gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:01:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Mike COULD get the Presidential Medal of Freedom  (Read 1911 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the highest honour bestowed on an American civilian. Categorically, the award has been given to several individuals in the Arts community, and music specifically, including Dylan, Springsteen, and James Taylor.

I believe that The Beach Boys culturally significant contribution to America is unquestionable and as such, all members should be considered for the Medal. However, it does seem to be a purely individualistic award.

The reason I single out Mike as a candidate is more circumstance than anything else I suppose. His contributions to the music aside, the following reasons are why I think Mike could get the award, if someone was pushing the agenda. (How recipients are determined, I don't know)

-Mike has a good relationship with the current President
-The former President handed out a record number of these medals.
-If the current President was told that the former President handed out a large number of these medals, I believe the current President would make it a priority to hand out a greater number of said awards. (Ideally he would probably want to rescind the awards given by the former President, but because that is not possible, topping the number given would be a priority)
-The current President would have a much narrower field (in the Arts community) of potential recipients based on his smaller support level within many artistic communities. As such, his short list for recipients could easily include Mike.
-The current President appears to make decisions impulsively at times, and also appears to focus almost single handed at issues if someone 'has his ear'. If Mike had a Kim Kardashian-like representative getting the idea in front of The President, it might be a done deal.
-I believe the President will enjoy giving out awards to people he likes.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »

Ignoring the political crap entirely -- it should be ALL of the Beach Boys principals (Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dennis, Carl, David, Blondie, and Ricky) who get such awards, not just one or two individuals, imo.

Why haven't the other BB principals been given the Kennedy Center Award already? They gave it to the Who -- and they're not even Americans!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:59:06 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »

I say that Mike's a shoo-in for this year's Nobel Peace Prize in Literature, now that they award it to musicians!
I mean, after all, didn't he write...

Doing unto others is the golden rule
But doing it with you would be so
Very cool
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »

Quote from: Emdeeh
it should be ALL of the Beach Boys principals (Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dennis, Carl, David, Blondie, and Ricky) who get such awards, not just one or two individuals
Well said.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:00:02 AM »

I say that Mike's a shoo-in for this year's Nobel Peace Prize in Literature, now that they award it to musicians!
I mean, after all, didn't he write...

Doing unto others is the golden rule
But doing it with you would be so
Very cool

LOL LOL
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 01:28:03 AM »

But Brian only got the Kennedy Award, so it wouldn't be right if Mike topped him with the Presidential. Give that to all BB principals for their ENORMOUS contibution to American culture, I'd have no problem with that.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx