gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:07:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In my room /w Tammy Wynette and other unfinished Stars&Stripes songs  (Read 7066 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2018, 12:06:06 PM »

I was wonderin' if "In my room" off of the Stars&Stripes sessions was actually ever finished? We have a recording on the DVD ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGntEUmk3dE ) and a version released on "Tammy Wynette Remembered" with only Brian's vocals ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6B0hGjSgzA ). Now, I don't know if the DVD version is a finished master but it definitely sounds like it wasn't mixed like a master.
This performance actually was one of the highlights from the project. First Tammy's fantastic reading of the song stands out. But also it sounds more country than much of the released songs.
And am I right that of "Sail on sailor" only the rehearsal performance on the DVD exists and no studio recording? Also, Merle Haggard for whom Al recorded the "California saga"-demo AFAIK never actually got around to work on it? Will we ever get a release of a finished "In my room" with Tammy and the Beach Boys?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »

good question.

I always figured there were several more songs in the can for a volume 2, including Haggard and Crowell's. were the boys ever slated to do In My Room with Wynette? seems like it was intended as more of a Tammy/Brian collab and it works very well considering how personal/autobiographical the song is for Brian.

it's a shame the album as it stands is all we got and that it focused more on flash-in-the-pan, rather disposable renditions and less on country music royalty. was George Jones going to sing God Only Knows or was that just something I dreamed??

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:51:47 PM by bossaroo » Logged
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »

I was wonderin' if "In my room" off of the Stars&Stripes sessions was actually ever finished? We have a recording on the DVD ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGntEUmk3dE ) and a version released on "Tammy Wynette Remembered" with only Brian's vocals ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6B0hGjSgzA ). Now, I don't know if the DVD version is a finished master but it definitely sounds like it wasn't mixed like a master.
This performance actually was one of the highlights from the project. First Tammy's fantastic reading of the song stands out. But also it sounds more country than much of the released songs.
And am I right that of "Sail on sailor" only the rehearsal performance on the DVD exists and no studio recording? Also, Merle Haggard for whom Al recorded the "California saga"-demo AFAIK never actually got around to work on it? Will we ever get a release of a finished "In my room" with Tammy and the Beach Boys?

Am I missing something? The first half of the song seems to be her vocals on the link you posted for "Tammy Wynette Remembered."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:14 PM »

To be honest, I really don't have much interest in any kind of outtakes or unreleased stuff from these sessions, unless one of the members of the band is either singing or sharing a lead.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:21 PM »

To be honest, I really don't have much interest in any kind of outtakes or unreleased stuff from these sessions, unless one of the members of the band is either singing or sharing a lead.

I feel the same way.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 03:30:20 AM »

was George Jones going to sing God Only Knows or was that just something I dreamed?

I don't know if that idea ever floated around back then, but I put it on my "list" of ideas about what could and should have been the album:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12521.msg635016.html#msg635016

I feel the same way.

Basically I feel the same, too. But with legends like Tammy and Haggard it's different, because there is almost nothing you could do wrong (except not releasing it - and they even messed that up!).
But yeah, let's not kid ourselves. The big problem with this (apart from the selection of artists and songs) is that the Beach Boys were directly involved, including Brian as producer. It was clear that they wouldn't stray very far away from their original versions and also wouldn't be very open for experimenting with country styles and arrangements.

BTW does the version of "Winter wonderland" Collin Raye recorded with the Beach Boys on background, come from these sessions?

Am I missing something? The first half of the song seems to be her vocals on the link you posted for "Tammy Wynette Remembered."

That's just her and Brian. I wondered if a finished version with the Beach Boys (as on the DVD) will ever be released
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:37:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 05:29:38 AM »

I think a project like this could have worked(or been saved) if bigger name artists had been involved, like Johnny Cash, George Jones, or even Garth Brooks. But even then it would just be the same songs we've all heard before.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:39:55 AM »

Regarding Rodney Crowell's "Sail on Sailor", I always had the impression that those full-band (featuring a mixture of the touring BB band and Joe Thomas's session guys) rehearsals on a soundstage were post-studio session. I'm not sure if these were literally rehearsals for the eventual live "Fan Fair" show the BBs did with this same live band, or for something else.

But in most cases I think they were doing run-throughs of songs with artists that had already been recorded "properly" in the studio. But who knows, maybe Crowell dropped in and his first work with the band was at the rehearsal and they never recorded a "proper" studio version. But I think it's possible they *did* record it properly with him in the studio and it was held over (along with Wynette's track) for a "Volume 2" that was *clearly* planned based on the odd decision to name the album itself "Stars and Stripes Vol. 1."

The most worthwhile thing that can could still be done with those sessions would be to isolate some of the BB backing vocals and put them on an archival package. The newly-arranged backing vocals for "Caroline, No" are of course among the most noteworthy additions they made, and I believe a "vocals only" mix of their backing vocals on that one were played at one of the BB conventions back last decade.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »

Tammy may be "legend" but IMR with her is big bore, she doesn't sing the way I like. police Ditto Merle. Stars & Stripes didn't lose without these outtakes. Granted, it didn't win as well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:27:50 AM »

was George Jones going to sing God Only Knows or was that just something I dreamed?

I don't know if that idea ever floated around back then, but I put it on my "list" of ideas about what could and should have been the album:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12521.msg635016.html#msg635016

I feel the same way.

Basically I feel the same, too. But with legends like Tammy and Haggard it's different, because there is almost nothing you could do wrong (except not releasing it - and they even messed that up!).
But yeah, let's not kid ourselves. The big problem with this (apart from the selection of artists and songs) is that the Beach Boys were directly involved, including Brian as producer. It was clear that they wouldn't stray very far away from their original versions and also wouldn't be very open for experimenting with country styles and arrangements.

BTW does the version of "Winter wonderland" Collin Raye recorded with the Beach Boys on background, come from these sessions?

That's just her and Brian. I wondered if a finished version with the Beach Boys (as on the DVD) will ever be released

The Collin Raye "Winter Wonderland" and Jeff Foxworthy "Howdy from Maui" sessions took place while the Boys were in Nashville working on/promoting the SS cd, but were not technically SS sessions.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 08:29:19 AM »

I feel the same way.

Agree, but I WOULD be interested in a release that only contained the BB's BGV's for these tracks.  If you can eliminate the leads and just concentrate on the BGVs, man they are good

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »

I think a project like this could have worked(or been saved) if bigger name artists had been involved, like Johnny Cash, George Jones, or even Garth Brooks.

Yeah, if you look at the atists I'd have chosen (link above) Cash is of course there. I said it before, "Let the wind blow" would be the perfect choice for a latter day Cash performance. I can already hear that version in my head.

Tammy may be "legend" but IMR with her is big bore, she doesn't sing the way I like. police Ditto Merle. Stars & Stripes didn't lose without these outtakes. Granted, it didn't win as well.

Fair point, being legends doesn't mean you have to like them. But I'd advice you to listen to some of Tammy's songs. She was a great and soulful singer. Haggard the same, although his stuff is not always my cup of tea, dunno why, can't explain it. Al's demo btw sounds very much like Merle's singing style.

The most worthwhile thing that can could still be done with those sessions would be to isolate some of the BB backing vocals and put them on an archival package. The newly-arranged backing vocals for "Caroline, No" are of course among the most noteworthy additions they made, and I believe a "vocals only" mix of their backing vocals on that one were played at one of the BB conventions back last decade.

The vocals are a interesting thing. That's what I meant in a posting above. The participation of the Beach Boys didn't make for a lot of working with the songs and arrangements. The Boys were going to sing the arrangements they'd always sung, especially with Brian producing. And that's understandable. They worked their a$$es off back in the day to make the songs sound like they do and with the arrangements Brian wrote. It's probably not a good idea to do a tribute album to yourself. But that's the Beach Boys - always taking the easy way.
But the possibilities of a project of Beach Boys songs done by country artists is/was just tremendous. With the right artists and the right producer (Don Was for example) this could've been very worthwhile. Although we wouldn't have had the Beach Boys themselves singing when they'd followed what I have in mind.

@southbay: Thanks for the info on "Winter wonderland"! "Howy from Maui" sounds like mostly Jardines to me. Was that the whole band, including Brian?

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 10:14:49 AM »

where can we hear Al's demo of California? was it made specifically for Merle?

Tammy's In My Room is gorgeous, has brought me to tears on occasion. especially when she sings the line "I won't be afraid" which Brian specifically mentions to her when he's thanking her on the dvd. the footage of them sitting side by side at the board listening to the playback together is pretty special, and the fact that it was the very last thing she recorded before her death makes me appreciate it all the more.

are the Beach Boys featured on the dvd version or is it Brian doing multiple parts? they are nowhere to be seen in the video footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8O7b5AVVGY
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »

where can we hear Al's demo of California? was it made specifically for Merle?

Tammy's In My Room is gorgeous, has brought me to tears on occasion. especially when she sings the line "I won't be afraid" which Brian specifically mentions to her when he's thanking her on the dvd. the footage of them sitting side by side at the board listening to the playback together is pretty special, and the fact that it was the very last thing she recorded before her death makes me appreciate it all the more.

are the Beach Boys featured on the dvd version or is it Brian doing multiple parts? they are nowhere to be seen in the video footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8O7b5AVVGY

I believe I hear at least Carl on the DVD version.

Al's demo can be heard shortly in the "Endless harmony" documentary. It was released on a CD that came with ESQ IIRC. But I don't remember which one.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »

I think a project like this could have worked(or been saved) if bigger name artists had been involved, like Johnny Cash, George Jones, or even Garth Brooks.

Yeah, if you look at the atists I'd have chosen (link above) Cash is of course there. I said it before, "Let the wind blow" would be the perfect choice for a latter day Cash performance. I can already hear that version in my head.

Fair point, being legends doesn't mean you have to like them. But I'd advice you to listen to some of Tammy's songs. She was a great and soulful singer. Haggard the same, although his stuff is not always my cup of tea, dunno why, can't explain it. Al's demo btw sounds very much like Merle's singing style.

The vocals are a interesting thing. That's what I meant in a posting above. The participation of the Beach Boys didn't make for a lot of working with the songs and arrangements. The Boys were going to sing the arrangements they'd always sung, especially with Brian producing. And that's understandable. They worked their a$$es off back in the day to make the songs sound like they do and with the arrangements Brian wrote. It's probably not a good idea to do a tribute album to yourself. But that's the Beach Boys - always taking the easy way.
But the possibilities of a project of Beach Boys songs done by country artists is/was just tremendous. With the right artists and the right producer (Don Was for example) this could've been very worthwhile. Although we wouldn't have had the Beach Boys themselves singing when they'd followed what I have in mind.

@southbay: Thanks for the info on "Winter wonderland"! "Howy from Maui" sounds like mostly Jardines to me. Was that the whole band, including Brian?

WW was the whole band (and again, their BGV's on this are tremendous); pretty sure it was just Al and Matt on Maui

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »

Correct.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 04:59:28 AM »

Cool, thank you, guys!
I agree, "Winter wonderland" has some very nice backgrounds. I really would like to know how that came about.

BTW Al and Matt also contributed a song to a Garth Brooks tribute:

Papa loved Mama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twAqwWh_CdQ

They sound great on this one. Although Garth Brooks is not my style of country music, this is surprisingly pleasing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:53:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »

What I remember hearing back in that day was that while they were in Nashville the Boys were essentially bombarded with offers/requests to participate in sessions for multiple artists.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »

What I remember hearing back in that day was that while they were in Nashville the Boys were essentially bombarded with offers/requests to participate in sessions for multiple artists.

And all they could get done was a christmas song for Collin Raye??! I guess it's no wonder that the Beach Boys would get a lot of offers when in Nashville (Music City after all) especially since Brian was with them. But this is all that came to fruition?

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »

It's probably important to remember that in 1995/96 when the S&S sessions took place, the band was still regularly touring and were presumably fitting the sessions in between tour dates/legs.

If you look at the "Nashville Sounds" DVD, Carl isn't present at some of the sessions. That may or may not have been for scheduling reasons.

But I would imagine the BBs didn't have super heavy participation in the S&S sessions. The backing tracks were cut by Joe Thomas's session guys for the most part, and then the BBs (or at least *some* of the BBs) would work on songs with the artists in question (and maybe sometimes separately, at least partly?) on the vocal sessions.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a ton of free time *while in Nashville* to work on other artists' projects. And, they may not have wanted to just sit in and sing on every random person's session who asked (not that the S&S roster of artists was exactly an all-time A-list extravaganza either).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:01:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »

And one that they chose was Jeff Foxworthy?  That seems like a dumb decision.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 01:52:24 PM »

It's probably important to remember that in 1995/96 when the S&S sessions took place, the band was still regularly touring and were presumably fitting the sessions in between tour dates/legs.

If you look at the "Nashville Sounds" DVD, Carl isn't present at some of the sessions. That may or may not have been for scheduling reasons.

But I would imagine the BBs didn't have super heavy participation in the S&S sessions. The backing tracks were cut by Joe Thomas's session guys for the most part, and then the BBs (or at least *some* of the BBs) would work on songs with the artists in question (and maybe sometimes separately, at least partly?) on the vocal sessions.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a ton of free time *while in Nashville* to work on other artists' projects. And, they may not have wanted to just sit in and sing on every random person's session who asked (not that the S&S roster of artists was exactly an all-time A-list extravaganza either).

I met Mike, Al & Bruce right after the Kathy Troccoli single came out.  I had the cassette single on me.  It was the only Beach Boys product I had with me.  I asked them to sign it.  Al seemed surprised by it.  Bruce asked me if it was a bootleg and who that hot girl was on the cover.  I had to tell both of them it was from their new album.  It was very odd.  Later when Nashville Sounds came out with all of them in the room singing I Can Hear Music with Kathy, it made me think that who video was staged.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:54:04 PM by Matt H » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »

I met Mike, Al & Bruce right after the Kathy Troccoli single came out.  I had the cassette single on me.  It was the only Beach Boys product I had with me.  I asked them to sign it.  Al seemed surprised by it.  Bruce asked me if it was a bootleg and who that hot girl was on the cover.  I had to tell both of them it was from their new album.  It was very odd.  Later when Nashville Sounds came out with all of them in the room singing I Can Hear Music with Kathy, it made me think that who video was staged.

WTF? That's a bit crazy, isn't it?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »

Good point. I didn't consider that.
But I also thought that you'd take at least a short break from touring when you're supposed to work on an album.  LOL

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »

But I also thought that you'd take at least a short break from touring when you're supposed to work on an album.  LOL
One would think! Well, unless you're recording a live album LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx