gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:05:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's about time - The Forgotten Song That Made The Beach Boys Cool Again  (Read 7710 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »

Don't know if this was posted before. I just saw it online.
I included a link to a live performance of that song.

The Forgotten Song That Made The Beach Boys Cool Again
J.P. Robinson
Occasional writer. Recommended by Longreads and The Guardian, and a "most popular" pick at Longform and Medium. Twitter: @MrJPRobinson
Jun 12, 2017

The Beach Boys at May Day demonstrations, May 1971 (Jeff Albertson, University of Massachusetts Special Collections)

The Beach Boys were no longer a hit band when Bob Burchman sat in his car in early July 1970, listening to a tape that Dennis Wilson had given him. Bob wasn’t a Beach Boys fan — he preferred Sly Stone or Marvin Gaye or Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell or The Beatles — but Dennis, an acquaintance more than a friend, liked Bob’s poetry. He had given him the tape earlier that day, and asked him to write lyrics for an instrumental the band had just recorded. The song — congas, guitar, hypnotic bass and looping drums — was more like what Bob normally enjoyed. Parked high in Benedict Canyon, he listened over and over, pressing play and rewind on his portable cassette player. His lyrics came quickly, more quickly than the few songs he had written before. “I used to be a famous artist,” he began.

The song, which Dennis would call “It’s About Time”, would never be well-known — a b-side to a flop single, hidden at the end of side one of the Sunflower album — but it would begin The Beach Boy’s critical and commercial recovery, from this, the lowest point in their career. Their most recent single, issued three days before Bob wrote his lyrics, failed to chart. Despite some sporadic appreciation in the Smile years, they had yet to be discovered by most of the hip, “rock” crowd. Their earlier albums on Capitol were being deleted; Pet Sounds was out of print. Warner Reprise, their new label, had recently rejected a new album, sending them away to work on new material. They were dismissed as “stiffs” in the issue of Rolling Stone then on the city’s newsstands.

Charles Manson, Dennis’ former friend, was on the cover of that issue, staring out maniacally and haloed. His trial had begun two weeks earlier. In a long, rambling interview, he spoke about Dennis at length, and about the importance of lyrics and music, and the “free-love society.” He discussed an uncredited song of his that The Beach Boys had included on 20/20, their previous album. Dennis had changed the words a little, and the title, which had angered Manson. “Kids respond to music,” he told Rolling Stone, “words kill, they’ve filled every living thing with death.” Gregg Jakobson, Dennis’s friend and sometime songwriting partner, was quoted anonymously, talking about what Manson had heard in Beatles lyrics, and how he had threatened Dennis and his family. Five of Manson’s seven victims had been killed in Benedict Canyon, not far from where Dennis’ wife and family lived, not far from where Bob parked and listened to the tape, in the shade.

It was brave for The Beach Boys to turn to Bob then — an unknown, obtuse, “hippie” poet, brought to Dennis by a shared female friend — when Manson and his lyrics were so prevalent in the press. The band had always asked others to give their songs an on-trend sheen: cars, girls, surfing, then Motown clarity, then pop art. Bob, it seems, was also expected to help them move with the times, to make them more well-attuned to the summer of 1970, more “countercultural,” perhaps even to adapt to what little attention The Beach Boys were then receiving via Manson.

The band were aware of how they were seen; Bruce Johnston had joked to NME that their new album would be called A Fading Rock Band Revival. When they presented the album to Warner Reprise, it was rejected, the label complaining that it wasn’t “contemporary” enough. They wanted Dennis to contribute more. “It’s About Time” was the first song the band recorded after the rejection, and Bob was the first lyricist they used.

Much as he had been the band’s token surfer, Dennis was The Beach Boys’ closest link to the fashionable Los Angeles counterculture that Bob, or at least his lyrics, represented. Rolling Stone had praised the songs Dennis had written for the two previous albums, often with the poet Stephen Kalinich: “tight, emotional and beautifully done, with fine lyrics,” they said, unlike the rest of the band’s work, which was “dated, more sociologically than musically,” a “foolish denial of reality.” “Hawthorne is not the world that Watts is,” one reviewer said. The few hip writers who argued for The Beach Boys’ relevance, like Crawdaddy’s Paul Williams, felt Dennis was the band’s next big talent, in these uncertain times.

Even in the years since Pet Sounds, the expectations of a fashionable pop group had shifted. Warner Reprise was now home to Captain Beefheart, and The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, and The Fugs. They had given Frank Zappa his own label, much as they did for The Beach Boys. Musicians were often displaced from Rolling Stone’s cover: Altamont in January 1970; Ken Kesey in March; Abbie Hoffman in April; the protests and killings at Kent State in June, followed by Manson. The Beach Boys’ California myth-making, the “America’s band” rhetoric, had always been overstated, but now it seemed empty.

Against this backdrop, “It’s About Time” was a deliberate attempt to update the band’s music. The congas and driving rhythm owed something to Sly Stone or Santana, both of whom had found greater fame with the release of the Woodstock documentary, a couple of months earlier. Stephen Desper, who engineered the session, had worked for Zappa and Hendrix, as well as recording Manson in Brian’s home studio. He was allowed to experiment; Mike Love remembered him as a “mad genius,” using his “spatializer” for the first time on the song, working on “center channel quadrophonic sound.” Earl Palmer played the drums, reminiscent of both his work for Phil Spector and his recent sessions for David Axelrod, or Head, The Monkees’s own psychedelic project. Dennis’ biographer, John Stebbins, called the song an “epic jam”, with “Dennis pushing The Beach Boys into progressive territory.”

Bob’s lyrics gave the music the necessary hip, “countercultural” context. Lyrically, much Los Angeles pop music was creeping out of the city, into the canyons: Joni Mitchell had released Ladies of the Canyon on Warner Reprise in April; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young had just released “Ohio”, about the killings at Kent State, and their Déjà Vu album, reflecting on “letting my freak flag fly.” After the Manson issue, the next cover of Rolling Stone suggested it was “the summer of the Acid Cowboys.”

Everywhere, stars from the previous decade were trying to change. Paul McCartney had recently announced he was leaving The Beatles, to release his first solo album. Mike Nesmith of The Monkees did the same, issuing Magnetic South, his first “cosmic country” record. The Mama’s and Papa’s John Phillips had recently released Wolf King of L.A., with hazy images of drugs and women, on the beaches and in the canyons. The day before Bob wrote his lyrics, Marvin Gaye began recording “What’s Goin’ On”. Sly Stone, struggling with addiction, was recording There’s A Riot Goin’ On. Even Frank Sinatra, also on Warner Reprise, had just released Watertown, a collaboration with Jake Holmes, uncredited composer of Led Zeppelin’s “Dazed and Confused”.

Sitting in his car, following the tape’s insistent rhythm, Bob was affected by this same spirit: “I used to be a famous artist, proud as I could be,” he wrote, “struggling to express myself, for the whole world to see. I used to blow my mind sky high, searching for the lost elation… the Creation, oh yeah, through which I play the part of the open hearted laugh of realization…” Rolling Stone had quoted Manson’s own lyrical riddles at length — “I am you… I am my father…” — and Bob echoed a similar paradox: “everyone I meet, who is really me,” he wrote, “I am my only relation.” This was, according to Bob, a “message that Dennis identified with.” However, despite the references to drugs and lost fame, “actually the lyric itself had nothing to do with the personal lives of Brian or Dennis, or any of The Beach Boys for that matter,” he said. Instead, the inspiration came from “the vanity of name and fame in the world of Contemporary Art and Rock Music, as well as the ancient eternal wisdom of the East.”

Bob had first met Dennis earlier that summer. He had expected to dislike him, based on what he had seen on television, thinking he was “a bit too cocky, and not the world’s greatest drummer.” Nevertheless, Bob had been friends with Barbara, Dennis’s then girlfriend, since junior school, and he invited the couple over for dinner, with his wife, shortly after moving back to Los Angeles from Hawaii. On cushions around a low Japanese table, eating “some sort of Asian vegetarian cuisine,” Dennis charmed him. He “mentioned to me that Barbara had told him what a good poet and lyricist I was, and asked me if I would recite something for him to hear. I recited two or three lyrics that were fresh in my mind, and Dennis was blown away. ‘Wow! I wasn’t expecting that’, he said.”

As much as his countercultural poetry, Bob’s domesticity —a wife , a new baby, a dinner party — must have seemed appealing to Dennis, after the previous couple of years with Manson. Dennis’s first divorce had recently come through, prompting him to sell his house in Benedict Canyon, close to where Sharon Tate was killed. He would marry Barbara that August. (He recorded an aching song for her around this time, which was issued posthumously: “Barbara,” he sang, “tender and warm, God, I love her. I love to sing songs for her.”) Around the dinner table, Dennis told Bob about the instrumental track he was working on. He was clearly proud of it, asking Bob to come to Brian’s house to hear it, soon. Despite his inexperience, Dennis asked Bob if he would write the lyrics.

Dennis may have been attracted to this inexperience. Although he had helped with group compositions, he had only contributed one song to The Beach Boys’ first thirteen albums, a drum solo called “Denny’s Drums.” In February 1968, shortly before he met Manson, he wrote his first song, “Little Bird” , with Stephen Kalinich, for Friends. Kalinich, or Brian’s relative withdrawal from the band, seemed to spur him on. He had another song on Friends, and collaborated on three more.

It was around this time that he began to work with Manson. Back before the murders, when he talked more often to the press, Dennis spoke about writing with “Charlie.” He told Record Mirror about meeting Manson’s “space ladies,” when they were hitchhiking, as he was driving “up into the mountains with my houseboy to take an LSD trip.” “I am now more in tune with my mind,” he suggested, “I feel easier and more confident of myself.” “The public is evolving too,” he said. He had two of his own songs on the next album, 20/20, plus “Never Learn Not To Love”, his version of Manson’s “Cease To Exist”. “Celebrate The News” — “beautiful and strange, my life’s gone through a change” — was issued as a b-side. Manson’s influence seemed to linger; as late as 1976, Dennis told Circus magazine that “the greatest feeling in the world” was “submission,” echoing Manson’s lyrics from “Never Learn Not To Love”: “cease to exist, submission is a gift, give it to your brother.”

As odd and beguiling as Dennis’s songs could be, this was the writer that Warner Reprise wanted more from: just a handful of songs released, only two of which he had written on his own, no hits, largely dependent on others for his words. It seems likely the label were as keen to invest in his image as his music: charming and good-looking, he was newly topical, since Manson, and newly countercultural, with the personal and public “evolution” that he had spoken about. That summer, he was cast in his first film, Two Lane Blacktop, playing a character often mistaken for a “hippie,” mostly silent, and more in love with his car than the hitchhiker he picks up. Press reports described him reading Rolling Stone on set, frustrated by an article about Brian, hanging out with his co-star, James Taylor, and Joni Mitchell. He tried to avoid the reporters, and spoke to them only briefly, about the music he liked, “something with a Moog in it, something you can get into.”

Shortly before filming started, Bob gave Dennis the completed lyrics. The band soon recorded the vocals at Brian’s studio, although Bob wasn’t invited to the session. (“Cool, Cool Water”, the first Beach Boys song to include a Moog, was finished soon after.) Dennis called Bob from the studio, to tell him they had altered his words. “Al Jardine added another whole other section to the lyric right there in the studio, without anyone advising me or getting my input,” Bob remembered. Dennis had given the song its title, for the chanted chorus that Carl sang. “I didn’t quite understand at the time where he was going with that,” Bob said.

Although the additions borrowed heavily from The Youngbloods’ “Get Together”, which had reached number 5 the previous summer, they also suggested something about the band’s ambitions on this most collaborative of their albums: “it’s about time we get together, to be out front and love one another, brothers, sisters, everybody, we better start to help each other now.” Dennis, with Al and Carl, made more subtle changes; Bob’s “I am my only relation” line became “I am only me,” less pointed for a family band, perhaps a rejection of Manson’s “I am you” from the Rolling Stone interview. “I felt a bit discounted and disrespected with how that went down,” Bob said, “but it was The Beach Boys after all, and I was not about to make waves.”

A few days later, Bob was invited over to Brian’s house again. For twenty minutes, he waited in a front room, as Al ignored him, practising “Sloop John B” on guitar. Eventually, he was shown into another room, furnished with a barber’s chair. “All the guys were there,” he said. “Now all of a sudden I was the center of their attention. Brian said that he loved my lyric and that he wanted to put the song on their upcoming album.” Brian congratulated him, patting him on the back, and said he had to sign some papers. Bob was cautious — “shouldn’t I have a lawyer look this thing over before signing it?” — but Dennis tried to reassure him. Feeling pressured, he signed it, handing over the publishing rights, and splitting the writer’s royalties four ways.

Not long after, the band presented Warner Reprise with a new version of their album, now called Sunflower. They had replaced six songs from the previous version, adding four they had recorded before the rejection, plus “Cool, Cool Water,”, which had only been half-finished. “It’s About Time” was the only new composition. Dennis now had four songs included, the most on any Beach Boys album.

Like “It’s About Time”, the lyrics of Dennis’ other songs reflected his public persona. “Slip On Through” asked a “girl” to “relax, let your mind go free,” assuring her that “my song will take you for a ride”; in “Got To Know The Woman”, he “just met a woman on the way home”. (Another song from the time about picking up a hitchhiker, “I’m Going Your Way” — “I was a stranger, no, no, no, there ain’t no danger” — remains unreleased, though bootlegged.) On “Forever”, he played the love-lorn balladeer: “if the song I sing to you could fill your heart with joy, I’d sing forever.” Gregg Jakobson, soon to be a witness at Manson’s trial, co-wrote the song.

When Sunflower was released in August 1970, it peaked at number 151, the lowest ever placing for a Beach Boys album. “It’s About Time” became the b-side to “Tears In The Morning,” which failed to chart. Nevertheless, Carl thought the album was “the truest group effort we ever had.” Bruce praised Dennis’s “total 1969–1970 groove.” Brian remembered how Dennis “rocked and rolled,” “dynamic” and “energetic,” calling “Forever” a “rock and roll prayer.” Mike thought the album was “damn good” — it “made even The Beatles’ Abbey Road sound primitive,” he said — but he felt they got their image wrong, with a photograph of the band and their children on the cover, beneath an illustration of a rainbow. (Tellingly, Dennis, staring out of shot, was the only one without his family pictured.) “The world was aflame; we were projecting innocence and harmony,” Love said. “Our fortunes, however, as well as our image, would soon begin to change.”

Rolling Stone recognised this mood in its review of Sunflower. Wondering whether “anyone still listens to their music, or could give a sh*t about it,” the review described the album as a successor to Pet Sounds. “Most of the lyric impotence of the group remains,” it said, “though not so prominently displayed.” Although it was “decadent fluff,” “at a time when we could use more Liberation Music Orchestras,” it was “a superb rock muzak album”, part pop, part something hipper, made by “plastic madmen.” Dennis’s songs seemed to tip the balance in its favour; “It’s About Time” was singled out for particular praise. Robert Christgau, in Village Voice, wrote that “if you can feature the great candy-stripes grown up, then this is far more satisfying, I suspect, than Smile ever would have been. Maybe they weren’t really surfers or hot rodders, but they were really Southern Californians, and that’s what their music was about.”

Warner Reprise tried to capitalise on this tentative appreciation. A full page advert was taken in Billboard, suggesting that people were now “buying the group’s albums late at night, just before the stores close. (They’d sandwich this group’s albums between something by Joe Cocker and one by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, so no one could see what they were buying.)” Sunflower was apparently “the best kept secret in the world… after all, who, in 1970, wanted surfing hot rodders?” The advert quoted a review in Rock magazine, which noted that “‘It’s About Time’ is a classic.”

By then, the band had worked hard to change their image. Immediately after the rejection from Warner Reprise, they had toured Australia and New Zealand. Halfway through the tour, they abandoned their striped shirt uniform, and wore their own clothes on stage for the first time. They toured again after the release of Sunflower: Mike wore a wide-brimmed hat, and faded, ripped jeans; Carl wore a cowboy shirt and a long beard. Each night, they ended their show with “It’s About Time.” It became freer, with added horns; Dennis played the organ, which became more prominent, with an extended intro, or fade.

Despite Sunflower’s poor sales, the band became a live draw, playing to college kids and rock fans too young to have bought the early hits. At the Big Sur Folk Festival, they played to “the sceptical audience’s thrilled reaction,” according to the Billboard advert. At Fillmore East, they played with The Grateful Dead, as hip looking kids danced and smiled incredulously. They played at protests in Washington, and soon supported Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. In October 1970, consecutive Rolling Stone covers commemorated the deaths of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix. For a while, “It’s About Time” — “I used to be a famous artist… I used to blow my mind sky high…” — became a statement about what The Beach Boys could be, or could have been, both personally and artistically.

Almost as soon as they finished “It’s About Time,” the band began recording their next album, Surf’s Up, following the same lead. Mike wrote “Student Demonstration Time,” about Kent State, and Carl wrote “Feel Flows,” meditating on the “message divine.” According to Richard Williams in Melody Maker, “suddenly, The Beach Boys are back in fashionable favour.” For the first time, the band were featured on the cover of Rolling Stone, with a lengthy feature spread over two issues. The next album, 1972’s Carl & The Passions — “So Tough”, came with Pet Sounds as a bonus disc, its first reissue. The Beach Boys became rock staples.

Despite this change in the band’s fortune, Bob never made it as a songwriter. Dennis didn’t contribute to Surf’s Up, focused instead on a stalled solo career, and Bob was cut off from the group. Ike and Tina Turner recorded his “Soul to Soul,” and The Voices of East Harlem did “Right On Be Free” but, within a year or so, his tentative pop career had faded. He watched from afar as The Beach Boys became accepted by the hip crowd, and began to sell records again, a countercultural commercial success, as cool as they had ever been.

Today, Bob lives in Santa Monica, not far from where Dennis drowned in 1983. He now works as a conservator, a painter of murals and trompe l’oeil in historic houses and celebrity mansions, and continues to write poetry. His hair is receding, and he keeps his circular spectacles on a black cord round his neck. Occasionally, he exhibits his paintings, large Hopperish, American Gothic oils, a little ominous and nostalgic, to little fanfare. He rarely speaks about “It’s About Time”.

Direct link: https://medium.com/@JPRobinson/the-forgotten-song-that-made-the-beach-boys-countercultural-2171d70b94e8

The Beach Boys - It's about time (live in New York 1971):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVqj1fUu7Cw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »

Great article! When touting Sunflower back in the early seventies, It's About Time was my go to first track to play for people who were into heavier sounds and not really much into The Beach Boys. Slip On Through and Got to Know the Woman were also good ones for those into heavier sounds, and Cool Cool Water always got a good reception. For those who were still BB fans (back in those lean years for the band) I'd go straight to Forever.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:51:30 PM »

Love this song. IMHO I wish they had continued in this vein; if they had, maybe they'd have gotten more credit on "classic rock" radio.

Thanks for posting this, btw...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »

It's a good song but was it really that important for them? I can't tell because I wasn't there at the time but for me it always seemed like Surf's Up was what saved their career in the early 70s. The positive reviews for Sunflower might have helped, though. While I do like It's About Time it always sounded a little forced to me, like they were trying a little too hard to fit in with the times. Stuff like Feel Flows and especially the Holland album are much better examples of the BB finding a distinctive 70s sound of their own.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »

Love this song. IMHO I wish they had continued in this vein; if they had, maybe they'd have gotten more credit on "classic rock" radio. ...

Agreed.

...  While I do like It's About Time it always sounded a little forced to me, like they were trying a little too hard to fit in with the times. Stuff like Feel Flows and especially the Holland album are much better examples of the BB finding a distinctive 70s sound of their own. ...

Agreed again.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:14:32 AM »

I am a fan of the song, but to be honest I've never escaped the feeling that it is more than a nice but relatively minor song in the Beach Boys catalog, even on the same album i'd put Forever, This Whole World, Add Some Music, Our Sweet Love ect before it. I like it about the same as something like Deirdre. (but definitely more than Tears In the Morning!)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:15:11 AM by SamMcK » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:04 AM »

Nice article. I remember back in the late nineties when Sunflower and all the 70s albums were out of print but for some reason a dutch cd single of tears in the morning/its about time was released. This was my 1st time hearing "It's about time"....really surprised me how heavy it sounded. Listened to it over and over.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:59:47 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:14 AM »

It's About Time was a concert closer for them for a while and it was fantastic - didn't sound forced at all to me.  I think it closed the Central Park concert, didn't it?  The cool think is the Beach boys could do heavier rock when the inspiration struck them and do it well - just as they could also do soul music (Wild Honey album), avant garde pop, roots rock, even country.  Their versatility and the range of musical genres they expolored is what makes them a great band.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »

Nice article. I remember back in the late nineties when Sunflower and all the 70s albums were out of print but for some reason a dutch cd single of tears in the morning/its about time was released. This was my 1st time hearing "It's about time"....really surprised me how heavy it sounded. Listened to it over and over.

That Dutch CD single was actually essentially the "single" pulled from the European "Dutch Singles Collection" compilation. Strange indeed, but that single and the full CD compilation itself were, for a few years there in the 90s, the only way to get some "Brother" era tracks that were otherwise out of print.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »

Fascinating article. Thanks, Rocker. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »

The lyrics sound like a reference to brother Brian even though they're sung in the first person:

I used to be a famous artist
Proud as I could be
Struggling to express myself
For the whole world to see
I used to blow my mind sky high
Searching for the lost elation

and then there's:

And now I'm but a child who art
Erect in humility
Serving out of love, everyone I meet
In truth who are really me

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »

That Same Song: The Forgotten Tune Where The Beach Boys Found Themselves a Rock Style

The Private Life of Bill and Sue: The Forgotten Song In Which The Beach Boys Watch Jersey Shore

Too Much Sugar: The Forgotten Song That Helped Brian Wilson Get into Shape
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:19:46 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 02:05:16 AM »

I still say that in my world, a junior in college, that SDT was what got them back on the FM dial that Summer, 1971. Things took off after SU was released. WMMS in Cleveland is no slouch. When they played that song in the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday that mid-Summer day, I jumped out of my deck chair and yelled YESSSSS!!! They are back!! I was not wrong. The proximity of KSU to CLE probably helped get this done. It was one of those most memorable moments in my BB recollections.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 07:56:07 AM »

I remember hearing Surf's Up as the new album of the week on FM100 in Memphis. I had already done my fair share of calling in BB song requests to them and even getting a few of them played. The SU album made that easier.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 10:47:58 PM »

Feel Flows was the most frequently played track off of the Surf's Up album on progressive rock KGB-FM in San Diego. They starting playing it a couple of days before the album hit the record stores, and I'll never forget the first time I heard it - tuning in during the instrumental bridge and then jumping up when I heard Carl's voice and realized I was listening to a trippy new song by the Beach Boys.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 05:15:36 AM »

These are cool stories. Being a Beach Boys fan in the 70s must have been a wild ride.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 07:32:51 AM »

I still say that in my world, a junior in college, that SDT was what got them back on the FM dial that Summer, 1971. Things took off after SU was released. WMMS in Cleveland is no slouch. When they played that song in the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday that mid-Summer day, I jumped out of my deck chair and yelled YESSSSS!!! They are back!! I was not wrong. The proximity of KSU to CLE probably helped get this done. It was one of those most memorable moments in my BB recollections.

They also played SDT live regularly and it definitely seems that it resonated with people. I love that song and think Mike's lyrics are very good, though some peope critisize them. Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker, but I can't understand why.

Feel Flows was the most frequently played track off of the Surf's Up album on progressive rock KGB-FM in San Diego. They starting playing it a couple of days before the album hit the record stores, and I'll never forget the first time I heard it - tuning in during the instrumental bridge and then jumping up when I heard Carl's voice and realized I was listening to a trippy new song by the Beach Boys.

Carl and Jack Rieley came up with some great tunes. Just look at "The Trader", what a great composition (lyrically and musically) that is. I wish the two of them had worked on more songs together.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 12:44:01 PM »

With the release of "Feel Flows" I thought now would be as good a time as any to bring this article up again, in case someone hasn't read it.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 08:17:29 PM »

With the release of "Feel Flows" I thought now would be as good a time as any to bring this article up again, in case someone hasn't read it.
Thanks, I hadn’t seen it before now

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 01:25:52 PM »

That Same Song: The Forgotten Tune Where The Beach Boys Found Themselves a Rock Style

The Private Life of Bill and Sue: The Forgotten Song In Which The Beach Boys Watch Jersey Shore

Too Much Sugar: The Forgotten Song That Helped Brian Wilson Get into Shape
LOL LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx