gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:59:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Petty tried to sing like Carl in “Room at the Top.”  (Read 5496 times)
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »

I’ve always been fascinated by Carl’s contributions to Tom Petty’s mid-‘90s music. Today, while Googling to try and learn a bit more about their relationship, I stumbled upon this, from 1999:

http://www.nydailynews.com/tom-petty-personal-rocker-emerges-post-divorce-funk-hard-rocking-first-person-album-article-1.828436

The result brought out a new heaviness in Petty's voice, epecially in the opening track, "Room at the Top." The artist says he was trying to ape the plaintive singing style of his friend Carl Wilson (of the Beach Boys), who had just died. "It was my hopeless attempt to sound like Carl," Petty explains. "I'm just pleased that more voices keep showing up because if you've got to sing a whole album it's good to have different sounds on it."

Tom doesn’t sound like Carl in “Room at the Top”; he sounds like Tom, but it’s one of my favorite Heartbreakers tunes.

An aside, during the making of that album (Echo), Tom was struggling with a crippling heroin addiction, a fact that wasn’t revealed publicly until a few years ago in Warren Zaines’ Tom Petty biography — which I highly recommend if you’re a Tom Petty fan.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:20:09 PM »

And we can hear Carl sing on "Hung Up and Overdue" from TP & the Heartbreakers' "She's the One" soundtrack, one of my favorite Tom Petty songs.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »

He’s also on “Honey Bee,” but he’s too low in the mix to hear.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »

I’ve always been fascinated by Carl’s contributions to Tom Petty’s mid-‘90s music. Today, while Googling to try and learn a bit more about their relationship, I stumbled upon this, from 1999:

http://www.nydailynews.com/tom-petty-personal-rocker-emerges-post-divorce-funk-hard-rocking-first-person-album-article-1.828436

The result brought out a new heaviness in Petty's voice, epecially in the opening track, "Room at the Top." The artist says he was trying to ape the plaintive singing style of his friend Carl Wilson (of the Beach Boys), who had just died. "It was my hopeless attempt to sound like Carl," Petty explains. "I'm just pleased that more voices keep showing up because if you've got to sing a whole album it's good to have different sounds on it."

Tom doesn’t sound like Carl in “Room at the Top”; he sounds like Tom, but it’s one of my favorite Heartbreakers tunes.

An aside, during the making of that album (Echo), Tom was struggling with a crippling heroin addiction, a fact that wasn’t revealed publicly until a few years ago in Warren Zaines’ Tom Petty biography — which I highly recommend if you’re a Tom Petty fan.

I remember reading that Room at the Top was a tribute to Carl, but I didn't know he was trying to sound like Carl, which is not really possible since their voices are so distinctly different. 
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 03:17:26 AM »

I remember when I heard that Carl did background vocals on Honey Bee, I ran out and bought a copy of Petty's CD. Remember how dissappointed I was when it was impossible to discern that Carl was even on it, his voice was completely buried in the mix.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 04:58:33 AM »

I remember when I heard that Carl did background vocals on Honey Bee, I ran out and bought a copy of Petty's CD. Remember how dissappointed I was when it was impossible to discern that Carl was even on it, his voice was completely buried in the mix.

Yeah, it's hard to hear. This live performance (without Carl) gives an idea at what point to listen for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtlBnxyXNGI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 11:45:27 PM »

Tom talked a few years back about releasing a companion album to Wildflowers that would include songs that would have been on the originally envisioned two-disc version of Wildflowers. I wonder if Tom completed the project prior to his death and, if so, if Carl is on any of those tracks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:46:08 PM by AKA » Logged
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 07:28:38 AM »

Yes, the project, called "Widflowers : All the Rest" was finished. And has been finished for at least two years. It was supposed to come out in 2016 after the release of "Mudcrutch 2"... and then nothing happened. Fans have been waiting. We were told it would come out after TP & the Heartbreaker's tour in 2017. Then we thought that Tom's death would encourage Warner to release it... but we're still waiting.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:29:20 AM by Toursiveu » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 04:03:39 PM »

[...] I didn't know he was trying to sound like Carl, which is not really possible since their voices are so distinctly different. 
Yes, apples & oranges.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 06:45:54 AM »

And we can hear Carl sing on "Hung Up and Overdue" from TP & the Heartbreakers' "She's the One" soundtrack, one of my favorite Tom Petty songs.

The comment section on youtube mentioned that George Harrison and Ringo Starr also played on "Hung up and overdue". There's definitely a guitar part that sounds like Harrison. But is it true?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »

The comment section on youtube mentioned that George Harrison and Ringo Starr also played on "Hung up and overdue". There's definitely a guitar part that sounds like Harrison. But is it true?

Ringo plays drums on that song, but I don’t recall George being on it. The slide guitar was by Mike Campbell who can do an amazing imitation of George’s slide guitar sound.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 05:19:03 AM »

Ringo plays drums on that song, but I don’t recall George being on it. The slide guitar was by Mike Campbell who can do an amazing imitation of George’s slide guitar sound.

Alright, thanks for the confirmation of Ringo's appearance.

- Jack Rieley
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »

Alright, thanks for the confirmation of Ringo's appearance.
Oddly enough, both George and Ringo appear in the “I Won’t Back Down” music video, even though Ringo doesn’t actually play on the track.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »

Tom talked a few years back about releasing a companion album to Wildflowers that would include songs that would have been on the originally envisioned two-disc version of Wildflowers. I wonder if Tom completed the project prior to his death and, if so, if Carl is on any of those tracks.

You can hear Carl much more clearly on the version of Hung up and Overdue released on the new Wildflowers box-set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRyOoVz5WM
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 01:05:24 AM »

You can hear Carl much more clearly on the version of Hung up and Overdue released on the new Wildflowers box-set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRyOoVz5WM
And even better, if you put the track out of phase, it cancel's out Tom's vocal completely, and leaves just Carl singing the chorus!

Man, what a great song.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx