gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:17:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs Mike sang lead on that he did not write lyrics for  (Read 3822 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »

There don't seem to be many of these... except, ironically, numerous examples on his solo album Looking Back With Love.

Off the top of my head (excluding cover songs, obviously):

Airplane
Here Today
That's Not Me (partial lead)
Cabinessence (partial lead part)
Sweet & Bitter

I still cannot understand why Mike didn't write lyrics to the Looking Back With Love album. It's as though somebody had a fully completed album made for Mike with virtually no involvement by him, and he went in for a day or two to drop some lead vocals in. Actually, that's probably exactly what happened! Odd.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »

All I Want to Do (from 20/20)

California Saga/California
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 01:22:27 AM »

I've always had a feeling that Mike had a hand in the lyrics for Airplane

"My lover is waiting at the airport
Soon she'll be kissing me hello
The woman sitting next to me tells me 'bout her guy
And I tell her all about you and I"

This reeks of the Lovester to me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:59:03 AM »

Surfin' USA
Shut down
Little deuce coupe

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:20:08 AM »

I've always had a feeling that Mike had a hand in the lyrics for Airplane

"My lover is waiting at the airport
Soon she'll be kissing me hello
The woman sitting next to me tells me 'bout her guy
And I tell her all about you and I"

This reeks of the Lovester to me

Beyond Mike not receiving credit on the song (he does receive credits on other songs in this era that he contributed lyrics for with Brian), Mike is sitting next to Brian while Brian records that 1976 "demo" tape that includes "Airplane", and Mike seems largely unfamiliar with the songs Brian's demo-ing. He goes so far as to tell Brian (slightly paraphrasing from memory) "If I don't get that lead, I'll f**king quit the group." This demo tape is one of the most sympathetic portrayals of Mike ever, as it's a rare case of Mike showing genuine appreciation of not simply Brian's music, but of specific chord changes (reacting to the end chord change on "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" for instance), and also having great enthusiasm for stuff Brian has written. To put it bluntly, I don't picture Mike sitting next to Brian during the "That's Why God Made the Radio" sessions gushing over songs Brian was bringing to the project and being *so* enthusiastic about one of Brian's songs that he (Mike) would go so far as to jokingly threaten to quit the group if he doesn't get the lead.

In any event, all of the context of that tape indicates Mike has probably not heard "Airplane" before, and he talks about singing it very much as a case of Brian "giving" the song to him (Mike). And, "Airplane" is pretty much fully intact musically and lyrically (a few tiny changes are made, such as "my girlfriend" to "my lover", and "I hope she kisses me hello" to "Soon she'll be kissing me hello") apart from the "can't wait" tag that was actually recorded very late in the game after the main part of the finished master for the song was recorded.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:08:38 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up Hey Jude. I've always felt the same about Roller Skating Child too, very Mike Love like lyrics.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

Sloop John B.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »

Sloop John B.

I'm excluding cover songs here  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:32:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 11:32:29 PM »

California Calling.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 11:13:42 PM »

County Fair
Little Deuce Coupe
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »

MIke only co-write a few "Love You" songs, so stuff like "Ding Dang", "Airplane", "Roller Skating Child", kind of "Love is a Woman", and "Johnny Carson" feature his lead parts without having co-written the songs.

Mike also sang "Child of Winter" which he didn't have a hand in.

I don't think he's credited on "HELP Is On the Way", right?

There's some MIU stuff that Mike sang lead parts on that he isn't credited as writing:

Hey Little Tomboy (B. Wilson)
Winds of Change (Altbach-Tuleja) (yes, kind of a "cover", but I'd call this more an *original* written by outside writers; they weren't picking a song because they were referencing another band's recording)

He also sings a few lead lines on:

Santa Ana Winds (Jardine-B.Wilson)
Island Girl (Jardine)

Technically one line on:

You're Still a Mystery (B.Wilson-Paley)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:36:33 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 05:17:58 PM »

Weren't there a lot of songs on the first four albums or so that he sang lead on, with lyrics written by Gary Usher or Roger Christian? i.e. Shut Down, County Fair, Heads You Win, Ten Little Indians, etc.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up Hey Jude. I've always felt the same about Roller Skating Child too, very Mike Love like lyrics.

I cannot picture Mike, at 35 years of age, writing a song about "making sweet love till the sun goes down" to a roller skating child.

Brian, yes, its just "Brian being Brian," obvious to the incorrectness of stating you're going to make sweet love till the sun goes down to a "child" and even do more when her mama's not around.

Then again, I've always been baffled as to why the BBs had no problem performing the song in concert.

Overall, it's a great rocking' song, and if It were titled and sung as "Roller Skating Beauty" the cringe worthy element would go away and I'd be able to enjoy the song a zillion times more.

Bottom line -  Mike had nothing to do with these inane lyrics.

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 02:27:37 AM »

It looks really bad now, from a lyrical standpoint.  As do a string of those types of songs that Brian wrote in that era, including Lazy Lizzie and Hey Little Tomboy. 

Part of it is that it was just the era- this happened a lot then and wasn't really majorly taboo yet at that point.  Reference Ringo Starr covering "You're 16, You're Beautiful" as a 33 year old, and making a music video of it as a 37 year old (with Carrie Fisher, give it a watch) right around the same time Love You was released... part of it is just "Brian being Brian" at that point, with some sort of naivety or childlikeness in viewpoint of the lyrics... part of it might be something a bit ignored or explained away by fans, that is pretty uncomfortable to confront. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx