gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:05:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hearing Beach Boys songs with fresh ears - still possible after all these years!  (Read 2554 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2018, 05:38:33 AM »

Bit of a weird one for a topic but bear with me:

I haven't been listening to the BBs much at all over the last few years. I felt I had burned out on them to an extent having listened (like many here) to the catalogue excessively for decades.

The other day I was away on a guys weekend away. We rent a caravan every year and do a bit of body boarding. My friend has a cheap portable turntable and we all take some records. He knows I'm a BB nut and he bought the following along which he'd found in a charity store:

His sound system is terrible and the speakers were doing really odd phasey things. I had no idea what compilation he'd put on and when Don't Talk came on I just could not place it AT ALL, other than knowing it was one of my favourite BB songs. Removed from its weighty 'Pet Sounds' context it became this shimmering, spacey, mind-blowingly beautiful piece of music. It was the only thing that actually sounded good on his sh*tty system. This moment probably only lasted 10 seconds but it was like hearing it afresh all over again and I got that amazing buzz of musical epiphany that I'm sure is familiar to many fans here. That 'holy moly!' jolt when The Beach Boys first hook you in. It's just so hard accessing that fresh 'Wow' moment when you listen to the band day in day out, getting mired in band politics, the board punch-ups etc.

But I'm here to confirm that it's still possible, jaded Smiley Smilers!!

Needless to say I'm digging out all my Beach Boys LPs again. There's a lot to be said for some of these crazy budget complications that throw all eras of the band together in one head-spinning hotch-potch. I'm tempted to buy a copy of Sunshine Dream - that one looks mental!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 07:11:24 AM »

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago!

I played endless summer during a beach trip and went right back into the catalog.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »

That is one bizarre track listing.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beach-Boys-The-Beach-Boys/release/726715

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »

I had no idea what compilation he'd put on and when Don't Talk came on I just could not place it AT ALL, other than knowing it was one of my favourite BB songs. Removed from its weighty 'Pet Sounds' context it became this shimmering, spacey, mind-blowingly beautiful piece of music.

That's been the fun of listening to the Sirius station for me. Some of the songs sound so different without their context. Some fun surprises.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »

Yeah no kidding! It was perfect for a bbq though. There’s something refreshing about the complete disregard for historical context that these cash-grab compilations have.

I do find it frustrating that there is no really good BBs deep cuts compilation available. I wish they’d accompanied Made In California with a vinyl release.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »

I do find it frustrating that there is no really good BBs deep cuts compilation available. I wish they’d accompanied Made In California with a vinyl release.

Please excuse the self-quote. Having trawled Discogs I was frustrated that I couldn’t find a good BB deep cuts compilation on vinyl. But after posting I thought i’d Have one more try and I found exactly what I was looking for - The Beach Boys Capitol Years looks like it has some brilliantly sequenced LPs - especially the disc dedicated to the Friends / 20/20 era. As I understand it the SQ is not ideal but looks like a great set.

nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 04:48:13 PM »

Please excuse the self-quote. Having trawled Discogs I was frustrated that I couldn’t find a good BB deep cuts compilation on vinyl. But after posting I thought i’d Have one more try and I found exactly what I was looking for - The Beach Boys Capitol Years looks like it has some brilliantly sequenced LPs - especially the disc dedicated to the Friends / 20/20 era. As I understand it the SQ is not ideal but looks like a great set.

We were talking about this on Discord earlier and it's amazing how many BB compilation releases there are. The overseas ones tend to have more interesting (read: more random) track listings. But they generally mix the great hits in with weird cuts, or ones that did well locally (South Africans enjoyed Cherry Cherry Coupe for some reason.) Then there are various compilations with tracks labeled by the Beach Boys that were never recorded by them at all.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 11:43:31 AM »

Bit of a weird one for a topic but bear with me:

I haven't been listening to the BBs much at all over the last few years. I felt I had burned out on them to an extent having listened (like many here) to the catalogue excessively for decades.

The other day I was away on a guys weekend away. We rent a caravan every year and do a bit of body boarding. My friend has a cheap portable turntable and we all take some records. He knows I'm a BB nut and he bought the following along which he'd found in a charity store:

His sound system is terrible and the speakers were doing really odd phasey things. I had no idea what compilation he'd put on and when Don't Talk came on I just could not place it AT ALL, other than knowing it was one of my favourite BB songs. Removed from its weighty 'Pet Sounds' context it became this shimmering, spacey, mind-blowingly beautiful piece of music. It was the only thing that actually sounded good on his sh*tty system. This moment probably only lasted 10 seconds but it was like hearing it afresh all over again and I got that amazing buzz of musical epiphany that I'm sure is familiar to many fans here. That 'holy moly!' jolt when The Beach Boys first hook you in. It's just so hard accessing that fresh 'Wow' moment when you listen to the band day in day out, getting mired in band politics, the board punch-ups etc.

But I'm here to confirm that it's still possible, jaded Smiley Smilers!!

Needless to say I'm digging out all my Beach Boys LPs again. There's a lot to be said for some of these crazy budget complications that throw all eras of the band together in one head-spinning hotch-potch. I'm tempted to buy a copy of Sunshine Dream - that one looks mental!
Could it be the phasiness of the sound was the result of fake stereo?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx