gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:17:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 167371 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »

I really like it, too. It's a little on the maudlin side, but it's really well done in my opinion. Bruce should have contributed a lot more, based on how talented a guy he was. I understand that this is a band that had a lot of talented people contributing, but even so, this guy was a great singer, a really good keyboard player, a solid musician all around, a good producer/arranger. It's strange to see so few things, especially considering the poorer material that ended up on some albums, or the droughts between albums.

Also, as corny as his approach may have seemed to the trying-hard-to-be-progressive faction of the band, I think that was a nice yin-yang. Especially since Brian was corny as hell while being progressive, serving as the perfect conduit between the two sides.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »

I really like it, too. It's a little on the maudlin side, but it's really well done in my opinion. Bruce should have contributed a lot more, based on how talented a guy he was. I understand that this is a band that had a lot of talented people contributing, but even so, this guy was a great singer, a really good keyboard player, a solid musician all around, a good producer/arranger. It's strange to see so few things, especially considering the poorer material that ended up on some albums, or the droughts between albums.

Also, as corny as his approach may have seemed to the trying-hard-to-be-progressive faction of the band, I think that was a nice yin-yang. Especially since Brian was corny as hell while being progressive, serving as the perfect conduit between the two sides.

I agree, but I wonder if Bruce felt like the outsider again when he rejoined the group full time in the late 1970s. 
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 31, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »

I like this one a lot, one of my favorite BB albums. It's full of beautiful, tuneful songs that are worth listening to over and over again. Add Some Music to Your Day is awesome with it's shared lead vocals from the group (I wish they had done that more often), Forever is Dennis' big moment, but other songs are highlights as well. Our Sweet Love is very nice and I can't get enough of Carl's tender vocals; Deirdre is probably my favorite Bruce song, and Cool, Cool Water is a great vocal experiment that's catchy as heck. Shout out to Slip on Through for being another solid contribution from Dennis. Some of the material is a bit too cheesy, the songs aren't as strong or substantive as on Pet Sounds and it's obviously not as wild as Smile. But Sunflower can stack up against virtually any other BB album. This, Surf's Up and Holland are their strongest albums of the 70's in my view.

4.5/5

Danny White
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 05, 2020, 09:55:00 AM »

Anybody out there have Studio locations at Sunset Sound for Sunflower? Thanks, Danny
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx