gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:18:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate 15 Big Ones
5 - 9 (6.2%)
4 - 22 (15.2%)
3 - 44 (30.3%)
2 - 49 (33.8%)
1 - 17 (11.7%)
0 - 4 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 132

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 15 Big Ones  (Read 75603 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »

Perhaps a tad harsh...but not overly so.  Why we felt we [or why they felt they] had to settle for this was and is beyond me.

Still that's not how it went.  They didn't lift and separate.  And so we have what we have now...and really?  There are only a few grains of sand left in the hour glass named for The Beach Boys.  I guess we better face it.  Encorage any last projects...solo or otherwise and catch 'em where ever we can in whatever presentation they offer us...'cause time is almost up.

I am going to try my best to stop blaming any of them for not being perfect...because what they gave us collectively far outweighs the bad and the unpleasant...including these here LOL 15 inappropriately named 'big' ones.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »

Perhaps a tad harsh...but not overly so.  Why we felt we [or why they felt they] had to settle for this was and is beyond me.

Still that's not how it went.  They didn't lift and separate.  And so we have what we have now...and really?  There are only a few grains of sand left in the hour glass named for The Beach Boys.  I guess we better face it.  Encorage any last projects...solo or otherwise and catch 'em where ever we can in whatever presentation they offer us...'cause time is almost up.

I am going to try my best to stop blaming any of them for not being perfect...because what they gave us collectively far outweighs the bad and the unpleasant...including these here LOL 15 inappropriately named 'big' ones.

Yes, and the fact that even C50 ended on a bitter note just makes it all the more tragic. Just reaffirms my statement. They should have realized with Endless Summer/15/POB that they all had different interests. Mike wanted to shamelessly relive the past forever, Al is just Al, Dennis had outgrown the band and was ready to move on to bigger and better things, Brian ought to have worried about regaining his composure and better himself rather than be everyone's meal ticket, Carl probably could have went solo too if he had found better collaborators than he did in real life.

Instead, they stayed together and from what I've read of them, the late 70s on was full of tension, fights, creative differences and unhappiness for all. And the albums weren't even all that great. I really like Love You, but that's mostly Brian. It doesn't work as a Beach Boys album, but as a Brian album it's fascinating and I'd have liked to see more of that, not have him be distracted working on future stinkers like LA.

But you're right, can't change the past. And it seems like they finally figured it out now. Brian gets to do whatever he wants, Mike and company make a living reliving the old glory days for all eternity. The only loser in this scenario is poor old Al.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
KDS
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »

Almost gave it a three, but settled on a two. 

Hard to believe that this is the same band that earlier in the decade put out Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland.  Even CATP, which isn't my favorite album, had a lot more creativity.  But, then Endless Summer forever made The Beach Boys a nostalgia band. 

Blondie and Ricky were jettisoned, and Brian Wilson was brought back into the fold.  Like an athlete coming off an injury too soon, the results are not good. 

The covers are pretty lifeless at times.  Rock and Roll Music is anything but (much better in concert).  Had The Beach Boys covered In the Still of the Night around 1964, it would probably be as good as Hushabye was.  Here, not so much.  Both Brian's and Dennis's voices are going downhill. 

The song that best describes this album - It's OK (basically Do It Again for the late 1970s).  The song was OK, and so is the album. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2015, 09:38:19 AM »

1. Rock And Roll Music 2/5
2. It's OK 3/5
3. Had To Phone Ya 5/5
4. Chapel Of Love 3/5
5. Everyone's In Love With You 4/5
6. Talk To Me 2/5
7. That Same Song 1/5
8. TM Song 0/5
9. Palisades Park 4/5
10. Susie Cincinnati 4/5
11. A Casual Look 3/5
12. Blueberry Hill 4/5
13. Back Home 3/5
14. In The Still Of The Night 1/5
15. Just Once In My Life 4/5

Going back through it track by track, it's actually better then I often give it credit. Still, a massive disappointment after Holland. Putting Brian back in sole charge was a mistake.
(Just about scrapes a) 3/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2016, 11:01:27 PM »

I hadn't listened to it in a few years, so I put it on tonight, and it was actually much better than I remembered it being. Rock and Roll Music, It's Ok, Susie Cincinnati, Everyone's in Love With You - I like all of those; Palisades Park is good, but Blueberry Hill? Doesn't come close to topping the Fats Domino version. Just Once in My Life seems in too low a key to bring out the best in Carl's voice, and Brian does not sound good here. In fact, I had forgotten how different Brian sounds on this album. It's like he's consciously trying to sing in a low register. It's not the sweet Brian voice of Let Him Run Wild, In My Room, or Don't Worry Baby; but it's not the older Brian voice of BW88 or Orange Crate Art, either. There's a stellar cast of supporting musicians on the album, but for reasons I don't understand, it doesn't translate into great backing tracks. So it's not the steaming pile of excrement I thought it was, but it's still a big dropoff from Holland.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »

1. Rock And Roll Music 1/5
2. It's OK 1/5
3. Had To Phone Ya 5/5
4. Chapel Of Love 1/5
5. Everyone's In Love With You 1/5
6. Talk To Me 2/5
7. That Same Song 3/5
8. TM Song 5/5
9. Palisades Park 5/5
10. Susie Cincinnati 3/5
11. A Casual Look 1/5
12. Blueberry Hill 4/5
13. Back Home 4/5
14. In The Still Of The Night 5/5
15. Just Once In My Life 5/5
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »

The originals are alright for the most part, the cover songs range from damn good to meh to tedious. Should've just used 15 of the cover songs they recorded as the album and made the originals an EP.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »

1. Rock And Roll Music: 6/10
2. Itīs Ok: 6/10
3. Had to Phone ya: 10/10
4. Chapel of Love: 5/10
5. Everyone in love with you: 10/10
6. Talk to Me: 7/10
7: That Same Song: 1/10
8: TM Song: 9/10
9: Palisades Park: 10/10
10: Susie Cinccinati: 10/10
11: A Casual Look: 10/10
12: Blueberry Hill: 10/10
13: Back Home: 8/10
14: In The Still of The Night: 10/10
15: Just Once My Life: 10/10

This is My favourite album
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »

1. Rock And Roll Music 3/5
2. It's OK 5/5
3. Had To Phone Ya 5/5
4. Chapel Of Love 4/5
5. Everyone's in Love With You 2/5
6. Talk to Me 3/5
7. That Same Song 4/5
8. TM Song 4/5
9. Palisades Park 3/5
10. Susie Cincinnati 2/5
11. A Casual Look 4/5
12. Blueberry Hill 4/5
13. Back Home 5/5
14. In the Still of the Night 4/5
15. Just Once in My Life 5/5

I play this one quite often.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »

2.5/5

I like some of the originals. Had to Phone Ya is quite lovely, and It's OK is catchy. Back Home just rocks, would've loved to hear the boys do this version of the song in the 60's/early 70's. That Same Song is corny, but I love the chorus with the gospel choir and shows that the group had at least some creative flair left. Susie Cincanitti is alright, too. I dislike Everyone's in Love with You and The TM Song. The covers are...a mixed bag. Rock 'N Roll Music has only been covered by uh, everyone, and the BB's version just doesn't add anything new to it, so it ends up sounding generic to me. Blueberry Hill and In the Still of the Night are also boring. Chapel of Love is decent, as I love that song in general, but Brian's hoarse vocals are really distracting here. His falsetto ad-libs during the song (yeah yeah yeah's, 'all the birds all sing') sound like someone making fun of Brian Wilson rather than Brian Wilson himself. At least it has some energy. Perhaps the only one I really like is Just Once in My Life, as it has a lot of emotion and the chorus is powerful. Also it's one of those songs that seems sad to me when I think about what Brian and the boys were going through in the 70's and 80's. It sounds like the type of song you sing when you're saying goodbye to someone, or something, like the world is about to change but not really for the better. Not a bad album, but hugely disappointing considering what the band was doing just a few years earlier.
CarlWilsonfan101
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is my #1!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2019, 09:33:19 AM »

I love this album to bits! It's my personal favorite BB album

Carl Wilson is the best Beach Boy!

"Subconsciously, I'm very religious." - Carl Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: