gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:37:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surf's Up
5 - 61 (32.6%)
4 - 97 (51.9%)
3 - 25 (13.4%)
2 - 2 (1.1%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 171

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up  (Read 151406 times)
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »

A very overrated album. Had this world any justice Surf's Up would have been (one of) the high point(s) of a 1967 album called SMiLE! - but then again Smiley Smile's not to be overlooked. But still, had it happened, the remaining 4 tracks from Carl and Brian  would have made good substitutes for the weaker tracks of Sunflower (again there is nothing too weak there). Another if: if Long Promised Road (not very dear to me but a decent song) replaced Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song) on the b-side, I could glue the vinyl to my turntable and never play Side A again. And to omit 4th of July! Pity this was considered by the contemporary music press as the Beach Boys' return to the "to-be-taken-seriously"-league. I mean c'mon, what about the albums after Pet Sounds, how are they inferior to this uneven album?
3/5 (yes the good stuff is worth buying the album... wait, I borrowed the Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer CD from the library and made a copy  Grin )
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »

4 stars

I see it more as a compilations of the band's different songwriters' work rather than as a totally cohesive album -- after all the earliest recording for the album was (unintentionally) done in 1966.  Unlike 20/20, however, pretty much all the tracks are good (with the example of Student Demonstration Time, which almost ruins the album). The non-Brians somehow got their sh*t together.

1. Don't Go Near The Water - 5
Such a fun song. The lyrics are bad, but somehow not to the song's detriment. The arrangement is out of this world; the synths and Brian's piano work are practically Pet Sounds worthy. The tag is Smile worthy.
2. Long Promised Road - 4
BAD LYRICS. Unlike DGNTW, though, they really hurt the song and make it sound heavy handed and stupid. The melody and arrangement is quite amazing, however. Carl really knew how to create a mood through synths, guitars, and electric piano.
3. Take A Load Off Your Feet -4
Stupid, stupid lyrics. Somehow the corniness feels all in good fun, however. I never skip it.
4. Disney Girls (1957) - 4
Forced lyrics. The "fill your hand with kisses and a tootsie roll" is borderline laughable. Like Long Promised Road, the arrangement and strength of melody somehow rescue the song. Brian's falsetto in the bridge is spine-tingling.
5. Student Demonstration Time - 0
I'm giving it a 0 because I never listen to it. If I did I would give it a 1. The music doesn't  rescue of the offensively bad lyrics. What a disaster.
6. Feel Flows - 5
Carl's greatest song. Even moodier and more mystical than Long Promised Road. Carl was apparently a master arranger. I wish he was able to prove it more often.
7. Looking At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song) - 3
Just kind of a folk ditty. Nothing special about it, but the organ and phasey chorus sound of the production make for an interesting atmosphere.
8. A Day In the Life Of A Tree - 4
Jack Reily's voice sucks. The arrangement is also kind of... strange and doesn't sound very fleshed out. I'm giving it a 4 on its creativity and Van Dyke's "trees like me" vocal. That has to be one of the most touching moments in the entire Beach Boys' discography.
9. Til' I Die - 5+
An absolute masterpiece, musically and lyrically. It speaks for itself.
10. Surf's Up - 5
Of course the song is a masterpiece. I think this 71 version is a bit lacking, though. I like Brian's lead more than Carl's and the piano demo section sounds under produced. They could have added more instruments to that section easily.

Overall, an extremely creative album, if a bit disjointed and lacking in sonic cohesiveness. But the Beach Boys were the most disjointed band of all time, so I can't fault them for it. Definitely an essential release, and one of their very best discs.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:00:38 PM by Lady Xoc » Logged
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »

I'm still to make a more detailed post on this album, but I just had to say that this pseudo-environmental wave was done with a terrible taste. Something along the lines of "Country Air" and "Let The Wind Blow" would be much more artistic and sensible, not sounding forced, but simple and honest.

Don't Go Near The Water is just embarrassing. And I'd like to know who came up with the final tag - just amazing.

Am I the only one who is actually touched by Rieley's performance on ADITLOAT? I just wish Brian had done the falsetto at the end (which is, I agree, an epical moment).
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »

I think JR's voice fits well with the song. Off the top of my head I think it holds the curious distinction as well of being the only (?) song on a Beach Boys album not sung by an actual Beach Boy.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: June 25, 2013, 02:25:22 AM »

I feel this album, and some of it's tracks, does not get enough love. The first time I heard it though, it was something special to me, and a solid 4/5. For me, "Student Demonstration Time" sits in the right place on the album, after the slower opening tracks, its a blast to end side one. "Surf's Up" ending side two is a brilliant choice, and one of the greatest Beach Boys songs that they have in their cannon.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »

Another underrated classic! Though not without it's flaws.
Student Demonstration Time sucks. Why this was on this album i don't understand.
Meanwhile ^ that crap is on this album, and where's Dennis's 4th of July or the immortal WIBNTLA?
Take out SDT, and add the two Dennis tracks, and you've got yourself a masterpiece.
But...

4 out of 5

OUTDATED OPINION!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:57:54 PM by Mr. Jarhead » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »

Once again we have this same usual situation with a BB album. They had their hands on a masterpiece, but just somehow it happened to slip out of their hands. Wouldn't it be nice to live again should've replaced Student demonstration time. I like SDT, but it's so out of place on this album. And the cover art... That's one of the best ever. Just brilliant.

Don't Go Near The Water 4/5
I don't get why so many people dislike this. Music is amazing and the lyrics are ok too.
Long Promised Road 5/5
Propably the best song Carl ever did. I love the ending and the line "I'd love to see you".
Take A Load Off Your Feet 3.5/5
Funny song! Lightens up the atmosphere of the album really well and it really works. I dig the sound effects.
Disney Girls 4.5/5
Bruce's masterpiece. I'm not sure if I should give it 5 or not... At least it's really close to 5.
STD 2.5/5
Like I said, I like it and it sounds cool, but it's just musically and lyrically so out of place here.
Feel Flows 3.5/5
Awesome and very psychedelic. Maybe a little bit too jamming.
Lookin' At Tomorrow 4.5/5
This is another song which dislike by some people I don't understand. I think it's the best song Al did. The live version from 80's rock so hard! I'd pay anything to get a good clear version of that!
A Day In The Life Of A Tree 5/5
Perfect. I actually like this more than Til' I Die or even Surf's Up. This is the masterpiece. Rieley does fantastic job with the vocals.

Til' I Die 5/5
Surf's Up 5/5
No words needed with these two.

So 4/5 for the album. They were SO close to a perfect album, ONCE AGAIN! Why the hell do they pretty much always miss it? Bad charma? Mike Love? Lack of Brian's involving? Well we can't change the history so we just got to enjoy this as much as we can.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »

I just realized this is the only BB album without a single love song. Though Disney Girls does come close.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2014, 02:47:06 AM »

I just realized this is the only BB album without a single love song. Though Disney Girls does come close.

Student Demonstration Time

(...in before somebody else says it)

Please delete my account
bluesno1fann
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »

Each time I listen to this album I'm convinced this album is one of their very best!

SDT isn't nearly as bad as I used to think it was, though it should have been a non-album single and replaced by the two Dennis songs.

Had they added the two Dennis songs, I'd go so far as to say it's their best album, hands down!
Shame that won't happen.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »

Surf's Up is one of those albums that has 3 or 4 amazing songs but also 2 or 3 "not that good" songs.

Amazing: Surf's Up, Til' I Die, Long Promised Road, Feel Flows
Bad: Student Demonstration Time, Take A Load Off Your Feet (very out of place).
The rest in-between.

I will admit I don't listen to this album a lot. It does have some amazing songs but It doesn't really work as an album. Dennis's songs (Sound Of Free, Fallin' In Love, 4th Of July, WIBNTLA) should have been included to make this album stronger.

4/5
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »

Cover Art 5/5  Music 4/5.. the LP that made BB hip in hippie //stoner circles.. Boy was I glad to come out of the closet and yell BEACH BOYS.. This LP + 2 part Rolling Stone article + their live show put them back on the map.. !!  I was vindicated and never had to pretend about the BB ever again.. 2 songs I DONT like and should have been replaced with Dennis songs are : SDT + ADITLOAT.. 1st one lousy lyrics and the siren drives me NUTS.. 2nd one This needs a BW lead vocal + a full band arraignment and it would be great..
jamesmeyer82
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 03, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »

Hello,
I am new to the board and had a question for everyone. I work in  record store and am trying to price out a Capitol Record Club pressing of Surf's Up (ST-93920) and was wondering if anyone has encountered this version of this album before. Any info would be greatly appreciated. The cover is VG maybe a weak VG+ the vinyl is VG+ and it includes the foldout lyric insert.
Thanks again!
James
Little Pad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »

5/5. Best non-Pet Sounds/Smile album, even if it is all over the place. The rest is good enough I'm almost willing to forgive Mike Love for "Student Demonstration Time". Almost.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2015, 09:53:01 PM »

I may have to give this another listen sometime, but I finally checked it out due to all the praise and honestly I didn't really like it.

It's just a dreary, pretentious, boring listen. I felt like they were trying way too hard to reinvent themselves. I know that was the whole point, but it just came off as forced and self-conscious to me.

None of the songs particularly stood out to me, except SDT for the wrong reasons. It doesn't feel fun or enjoyable like the other Beach Boys albums I've heard. Pet Sounds and SMiLE have melancholy moments but the music is so vibrant and full of life that I can still pop them in any time and feel uplifted. Love You gets a lot of flak for dated production and sophomoric lyrics but damn if that isn't a fun, not-pretentious record. Surfs Up is just overly sad and dreary. It was a chore for me to listen to and doesn't sound like the Beach Boys.

Hated the use of the title track. You knew you were gonna use it and build an album around it, so why does it sound so out of place? With Carl singing the first half, then the second half being so bare, it really does sound unfinished and desperate to include. I hate the new fade they came up with, and how that's become the standard ever since.

Honestly, listening to this just makes me wish they had finished Surf's Up properly when it was due. That, and that they'd have reinvented themselves in '67 when they were still relevant and in the avant garde, crazy SMiLE direction. Not in this pandering to the hip crowd, environmentalist, trying too hard direction.

3/5.

Edit: After giving it a second, more concentrated listen...my opinion still stands. I think Dont Go Near the Water is somewhat pretentious and heavy handed in its message. For all the praise Long Promised Road gets, I'm not a fan. I think it's overrated. Take a Load Off Your Feet is an awful song about subject matter that doesn't even warrant a song being made about it. SDT is awful, with a lousy message of never standing up for yourself and accepting the awful status quo and borderline fascist police brutality used to suppress dissent. The next three songs on Side Two left little impression on me. I still think Surfs Up doesn't fit, sounds as unfinished as ever, and was only included as a desperate bid for attention.

I will say, Disney Girls and Til I Die really stood out to me as beautiful works of art this second time around, though. I absolutely loved them both.

I have to say, I can understand why this must have made a splash in '71, but it hasn't aged well imo, and considering the Hodge-podge jumble of songs and ideas, I don't think it stands up as a cohesive message much less a "masterpiece." It may have made the band cool for awhile when it was released, but I certainly don't think any youngin's like me would think this album is particularly cool. I certainly didn't, even as a fan. Like I said, it's not even fun or inspired like their usual offerings. It just doesn't resonate with me in any way. Not trying to trash it, but that's where I stand.

My vote is the same. 3/5.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:32:38 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2015, 11:50:05 PM »

I may have to give this another listen sometime, but I finally checked it out due to all the praise and honestly I didn't really like it.

It's just a dreary, pretentious, boring listen. I felt like they were trying way too hard to reinvent themselves. I know that was the whole point, but it just came off as forced and self-conscious to me.

None of the songs particularly stood out to me, except SDT for the wrong reasons. It doesn't feel fun or enjoyable like the other Beach Boys albums I've heard. Pet Sounds and SMiLE have melancholy moments but the music is so vibrant and full of life that I can still pop them in any time and feel uplifted. Love You gets a lot of flak for dated production and sophomoric lyrics but damn if that isn't a fun, not-pretentious record. Surfs Up is just overly sad and dreary. It was a chore for me to listen to and doesn't sound like the Beach Boys.

Hated the use of the title track. You knew you were gonna use it and build an album around it, so why does it sound so out of place? With Carl singing the first half, then the second half being so bare, it really does sound unfinished and desperate to include. I hate the new fade they came up with, and how that's become the standard ever since.

Honestly, listening to this just makes me wish they had finished Surf's Up properly when it was due. That, and that they'd have reinvented themselves in '67 when they were still relevant and in the avant garde, crazy SMiLE direction. Not in this pandering to the hip crowd, environmentalist, trying too hard direction.

3/5.
I can't believe what I just read  Shocked
But I have to ask, why 3/5 if you hated pretty much everything on it?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2015, 06:52:13 AM »

3/5.
The title song fits very nicely for me. Actually, the last three fit there quite nicely. Lamenting its release 44 years after the fact, well doesn't resonate with me. Buying this LP on the day of release was quite the different feeling than what you are feeling today. For me it was great to have a Beach Boys album that I could share  with my friends. It was quite well-received by many who had long written them off as unhip and uncool.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »

3/5.
I can't believe what I just read  Shocked
But I have to ask, why 3/5 if you hated pretty much everything on it?

It's not SIP or a pointless, NASCAR-esque redo of the hits. It's still competently made music, even if it didn't jibe with me personally.

Like I said, I may have to give it another listen. But for a first time listen last night, I was left seriously underwhelmed.

Drbeachboy, yeah I understand for many of these albums the difference between being there when they came out and hindsight probably means a lot. Endless Summer being another example.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 02, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »

Maybe they should've put the talking trombones section over the coda to get that nice cohesive sound.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2015, 08:52:39 AM »

Maybe they should've put the talking trombones section over the coda to get that nice cohesive sound.

I know you're making fun of me, but honestly...yeah. I think that sounds better. In any case,  Shrug I'm just not a big fan of that coda. Sorry.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2015, 11:55:38 PM »

Watch your tone. He knows more about Smile than you could EVER, EVER fathom.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2015, 12:41:54 AM »

Watch your tone. He knows more about Smile than you could EVER, EVER fathom.

I'd like to think I know a great deal about it, yes.

I like to play around with the recordings and come up with off-the-wall ideas about it I haven't seen people try before.

It's my favorite album, and perhaps my favorite artwork ever made by any artist in any medium. It sounds cliche to say so, but it literally changed my life. That's seriously not an exaggeration--it turned me on to psychedelics themselves as well as psychedelic rock and the counter-culture. This completely changed my personality and way of thinking.

Just because I'm really passionate about something (especially something that you all claim to love too) I don't see why that should be used against me as an insult or to discredit my opinions. Really, really bizarre this board can be. So bizarre it's got me talking like Yoda.

Edit: Nevermind
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:48:04 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2015, 01:37:28 AM »

Woodstock was making an obscure reference to a memorable Howie Edelson quote.

Mujan, everyone who posts much on this board gets teased. You seem more allergic to being teased than most, and always take the bait, which just encourages it.

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 03, 2015, 01:40:09 AM »

It's my favorite album, and perhaps my favorite artwork ever made by any artist in any medium. It sounds cliche to say so, but it literally changed my life. That's seriously not an exaggeration--it turned me on to psychedelics themselves as well as psychedelic rock and the counter-culture. This completely changed my personality and way of thinking.
So much for the "square" Beach Boys, haha. I feel almost as strongly about it as you do (if you leave out the psychedelics).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: February 03, 2015, 05:52:52 AM »

Woodstock was making an obscure reference to a memorable Howie Edelson quote.

Mujan, everyone who posts much on this board gets teased. You seem more allergic to being teased than most, and always take the bait, which just encourages it.

My mistake. Of course, over text it can be hard to judge tone or sarcasm/joking, and when your SMiLE theories have been called "c*ck sure gaslighting" and NOT as a joke, it's a given you're already gonna be on the defensive in the future.

But you're right. I am too defensive and it's something I ought to dial back.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:54:04 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx