gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Title edit: Carl Wilson late 70s (formerly Trouble in Paradise)  (Read 20735 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

Nothing new really but apparently Carl and Dennis took heroin in Perth in 78,  ‘World Tour’ mentioned on the back of the RSO album (believe it when I see it) Brian still in hospital.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/beach-boys-trouble-paradise-133402180.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:42:41 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:59:32 PM »

Hmm, wonder why Mike mentioned the heroin thing. Usually he says something like "one airplane was for smokers and the other for non-smokers....and it wasnt just smoking *nudge nudge*....by the way, did you know i havent done any drugs since 1968 since i started meditation? have i ever mentioned that?".

Wonder if the interviewer asked him directly about it or something.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:00:24 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:02:37 PM »

Standard question for any Australian interviewer. ‘What about that Perth concert in 1978?’
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:12:27 AM »

The next morning, Carl Wilson was forced to publicly apologise for his behaviour, claiming he’d taken two Valium that day, and had consumed two Mai Tais that evening.

The Beach Boys- Carl Wilson interview in Austraia 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVTSzP2RdM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:29:19 AM »

Another hit job on the Wilson brothers.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:16:12 AM »

I don't see anything about Brian in the hospital?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 06:21:43 AM »

Well, it's a good thing Mike is around to remind us of the mind-blowing concept that doing heroin is "not a great thing for The Beach Boys to be involved with." Glad he was able to clear that up......

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »

Standard question for any Australian interviewer. ‘What about that Perth concert in 1978?’

I'm sure, and perhaps rightly so considering the band members for decades never really gave a fully straightforward answer. Even Carl in another European interview in 1989 was asked about it and kind of hedged.

*However*, I don't think Mike has regularly specifically just blurted out in interviews what has only been detailed in a few books (Gaines, Stebbins, perhaps White?), namely specifically that some of the brothers (allegedly I guess I should still say) purchased heroin during that tour.

Not coincidentally, Mike has never, to my knowledge, mentioned the detail that promoter David Frost, when told that the band planned to can Dennis (temporarily at least) and send him home, was *adamant* that Dennis was *so popular* that he refused to finance the tour without Dennis's participation. And frankly, at least on the extant audio and footage, Dennis is the least problematic/weird of the three Wilson brothers.

Frankly, with Carl off the rails, Brian weirding out, and Mike hamming it up with such illustrious numbers as "Country Pie", the band owed a huge debt mainly to Al Jardine on that tour for holding things together (note that even in the Dennis Wilson bio by Stebbins that he points out Al should be commended for holding the thing together), and to a lesser degree Dennis for at least *appearing* to be pretty sober and doing his thing for the Australian fans.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:30:23 AM »

I guess I can't fault an Australian journalist for asking about the '78 tour, but I certainly think this article was weirdly written to snatch controversy and tabloidesque scandal from the jaws of success and victory (e.g. the new symphonic album).

Mike at this stage in his career should know better than to fuel what is inevitably going to be another "let's remember the bad times" articles on the band. He did this when he was plugging his book, happily *literally* name-dropping Charles Manson in every interview to sell books.

Note that Brian nor Al (nor Dave of course) have tried to sell their ongoing projects and tours on the back of s***ting on Mike.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 06:42:33 AM »

Also unfortunate that the article wrongly implies it's Brian's health that's impacting how much he associates these days with Mike. Whatever Brian's current health status, he hasn't (to our knowledge) been in the same room as Mike since September 28, 2012. Mike quitting the band in September of 2012, and his subsequent volunteering of how he feels about Melinda and Brian, has likely played a role in their relative estrangement, not Brian's health.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:11:33 AM »

There's a video there that elaborates more than the article.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »

Another hit job on the Wilson brothers.
Right Amy and what a self righteous piece of work he is. No wonder this clown is so disliked.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »

There's a video there that elaborates more than the article.

Thanks for pointing that out Amy. Totally didn't notice!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 10:55:20 AM »

The next morning, Carl Wilson was forced to publicly apologise for his behaviour, claiming he’d taken two Valium that day, and had consumed two Mai Tais that evening.

I find it incredulous that anyone would have the balls to order a Maitai in Perth. ‘Whadayaaaa....?’  Grin
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 06:39:39 AM »

I always love it when people make accusations about people who have died and can't defend themselves.  Maybe Carl bought the heroin for Dennis or Brian?  Carl denies ever doing heroin - I have no reason to disbelieve him.  He also never spoke ill of others.....dead or living -- unlike his cousin Mike.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 06:55:10 AM »

I can only find one example of Carl being asked about the "Australia episode", and that was that 1989 European interview that someone (very graciously) translated and posted here. I think he was still trying to not really discuss it and not divulge any detail. Which is totally understandable.

Carl is a rare example of going off the deep end (whether only alcohol or alcohol and other things) but then *COMPLETELY* cleaning it up, and presumably without any major intervention (at least intervention on the Landy scale like Brian went through). Carl appeared to be drunk (and/or high) at shows as evidenced on audio and video from late 1976 or so until some time in 1978. And then, by later in 1978 or certainly by 1979, he was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT turned around and the most sober, straight-laced, straight-faced, squeaky clean guy on stage (okay, well that was maybe still Al!).

Beyond the extremely poor taste Mike continually shows in bringing up the Wilson brothers and their *decades-old* problems is that he sometimes lumps Carl in with Brian and Dennis, and Brian and Dennis had much more long-term, severe, chronic problems that were evidenced *in public* (on stage and on record) for a much longer period of time than Carl. With Carl, he sounded a little "slurry" on studio recordings for a year or two, and had his year or two of being moderately to severely sloshed on stage, and by 1979 and every year through 1997 (with the exception of his 81/82 hiatus), he was the most pro, dependable, clean, dignified guy on stage (along with Al).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 06:58:40 AM »

Regarding Brian being "in the hospital" (and the pics of he and Carnie on Father's Day), Mark London posted on Facebook some pics of Brian having his birthday cake in what appears to be the same facility, and London specifically pointed out that Brian is *not* in the "hospital", but rather a "physical therapy center."

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 07:42:50 AM »

I can only find one example of Carl being asked about the "Australia episode", and that was that 1989 European interview that someone (very graciously) translated and posted here. I think he was still trying to not really discuss it and not divulge any detail. Which is totally understandable.

Carl is a rare example of going off the deep end (whether only alcohol or alcohol and other things) but then *COMPLETELY* cleaning it up, and presumably without any major intervention (at least intervention on the Landy scale like Brian went through). Carl appeared to be drunk (and/or high) at shows as evidenced on audio and video from late 1976 or so until some time in 1978. And then, by later in 1978 or certainly by 1979, he was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT turned around and the most sober, straight-laced, straight-faced, squeaky clean guy on stage (okay, well that was maybe still Al!).

Beyond the extremely poor taste Mike continually shows in bringing up the Wilson brothers and their *decades-old* problems is that he sometimes lumps Carl in with Brian and Dennis, and Brian and Dennis had much more long-term, severe, chronic problems that were evidenced *in public* (on stage and on record) for a much longer period of time than Carl. With Carl, he sounded a little "slurry" on studio recordings for a year or two, and had his year or two of being moderately to severely sloshed on stage, and by 1979 and every year through 1997 (with the exception of his 81/82 hiatus), he was the most pro, dependable, clean, dignified guy on stage (along with Al).

That was certainly the public perception, and at least it seemed true onstage. That being said, I'm reasonably sure that Carl had issues with alcohol his last couple of decades. Brian's discredited (in some ways) first book touches on it, and folks who were around the scene have noted it as well. It certainly wasn't on the level of what happened in the late 70s, however.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 08:46:07 AM »

That was certainly the public perception, and at least it seemed true onstage. That being said, I'm reasonably sure that Carl had issues with alcohol his last couple of decades. Brian's discredited (in some ways) first book touches on it, and folks who were around the scene have noted it as well. It certainly wasn't on the level of what happened in the late 70s, however.

Oh, it's quite possible that any number of weird (and not so weird) things were going on behind the scenes, but the only time Carl ever seemed to be out of sorts *on stage* (or in public in general) was that 1976-1978 timeframe.

And it's almost inescapably likely that there's more Carl stuff we don't know about than the other guys just by virtue of how private the guy was (and however the other guys in the band barring mainly Al and I guess Bruce) attracted any attention that the press did send their way in those years.

My guess is on the scale of "alcoholic rock stars", Carl couldn't have been *too* bad considering not just that he always appeared sober on stage, but he toured *constantly* for all of those years (even when he left the BB touring band he did some solo touring). But obviously I can't say anything one way or the other when it comes to much outside of his public appearances.

I will say pretty much every band member has at least a hand full of sketchy, disappointing stories that aren't published. The only members I've never really read or heard anything particularly heinous about is Carl and Al. The "dirt" stories about Al tend to be stuff like holding a grudge or just having a bad attitude in general during certain years (the Usher episode; a few little bits in Mike's book), and Carl's main apparent flaws impacting others outside of that 76-78 timeframe would tend to be things like his supposed/alleged passive complicity in letting Mike take over the band in the 90s, and things like that.

There are plenty of Brian and Dennis stories that go down a really dark path, some published, some not. Maybe somewhat less known is that this is also the case with Mike and Bruce, and probably even more so tending towards unpublished (for all the large amounts of bad publicity Mike gets, it's usually due to the same simplified/generalized "image" issues about him being a "villain", arguably being "litigious", etc. But there's some dark path stuff there too. With both of those guys. Brian pretty much ignored any of that in his book and his interviews. Mike less so, though I might just guess that Mike also left out some darker stuff in his book that perhaps "legal" could have dictated be cut.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »

I wouldn't give much credibility to anything about Carl in that terrible book. I will say, though, that Carl had a lot of heavy duty stuff to deal with in his later years - Brian's ongoing problems with drugs and alcohol, Dennis' troubles with same, the Landy situation, Audree's declining health... and finally, Carl's own health issues. I can't fault a guy dealing with all that if he wants to relax and enjoy a drink from time to time. We don't give him enough credit for cleaning up after the debacle in Australia. We don't give him enough credit for always giving his best on stage, cheerleaders or not; he wasn't just dialing it in, night after night. He always cared about the quality of the performance - even when some members apparently didn't.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »

Mike understandably fails to mention that perhaps if he hadn't thwarted the Wilson brothers' more progressive musical direction after 1975, iconoclastic as it may have been, in favor of commerciality at all costs, they wouldn't have been so frustrated and felt a need to increasingly turn to hard drugs to escape such a creatively stifling professional situation.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »

For most its a choice to leave a creatively stifling professional situation, or suck it up and go through the motions for the pay check. It seems that R&R has a lot in common with real life (meaning us) at times.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »

Slightly off-topic… I wonder if the public perception of the “Love You” album would have been different if it wasn’t among (or perhaps THE) low point in terms of Carl’s vocals.

Regardless of Brian and Denny not being in good vocal shape...if Carl's vocals had been top, top notch Carl, as they were only a couple short years later, I wonder if the people who hate on the album would ease up a bit. Yeah, people can complain about not liking other stuff about it, but I feel like Carl’s vocals, when in top form such as on BB85, are usually able to elevate material considerably in the eyes of many fans.

For the record, I love Love You, even with some relatively ragged Carl vocals. And a “ragged” Carl vocal only means he’s not really in top form for himself, but he still sounds decent to my ears.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:35:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »

Mike understandably fails to mention that perhaps if he hadn't thwarted the Wilson brothers' more progressive musical direction after 1975, iconoclastic as it may have been, in favor of commerciality at all costs, they wouldn't have been so frustrated and felt a need to increasingly turn to hard drugs to escape such a creatively stifling professional situation.

Agreed wholeheartedly. While nobody forced anybody to do drugs, there's still such a thing as being a contributing factor why some people self-medicate. Yet of course Mike would in a million years never own up to it, which is ironic since I have no doubt Mike became so deeply into TM in part due to stress that he felt from the band, and to clear his head from stress he felt from a specific member or two, so the dude should be able to "get" the idea of self-medication due to someone else being a thorn in their side.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:36:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »

Regardless of Brian and Denny not being in good vocal shape...if Carl's vocals had been top, top notch Carl, as they were only a couple short years later, I wonder if the people who hate on the album would ease up a bit. Yeah, people can complain about not liking other stuff about it, but I feel like Carl’s vocals, when in top form such as on BB85, are usually able to elevate material considerably in the eyes of many fans.

For the record, I love Love You, even with some relatively ragged Carl vocals. And a “ragged” Carl vocal only means he’s not really in top form for himself, but he still sounds decent to my ears.

I never thought Carl's vocals were too bad on Love You, but I havent listened to it in a while tho. just curious, which songs/parts of songs would you say he sounds "ragged" on?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx