gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:49:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alan's Album Archives book-Add Some Music To Your Day  (Read 2441 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:44 AM »

Anyone read this massive tome available digitally on Amazon? It reviews, in great detail, every Beach Boys album, plus non-album  and previously unreleased tracks. I half recommend it. For reviews, it's a fun although very long read (the author is not crazy about Pet Sounds but loves Smile), especially the overviews before the songs are analyzed. The problem is that there are numerous factual boo-boos. Two examples — the author writes that Brian and Marilyn were married for 25 years (it was about 15 years), and that when Brian had his '64 breakdown, the plane turned around (no, Brian and the group few on to Houston and he played the show that night, then returned the next day, at least according to official accounts).
https://www.amazon.ca/Alans-Album-Archives-Guide-Music-ebook/dp/B07DG3SQT8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1531233077&sr=1-1&keywords=add+some+music+to+your+day
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. Sounds like its all available on his blog already, but I'll probably get it on my phone as a good "drop-in" book for when I'm out and about, like I did with the Hickey books.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »

I was working on something similar before my most recent stroke...kind of wish I had finished it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:06:09 AM »

I was working on something similar before my most recent stroke...kind of wish I had finished it!
Take care...
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:40:30 PM »

Intelligent guy, but has way too high an opinion of his musical taste/knowledge. Needs an editor!

Litmus test for me is always how someone handles "Mess of Help": he gets the idea of how it should be approached (discussing it in the context of "Good Vibrations"), but then he just completely blows it, takes the idea into distressingly predictable directions--unable to hear or appreciate the complexity, particularly in the tag--and apparently wanting it to be more llike Little Feat or something. FAIL!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx