gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Title edit: Carl Wilson late 70s (formerly Trouble in Paradise)  (Read 20727 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »

Regardless of Brian and Denny not being in good vocal shape...if Carl's vocals had been top, top notch Carl, as they were only a couple short years later, I wonder if the people who hate on the album would ease up a bit. Yeah, people can complain about not liking other stuff about it, but I feel like Carl’s vocals, when in top form such as on BB85, are usually able to elevate material considerably in the eyes of many fans.

For the record, I love Love You, even with some relatively ragged Carl vocals. And a “ragged” Carl vocal only means he’s not really in top form for himself, but he still sounds decent to my ears.

I never thought Carl's vocals were too bad on Love You, but I havent listened to it in a while tho. just curious, which songs/parts of songs would you say he sounds "ragged" on?

I've often heard people say that Carl sounds a bit drunk/tipsy in general on his leads on that one album, which is ironic and a bit of a bummer since the material on that album is IMO so damn good... and as the subsequent BBs albums became more and more turd-like, Carl began peaking as a vocalist more and more.

(Yet maybe it just had to be that way, since everything, from the musicianship, to the other Wilson brothers' vocals, are somewhat "off" anyway on Love You, so if it had confident BB85-style Carl vocals throughout, it might have been an odd contrast... although on second thought maybe not that odd, seeing as Al and Mike sound perfectly decent on their parts).

Still a slightly (or maybe more than slightly) subpar Carl vocal is better than most vocalists on a good day.

I think an example that I've seen cited would be his lead on The Night Was So Young. It does have a slightly "sloshed" quality when compared to his vocals on not-all-that-much-later songs like Good Timin' and Goin' On.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:04:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »

Like him or not, you have to admit that Mike is usually pretty honest and open about stuff like this. It doesn't sit well with me at all that Mike mentioned it only after Carl has passed and can't defend himself, but it was an honest statement.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 03:20:17 AM »

Mike understandably fails to mention that perhaps if he hadn't thwarted the Wilson brothers' more progressive musical direction after 1975, iconoclastic as it may have been, in favor of commerciality at all costs, they wouldn't have been so frustrated and felt a need to increasingly turn to hard drugs to escape such a creatively stifling professional situation.

Brian was already using hard drugs way before Endless Summer.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:21:38 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 10:01:01 AM »

I can only find one example of Carl being asked about the "Australia episode", and that was that 1989 European interview that someone (very graciously) translated and posted here. I think he was still trying to not really discuss it and not divulge any detail. Which is totally understandable.

Carl is a rare example of going off the deep end (whether only alcohol or alcohol and other things) but then *COMPLETELY* cleaning it up, and presumably without any major intervention (at least intervention on the Landy scale like Brian went through). Carl appeared to be drunk (and/or high) at shows as evidenced on audio and video from late 1976 or so until some time in 1978. And then, by later in 1978 or certainly by 1979, he was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT turned around and the most sober, straight-laced, straight-faced, squeaky clean guy on stage (okay, well that was maybe still Al!).

Beyond the extremely poor taste Mike continually shows in bringing up the Wilson brothers and their *decades-old* problems is that he sometimes lumps Carl in with Brian and Dennis, and Brian and Dennis had much more long-term, severe, chronic problems that were evidenced *in public* (on stage and on record) for a much longer period of time than Carl. With Carl, he sounded a little "slurry" on studio recordings for a year or two, and had his year or two of being moderately to severely sloshed on stage, and by 1979 and every year through 1997 (with the exception of his 81/82 hiatus), he was the most pro, dependable, clean, dignified guy on stage (along with Al).

That was certainly the public perception, and at least it seemed true onstage. That being said, I'm reasonably sure that Carl had issues with alcohol his last couple of decades. Brian's discredited (in some ways) first book touches on it, and folks who were around the scene have noted it as well. It certainly wasn't on the level of what happened in the late 70s, however.
I wouldn't give much credibility to anything about Carl in that terrible book. I will say, though, that Carl had a lot of heavy duty stuff to deal with in his later years - Brian's ongoing problems with drugs and alcohol, Dennis' troubles with same, the Landy situation, Audree's declining health... and finally, Carl's own health issues. I can't fault a guy dealing with all that if he wants to relax and enjoy a drink from time to time. We don't give him enough credit for cleaning up after the debacle in Australia. We don't give him enough credit for always giving his best on stage, cheerleaders or not; he wasn't just dialing it in, night after night. He always cared about the quality of the performance - even when some members apparently didn't.

So very well said, LS.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »

Mike understandably fails to mention that perhaps if he hadn't thwarted the Wilson brothers' more progressive musical direction after 1975, iconoclastic as it may have been, in favor of commerciality at all costs, they wouldn't have been so frustrated and felt a need to increasingly turn to hard drugs to escape such a creatively stifling professional situation.

I’m not a Mike apologist, and I hate that he badmouths dead relatives and bandmates, but blaming him for the Wilsons’ drug use is really unfair, in my opinion. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »

I’m not a Mike apologist, and I hate that he badmouths dead relatives and bandmates, but blaming him for the Wilsons’ drug use is really unfair, in my opinion. 
Unfair?? You try being in a band  with a second guessing, ungrateful schmuck all those years. I guarantee you'll either quit or, in Brian's case, find something that makes putting up with that clown a lot easier while writing songs for him to sing.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 08:36:24 AM »

Unfair?? You try being in a band  with a second guessing, ungrateful schmuck all those years. I guarantee you'll either quit or, in Brian's case, find something that makes putting up with that clown a lot easier while writing songs for him to sing.  Roll Eyes
And exactly how long have you worked with Mike???

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »

Decades of fandom! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »

I love how we blame everything that went wrong in the Beach Boys on Mike, or Murray, or Landy. Are not individuals at least partially responsible for their own behavior?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »

Hey! What a great question!! (psst, I like you too, J)

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »

Unfair?? You try being in a band  with a second guessing, ungrateful schmuck all those years. I guarantee you'll either quit or, in Brian's case, find something that makes putting up with that clown a lot easier while writing songs for him to sing.  Roll Eyes
I love how we blame everything that went wrong in the Beach Boys on Mike, or Murray, or Landy. Are not individuals at least partially responsible for their own behavior?

Mike, Murray and Landy all did quite a number on the fragile likes of Brian but let's remember, mental illness is not something that Brian is responsible for.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:27:53 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2018, 01:46:24 PM »

Why does the public continue to dwell on events that happened decades ago, especially with things that people got over and left in the past in their own lives? This isn't just "dirt," it's archeological dirt. I hate seeing the Wilson brothers' past problems constantly dredged back up, especially when both Carl and Brian moved on. Yes, those events in Australia happened, but they're only a small part of the story.

Dear members of the press, please stop asking people with known drug agendas (anti or pro) about these events. The same goes for serial killer questions regarding events 50+ years in the past. Stop pretending that gossip is newsworthy. Thank you.

I'm also sick and tired of Dennis and Carl being relegated to being the "dead guys." They meant a whole lot more to the Beach Boys and their success than just being footnotes.

Ok, rant off.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »

It certainly didn't help in  Brian's case, as he was less of a "party" guy and more someone who did drugs as a way to escape his turmoil.

Dennis was different, in the sense he WAS a party guy, someone who was always wanting to push things to the extremes.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »

Why does the public continue to dwell on events that happened decades ago, especially with things that people got over and left in the past in their own lives? This isn't just "dirt," it's archeological dirt. I hate seeing the Wilson brothers' past problems constantly dredged back up, especially when both Carl and Brian moved on. Yes, those events in Australia happened, but they're only a small part of the story.

Dear members of the press, please stop asking people with known drug agendas (anti or pro) about these events. The same goes for serial killer questions regarding events 50+ years in the past. Stop pretending that gossip is newsworthy. Thank you.

I'm also sick and tired of Dennis and Carl being relegated to being the "dead guys." They meant a whole lot more to the Beach Boys and their success than just being footnotes.

Ok, rant off.
Rant appreciated.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 06:21:17 AM »

It certainly didn't help in  Brian's case, as he was less of a "party" guy and more someone who did drugs as a way to escape his turmoil.

Dennis was different, in the sense he WAS a party guy, someone who was always wanting to push things to the extremes.

Denny was a party guy, yeah. But let's also not think that this was the only reason he abused substances as well. Plenty of turmoil is his life as well he was obviously wishing to escape (this being true for many, if not most addicts).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »

Denny was a party guy, yeah. But let's also not think that this was the only reason he abused substances as well. Plenty of turmoil is his life as well he was obviously wishing to escape (this being true for many, if not most addicts).

True; I just meant it in comparison to Brian and Carl

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »

Ok, rant off.
Rant appreciated.

Yes. But consider how much of this stuff would not even be on the table for discussion and consumption if Mike didn't endlessly bring all of it up when he's plugging his live shows or projects to whatever press he's speaking with.

The old meme around these parts when things got hot was 'It's all about the music'. Someone should forward that meme to Mike's management, he didn't get the original memo I guess.

There is a difference between fans hashing it out and discussing and a band member who is acting as the flag-bearer of the band name bringing it up in public interviews. And if a reporter asks about these topics, the reply is simple: "No comment. I'm here to talk about the music." Boom, it's over before it starts.

It is also far different if the person or persons who have battled the addictions or dealt with the issues brings it up and talks about it, versus someone else making it a public issue or a talking point especially when the people who had the issues are no longer alive to address them directly. That's a lack of respect and class.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »

Guitarfool, I get what you're saying, but why waste time asking about something that happened 40 or more years in the past? Why is anyone still focusing on these events? Not just Mike, who clearly has his own anti-substance abuse agenda, but all those reporters asking him the questions.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »

Guitarfool, I get what you're saying, but why waste time asking about something that happened 40 or more years in the past? Why is anyone still focusing on these events? Not just Mike, who clearly has his own anti-substance abuse agenda, but all those reporters asking him the questions.

It is a two-way street. All of this stuff sells and makes for good copy and click-bait, so a lot of the press will ask those questions hoping to generate a 30% uptick in views or clicks on the articles. It's the old "sensationalism sells" notion.

But consider how for at least 6 years specifically (and more), Mike has brought up these same issues unprompted in dozens of interviews to the point where us fans could write a parody and it would be very close to what a Mike interview snippet would actually be, on his many press junkets and interviews plugging his stuff. So the press sees an interview subject who will go there unprompted, and they go there too...whether it be drugs, Charlie Manson, whatever sensational topic they go for. And Mike of course will continue to go there to push his own agendas, whatever they are in the moment. It's been a regular thing for years now.

And sadly it could all be stopped if he would say 'No comment, I'm here to talk about the music'. The press people would get the message and not go there.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »

I have to admit, I hadn't thought so much about how Mike's consistent negativity about the Wilson brothers (and talking about Manson, etc.) in interviews could feed future interviews.

I honestly don't know; how many times does the local writer for the Capital City Gazette, writing a piece about Mike's band coming into town, go out and Google his past interviews of recent months/years to gauge what Mike is willing to talk about and what he *wants* to talk about and in many cases *volunteers* talking about unprompted?

Obviously just my opinion, but I think Mike *apparent* "agenda" goes well beyond simply being anti-substance abuse. His interviews often come across to me like "The Wilsons drank and did drugs; I didn't. I'm therefore better." It's the easiest issue to simultaneously take the Wilson brothers *down* a peg and also pump himself up. Once in awhile, he'll also mention that Al also didn't do drugs. (It's telling that during much of the 2000s, Mike would never even *mention* the name Al Jardine in interviews, and some of the only times you *would* see him mention Al's name is when mentioning that he (Mike) as well as Al didn't do drugs like the Wilsons did.

As with people like McCartney, Mike gets asked a ton of the same questions OVER AND OVER in interviews, and it's impossible to ascribe a specific amount of blame regarding that onto either the interviewer or interviewee. But Mike certainly hasn't *helped* this phenomenon, by retelling the same stories over and over (both positive and negative stories).

The funny thing is, as folks like Howie Edelson and others have pointed out, Mike (and the others) *will* go deep (and deep on MUSICAL subjects) if you go there. So yeah, it wouldn't hurt if interviewers got the promotional bit about Mike's show out of the way and then, instead of focusing on the band (and Mike's) infamy for being acrimonious, litigious, etc., asked instead about "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" or writing "Only With You" with Dennis, etc.

But it may well be that Mike's negative, click-baity interviews beget lazy journalists then turning to those same topics. Which of course is the fault of both parties. But as has been pointed out, it wouldn't take much for Mike to say "Those negative things are far, far behind us, so ask me about Carl and Dennis's great music and singing, etc."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »

Ok, rant off.

Yes!  Pretty much every article written about the BB these days refers to Dennis as "the one that drowned in 1983" and Carl as the one that died of lung cancer in 98.  Like that's all that's worth mentioning about them.  How about mentioning that Carl ran the band for many years and was the lead vocalist on arguably their most famous songs? 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 10:19:42 PM »

I guess it would take too much effort for the average reporter to actually listen to some Beach Boys recordings in preparation for an interview. It wouldn't hurt, though, if, when Dennis or Carl are mentioned, to talk about what what a great songwriter, singer and producer Carl became, how he kept the band together; how Dennis developed as a songwriter with his own style.
Ok, rant off.

Yes!  Pretty much every article written about the BB these days refers to Dennis as "the one that drowned in 1983" and Carl as the one that died of lung cancer in 98.  Like that's all that's worth mentioning about them.  How about mentioning that Carl ran the band for many years and was the lead vocalist on arguably their most famous songs? 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »

The BW Tour 2019 is kind of getting derailed with Carl’s problems. Can I suggest that gets continued here rather than bogging down Brian’s tour page?
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »

I realise that people are often so up in arms about the 70s BBs... I actually enjoy them quite a bit. They were realistic and reflected their true problems like real people, and were also super creative and weirdly prolific in album and tour the whole time. People can often be so prudish about drugs and public problems (like discussed with Carl) that arise when one goes one step over the line and monacles shatter everywhere. Oh well, somebody who was under a ton of pressure made a mistake, it happens and they recover and then probably make more mistakes. I think the 80s BBs were far, far more problematic and totally monsterishly freaky. 70s BBs were just a bunch of 30-somethings that were actually good at what they did but had a bunch of fantastic missteps. (that is a super large exaggeration, and I am going to get burned because of it, but I'm not wrong) Tons of love to Carl and Brian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »

I mentioned a few months back on another thread about how impressive it was that 1978 Carl morphed into the trimmed down version with a solo career by 1981.
Thinking now was that possibility dangled in front of him like a carrot? ‘Clean yourself up Carl and we will promote you as a solo artist’.
Given that he was sick of all the sh!t going on in the band at the time, a solo offer would have been a very good incentive to sober up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:35:11 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx