gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:10:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This week in BB History June 25-30  (Read 2463 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2018, 07:16:37 AM »

Late June 1963 the BBs appeared at the Skate-O-Rama in Downey, CA-with the Blazers and Kathy Marshall.  On June 29 1963 they played the Las Vegas Convention Center. On June 24 the BBs were at United to begin work on the Christmas Album. Sessions continued on June 25 at Western. On June 26 1964-The BBs played in San Jose with Bobby Freeman, Rene and Rene and the Paris Sisters.  They then continued sessions on the Christmas album, which lasted from June 27 to June 30, 1964.  June 24 1966-The BBs played the Cow Palace in San Francisco- with the Lovin Spoonful, Chad and Jeremy, Percy Sledge, The Outsiders (Time Won’t Let Me), Leaves (Hey Joe), The Sir Douglas Quintet, The Sunrays, Neil Diamond, Byrds and Jefferson Airplane. Ralph Gleason, co-founder of Rolling Stone Magazine, was dismissive of the group (foreshadowing the general anti-LA vibe of the San Fran scene) “Personally I can take them on records but in person I find them unbearable.  They look so cliché surfer.” The following day they played the Hollywood Bowl with Love, Percy Sledge, Captain Beefheart, The Outsiders, Neil Diamond, The Leaves, Chad and Jeremy, Byrds, The Sunrays, the Lovin’ Spoonful and the New Motown Sound.

June 1967-the BBs were at Brian’s house working on Smiley Smile. June 25 and 26 they worked on Good Time Mama (this wasn’t released last year as the tape box is missing-though it’s possible, according to Howie Edelson, that it was just a working title for She’s Going Bald) June 28 and 29 they worked on Little Pad and Fall Breaks (Woody Woodpecker Symphony) and on June 30 they recorded With Me Tonight. June 26 1968-This was probably a Dennis session-he is only BB on AFM.  June 28 1968- ID Sound- Brian only, as Producer on I’ll Keep On Loving You and As Tears Go By (Ron Wilson Session)

June 25 1969-Having just concluded their European tour, Mike and Bruce appeared on Top of the Pops to intro film footage shot at Leeds and air a promo-clip of Breakaway.  Bruce remained in England to record Graham Bonney, while Mike arrived back in NYC on June 29.
June 24 1971 the BBs started a new tour at Celebration Island in Pointe Coupee, LA -Without Dennis who was recovering from his hand injury. The BBs played the Beggars Banquet Festival in Toronto on June 26 with Alice Cooper, Bread, Chilliwack, Steppenwolf, Blood Rock, and Lighthouse.  The reviewer gave them a typical (of the time) backhanded compliment: “Who would have thought that the Beach Boys candy coated hits like California Girls would turn out to be the basement level high point of the Banquet.” They then headed to the closing of the Fillmore East on June 27 with Mountain, the Allman Brothers, the J Geils Band, Albert King, Edgar Winters, and Country Joe McDonald.  In my book I related how the BBs almost got kicked off the bill because of some last minute arguments about their non-headline billing. The BBs played in Montreal on June 30 and were apparently rejoined at these shows by Dennis.

June 24-28 1975 the Beachago tour played at the Capitol Center in Landover, MD-the shows were taped for a possible live album by Phil Ramone, which was prevented by the usual contractual hassles.  They were also filmed for the Nov 1975 documentary “Fun, Fun, Fun” hosted by Tom Curtis. Prior to the first show the BBs visited the White House as guests of Susan Ford, the President’s daughter and a big fan. The next night members of the BBs, Chicago and the Pointer Sisters all attended a private screening of Jaws at the Jennifer Theater after the concert-the party lasted till 5 AM. Jun 29 1975-Beachago played the Schaeffer Center in Foxboro, MA.

June 27 1977-A master of the Adult Child album was assembled. June 25 1978 the BBs played The Meadowlands with Stanky Brown, Steve Miller and Pablo Cruise on June 25 1978.  The NY Times praised Brian’s “strong leads” and their performances of songs from Almost Summer (In the middle of each show on this tour, Mike played a solo set of “Almost Summer”, “Cruisin’”, “Everyone’s In Love with You” and “Country Pie.”  Illustrating the dysfunctionality of this period-the Wilsons all left the stage during this mini-set.  Jun 27-28 1978-The BBs worked on Santa Ana Winds and Winds of Change (overdubs). On Jun 29 1978-the MIU album was mastered in final form.

June 25 1981 the BBs were on tour, without Carl, and played at Butler University in Indianapolis, IN with Glen Super. The Indianapolis Star noted that the decision to play only early hits created a set that was monotonous and "there was no production.  They simply came out and did their thing.  Little fanfare, little talk and no attempt to establish rapport with the overflowing crowd-they do that with their music." The tour then moved to Cleveland, OH on June 26. Jane Scott commented in the Plain Dealer, “A big drawback, ironically, was the mastermind of the group, Brian Wilson.  He sat glumly at the piano, almost as if hypnotized.  'C'mon Brian,' one of the group yelled to him when he should have started to play.  When he did sing a song, God only knows it was a mistake.  His voice was rough and tuneless." The tour played Nashville on June 27, Charlotte on June 28 and Charleston, SC on June 30 1981.

June 25 1982 the BBs were on tour with Carl but now minus both his brothers. They play King’s Dominion in Virginia that night and Evansville, IN the next night.  The tour concluded in Charlotte, NC on June 27.  Charles Johnson of the Observer was disappointed by the group's insistence on only playing hits.  He commented, "That emphasis ignored the group's inventive work that followed 'Good Vibrations,' a No. 1 hit in 1966. After repeated commercial and artistic failures in the 1970s, the Beach Boys in concert have returned to their oldest and safest material. Although three of the group's original members...appeared at Carowinds, the group often sounded as if it were only a shadow of it's former self...But Carl Wilson injected style and emotion into his few lead vocals, especially on the lovely 'God Only Knows' and 'Good Vibrations.'”

June 24 1983 Carl was on a brief solo tour to promote Youngblood.  He played the Greek Theater in LA as opener for America on this night and the next. On June 26 they played at Irvine Meadows.  Veronica Young of the Orange County Register commented that Carl “appeared to be having more fun than he has at most Beach Boys concerts…Wilson’s material ranged from mellow originals, strongly affected by a Beach Boys’ influence from the album eras of Pet Sounds, Surf’s Up and the more recent MIU, to some rocky remakes, ranging from a 1957 hit by the Coasters, ‘Youngblood,’ (also the title song from Wilson’s latest LP) to a 1970 gold record by Sly and the Family Stone, ‘Thank You.’” The tour ended with a show at the Old Waldorf Club in San Francisco on June 29 1983. June 28 1984-The BBs appeared on the Tonight Show for the first time in sixteen years. They were interviewed by Joan Rivers-on Brian’s weight loss, James Watt, the upcoming July 4 show and groupies-and then they sang Graduation Day. The next day they played at the Pacific Amphitheater.  Jim Washburn of the Orange County Register singled out Carl’s vocals as “the only proof that the group is still capable of being more than just human jukeboxes.  His hauntingly beautiful ballad ‘Heaven,’ dedicated to his brother Dennis, carried an emotional spark the Beach Boys could certainly use more of.” The BBs played at Candlestick Park on June 30 1984.

June 27 1985 the BBs played in Milwaukee. The next day they were at Lamar University in Beaumont, TX with Joan Jett. They played Oklahoma City on June 29 and Arlington, TX on June 30.  June 28 and 29 1986-Brian Wilson and Gary Usher held sessions for “He Couldn’t Get His Poor Old Body To Move” and “So Long”. Meanwhile the BBs played dates in Canada, New York and Michigan.  June 24 1987 the BBs played in Pittsburgh, PA.  Brian was filling in for Al for a week of dates.  Terry Hazlett of the Observer Reporter commented, “Although Wilson is a brilliant composer, he’s past his performing technique. Looking out of place in an oversized suit, he sang off-key versions of ‘Don’t Worry Baby’ and ‘In My Room’ and seemed to think he was part of a Vegas act instead of a rock show.  He waltzed across the stage and gestured to the audience as if he were a lounge singer.” They played in Milwaukee on June 25 and Cleveland the next night.  Jane Scott commented, “Wilson crisscrossed the stage, singing lead on ‘Help Me Rhonda.’ He wasn’t actually spontaneous-there was the feeling his moves had been carefully rehearsed-but he danced as he moved, sometimes backwards…His voice may be a little colorless and he has no facial expressions but the joy was in knowing that he could do this.” The tour continued with shows in Toronto (27) Maine (28) and Mansfield, MA (29, 30).

June 24 1988 the BBs were in Lennox, MA.  Shel Horowitz of the Union News reported, “Their music deserves better than this treatment. The group…was so lifeless that it seemed like someone had handed out guitars to a bunch of robots, wound them up, and told them to play.  There was not an ounce of creativity: not in the song selection and order, not in the wooden performance and certainly not in the way they chose to massacre their own creative work.  The show was a collection of medleys that completely buried each individual song.” The BBs played Wonderland in Maple, Ontario the next day. They then played in Keene, NH (26) Yankee Stadium (26-night) Vermont (27) Montreal, Canada (28-with Roy Orbison) and Edmonton (30)

June 25 1989 the Beachago reunion tour played Saratoga NY. Michael Hochandel of the Schenectady Gazette reported, “The harmonies were sharp last night and the show overall was above average for them…After the Beach Boys finished with signature surfing songs, Chicago returned and the two bands…crooned ‘Wishing You Were Here,’ than alternated Chicago and Beach Boys tunes deep into oldies land with ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll Music,’ ‘Midnight Hour’ and ‘Dancing In the Street.’” The Beachago tour then played four nights at Jones Beach.  Think I’ll stop here. June 29 1990 the BBs played a Canadian tour with Brian in place of Mike. They were in Calgary on June 29 and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan the next day.  Terry Craig of the Star Phoenix reported, “Unlike the previous time the group performed in Saskatoon, the reclusive Brian Wilson joined the band on stage.  However, singer Mike Love was noticeably absent. According to one backstage observer, Love and Wilson are in the middle of an acrimonious battle over control of the group… The four original band members-Al Jardine, Brian and Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnston-were augmented by a 7-piece backing band including television celebrity John Stamos.”  Think I’ll stop here.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »

Thanks as always, Ian! It's interesting to note the negative reviews that point out the heavy leaning on oldies. And also the reviews that single out Carl's vocals were good to see/read.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »

The 80's were rough for the Beach Boys. Very rough. It's a good thing CD's and CD reissues of the classic albums happened to bail them out and remind fans why they were fans.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »

Yeah I have more positive reviews but those ones kind of hit the nail on the head about that time-when I first went to a show
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »

Ian,

This whole "This week in BB History" thing you do is probably my favorite part of this board. You always manage to tease out some minor but super, super interesting tidbits that make visiting this board all the more worth it. If only all this could be collected in book form! And yes, I know of (and own) the tour book, but an overall Badman style book (but obviously much better with your unparalleled research) would be amazing!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »

Jim, you never know, but not this year!  I have a book coming out about the Rolling Stones though-in the fall.  Similar in format to the Beach Boys book.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »

Jim, you never know, but not this year!  I have a book coming out about the Rolling Stones though-in the fall.  Similar in format to the Beach Boys book.

Pretty cool, looking forward to that!

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »

Thanks it's from McFarland books and is in the editing stage but probably out in fall
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx