other western democracy, times are changing right now pretty fast - and not necessarily for the better if we are not very careful.
Anyway, I enjoyed the chat, thank you. Now to not spoil the thread, back to the Beach Boys.  police

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2018, 07:04:38 AM »

I just want to say that I am amazed at how much the boys can sound alike. I remember when I discovered that there are 3 different lead vocals on I know There's an Answer. I can definitely tell, now that I know, but never would have guessed. I probably picked up on Mike at the beginning with Brian on the higher Parts, but Al in there so seamlessly is amazing. Be Here In the Morning is another as well as many others. To my ears, Al sounds more like Brian than even Carl. They switch leads on Take a Load Off Your Feet and California Saga so seamlessly. Compare the lead vocals of Help Me Rhonda and Wouldn't it Be Nice! Also, I know Brian sings Winter Symphony, yet at times I swear it's Al!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »

"This symbol “~” has many uses. In math, if placed above the equal sign, it means approximately equal. In the dictionary it is used as a pronunciation guide. In logic notation it means a negation.  "

for 'approximately equals' expression in math I've used just the equals sign, but curve both (parallel) lines, not place a tilde above a normal equals.  simpler
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:30:15 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »

I just want to say that I am amazed at how much the boys can sound alike. I remember when I discovered that there are 3 different lead vocals on I know There's an Answer. I can definitely tell, now that I know, but never would have guessed. I probably picked up on Mike at the beginning with Brian on the higher Parts, but Al in there so seamlessly is amazing. Be Here In the Morning is another as well as many others. To my ears, Al sounds more like Brian than even Carl. They switch leads on Take a Load Off Your Feet and California Saga so seamlessly. Compare the lead vocals of Help Me Rhonda and Wouldn't it Be Nice! Also, I know Brian sings Winter Symphony, yet at times I swear it's Al!

Absolutely agree. And while it seems understandable enough that the brothers might sound similar, as you said sometimes it's Al, or Bruce, or even Mike who is sounding like one another or like a Wilson. Then when you add that they not only sound similar, but are often doubling one another or trading lines, it becomes almost an unsolvable puzzle sometimes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx