gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:49:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sounds of Summer back on the billboard 200  (Read 10375 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 06:19:41 AM »

In addition to Common thread, there was the live album Hell Freezes Over, which contained a tantalizing four new songs. I'd think that one also spurred the massive sales to follow.

And of course their GH vol.1 sold Thriller level.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 06:37:38 AM »

I would imagine it depends on what the definition of a "comeback" is. It depends not only on the success of the "comeback project" in question, but also on how "down" the artist was beforehand. The "Red" and "Blue" albums had very far-reaching impacts on the Beatles' long-term legacy (Howie Edelson's "Fabcast" did some great episodes on those albums, properly contextualizing those albums which have been a bit more ignored/derided in the CD/digital age). But, while the Beatles (old back catalog and individual solo careers) were on a downturn in 1972 leading into those albums, they were collectively and separately still more in the news/successful/on the radar than the Beach Boys had been around the same time period.

I'd also frame a "comeback" in the literal sense of reactivating and selling tour tickets (or reissues of old recordings) as different from a comeback that constitutes *new* music. In that sense, both "Endless Summer" and the Red/Blue Beatles albums were mostly the former rather than the latter.

Likely more rare is jumpstarting a "comeback" first and foremost with an album of new music (and/or a single). One has the momentary impulse to then start talking about "Kokomo", but that was a fluke/anomaly that *didn't* lead to any further imminent chart/sales success nor critically-lauded new material.

I'd also say, going back to the comeback of a *brand*, that C50 in 2012 was maybe even more impressive than some fans realize. As was said back then, they took an "AARP brand" and turned it back into an arena act. Frankie Valli to Mick Jagger (as Howie Edelson put it) in the band's 50th year when the guys were hitting their 70s. That's *extremely* rare.

The difference of course with C50 is that while Mike and the other band members generally (at the time anyway) embraced "Endless Summer" and later "Kokomo", one member (Mike; well two if we include Bruce) *walked away* from their amazing 2012 comeback while it was still a going concern with more potential. Imagine Mike quitting the band in 1975 after "Endless Summer" had been #1 and they were Rolling Stone's band of the year. Imagine Mike quitting in late 1988 right after "Kokomo" hit #1.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:45:10 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »

Up to #185 this week

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KDS
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »

Up to #185 this week

I wonder if the XM / Sirius Channel has anything to do with that, and I wonder if that channel might cause a bump on sales of any other BB related release. 
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »

I'd also say, going back to the comeback of a *brand*, that C50 in 2012 was maybe even more impressive than some fans realize. As was said back then, they took an "AARP brand" and turned it back into an arena act. Frankie Valli to Mick Jagger (as Howie Edelson put it) in the band's 50th year when the guys were hitting their 70s. That's *extremely* rare.

Well said. It's kind of crazy. It's an obvious point, but it shows you the massively unrealized potential of this brand. There is a huge audience that was hungry for that comeback story.  Sad

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »

Up to #185 this week

I wonder if the XM / Sirius Channel has anything to do with that, and I wonder if that channel might cause a bump on sales of any other BB related release. 

The longer it sticks around on the charts this summer, the more I think it's the Sirius channel pushing it. While Sounds Of Summer has re-entered the charts numerous times, it has only re-entered for extended periods twice (2012 and to a lesser extent 2015). Obviously, there was a lot of buzz in 2012 with C50 and in 2015 with No Pier Pressure and the Love & Mercy film. I wouldn't be surprised if 50 Big Ones re-enters at some point. Could be cool to see what other albums might re-enter.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

For a moment there I thought this was about Endless Summer being back on the charts, now THAT would have been news!

Has any other band ever enjoyed such a comeback on the strength of a comp alone?

None that I can think of.

Nor, can I think of a compilation that so damaged a band's creativity. 

The Eagles, I'd say. After that country tribute album "Common Thread" (the inspiration for "Stars & Stripes" and other less-successful projects) brought the members together to shoot a video for Travis Tritt's entry on that project, the Eagles decided to reunite. What followed was a multi-platinum album a year later and a massively successful reunion tour that was running for years. The joke was that the album and tour were called "Hell Freezes Over", as in that was when the band thought they would reunite to make music together.

I'd say a compilation of Eagles hits done on that tribute did indeed lead to an unexpected and unplanned comeback for the band that sold more albums (of new original material) than most of the Beach Boys output taken as a whole after Endless Summer for the next few decades.

So there's that one, haha.

I don't know if it's a true comparable though. There was never any doubt that if and when Eagles were to reunite it would be a massive success. Yes, Common Thread was a catalyst for the band getting together, but Azoff had been working Don and Glenn for years, and it was inevitable. In a way the tribute album benefitted more from the ongoing popularity of the band, than it did to reignite interest. The interest was constant. And Frey and Henly had decent solo careers throughout the 80's.

Whereas The Beach Boys had kept going throughout and has seen a dip in popularity. Endless Summer brought people back.
KDS
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »

Up to #185 this week

The longer it sticks around on the charts this summer, the more I think it's the Sirius channel pushing it. While Sounds Of Summer has re-entered the charts numerous times, it has only re-entered for extended periods twice (2012 and to a lesser extent 2015). Obviously, there was a lot of buzz in 2012 with C50 and in 2015 with No Pier Pressure and the Love & Mercy film. I wouldn't be surprised if 50 Big Ones re-enters at some point. Could be cool to see what other albums might re-enter.

It's not unusual to see Sounds of Summer and Pet Sounds show up in the charts during the summer months. 

While it might not register in Billboard, I'd love to see if there's a spike in sales / streams of Beach Boys albums other than Pet Sounds. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »

Worth noting is that between 1991 and 2009, albums were bumped off the "Top 200" chart after 18 months and falling below position #100.

So once albums slipped below #100 and were more than 18 months old, they were moved to the "Catalog Albums" chart. I remember this because Beatles albums around certain time periods (e.g. the "Anthology" in 95/96, etc.) would spike in sales but be ineligible for the "Top 200" chart even if sales warranted it. I remember hearing people talk about the YEARS albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Thriller" had spent on the charts, and I remember thinking how any comparison to a new album released after 1991 was largely invalid (unless somehow albums could maintain a position above 100 for years and years without slipping to 101 or below even once).

"Sounds of Summer" may have spiked between 2004/05 and 2009 but wouldn't have appeared during those years in the Top 200 even if sales justified it.

From Wikipedia:

On May 25, 1991, Billboard premiered the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. The criteria for this chart were albums that were more than 18 months old and had fallen below position 100 on the Billboard 200.[6] An album needed not have charted on the Billboard 200 at all to qualify for catalog status.

Starting with the issue dated December 5, 2009, however, the catalog limitations which removed albums over 18 months old, that have dropped below position 100 and have no currently-running single, from the Billboard 200 was lifted, turning the chart into an all-inclusive list of the 200 highest-selling albums in the country (essentially changing Top Comprehensive Albums into the Billboard 200). A new chart that keeps the previous criteria for the Billboard 200 (dubbed Top Current Albums) was also introduced in the same issue.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:03:43 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »

For a moment there I thought this was about Endless Summer being back on the charts, now THAT would have been news!

Has any other band ever enjoyed such a comeback on the strength of a comp alone?

None that I can think of.

Nor, can I think of a compilation that so damaged a band's creativity. 

The Eagles, I'd say. After that country tribute album "Common Thread" (the inspiration for "Stars & Stripes" and other less-successful projects) brought the members together to shoot a video for Travis Tritt's entry on that project, the Eagles decided to reunite. What followed was a multi-platinum album a year later and a massively successful reunion tour that was running for years. The joke was that the album and tour were called "Hell Freezes Over", as in that was when the band thought they would reunite to make music together.

I'd say a compilation of Eagles hits done on that tribute did indeed lead to an unexpected and unplanned comeback for the band that sold more albums (of new original material) than most of the Beach Boys output taken as a whole after Endless Summer for the next few decades.

So there's that one, haha.

He may not have been a band, and he unfortunately died 25 years before, but the album ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits (along with the remix of "A Little Less Conversation" created a several-year comeback. "A Little Less Conversation" (remix), "Rubberneckin'" (remix), "That's All Right" (reissue), and "Heartbreak Hotel" (reissue) all topped the singles sales charts from 2002-2006 and "That's All Right" and "Good Rockin' Tonight" finally went gold. There was the 2nd to None compilation and the Elvis by the Presleys project, both of which charted well.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 01:37:00 AM »

Worth noting is that between 1991 and 2009, albums were bumped off the "Top 200" chart after 18 months and falling below position #100.

So once albums slipped below #100 and were more than 18 months old, they were moved to the "Catalog Albums" chart. I remember this because Beatles albums around certain time periods (e.g. the "Anthology" in 95/96, etc.) would spike in sales but be ineligible for the "Top 200" chart even if sales warranted it. I remember hearing people talk about the YEARS albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Thriller" had spent on the charts, and I remember thinking how any comparison to a new album released after 1991 was largely invalid (unless somehow albums could maintain a position above 100 for years and years without slipping to 101 or below even once).

"Sounds of Summer" may have spiked between 2004/05 and 2009 but wouldn't have appeared during those years in the Top 200 even if sales justified it.

From Wikipedia:

On May 25, 1991, Billboard premiered the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. The criteria for this chart were albums that were more than 18 months old and had fallen below position 100 on the Billboard 200.[6] An album needed not have charted on the Billboard 200 at all to qualify for catalog status.

Starting with the issue dated December 5, 2009, however, the catalog limitations which removed albums over 18 months old, that have dropped below position 100 and have no currently-running single, from the Billboard 200 was lifted, turning the chart into an all-inclusive list of the 200 highest-selling albums in the country (essentially changing Top Comprehensive Albums into the Billboard 200). A new chart that keeps the previous criteria for the Billboard 200 (dubbed Top Current Albums) was also introduced in the same issue.

This is a really good point, detailing one of the dumbest album chart position decisions ever made by Billboard.

If an album is selling, it's selling, regardless of when it was released and how long it's been on the charts.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »

A massive jump of 52 spots this week, will we crack the 100 albums in America? Find out next week on chart watch

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 05:00:51 PM »

Although flawed in a couple areas The Greatest Hits Vol 1, 2 & 3 are by far my favorite and I believe the best compilations done by the band.

Other standouts include the Capitol years box set, endless harmony soundtrack,  GV 30 years of box, original gold, Hawthorne CA, platinum collection and the  warmth of the sun

dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »

I have bought this album on both iTunes and CD form the last 10 years so I know I’ve dknt my part in the past Cool Guy

With that said, I saw the vinyl version at Barnes and Noble yesterday and wanted to know if my buying it at the store would actually affect the ranking. I have a hard time believing half that stuff gets reported to the proper parties. I can see how digital download would be easily reported since it’s all automated and just a few platforms are in the business. However, I just don’t see how your local bookstore is really going to be on the ball.

Also, don’t double albums count as two?

I’m really tempted to drop the $25 for the double vinyl since it’s a great compilation in any format and I’d love to help the sales rankings out. I figure since so few albums are ever actually bought, it’d probably have a meaningful effect especially if the board here did the same. I’m not saying we’ll get it to #1 but didn’t someone say how like 4-5 actual album sales is enough to get you in the top 200 or something?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 05:26:53 PM »

Dropped to #171 this week. Perhaps it will jump back up next week.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx