gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:30:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surf's Up
5 - 61 (32.6%)
4 - 97 (51.9%)
3 - 25 (13.4%)
2 - 2 (1.1%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 171

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up  (Read 151331 times)
CroatianSensation
Smiley Smile Associate

97' Beach Boys enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »

Each time I listen to this album I'm convinced this album is one of their very best!

SDT isn't nearly as bad as I used to think it was, though it should have been a non-album single and replaced by the two Dennis songs.

Had they added the two Dennis songs, I'd go so far as to say it's their best album, hands down!
Shame that won't happen.

So true. If 4th of July was on it, aww man it would've blown the crowd away.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »

It has the biggest gulf of any BB album between its highs and lows. The highs are as good as anything ever recorded by anyone, the lows are as bad as the post-1977 albums.

The best listening experience is to program the Sunflower/Surf's Up two-fer with the five or six clunkers omitted. Then it becomes up there with Today/Summer Days and the Pet Sounds and Smile boxes.
KDS
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2015, 05:30:32 AM »

Ah, the socially conscious version of The Beach Boys. 

This one is right up there with Sunflower.  In fact, while Sunflower is a better listening experience from start to finish, I think the great songs on Surf's Up are greater than the great ones on Sunflower.  However, there's two tracks of filler.  I still rate this one a five. 

The album starts in fine fashion with Don't Go Near the Water.  The middle section with the toothpaste and soap lyrics are silly, but the song redeems itself with the wordless harmonies at the end. 

Carl rocks out with Long Promised Road.  Carl was in fine voice on this album. 

The next track Take a Load off Your Feet is, IMHO, pure filler.  The song does nothing for me. 

Next, you have the raucous and noisy Student Demonstration Time, sandwiches between two moments of tranquility with Disney Girls & Feel Flows. 

Disney Girls and Feel Flows are two wonderfully done songs.  Disney Girls has Bruce wistfully thinking of a bygone era that may have never existed.  The Boys get a little psychadelic on Feel Flows.

I really don't think SDT is as bad as people make it out to be.  I think this one is a go-to for the Love-haters out there for the terrible lyrics.  What I don't like is the irritating siren and the bullhorn vocals.  I think the performance itself is pretty good. 

Lookin at Tomorrow is an underrated Al Jardine jem.

I like A Day in the Life of a Tree, though I wish they had one of the Boys take a crack at the lead vocal. 

The next two offer the best closing to ANY Beach Boys album IMO.  I can't say anything about Til I Die or Surf's Up that haven't already been said.  Surf's Up is one of my two favorite BB songs (tied with Warmth of the Sun). 

Sunflower and Surf's Up make for my favorite of the 2-fer series. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »

Don't Go Near The Water 5/5
Long Promised Road 4/5
Take A Load Off Your Feet 3/5
Disney Girls 5/5
STD 4/5
Feel Flows 5/5
Lookin' At Tomorrow 4/5
A Day In The Life Of A Tree 5/5
Til' I Die 5/5
Surf's Up 5/5

One masterpiece after another on this one. The band's best album. Could have been even better if Dennis hadn't spat his dummy.
An easy 5/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »

Don't Go Near The Water 5/5
Long Promised Road 4/5
Take A Load Off Your Feet 3/5
Disney Girls 5/5
STD 4/5
Feel Flows 5/5
Lookin' At Tomorrow 4/5
A Day In The Life Of A Tree 5/5
Til' I Die 5/5
Surf's Up 5/5

One masterpiece after another on this one. The band's best album. Could have been even better if Dennis hadn't spat his dummy.
An easy 5/5.

You and I definitely see eye-to-eye on the 70s output from the Boys.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2016, 03:58:11 AM »

"Feel Flows" is the first (and almost last) BB song to include an extended instrumental workout over a repeating pattern. The only other to do this (to equally stunning effect) is "Leaving This Town".

With all due respect to Dennis, I wouldn't change a note of this album.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2016, 10:50:33 PM »

"Take a Load Off Your Feet" is really the only thing here I can't stand. Sheesh, of all the things to write a rock and roll song about. Surprised Dennis didn't make fun of it by writing a song about his weenie. I do like "Student Demonstration Time" - a rare instance of hearing some heavy guitar on a BB's track. "Lookin' At Tomorrow" hits close to home right now. "Disney Girls" is Bruce's best; "A Day in the Life of a Tree" is beautiful in it's innocence. But the masterpieces this album's reputation rests on are "Surf's Up", "Till I Die", "Long Promised Road", and "Feel Flows" - 4 songs that rank with the best these guys ever did.
KDS
« Reply #257 on: May 05, 2016, 05:17:42 AM »

"Take a Load Off Your Feet" is really the only thing here I can't stand. Sheesh, of all the things to write a rock and roll song about. Surprised Dennis didn't make fun of it by writing a song about his weenie. I do like "Student Demonstration Time" - a rare instance of hearing some heavy guitar on a BB's track. "Lookin' At Tomorrow" hits close to home right now. "Disney Girls" is Bruce's best; "A Day in the Life of a Tree" is beautiful in it's innocence. But the masterpieces this album's reputation rests on are "Surf's Up", "Till I Die", "Long Promised Road", and "Feel Flows" - 4 songs that rank with the best these guys ever did.

Couldn't agree more.  If Take a Load Off Your Feet wasn't on the album, it might be my favorite Beach Boys album. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  If Take a Load Off Your Feet wasn't on the album, it might be my favorite Beach Boys album. 
Too bad Dennis took his songs off the album.
KDS
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2016, 05:19:11 AM »

Too bad Dennis took his songs off the album.

Swap out Take a Load Off Your Feet for Wouldn't It Nice Nice to Live Again, and I'd easily vote Surf's Up at the best Beach Boys LP. 
KDS
« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2016, 09:32:07 AM »

There is topic "WIBNTLA reviews", some say it deserved the hype. Do you agree with it, KDS? I was impressed by Dennis' vox, imo it could rival the best of Brian. Help here, it and Slip on Through are 2 songs where he hit the high note. Any others?

That said, TALOYF is my favorite.

I love WIBNTLA.  It made me regret parting with a C-note for the bloated MiC set much less.  I think it's one of Dennis's best songs, and it's a shame it didn't make in onto a BB album, and was left off in favor of a Sunflower throwaway. 
KDS
« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »

"Sunflower throwaway" - agree to disagree. To me, WIBNTLA is about the vox. Sure it had nice arr. , nice flutes and guitar solo. But as with many Dennis' songs, it's too sappy. I'm into upbeat sunshine-y songs.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  But I think WIBNTLA would've been perfect for the Surf's Up record. 

Personally, Take a Load Off Your Feet doesn't sound sunshine-y.  I think it falls into that overly quirky Brian category.  Some fans love it, and that's fine, but it's not for me. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »

There is topic "WIBNTLA reviews", some say it deserved the hype. Do you agree with it, KDS? I was impressed by Dennis' vox, imo it could rival the best of Brian. Help here, it and Slip on Through are 2 songs where he hit the high note. Any others?

That said, TALOYF is my favorite.

I love WIBNTLA.  It made me regret parting with a C-note for the bloated MiC set much less.  I think it's one of Dennis's best songs, and it's a shame it didn't make in onto a BB album, and was left off in favor of a Sunflower throwaway.  
No it wasn't! It was left off, because Dennis pulled it. He wanted it to end the album and when he learned that wasn't going to happen, he took that and 4th Of July off and went home.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #263 on: May 06, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »

To me it sounds both jolly AND quirky. At least nobody with right ears I hope would say "Take A Load..." is dark and sad.
What about 4th of July? Like it? I used to but it worn out quickly.

I do like 4th of July, but I can kinda see why it was left off.  I think it pales in comparison to WIBNTLA. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »

To me it sounds both jolly AND quirky. At least nobody with right ears I hope would say "Take A Load..." is dark and sad.
What about 4th of July? Like it? I used to but it worn out quickly.
Dennis pulled two songs off of Surf's Up. I believe Student Demonstration Time replaced 4th of July on the album. I think Donnie said in here once, that he believed 4th Of July followed Don't Go Near The Water and preceded Long Promised Road. They sound right in that order.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »

Affirmative. The ending of Don't Go Near the Water meshes well with 4th of July's begin. I am in the minority  who like Student Demonstration Time though. Good news is anyone can re-arrange the tracklist and sequence/ go back to original plan.

I don't mind the song Student Demonstration Time.  The only thing I don't like is that siren noise in it.  I get what they were going for, but it didn't work. 

The lyrics are a little clunky.  I think I'd have preferred a straight cover of Riot in Cell Block B. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 07, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »

It's too bad WIBNTLA only saw release on that pricey box - I got a copy out of our library. Couldn't afford to buy it. In a better world they would reissue the cd's of the 70's albums with bonus tracks added, instead of the two-fer format.
KDS
« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2016, 05:23:50 AM »

It's too bad WIBNTLA only saw release on that pricey box - I got a copy out of our library. Couldn't afford to buy it. In a better world they would reissue the cd's of the 70's albums with bonus tracks added, instead of the two-fer format.

I'd have preferred a CD or 2 CD set of only rarities.  By that, I mean, studio outtakes, not a slightly different 2012 stereo mix of Help Me Rhonda that sounds a tad cleaner than the 2006 stereo mix. 

It took me a couple years, but I reluctantly paid for the overly expensive box.  I guess Capitol realized that, since the reunion was a one off, let's bilk the loyal fans one more time. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »

I'd have preferred a CD or 2 CD set of only rarities.  By that, I mean, studio outtakes, not a slightly different 2012 stereo mix of Help Me Rhonda that sounds a tad cleaner than the 2006 stereo mix. 

It took me a couple years, but I reluctantly paid for the overly expensive box.  I guess Capitol realized that, since the reunion was a one off, let's bilk the loyal fans one more time. 
Yeah, they know they can get away with it. After checking out the box and taking it home, I was glad I didn't pay the big bucks for it. Not enough unreleased material, and the book was very disappointing.
KDS
« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2016, 10:16:31 AM »

Yeah, they know they can get away with it. After checking out the box and taking it home, I was glad I didn't pay the big bucks for it. Not enough unreleased material, and the book was very disappointing.

I agree.  For what it was, they definitely overcharged for the packaging.  And I thought was it weird that the book seemed to imply that the C50 lineup was still together, despite the fact that it was released in late 2013. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »

I agree.  For what it was, they definitely overcharged for the packaging.  And I thought was it weird that the book seemed to imply that the C50 lineup was still together, despite the fact that it was released in late 2013. 
Yeah, that was misleading. There should have been time to correct that before releasing the box.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2016, 05:20:56 AM »

When I first bought this album, I though that because of the title, there would be some surfing songs and I was quite eager to hear them. Imagine my disappointment as a youngster. But as an adult? I love this album. I am surprised about the comments about certain songs on Surf's Up. Everyone seems to want another Pet Sounds, SMiLE or Love You - or at least a thematic album.

The way I look at it, Brian has always had a quirky sense of humor and I take that into account listening to the Beach Boys albums. It is such a contrast to his much more common serious and somber lyrics. I love the fact that the Beach Boys were not afraid to take chances and will drop a goofy song into an album. Although the track order can help an album, it never really bothered me on this album. Besides, what is everyone complaining about? Nowadays, in this digital age, you can make whatever album you'd like using whatever songs or version of songs you want.

I think the Surf's Up album sounds amazing on vinyl, just the way it is. Mike likes doing rockers, so we get Student Demonstration Time. Sure it is dated, but at the time it was quite topical as the Kent State massacre was in 1970. The siren sound can get annoying but the song was meant to be grating in it's delivery.

Don't Go Near The Water - Love it. Toothpaste and soap can make our oceans a bubble bath, so let's avoid an ecological aftermath. People hate this?

Long Promised Road - A great Carl song and quite optimistic. I think he liked changing the mood from dark and brooding to hopeful. He also did it in The Trader, for example.

Take A Load Off Your Feet - intentionally funny. "But when you go to sit down in your chair, something else has got to put you there." Then of course, the outro where it sounds like they are holding their noses while singing about feet. Hilarious!

Disney Girls - One of the Bruce songs that I really like. "Now I'll fill your hands with kisses and a tootsie roll..." I love Hershey Kisses and Tootsie Rolls so what's there not to like here? Plus, my name is Rick and hearing it in a Beach Boys song when I was a kid was quite cool. Still is, actually. LOL.

Student Demonstration Time - Loud. Obnoxious. Dated. A perfect Mike Love vehicle! I like the music, Mike's bullhorn delivery and the harmonies. At the time it was topical though and a serious message.

Feel Flows - A little to long and flutey for me, but that 8-note keyboard progression that is repeated twice (right before the "encasing, all-embracing wreath of repose" always gives me goosebumps for some reason. Love that part! Again, Carl's voice is perfect and the harmonies are beautiful.

Lookin' At Tomorrow - This is the only song I do not care for on this album, but I do appreciate the chance to hear it.

A Day In The Life Of A Tree - Not one that I would play as an introduction for someone who has never heard the Beach Boys before. First few listens, I found it cringe-worthy, even as a kid. Later, when you consider the metaphor, it becomes a whole new song, and it adds a level of melancholy on top of the existing sad theme. Kind of like I'm Bugged At My Old Man did for me. Using humor to hide behind some very real pain.

Til' I Die - A brilliant Brian song. He was always ahead of himself. He was singing about the future in the early songs  like When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) and by the time he caught up with that, he was already looking much further towards the end of his life or in this case how insignificant a single life can feel.

Surf's Up - Columnated ruins domino. I have no idea what it means, but dammit it sounds great. I like the way the song was completed. The average listener would not even notice Carl and Brian sang lead - I used to assume it was the same singer all the way through - it is just we superfans that can tell the difference. The sparseness of parts of the arrangement set a perfect mood for the lyrics.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2016, 08:06:47 PM »

I have a lot of thoughts on Surf's Up, an album that I love.  Here are two very random ones.

I have a strange relationship with this album because of how I consume it.  Just because of how my iPod and iTunes have progressed over the years from computer to computer and my laziness in correcting things, I have also come to know Surf's Up as being sequenced alphabetically.  It gives me a chuckle every time to have the album end with SDT --> Surf's Up --> Take A Load --> Til I Die.  I have even warmed up to it because of how ridiculous it is, and it has given me a different, good, appreciation of the album, in ways I don't get when I listen to it in its intended order (which I enjoy very much).

When I listen to Take A Load I always think that it wasn't made right.  Were it given a Party! treatment, with double the acoustic guitars, and double the "hangin' out with the gang" manufactured vibe, in my opinion it would have been a much better song.  I can't think of any other of their songs that I can say that about. 
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2017, 09:33:19 AM »

A perfect pop/progressive LP from start to finish if it didn't have Feet and Surf's Up (I LOVE Carl's vocals but the track belongs on SMiLE) and more of Dennis' songs.

This is the order I listen to these days:

Side A

Don't Go Near The Water
Long Promised Road
California Slide (Im' Going Your Way)
Disney Girls (1957)
Student Demonstration Time
Fourth Of July

Side B

Feel Flows
My Solution
Lookin' At Tomorrow
A Day In The Life Of A Tree
'Til I Die (Desper instrumental intro/Surf's Up mix)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 10, 2017, 05:57:51 AM »

Saw this in Amsterdam the other day. It's called The Weary Traveller (De vermoeide reiziger). Dating
from 1987 (or perhaps earlier), it's not known who sculpted it. I shall give it a try (famous last words):     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx