gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:53:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surf's Up
5 - 61 (32.6%)
4 - 97 (51.9%)
3 - 25 (13.4%)
2 - 2 (1.1%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 171

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up  (Read 151529 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »

"Within You Without You" and "Take a Load Off Your Feet" are both excellently amazing. In my opinion. and opinions aren't worth arguing over because all are valid.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »

Basically a cobbled together collection of outtakes and new tracks, the only sense of unity being derived from the laughably "progressive" lyrics and horrendous production values. I don't like this album at all (besides the last two tracks, which are available in many other places). 2 stars
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:42:43 AM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »

Basically a cobbled together collection of outtakes and new tracks, the only sense of unity being derived from the laughably "progressive" lyrics and horrendous production values. I don't like this album at all (besides the last two tracks, which are available in many other places). 2 stars

In what possible way are Feel Flows and Long Promised Road even remotely horrendously produced or cobbled together?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

Anyone else think that 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree', 'Till I Die', and 'Surf's Up' are the greatest 10 consecutive minutes on any Beach Boys album?

Yes, although there's a good case for saying the entire side two is one of the greatest 15 consecutive minutes on any Beach Boys album. Carl's songs on this album, though praised, are still under-valued - they are as good as Brian's contributions, not better, but not worse. Certainly both his tracks are masterpieces, an overused phrase but entirely relevant regarding LPR and, especially, Feel Flows. They're really as good as psychedelic pop gets, period.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:51:22 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2012, 03:51:40 PM »

I've been listening to this album a little more lately with less critical ears and I have deemed this album quite enjoyable. The only problem is that it just looks so "ugly on paper:" many of the songs are outtakes from previous projects, the lyrics were intended to be "cool" (rather than expressive), and the album itself just has a highly commercial ethos -- by 1971 The Beach Boys were starving for more commercial success and were definitely following contemporary trends rather than innovating, as they were between 1965 and 1967.

This album, warts and all, is probably one of the more enjoyable post-Pet Sounds albums (not counting the lost Smile album). I would probably give it more like a 3.5-4 at this point.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:12:59 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »

In a perfect world this album would have Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again and Big Sur on it. Why those songs weren't on this album I'll never understand.

A discipline daddy.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »

Even the cheesy Landlocked leftovers that are included would've contributed to making this a fantastic album if not for ML and his Student Demonstration Time.

It's quite funny that Carl and Dennis were arguing over the final track if it should be SU or WIBNTLA both of whcih are (supposedly) fantastic tracks. Then when they did LA Light they made Shortening Bread the last track... how ironic..
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »

WIBNTLA is  amazing, one of Dennis' 3 best songs.

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »

If only we could hear the original.  Cry

A discipline daddy.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2012, 12:16:20 AM »

Surf's Up was another album - after Pet Sounds - that totally changed my mind and my understanding of Music generally. Almost all of the songs are my faves, except for one song - Disney Girls. But even this has some magic in it, harmonies, for instance. Plus, don't know why, but I don't like the place when the line "Hi, Rick and Dave..." starts.

Now I'm gonna write down names of the songs beginning with the most favorite/playable and on:

Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song) (Imo the finest cut of SU. I don't mind that it is based on some old folk music, coz the song doesn't sound folk to me at all. Al rearranged it (and very skilfully!) and made it his own number) 
A Day in the Life of a Tree (as I've said in some thread, I like it a lot, very beautiful. Jack Rieley did an excellent vocals on A Day and I wouldn't replace him. But yet it'd be good for Brian to sing it in 70s and release as an alternate take/bonus track on, say, 15 Big Ones.
Take a Load Off Your Feet (Jolly positive and cheerful!)
Feel Flows
'Til I Die
Don't Go Near the Water (very funny-sounding song and mention of toothpaste and bubbles is also jolly entertaining!)
Student Demonstration Time (loved it at first listen - love it now. Though "There's a riot going on" harmonies are quite annoying)
Surf's Up (I rather like Brian's earlier version than this mixture of Carl's-on-the-1st-verse and Brian's-on-the-2nd-verse)
Long Promised Road
Disney Girls

When all's said and done, I'll give it a 5, of course.

Surely the 'When There's a Riot Going On' harmonies on STD are the only non-annoying thing about it...??
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »

Surf's Up and 'Til I Die are simply stunning. A Day in the Life of a Tree is beautiful along with Long Promised Road. Take a Load Off Your Feet and Disney Girls are good tracks and I have to admit I kind of like Student Demonstration Time as well.

I admit I'm a big fan of Surf's Up. I have the album version, Brian's SMiLE version, and the 1967 demo version. The song is just... Listening

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »

It could have been so much better.  Drop "Take A Load Off" and "Student Demonstration Time" and add Dennis' "4th of July" and let his "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live" close out the LP after "Til' I Die" as he originally intended.  Honestly, as much as I love the track "Surf's Up" it doesn't belong on this LP.  It was a product of the past.  One of the biggest problems I think they had in the post-Smile era was trying to sound hip by bringing back bits of that LP here and there...but that ship had sailed.  It belonged to the Summer of Love...not 1971. 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »

It could have been so much better.  Drop "Take A Load Off" and "Student Demonstration Time" and add Dennis' "4th of July" and let his "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live" close out the LP after "Til' I Die" as he originally intended.  Honestly, as much as I love the track "Surf's Up" it doesn't belong on this LP.  It was a product of the past.  One of the biggest problems I think they had in the post-Smile era was trying to sound hip by bringing back bits of that LP here and there...but that ship had sailed.  It belonged to the Summer of Love...not 1971.  
Easy to say 40 years after the fact. They were under pressure from Warner's, and like VDP basically said, adding Surf's Up (a mythical Smile track at the time) made it sure to raise much more interest in the new album. And it did. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:13:42 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »

I recently got to hear the Adam Marsland version of WITBNTLA and I have to ask those-in-the-know... His version is in the key of Eb. Is the original version in Eb as well?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »

If only we could hear the original.  Cry
Then we would be  all  Shocked and  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »

It could have been so much better.  Drop "Take A Load Off" and "Student Demonstration Time" and add Dennis' "4th of July" and let his "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live" close out the LP after "Til' I Die" as he originally intended.  Honestly, as much as I love the track "Surf's Up" it doesn't belong on this LP.  It was a product of the past.  One of the biggest problems I think they had in the post-Smile era was trying to sound hip by bringing back bits of that LP here and there...but that ship had sailed.  It belonged to the Summer of Love...not 1971.  
Easy to say 40 years after the fact. They were under pressure from Warner's, and like VDP basically said, adding Surf's Up (a mythical Smile track at the time) made it sure to raise much more interest in the new album. And it did. Smiley
You are correct on all accounts.  Wishful, revisionist thinking on my part!  I just wish they'd get around to releasing Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again so that I could program my own dream "Surf's Up".  What's really sad about this period is that the group was really trying and really making some excellent music that nobody was listening to.  The overall quality of Wild Honey through Holland is actually pretty high (in my opinion) yet it remains so obscure to most people.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »

I've read that during the recording of A Day In The Life Of A Tree, Brian was crying at the end of the recording session. Some cynical people, who probably don't like the song, have said that Brian was just doing one of his famous put ons. I bet he was actually moved by it. Actually now that I think of it, someone on the old board once posted an interview with Jack Reiley where he said that any stories of Brian crying are BS. Anyway, this song has almost brought me to tears many times. But I still didn't actually cry. I'm not that big a freak.

Isn't Surf's Up one of Neil Young's favorite albums?

I was just listening to this track and remarking to myself how sad it was.  Rieley's vocal is so mournful.  I can completely imagine Brian in tears at the end.  One of their most underrated classics!

clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »

I really dig the melancholy atmosphere of Surf's Up. It beautifully counteracts the upbeat tone of Sunflower. There are a couple crap songs on here (Take a Load Off Your Feet, Student Demonstration Time) but the rest are good-to-great. My favorite song on the album is, of course, the title track. 4/5
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »

Perfect classic album. Great cover too.
I got a sealed 70s vinyl of it recently which has a lot of presence and warmth to it.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »

I've read that during the recording of A Day In The Life Of A Tree, Brian was crying at the end of the recording session. Some cynical people, who probably don't like the song, have said that Brian was just doing one of his famous put ons. I bet he was actually moved by it. Actually now that I think of it, someone on the old board once posted an interview with Jack Reiley where he said that any stories of Brian crying are BS. Anyway, this song has almost brought me to tears many times. But I still didn't actually cry. I'm not that big a freak.

Isn't Surf's Up one of Neil Young's favorite albums?

I was just listening to this track and remarking to myself how sad it was.  Rieley's vocal is so mournful.  I can completely imagine Brian in tears at the end.  One of their most underrated classics!
"A Day in the Life of A Tree."  I can understand why Brian would be moved by it.  The tree has always been a metaphor to me... it's really Brian.  This is him, aware of what was happening to him.

This song busts me up.  It's the young, brilliant big brother Brian saying goodbye.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

That's an interesting thought.  I've always wondered how much of the lyric was Brian's and how much was JR's.  My hunch has always been (and I could very well be wrong) that JR probably took more lyrical credit than he deserved. 

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »

"A Day in the Life of A Tree."  I can understand why Brian would be moved by it.  The tree has always been a metaphor to me... it's really Brian.  This is him, aware of what was happening to him.

This song busts me up.  It's the young, brilliant big brother Brian saying goodbye.

That is really well put Bean Bag. That is exactly why I love this song best on SU.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »

I will always hate myself for this, but Student Demonstration Time is... *gulp*... a guilty pleasure.

The lyrics are so awful they're hilarious, but I never thought the actual sound was that bad. It's at least interesting to hear the Boys having a straight up rockout once in a while. But yeah, it is by far the worst song on the album.

Rest of the album is awesome and one of my favourites of the band.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:37:35 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2013, 12:37:11 AM »

I will always hate myself for this, but Student Demonstration Time is... *gulp*... a guilty pleasure.

The lyrics are so awful they're hilarious, but I never thought the actual sound was that bad. It's at least interesting to hear the Boys having a straight up rockout once in a while. But yeah, it is by far the worst song on the album.

If they hadn't changed the lyrics and just kept it as "Riot In Cell Block 9" I might have actually enjoyed it.

A discipline daddy.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »

If they hadn't changed the lyrics and just kept it as "Riot In Cell Block 9" I might have actually enjoyed it.

It's a shame because I personally think the chorus sounds really good. It's Mike Love's goshdarn lyrics...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx