gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:46:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surf's Up
5 - 61 (32.6%)
4 - 97 (51.9%)
3 - 25 (13.4%)
2 - 2 (1.1%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 171

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up  (Read 150083 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2006, 02:07:23 AM »

5...And im really digging STD

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2006, 09:29:35 PM »

"The legendary title opus is an utter failure even on its own woozy terms and there are several disasters from the guest lyricists--Van Dyke Parks's wacked-out meandering is no better than Jack Rieley's."

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_album.php?id=3473

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2006, 11:41:09 PM »

Robert Christgau? Who's this clown?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »

Robert Christgau? Who's this clown?

A longtime, well-known, respected music critic for various publications over the years, including Esquire, Rolling Stone (I believe), Village Voice and various others, and with whom I happen to strongly disagree on that point.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2007, 10:07:41 PM »

I gave this album a 4. But if you replace SDT with one of Denny's song's, it would be better then Sunflower IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2007, 01:24:41 AM »

I gave this album a 4. But if you replace SDT with one of Denny's song's, it would be better then Sunflower IMO.

Yeah, '4th of July' would of been better on the album than that piece of sh*t 'SDT'.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2007, 07:40:47 AM »

I think Lookin' At Tomorrow is one of the most underrated songs in the entire BB discography. I LOVE it.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2007, 02:32:32 PM »

I've got to say...I wouldn't be the huge BB fan that I am today without 'Surf's Up'. The first song I ever really heard by the Beach Boys was 'Til I Die'. I fell in love instantly. Oddly, I'd shunned all of their earlier surf/hot rod works...I had dismissed them as just a 'surf band' when I was a teenager. But after I heard 'Til I Die', I knew there was MUCH more to this band than just surf music, which was the only BB stuff I'd been exposed to until that point. 'Til I Die' is still my favorite BB song.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »

IMO SDT is terrible. It tries so hard to be an edgy 70's war track but I really hate who the message is "If you wanna go protest somesthing, Don't. You might get shot kid."

Lameness to the Nth degree. Replace ith with Dennis' 4th of July and you would have a "4". As it is, I have to give it a "3".

But man, I love "A Day In The Life Of A Tree". What a great piece and I wonder if Brian connected the lyrics to himself or it only seems that way in hindsight?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2007, 02:13:54 AM »

I, like many other people am not the biggest fan of Student Demonstration Time. But other than that the album is full of some really nice tracks with two all-time great songs at the end.

Don't Go Near The Water - starts the album of in a nice way, nothing spectacular but nice nonetheless.
Long Promised Road - in my opinion one of Carl's best songs. I really like this one. I've heard some people say they hate it but I quite like it. It has a real nice feel to it.
Take A Load of Your Feet - Ive always dug this song. Its a really humours song and yet very easy to listen to and enjoy
Disney Girls - not one I listen to too much but it is a nice song.
Student Demonstration Time - as I said Im not the biggest fan. It almost tries too hard for my liking.
Feel Flows - I dont know what I like better, this or Long Promised Road. Another really nice song from Carl.
Lookin At Tommorow - This for me is the most under-rated song on the album. I really like it. It has a real sort of eerie feel to it but I really enjoy it. Not one that I immediately took to I must admit but it has grown on me.
A Day In The Life of A Tree - a lot of people also under-rate this song. But Ive also seen a lot of people praise it (hence why I didnt say this one was the most under-rated on the album). But another really cool song. I actually referred to this song in my final high school exams.
Til I Die - A brilliant brilliant song. Enough good things cant be said about this song to be honest. A real classic. I love Brian's "Until I Die" after the third verse, sends shivers down my spine. Absoultely breathtaking. The instrumentation and singing conveys exactly what Brian was trying to convey. I really like the four minute version aswell. The intro to that is fantastic, it perfectly conveys the sense of someone feeling real lonely and sad. One of Brian's best masterpieces
Surf's Up - another masterpiece. Why where these last two songs placed at the end of the album? Anyway another fantastic song. I must admit I would've prefered Brian singing the first section instead of Carl. But Carl still does a fine job although he doesnt sing it the way Brian could. Brian sung it with all his heart and so much emotion because obviously it was one of his treasured SMiLE songs. Another brilliant song. I could never get tired of listening to this song.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2007, 01:11:54 PM »

Til I Die - I really like the four minute version aswell. The intro to that is fantastic, it perfectly conveys the sense of someone feeling real lonely and sad. One of Brian's best masterpieces

If you're talking about the instrumental that was included in Endless Harmony, that's Stephen Desper's mix. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:12:54 PM by Joe- » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2007, 03:09:38 PM »

Til I Die - I really like the four minute version aswell. The intro to that is fantastic, it perfectly conveys the sense of someone feeling real lonely and sad. One of Brian's best masterpieces

If you're talking about the instrumental that was included in Endless Harmony, that's Stephen Desper's mix. Smiley

Yeh but isnt it just using the instruments in the mix that Brian recorded? So its still Brians music just mixed differently. And underneath it all it is brilliant. Sorry if Im wrong, which I probably am but thats what I always thought.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »

Yeh but isnt it just using the instruments in the mix that Brian recorded? So its still Brians music just mixed differently. And underneath it all it is brilliant. Sorry if Im wrong, which I probably am but thats what I always thought.

Yes, you are correct: the Desper mix loops existing material, mixed differently. I wouldn't say that's a "just," though, which minimizes it. Take a dozen or more separate tracks of music, EQ them, add effects, manage their levels and pan them across the stereo spectrum...it's a LOT harder than you might think. You can entirely change a song, as Desper did in that mix, basically doubling it in length and making it even more sparse and contemplative than the original.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

thomasogg
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2007, 11:47:07 PM »

'Student Demo Time' (absolute garbage) and 'Take a Load off Your Feet' are perhaps two of the worst songs in the entire BB catalogue, yet I would still give this flawed album 5 out of 5 simply because the rest of the material on the record ranks as some of the BEST music they ever produced. Carl's 2 songs are both masterpieces, while Disney Girls is by far Bruce's finest BB moment, his only genuinely great BB track. And of course all of the last 3 tracks by Brian are utterly great! The exclusion of Dennis' tracks is a travesty, and one which has never really had a coherent explanation given as to why his songs were excluded.. Did Al really need to have more writing credits on the record than any other member but Brian? If '..Feet' had been replaced by any one of 'Lady', '4th Of July' or 'Wouldn't It Be Nice..' the album would've been up their with Pet Sounds in terms of artistic merit! As it is, it remains a great album and very much a personal favourite! I thank you.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2007, 03:54:08 AM »

Yes, you are correct: the Desper mix loops existing material, mixed differently. I wouldn't say that's a "just," though, which minimizes it. Take a dozen or more separate tracks of music, EQ them, add effects, manage their levels and pan them across the stereo spectrum...it's a LOT harder than you might think. You can entirely change a song, as Desper did in that mix, basically doubling it in length and making it even more sparse and contemplative than the original.

Well since Im not a music buff (ie: ive never mixed anything or recorded anything really) I would have no idea. Im sure it is complex, my uncle owns a really big recording studio in Australia and I have watched him work and it is crazy how complex it looks (to me anyway).

'Student Demo Time' (absolute garbage) and 'Take a Load off Your Feet' are perhaps two of the worst songs in the entire BB catalogue, yet I would still give this flawed album 5 out of 5 simply because the rest of the material on the record ranks as some of the BEST music they ever produced. Carl's 2 songs are both masterpieces, while Disney Girls is by far Bruce's finest BB moment, his only genuinely great BB track. And of course all of the last 3 tracks by Brian are utterly great! The exclusion of Dennis' tracks is a travesty, and one which has never really had a coherent explanation given as to why his songs were excluded.. Did Al really need to have more writing credits on the record than any other member but Brian? If '..Feet' had been replaced by any one of 'Lady', '4th Of July' or 'Wouldn't It Be Nice..' the album would've been up their with Pet Sounds in terms of artistic merit! As it is, it remains a great album and very much a personal favourite! I thank you.

I like Take A Load Off Your Feet.. I mean its just a fun little track. There is a lot of BB songs that if you forget about the silly subject matter and dont take it too seriously then it can be quite enjoyable. Obviously nowhere near the class of say Surfs Up or whatever but still a harmless little fun tune in my opinion. I agree with you about Student Demonstration Time though. I mean what would you rather STD (a song that they didnt even REALLY write) or Lady or some other DW song... I think I know what 99.99% of people would say...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »

I like Take A Load Off Your Feet.. I mean its just a fun little track. There is a lot of BB songs that if you forget about the silly subject matter and dont take it too seriously then it can be quite enjoyable. Obviously nowhere near the class of say Surfs Up or whatever but still a harmless little fun tune in my opinion.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's a silly song--who cares? It also has a nice hook, it's singable and it's very well recorded, if slightly over-produced for my taste. An album of "serious" songs (which, in my opinion, are usually tedious when the Beach Boys do them--they aren't the most deep-thinking band, lyrically speaking) would get old. So why not be funny for a while, be silly for a while? It's a lightweight, but it's nice.

thomasogg
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2007, 02:25:48 PM »

I agree that 'Student Demo..' is the real lowpoint on Surf's Up, but you gotta be realistic.. There's no way Mike'd ever allow his track not to be included, no matter how blatantly bad it was! Al on the other hand already had 3 songs on the album, so it really would've been more fair for the weakest of his three tracks ('..Feet') to be excluded to make way for one of Dennis's songs.  There's no real democracy in one member being entirely excluded really is there? But then, why didn't they just release a standard 12 track album?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2007, 05:34:05 AM »

I agree that 'Student Demo..' is the real lowpoint on Surf's Up, but you gotta be realistic.. There's no way Mike'd ever allow his track not to be included, no matter how blatantly bad it was! Al on the other hand already had 3 songs on the album, so it really would've been more fair for the weakest of his three tracks ('..Feet') to be excluded to make way for one of Dennis's songs.  There's no real democracy in one member being entirely excluded really is there? But then, why didn't they just release a standard 12 track album?

It had nothing to do with each member getting a chance on the album. Dennis's songs were taken off after an argument with Carl I believe
thomasogg
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »

Oh for f... Yes, but it would've been nice though wouldn't it?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »

I give this album a 4.....I like the "darker" feel on this album compared to other BB records...
Don't Go Near The Water is kinda cool, I dig the message

Long Promised Road....brilliant...can't get enough listens, nice transition from the first song

Take A Load.... has a really smooth melody, quirky in the good sense of the world

Disney Girls  Really the only Bruce song I can kind of tolerate...

SDT....well, uh, I get the impression Mike is trying TOO hard to be cool, but I like the message... musically I'm not crazy about it

Feel Flows....Love it, totally, 100% original, unique to the 'Boys

Looking At Tomorrow...Love it.....I can relate to the message of this one, I'm sure we all can..."You know I could be doing, so much more..."

A Day In The Life.......I LOVE IT....can't get enough listens.....beautiful sound painting of a tree...

Till I Die and Surfs Up....These songs suck....I wish I never heard them.....just kidding....words can do no justice to the beauty of these two

this album is not quite a 5, but definitely a 4.........IMO

Rock!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »

=A Day In The Life.......I LOVE IT....can't get enough listens.....beautiful sound painting of a tree...

Thats funny because I always thought it was a beautiful metaphor for Brian's degenerating condition.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2007, 04:11:39 PM »

=A Day In The Life.......I LOVE IT....can't get enough listens.....beautiful sound painting of a tree...

Thats funny because I always thought it was a beautiful metaphor for Brian's degenerating condition.

That is how most people interpret it. But remember, it's a Rieley lyric. Brian's condition may be more in our heads than the writer's intent. (but maybe not. ask Rieley.)

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2007, 06:18:47 PM »

That is how most people interpret it. But remember, it's a Rieley lyric. Brian's condition may be more in our heads than the writer's intent. (but maybe not. ask Rieley.)

Oh I know... Mozart didn't write any of his librettos but don't you think he identified with the music enough to put a bit of himself into it? In any case I think Brian had to have seen the application and maybe thats why he was so drawn to it?

The first time I heard the song I thought it was post 76 Brian singing and in light of how so many of his songs where self fullfilled prophecies (like I Just Wasn't Made For These Times) its kinda funny that at the time it was recorded he still possessed most of his boyish sweetness. But he gave the lyric to Jack to sing with his whispy/breathy voice.

I love that song on so many levels.  Razz
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2007, 07:55:55 PM »

Where, may I ask, did you hear a post 76 Brian singing that...Huh? I'm intrigued.....I also know what you mean when you used the librettos analogy, and agree.... Still, more or less, it is a sound painting of a tree....
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2007, 11:28:57 AM »

Where, may I ask, did you hear a post 76 Brian singing that...Huh? I'm intrigued.....I also know what you mean when you used the librettos analogy, and agree.... Still, more or less, it is a sound painting of a tree....

I didn't. I meant that in my ignorance I used to think the Riley vocals were Brians post blown-out vocals (which I later learned where a post 1975 developement).  Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx