gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:01:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Our Team" documentary + 35-40 minutes of bonus footage?  (Read 2424 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »

Since it was Brian Wilson's birthday today, I wanted to watch something Brian/Beach Boys related this morning and remembered that someone sent me a DVD of the "Our Team" special several years ago. It's in better shape than the versions circulating on YouTube but still a bit on the blurry side. After it was over, the screen went dark and suddenly I was treated to 35-40 minutes of raw footage from the special in higher quality. This appears to be everything shot in in the studio for the special, with the exception of the Dennis session, the "Our Team" recording session and (naturally) it's missing all of the Mike narration. Much of what's here is outtake footage that didn't make the cut but is fascinating to watch and listen to. 

Has anyone else run across this in their travels?

(please don't PM me asking for a copy or a link)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:08 PM »

Here are the contents of that extra footage:

1. Static shot of reel to reel machine as the track and backing vocals of "Belles Of Paris" is playing. Mike and Al are having a conversation off camera that's kind of hard to hear over the music but it's something about the background vocals.

2. Mike and Al coming up with lyrics to "Kona Coast". The footage is so clear you can read the lyrics and noted on Al's notepad. This is everything that's in the special and more.

3. Al at the board with the engineers and Mike standing next to him about to go into the vocal booth. They're still coming up with lyrics. Al jokes they should use "suntanned bitches are everywhere". At one point Mike comes up with another suggestion but Al reminds him that "time is money". They comically salute each other and Mike goes into the vocal booth.

4. Al goes into the recording booth with an acoustic to help Mike learn the song. They eventually realize that they're recording a verse they've already done. Laughter ensues. Good to see Al and Mike being so close and easy going. Al is kind of in charge with Mike being his comic foil. Mike makes some humorous criticisms that if, they were in print, would probably sound mean-spirited but it's clearly played for laughs and everyone is in on the joke. Almost like ball-busting.

5. Jam session for "Mike Come Back To L.A.". More of what's in the special. Carl is on drums. Billy is there. Brian and Mike are really locked in on piano and organ. Brian is having a ball. At one point someone (Carl? Billy?) does something to cause Brian to stop everyone and jump up and say "That's greeeeeaaat!" like Tony the Tiger. He tells whomever that "that's the best thing you've ever done in your whole career!". They go back to jamming and the happy accident doesn't seem to be repeatable. Brian sort of mellows out after that.

6. Recording background vocals with Beach Boys (minus Dennis), Billy, Marilyn and Diane and others. Stan Love is playing guitar (!). At one point Marilyn asks Stan to join them in singing. This goes on for a while. Brian seems to get tired or distracted after a bit. Mike is sort of aware of this and keeps giving him concerned looks, checking on him.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »

Sounds amazing.  Shocked I'd give anything for something like this. Whatever it is, it's certainly nothing circulating among fans.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »

I would REALLY love to see this. I highly doubt it'll ever get a release in any way : (
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx