gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:36:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surf's Up
5 - 61 (32.6%)
4 - 97 (51.9%)
3 - 25 (13.4%)
2 - 2 (1.1%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 171

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up  (Read 150087 times)
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 07:39:01 AM »

I absolutely love, love, love Surf's Up.  It is one of my ten favorite albums of all time, by anybody.  The only other Beach Boys albums that can compare to it, for me, are All Summer Long, Summer Days, Pet Sounds, Wild Honey, and Love You.

Don't Go Near the Water -- the tag is absolutely breathtaking, sounds like a SMiLE outtake with the harmonica.

Long Promised Road -- Awesome Carl rocker, one of the best songs of early 70s music.

Take a Load off Your Feet -- Catchy, fun, love Brian's vocals on first verse and bridge.

Disney Girls -- A little sappy, but awesome.  Bruce's best song ever.

Student Demonstration Time -- The weakest link, but I still like it.  Great guitar work.

Feel Flows -- Almost as good as LPR.  Carl played everything but the flute!  An early 70s classic.

Looking at Tomorrow -- Criminally underrated.  Love the guitar work and the synth/organ in the last verse.

ADITLOAT -- An acquired taste, but for me, arguably the best thing Brian ever recorded.  And that, obviously, is saying something. 

Til I Die -- I find it a little overrated, but still a brilliant, brilliant song.

Surf's Up -- A breathtaking track.  I adore this version, I adore Brian's '66 version, and the BWPS version.  A timeless classic.

Bottom line: I love this album.  I absolutely adore it.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 07:44:32 AM »

This album is a 5 but student demostration time or whatver its called makes it a 4. its really sad how just one song can bring the rating on star lower...but seriously, when its that awful...it can.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2006, 11:27:14 AM »

I'm gradually warming up to this album after 15 years of listening, due in no small part to the assorted freaks on this board.

'Don't Go Near...' still sounds mostly lame and pretentious to me though the coda is gorgeous and the "toothpaste and soap" bit is fun.
'Disney Girls' has the same effect as epicac on me, though it's arguably nice.
'ADITLOAT' - while I'll concede that it is very sad and poignant, it isn't a frequent listen for me.
'Looking At Tomorrow' screams Jardine in a not-so-fresh sort of way.

Other than that, it's a treat:  3.5
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2006, 08:05:17 PM »

Based primarily on the final 3 songs, I'll say 4.  The rest of the album has some decent cuts but Brian just totally ups the ante.  A Day in the Life of a Tree bowls me over every time, probably the single saddest musical statement Brian ever made. 
Evenreven
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 09:08:13 AM »

Perfect. Every track is great. 5.
Even Don't Go Near The Water?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2006, 09:17:46 AM »

Man, I love that song.

Watch out for snakes!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2006, 11:20:04 AM »

Especially Don't Go near The Water.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »

"Take a Load off Your Feet"... fuuuuuck.  If I had to nominate one for the title of "crap song" on this album, it'd be that... ugh... It's so much worse than Don't Go Near The Water, and yet it doesn't get singled out because Brian had some part in its hideousness?

"Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2006, 03:20:35 PM »

That song's great too.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2006, 03:52:59 PM »

Nothing against "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again," but I wouldnt want to remove "...Feet." I think it's a nice example of Al's stuff before he got too annoyingly oldies-heavy. If you must remove something, there's always SDT.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2006, 03:54:48 PM »

I'd remove Surf's Up. Doesn't fit.

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006, 03:58:42 PM »

"Take a Load off Your Feet"... fuuuuuck.  If I had to nominate one for the title of "crap song" on this album, it'd be that... ugh... It's so much worse than Don't Go Near The Water, and yet it doesn't get singled out because Brian had some part in its hideousness?
The first four lines, as sung by Mike (who, incidentally, sounds like he would have bad breath in this song) reveal its crappiness.  The end is great - the rest:  embarassing.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 02:31:12 PM »

I wanted to give this album a higher rating. But then I actually listened to it. There's a lot of great stuff on Surf's Up, but Gosh Darn, the one-two punch of Disney Girls immediately followed by Student Demonstration Time is too much. And Take A Load Off Your Feet sucks. From reading the posts it seems some people seem to like SDT and Disney Girls, but some people are also masochists that enjoy torture. Over the years I've come to really appreciate A Day In The Life Of A Tree. I know Ian really likes the Jack Rielley vocal, but I still wish Brian had sung it. It's sort of a Beach Boys tradition to have uneven albums, a few genius songs mixed with horrible songs. Very few Beach Boys albums are great all the way through.   Didn't Steven Desper once say that the Beach Boys think in terms of individual songs and not albums?

As far as this being a perfect record, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:33:45 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Evenreven
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2006, 10:16:09 AM »

Especially Don't Go near The Water.
I thought your favourite was Student Demonstration Time.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2006, 10:53:46 AM »

FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evenreven
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2006, 10:55:52 AM »

I miss BarryDavidThompson.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

His magic is alive, whenever we speak his words. Don't weep, my child.

Evenreven
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2006, 10:59:43 AM »

The big problem is getting the number of exclamation points right.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 04:43:22 PM »

Two great Carl songs.

Lame Mike Love update of an oldie.

Surf's Up and Til I Die.

The lame Don't Go Near The Water.

The sublime, if sugary Disney Girls.

The pretentious Looking At Tomorrow.

And BAM!!!!!!!!!!! Day In The Life Of A Tree is a typical oddball Brian offering. Hell, he even got the band's manager to sing it!

Too uneven. I find myself skipping tracks.

Chris D.
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »

For all their supposed right wing conservatism you've got to give the guys credit for caring about the environment.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2006, 11:44:37 AM »

Mike and Bruce even did a show for a Democrat whose views on the environment they supported.  Can't remember his name, but I think it was a couple of yeras ago.  I'm not sure how "right wing" the others were/are.  I suspect some of them weren't/aren't at all.  Brian's wife isn't!

Anyhow, for what it's worth, this was the first 70s BB album I bought.  I loved it then and I still love it now.  I'm not the greatest fan of SDT and would've preferred the early Big Sur and since I found they existed, I would love to have heard the Dennis tracks that were recorded for it. I have no problem at all with Take a Load, A Day in the Life, Looking at Tomorrow or Don't Go Near the Water (though I'll admit it's lame, lyrically, if fun in a pessimistic kind way). 

Til I Die, Surf's Up, Day in the Life, Looking at Tomorrow (heard the jazzed out version performed in the early 70s?!), Long Promised Road, Feel Flows and Disney Girls are among my favourite BB songs.

Great cover, too.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2006, 01:50:00 AM »

The album cover art is great. Really sums up the period and where the boys were at.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2006, 02:11:34 AM »

For all their supposed right wing conservatism you've got to give the guys credit for caring about the environment.

Really?  That always struck me as trying to fit in with the 'counter-culture' etc at the time.  I think that was Jack Reilly's strategy for the band.  See also 'Student Demonstration Time'.  All sounds a bit forced to me.  Still, I like this album very much, especially Disney Girls and the last three tracks.  After Pet Sounds it was the second Beach Boys album I was familiar with as a child.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2006, 04:18:07 AM »

Really?  That always struck me as trying to fit in with the 'counter-culture' etc at the time.  I think that was Jack Reilly's strategy for the band.  See also 'Student Demonstration Time'.  All sounds a bit forced to me.  Still, I like this album very much, especially Disney Girls and the last three tracks.  After Pet Sounds it was the second Beach Boys album I was familiar with as a child.

See, some of that is true, esp the Native American consciousness on Trader, or maybe Looking At Tomorrow's social welfare thoughts.  But Mike and Al have proven by their actions over the years that they are serious about the environment.  In fact, Mike's environmentalism has for the most part pulled him out of the Republican camp into more independent thinking.  So I give them credit for things like Don't Go Near the Water as sincere.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2006, 04:41:59 AM »

See, some of that is true, esp the Native American consciousness on Trader, or maybe Looking At Tomorrow's social welfare thoughts.  But Mike and Al have proven by their actions over the years that they are serious about the environment.  In fact, Mike's environmentalism has for the most part pulled him out of the Republican camp into more independent thinking.  So I give them credit for things like Don't Go Near the Water as sincere.

There is a thematic similarity between 'Trader' and Neil Young's 'Cortez The Killer'.  Which came first?  Do you think the similarity is purely co-incidental?  Both songs I like BTW. 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx